• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge Magazine: The 100 Greatest Videogames 2017 Edition

correojon

Nah. Awful way to create a list.

This would mean that Justin Bieber is the best songwriter ever, beaten out the "old" generation like Mozart.
While Vanilla Ice is a top 20 artists because it is still fresh.
No, the list is saying that stuff like Queen is awesome too and it will amaze you, even if the band hasn't been dead more than 30 years, which may seem too little compared to the time for the "proper" songwriters like Mozart.

There have been good lists before. I recall IGN surprisingly making a pretty good list of top 100 RPGs, that fucking trumped Game Informer's list of 100 RPGs that was coincidentally going on at the same time as IGN's list.

Sure there will be a few things that will be pointed out, but a good list with an overall consensus of good games going for it is possible. As is possible for there to be a utterly terrible list. Especially when your lists sets ground rules it doesn't even follow.

Fucking "each game had to stand up today rather than making the cut for reasons of nostalgia or historic significance", yet Earthbound is fucking on there. Not saying Earthbound ain't playable these days, but there are many classic games that are playable today that are absent here. Absent in exchange for some random fucking games that no one (again, Far Cry 4, fucking random as fuck) cares about. And I'm going to be honest here. I like Super Hexagon. It's a fun little game to play for a few minutes when you're bored. But they're telling me that is one of the top 100 games ever over so many great classics that are still very playable today? Eat my ass.

Actually, looking at the 2015 list, it's very obvious they just used that as a base chucked a couple of new things in and called it a day.

The core of the list is very much the same. Really lazy, honestly.

The explains bizarre additions like Far Cry 4 (because it was new back then)

Why do they say there's only one entry per series allowed but then put a bunch of Mario and Zelda games in? Are those exempt for some reason?

I guess it was restricted to numbered sequels, but it's unreasoned given that there are non-numbered games in various series' that have more in common than, say, Final Fantasy XII and Final Fantasy VI. If their goal was to avoid including similar titles in a series, the criteria used to derive these results utterly failed them.

Takyon

SM3DW at 48
pRSQLN.gif

Yeahyuhhz

Anyway, this "100 best games" format just creates too much argument. It squishes everything into a numbered qualitative and then says that number 24, which may be a platformed, is objectively better than 29, which is a RTS.

I prefer the "if you can only play 100 games, these are the ones you should choose" kinda thing. Doesn't pit games against each other and highlights the diversity of the medium.

These threads are so stupid. They make these lists specifically for traffic, even though they’re generally correct. Stop shitting your pants about placement of certain games.

DxD

Banned
No, the list is saying that stuff like Queen is awesome too and it will amaze you, even if the band hasn't been dead more than 30 years, which may seem too little compared to the time for the "proper" songwriters like Mozart.

So, is Justin or Taylor the #1 artist ever?

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
It's a good thing these threads exists. No reason why list articles should get the clicks.

I don't think I can be bothered to get outraged over this like I have with similar lists in the past. I'd say it leans a but too heavily on modern games and with some classics missing, but overall it's a solid list. Although Far Cry 4 being there at all is just odd.

I can't wait for us to look back five years from now and wonder what the fuck were we thinking with all of this unwarranted BotW praise. What a joke.

F!ReW!Re

If this list was without rankings it would be a pretty good Top 100 games ever list.

People freak out once rankings get added.

Shit list.

There's no:

Pokemon
Starcraft: Brood War
Daytona USA
Rocket League
Virtua Fighter 2
Virtual On
NBA 2K series
Winning Eleven / Pro Evolution Soccer
Falcon 4.0
Flight Simulator X
Command & Conquer: Red Alert
The Ancient Art of War
Archon
Yar's Revenge
Sonic 2
Shinobi
Virtua Cop
Wii Sports
Dragonforce
Odin Sphere
Guitar Hero
Astroboy: Omega Factor

weltalldx

Too much bias and emphasis toward recent western games. However, BOTW definitely belongs in the number 1 spot and that acknowledgement somewhat redeems the questionable objectivity of the list.

I can't wait for us to look back five years from now and wonder what the fuck were we thinking with all of this unwarranted BotW praise. What a joke.

It still blows my mind just how mad BOTW makes people.

Anyway, this "100 best games" format just creates too much argument. It squishes everything into a numbered qualitative and then says that number 24, which may be a platformed, is objectively better than 29, which is a RTS.

I prefer the "if you can only play 100 games, these are the ones you should choose" kinda thing. Doesn't pit games against each other and highlights the diversity of the medium.

Bingo. Saves so much undue anxiety if people started viewing these lists this way.

Van Bur3n

These threads are so stupid. They make these lists specifically for traffic, even though they’re generally correct. Stop shitting your pants about placement of certain games.

I'll just speak for myself when I say, I ain't shitting my pants over it. I ain't even mad. It's more so a case of you see something really disgusting, like someone shits in a condom and leaves it on the bathroom floor at a fast food restaurant and your reaction is "EEEUGH, JESUS WHY WOULD YOU-". That sort of gross.

And let's be real, this shit ain't correct. Ain't even generally correct.

If this list was without rankings it would be a pretty good Top 100 games ever list.

People freak out once rankings get added.

Bruv, you can take out the rankings all you want. But if I see Far Cry 4 or Super Hexagon there, imma (as our friend above put it) shit my pants regardless.

That's like me saying Bleed is a top 100 game. You ever heard of Bleed? Yeah, you haven't. And honestly? You don't want to. You know why? Because who cares about Bleed. Not even a bad game, it's just who cares about it (no one does if you really needed the question answered, by yours truly).

Servbot24

Banned
Totally serious question:

Do most people still consider The Last of Us a top-5 GOAT?

It was never in my top 5, but it has not lost value with age if that's what you're asking. Would be in my top 30 probably.

MGSV instead of MGS2 basically disqualifies this list.

They got this right :)

MGSV has infinitely better gameplay than 2. 2 is a "neater" package but that doesn't make up for the enormous gameplay discrepancy.

bomma_man

This would mean that Justin Bieber is the best songwriter ever, beaten out the "old" generation like Mozart.

A far worse m way to make a list is to include things based on perceived significance rather than genuine opinion.

An approach which you endorsed on a previous page.

Gurish

Totally serious question:

Do most people still consider The Last of Us a top-5 GOAT?

Yes, many people consider it to be one of the greatest and it's always ranked very high (top 5 high) on such lists made by "professional" critics.

I would also put it in my top 5, even top 3.

Servbot24

Banned

Why? It's a game that resonated deeply with a lot of people. How could you fault anyone for revering a game that stimulates such a profound personal reaction?

I don't get the "Actually you only think you like this game, trust me I'm smarter than you and you really hate it" posts

What? No one in the world thinks Bieber is better than Mozart except for teen girls. New games are frequently better than old games, while that is not the case with music. It's a nonsensical comparison.

Besides, you just made the argument that WoW should be on the list simply because it's popular. In that case of course Bieber would be on the music list as well along with Nickleback and Adele.

redcrayon

*sees Bloodbourne higher than Half Life 2*

ZBOTW no.1...!??

giphy.gif
Yes, it's completely unbelievable that a game dozens of critics rated as one of the best ever made should sit at the top of a list written by critics. :D

On balance, I think the list is best looked at as 'if you were getting into the hobby right now, here's an accessible top 100 that's worth looking at'.

i personally dislike most of the top 10 but you could make a great case for every single game, which makes it a good list. definitely here for BotW at #1, too.

Storm Brewer

Neo Member
Man I get the focus on games that are playable today, but there's an odd lack of pc classics in general.
None of:
Fallout (even the modern ones)
Deus Ex (ditto)
Planescape
Warcraft (even world of!)
Baldur's gate 2
System shock 2 (but we got bioshock?)
Any classic adventure game from LucasArts
Vampire the masquerade
Thief 1 or 2

I've played a good chunk of those in the last two years and they're still fantastic, even by today's standards (or in some cases especially by today's standards...)

Then if I look at the top 50, the RPGs we have are

Souls series
Skyrim
Fire emblem fates
Horizon
And debatably breath of the wild?

No mention of classics that are still perfectly playable today like chrono trigger or even paper mario, it's kinda blowing my mind.

Still a decent list overall, but definitely feels like there are genre/platform gaps.

Edit: ironically I forgot to mention half-life 2, which honestly having played somewhat recently didn't really grab me, and falls prey to the seinfield effect a lot, which kinda goes aganist the point of their list no?

Maridia

I think it's a great list. I'd personally switch around #1 and #2, but I've been known to be pretty resistant to change, so who knows.

Also, if I were to make an all time list, it wouldn't include anything less than five years old, but I think that doing what they've done is pretty ballsy and admirable. Video games are, after all, a rapidly changing art form.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Already? Did they at least write new articles for the games that were featured in the last one? In 2015 I was super disappointed because they just copy pasted some of the texts from vol.1 to vol.2...

Joe T.

These lists would be better off without the numbering and inherent squabbling that comes along with it, though I imagine that's their primary goal.

D_prOdigy

A list of fantastic games.

I respect the method in regards to series entries.

But as a result of that, I feel like Edge needs someone on the team to point out things like Fire Emblem Awakening is markedly better than Fates.

And I don't know if there's an argument that the first Advance Wars is better than 2 or Dual Strike.

Won't find any arguments from me about BOTW being number 1.

hydruxo

Ctrl+F "New Vegas"

Absolutely disgusting. I'm seeing shit like Super Hexagon, Hyper Light Drifter, Titanfall 2, Far Cry 4, Destiny, and some weeb shit on this fucking list but not Fallout New Vegas? Gives me conniptions.

Ctrl+F "Fallout"

My fucking god there isn't even a Fallout game on here. This list is literally ass. Whoever made this list is wrong. Objectively so. I confirmed this. Creator(s) of this list, you disgust me.

My god. Someone burn this magazine. One of the worst lists I've ever witnessed. Edge you're terrible. You even give the WWE superstar a bad name and there isn't even a correlation.

Sounds about right. TW3 is better than New Vegas.

jariw

FWIW, most of Bieber's songs are made by a team of 5+ creators.

LotusHD

Banned
As someone who has no love for open world games and is partway through BotW right now, I'm honestly shocked at how good it is. Like I can't even understand it.

My only major qualm with it was its story, but other than that, yea, that was an excellent ass game.

Why? It's a game that resonated deeply with a lot of people. How could you fault anyone for revering a game that stimulates such a profound personal reaction?

I don't get the "Actually you only think you like this game, trust me I'm smarter than you and you really hate it" posts

It's a deeply flawed game that will not stand the test of time as other open world games and Zelda sequels address the glaring issues with dungeons, story, rewards, progression/pacing, and difficulty. It's the same reason a game like the original Animal Crossing will never be remembered as subsequent sequels vastly improve on the formula with much more meaningful features and substance despite how novel it was at the time. The game will forever be pigeon holed as a less than stellar open world game that lags behinds it's successors but is so far removed from its predecessors that original fans won't care either.

Stiler

They should rename this list the best modern console focused games.

No Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, Myst, Silent Hill, Gabriel Knight, Monkey Island, etc.

They basically ignored everything before the 2000's it seems.

Top Bottom