• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: Sony’s VR tech will be revealed at GDC

stryke

Kinda obvious already...

http://www.edge-online.com/news/son...esents-virtual-reality-gamings-greatest-hope/

Sony will reveal its Oculus Rift-beating VR headset at GDC next week, according to developers familiar with the tech.

A prototype is already in some thirdparty developers’ hands, who have told us that Sony’s VR headset is far superior to Oculus Rift’s first incarnation, though that is expected to even out a little with the arrival of Rift’s new, more advanced Crystal Cove devkit. They also said that there’s little software to speak of currently, but they expect to see something from one of Sony’s firstparty studios at GDC, even if it is just a tech demo.

There’s also no pressure on developers from platform holder Sony to adopt the tech; indeed, the studios we spoke to were excited by the technology, but questioned its viability as a platform. The cost of VR game development and its niche appeal means that many developers will wait and see how the Sony-authored experiences fare before committing to VR game development in earnest.

More in the link

Updates:

No filming sad.

64e7655fjw1eeiuyaifszj218g0xcnbe.jpg

thuway

It'll be up to first party to show the world how VR is done. The first real mainstream push at VR is among us folks. Bring on the Drive Club :).

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I like to see Sony try.

But a VR headset is really hard to market and garner support for.

Still, I am excite.

StuBurns

Banned
Someone who knows, pm me if I'll definitely need the PS4 camera so I can buy it before it gets even harder to find when they confirm it.

Frodo

Sony’s VR headset is far superior to Oculus Rift’s first incarnation

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does this mean it won't feature 1080p screens, since this is what Oculus Rift is targeting? (The first one ran at a much lower resolution, right?)

Don't these devices have to run two different images (at 60fps) to work (to give the desirable result)? This is the impression I've been left with by reading some of the articles about it. How could PS4 power a device like this?

Please, mind me, all honest questions.

Don't see any good chances of this being adopted in any significant manner, even if one of Sony's studios (read: Media Molecule) can pull off a quality, impressive product. Not this generation of systems and this particular accessory at least.

Edit: Will be exciting to see nonetheless.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
You're in the UK right? The camera is everywhere.

I'm in the US and I haven't seen one since Fry's sold out in late-November.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
As long as it doesn't only work on PS4 I'll be excited to see what they've got, Occulus needs some competition IMO.

Busty

Banned
I'm not a 'VR guy' at all but I just don't see the point in this at all beyond Sony's 'we did this because we could' mentality.

I'm assuming that this VR headset will be expensive (more expensive than the PS4 itself?) and likely only appeal to a small section of the console's audience. It seems strange for Sony to be willing to potentially fragment the PS4's audience so soon into the console's life.

I'm open to being proven wrong but given that I haven't seen anything but it still rings a little 'off' to me.

StuBurns

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong, but does this mean it won't feature 1080p screens, since this is what Oculus Rift is targeting? (The first one ran at a much lower resolution, right?)
The article suggests it's close to Crystal Cove, which is 1080p.
Don't these devices have to run two different images (at 60fps) to work (to give the desirable result)? This is the impression I've been left with by reading some of the articles about it.
60fps is pretty low for VR, but yes, two images, half of 1080p each most likely.
How could PS4 power a device like this?
That depends on the content. Could it run KZ:SF like that with no compromises? No.

iceatcs

What do you want to tell us?
I'm not a 'VR guy' at all but I just don't see the point in this at all beyond Sony's 'we did this because we could' mentality.

I'm assuming that this VR headset will be expensive (more expensive than the PS4 itself?) and likely only appeal to a small section of the console's audience. It seems strange for Sony to be willing to potentially fragment the PS4's audience so soon into the console's life.

I'm open to being proven wrong but given that I haven't seen anything but it still rings a little 'off' to me.

Just because Rift is damn too slow atm, I hope someone else doing then VR will get the boost or quicker into the market.

DLaicH

Don't these devices have to run two different images (at 60fps) to work (to give the desirable result)? This is the impression I've been left with by reading some of the articles about it. How could PS4 power a device like this?

I guess devs will just have to tone down some of the more computationally expensive visual effects. So the VR games won't have as flashy of graphics but they'll be way more immersive.

B.O.O.M

Media Molecue or Evolution studios

I guess DriveCub demo would make more sense given the emphasis on the first person driving aspect of the game

Hopefully they will stream it..would be dumb otherwise

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Good article, but I don't expect this to happen.

More complex, non-traditional controllers always excite and inspire game designers, but ultimately the simplest solution will surely win out. And it already exists; Dualshock 4’s light bar in concert with PlayStation Eye could offer both traditional and motion-based inputs for VR games, if executed well.

I mean, I can see the DS4 working fine with some VR stuff (just like 360 ones work fine with some Rift content), but I don't see it as a "solution" (to the VR UI dilemma) just because it has sensors in it.

Frodo

The article suggests it's close to Crystal Cove, which is 1080p.

60fps is pretty low for VR, but yes, two images, half of 1080p each most likely.

That depends on the content. Could it run KZ:SF like that with no compromises? No.

Thanks. I'm curious for the reveal. Let us see what they bring to the table.

Bradach

While I'm interested in what they'll show I think the Oculus Rift will be my VR of choice.
A VR skyrim type game will need a lot of power to run smoothly (I assume) and while the PS4 is a fine machine I'm skeptical as to how well it'll run VR games in the long term.

A bit like 3D. It was ok on PS3 but it was stunning on PC.

geordiemp

Don't see any good chances of this being adopted in any significant manner, even if one of Sony's studios (read: Media Molecule) can pull off a quality, impressive product. Not this generation of systems and this particular accessory at least.

Edit: Will be exciting to see nonetheless.

Why not. I will pre-order 2...am hyped.

All it takes is maybe 10 % of the Ps4 to be hyped for VR and soon they would have a million customers eager to buy VR software and obviously be the hardcore type buyer that spends allot on gaming technology.

I would not be so sure...

I'm excited for this, but think this will be a hard sell to the masses unless it's reasonably priced and has exceptionally good word of mouth.

As long as games come out "VR-enabled" like Move games I'm okay with this.

I have no interest in VR technology at the moment.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!

While I think the screen might be better, the "far superior" claim might largely be due to positional tracking being there (6DOF) compared to the pre-Crystal Cove Oculus Rift (which is only 3DOF).

acksman

While Sony may be on the bleeding edge and it will be mainstream in some form or another eventually. I just don't see this catering to the masses for just gaming yet. The only way they would be able to sell this is huge marketing making it look hip and not out of place. It will be a tough sell.

Grimløck;104051430 said:
hope it's not a gimmick like motion controls and voice commands.

Oculus Rift already shows that VR is a much bigger deal to traditional games than motion controls or voice commands. It really just comes down to how well the PS4 can handle it and which games can Sony manage to secure for it. They'd be foolish to not be pushing hard for Bungie to implement support for Destiny.

Steroyd

Sony not resting on their laurels? They dabbled in motion control with the eye-toy on PS2 and found success there but were caught with their pants down with the Wii, they've been looking into stuff like this for a long while even going back to Augmented Reality on the PSP.

I-hate-u

I don't want the first party to divert their attention and efforts into something that may or may not prove to be viable.

I can't fathom how any of the current crop of consoles have the power to push VR at an acceptable level. By acceptable I mean a combination of frame rate, resolution and image quality.

Top Bottom