• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: "Meet NeoGAF, the hardcore community shaping the games media agenda"

And what exactly is neogaf's contribution to society?

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

cool story...

I remember hearing about this place when David Jaffe was still hot in the industry...He always shouting out "I love the guys over at the NeoGaf"..and I'm just like who the fook is that?

Been lurking for a little while, but joined recently to express myself...very cool place..I am a long time poster over at E-mpire and love small communities better because we usually become real friends when the community is smaller. This place is a little intimidated tbh, and it's blocked at work! -_- But I ended up posting anyway, there's some immaturity (just like in real life) but there's more good than bad here.

Biggest pet-peeves

The quote mechanic doesn't work all time time. I don't really understand how you guys keep up with discussions here because when someone quotes me there's no notifications or anything like other sites. That would be a very big help. No contribution notes for a user to give some rep for or just a tks for a well-written post. Commendation goes a long way, and it doesn't have to turn into a stat or anything, but it would be nice to be able to thank our users. Negative rating systems are not needed however.

Vire

cool story...

I remember hearing about this place when David Jaffe was still hot in the industry...He always shouting out "I love the guys over at the NeoGaf"..and I'm just like who the fook is that?

Been lurking for a little while, but joined recently to express myself...very cool place..I am a long time poster over at E-mpire and love small communities better because we usually become real friends when the community is smaller. This place is a little intimidated tbh, and it's blocked at work! -_- But I ended up posting anyway, there's some immaturity (just like in real life) but there's more good than bad here.

Biggest pet-peeves

The quote mechanic doesn't work all time time. I don't really understand how you guys keep up with discussions here because when someone quotes me there's no notifications or anything like other sites. That would be a very big help. No contribution notes for a user to give some rep for or just a tks for a well-written post. Commendation goes a long way, and it doesn't have to turn into a stat or anything, but it would be nice to be able to thank our users. Negative rating systems are not needed however.

You actually get that with GAF Gold edition.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Nice try. I've been asking for animated sigs for years -- they make otherwise mediocre forums actually pretty entertaining and interesting. But you'll find that despite the name there's not really much "Neo" in GAF. The Powers That Be would prefer we all remain in The Stone Age.

Kind of interesting when you think about it. Wonder it it's because they feel that they can exert stronger control over us by not letting us express ourselves in many ways, or catching up with a lot of recent innovations in social networking.
co-signed dammit Astrolad

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Am I the only one who came for the news, but stayed for the gifs?

Burt

Also, think about this: In the years since GAF came out, Facebook, Twitter, and Spotify have all launched. And yet when you read GAF you would barely even know it. Doesn't that seem a little ... wrong/stifling? How do users gain from a select few basically deciding to ignore the last decade of advancements in social media? Because that is what NeoGAF is after all...social media. And that's why these issues matter.

Yes, I almost never hear about Twitter or Facebook on NeoGAF. It's borderline criminal. Our inability to turn every post into a tweet and post via tweet and put tweets in our post-tweets and broadcast it all on Facebook so we can cross-like and look into the personal information of everybody on GAF is a god damn travesty.

Shame on you EvilLore, for supporting a focus on discussion and content instead of letting us use GAF to spam "loltaku" on any and all social media.

Violet_0

Banned
Yes, I almost never hear about Twitter or Facebook on NeoGAF. It's borderline criminal. Our inability to turn every post into a tweet and post via tweet and put tweets in our post-tweets and broadcast it all on Facebook so we can cross-like and look into the personal information of everybody on GAF is a god damn travesty.

Shame on you EvilLore, for supporting a focus on discussion and content instead of letting us use GAF to spam "loltaku" on any and all social media.

check out post #1401

Toparaman

Banned

This. I love how elegant the NeoGAF user-interface is. It definitely does not need obnoxious animated sigs, or social network buttons.

That said, the one practical feature that should be added is a "Like" or "+1" button. Sometimes I have nothing more to say than "I agree" or "LOL", but I don't want to clutter the thread with such posts. Whereas when I disagree with something or dislike something I usually want to write a response.

Embedded YT vids and quote notifications would also be nice.

Quasar

Also, think about this: In the years since GAF came out, Facebook, Twitter, and Spotify have all launched. And yet when you read GAF you would barely even know it. Doesn't that seem a little ... wrong/stifling? How do users gain from a select few basically deciding to ignore the last decade of advancements in social media? Because that is what NeoGAF is after all...social media. And that's why these issues matter.

What? Neogaf is loaded with twitter stuff. Facebook not so much. Maybe that says more about what networks videogame people use. I'll admit I'm still yet to get a fb account and don't feel any pressure to get one. I have more than enough other social media/communication tools.

Glix

GAF moderators/Evilore would probably argue that the First Amendment does not apply because of the number of foreigners on here. But even if that's true, shouldn't we demand more as users of the site when it comes to free speech?

I wish Wario64 would embrace twitter.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
What? Neogaf is loaded with twitter stuff. Facebook not so much. Maybe that says more about what networks videogame people use. I'll admit I'm still yet to get a fb account and don't feel any pressure to get one. I have more than enough other social media/communication tools.

Right, I don't mean citing to those as new sources, I mean having features such as seamless sharing, Likes, and even now a mobile platform. Again, NeoGAF talks about news from all over the place? But in terms of features it's stuck in the Old Age of the Internet.

Glix

Oh no. Neogaf tricked the games media into running news stories that people at Microsoft didn't like. Those poor games sites.

The article left out the part where as Gaf gets more notiriety, online journos are more and more afraid to steal threads and try and pass them off as their own articles.

Right, I don't mean citing to those as new sources, I mean having features such as seamless sharing, Likes, and even now a mobile platform. Again, NeoGAF talks about news from all over the place? But in terms of features it's stuck in the GOld Age of the Internet.

Yup.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
This. I love how elegant the NeoGAF user-interface is. It definitely does not need obnoxious animated sigs, or social network buttons.

That said, the one practical feature that should be added is a "Like" or "+1" button. Sometimes I have nothing more to say than "I agree" or "LOL", but I don't want to clutter the thread with such posts. Whereas when I disagree with something or dislike something I usually want to write a response.

Embedded YT vids and quote notifications would also be nice.
I like the +1 idea if it cuts down on "first post NAILS IT!" posts.

At first I was pissed when smileys were removed, but I've come to appreciate not having to scroll past post with just a
3vKOv2D.gif
in it, or the clever and provocative reply with 23 of them. I also like the lack of signatures here, just more crap to scroll through.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Right, I don't mean citing to those as new sources, I mean having features such as seamless sharing, Likes, and even now a mobile platform. Again, NeoGAF talks about news from all over the place? But in terms of features it's stuck in the Old Age of the Internet.

Dude, that's where the charm and community come in. Two forums: GAMING and OT. Posters and mods organically decide which threads get viewed and which ones fall off the front page. Entertaining news always rises to the top. There's a little bit of cruff you have to wade through, but it's ultimately worth it.

I've not read the whole thread, but what is it you're really looking for feature-wise? They already made it so you could URL back to quoted text!

edit: oh shit, it seems like people want "upvoting" and "embedded youtube". fuuuuuck those.

Dude, that's where the charm and community come in. Two forums: GAMING and OT. Posters and mods organically decide which threads get viewed and which ones fall off the front page. Entertaining news always rises to the top. There's a little bit of cruff you have to wade through, but it's ultimately worth it.

I've not read the whole thread, but what is it you're really looking for feature-wise? They already made it so you could URL back to quoted text!

edit: oh shit, it seems like people want "upvoting" and "embedded youtube". fuuuuuck those.

Yeah---no, even reddit doesn't know how to use upvoting.

deleted

Meh, I much prefer watching videos on the same page than opening a ton of tabs. Could always implement a dropdown spoiler box to combat video spam.
I'm not near my PC right now, but that is how I watch neogaf. there is a Firefox add on that let's you view YouTube links embedded.

edit: what d4danger said

one thing I've learned, is how does neogaf have a reputation for being "strict"? Seriously, I want to know why it's strict. If not for the ban system, our rules would be far, far, far more lax then most big time game forums. On gamefaqs you get modded for telling someone to shut up.

Top Bottom