• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous Standard Beta (Starting Jul 29th - $75)

bj00rn_

Banned
I changed the HUD colors to light blu-ish and suddenly I could read all text in the cockpit in my DK2 for the first time.. Amazing! :D

Did not realise this is so close to releasing! I haven't been following this at all lately but it looks awesome. Could someone give me a quick rundown on the game? Is it the full game releasing tomorrow? MY PC needs some love over the Christmas break so might have to jump in.

JambiBum

Getting dropped from the server randomly can sure get annoying. Hopefully they can fix it soon. Also, where is the option to change the color of the interface? I can't seem to find it.

Raytow

Getting dropped from the server randomly can sure get annoying. Hopefully they can fix it soon. Also, where is the option to change the color of the interface? I can't seem to find it.

Only by editing files so far, hopefully final release can be changed in options.

Buggy Loop

Just prepare yourselves this week, its unlikely you will be able to get a smooth stable connection, and i hope it doesnt get blown out of proportion, just give them a chance to fix the servers (which will likely be saturated tomorow).

Its always the same problem with server based games.

Klyka

Banned
Just prepare yourselves this week, its unlikely you will be able to get a smooth stable connection, and i hope it doesnt get blown out of proportion, just give them a chance to fix the servers (which will likely be saturated tomorow).

Its always the same problem with server based games.

And often it's not even the actual servers not coping,but the login/account servers

Serrato

Well just yesterday I was often kicked out of the game ''could not connect to matchmaking servers''.

I guess they have to fix things...

JambiBum

I plotted a course to get to Sol but I ran out of fuel and can't make my next system jump to a place with a station. I don't have a fuel scoop. Can I just supercruise there or can I not switch systems without fuel?

Klyka

Banned
Well just yesterday I was often kicked out of the game ''could not connect to matchmaking servers''.

I guess they have to fix things...

Well they had also just released a new patch that day too. I feel they are running a lot of tests on the servers befoe launch cause right now it is still "testing" phase.

Serrato

Well they had also just released a new patch that day too. I feel they are running a lot of tests on the servers befoe launch cause right now it is still "testing" phase.

Fair enough. I just was infuriating when I was near the end of a 100k Ls Supercruise, then to get disconnected, and reappear near the star again ;_;

Elfish

Still having my doubts to purchase this.

Is it playable with a Logitech Freedom 2.4 Cordless Joystick?
Or should I get the Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X instead?

Last space sim that I've played a lot was Freelancer though.

Klyka

Banned
Still having my doubts to purchase this.

Is it playable with a Logitech Freedom 2.4 Cordless Joystick?
Or should I get the Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X instead?

Last space sim that I've played a lot was Freelancer though.

I would wait till January to see if they manage to get grouping/"wings" added in then,like they said. Also over the holidays won't be many updates cause it's the holidays, so waiting isn't a bad idea.

Facism

can i run this with a 3.1ghz phenom II quadcore, 8gb ram and a gtx660? the min spec says yes, but sometimes ithat sort of thing isn't accurate.

shame my gpu is on lifesupport so i may have to replace that anyway :p

Klyka

Banned
can i run this with a 3.1ghz phenom II quadcore, 8gb ram and a gtx660? the min spec says yes, but sometimes ithat sort of thing isn't accurate.

Pretty sure you can run this, the game isn't very hardware intensive

Dougald

Should be fine, I could run it with no problems on my almost rusty 5770 before I upgraded. Just don't expect to run it on Ultra of course

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I plotted a course to get to Sol but I ran out of fuel and can't make my next system jump to a place with a station. I don't have a fuel scoop. Can I just supercruise there or can I not switch systems without fuel?

Nope, you're already dead unfortunately. Time to hit the self-destruct button.

Never leave home without a fuel scoop guys, it's probably one of the most important items in the game.

JambiBum

Nope, you're already dead unfortunately. Time to hit the self-destruct button.

Never leave home without a fuel scoop guys, it's probably one of the most important items in the game.

Yeah I just caused myself to blow up due to over heating near a sun. Sure was pretty though lol. Problem with adding a fuel scoop is that I have to lose something else valuable. Especially while using a eagle/sidewinder.

WGMBY

Yeah I just caused myself to blow up due to over heating near a sun. Sure was pretty though lol. Problem with adding a fuel scoop is that I have to lose something else valuable. Especially while using a eagle/sidewinder.

Yeah, on the sidewinder you need to choose between your shields, your cargo rack, and your discovery scanner, none of which are particularly appealing in the early game. I'm still trying to save enough credits for a Cobra so I can get a surface scanner and fuel scoop. Then I'll be off to the other side of the galaxy.

Klyka

Banned

If youever want to destroy yourself, there is a "self destruct" option under the functions menu for every ship.

RulkezX

I haven't followed this for a while, is there enough of a game here for someone to play solo ( ie buy / fight / trade elite style) to justify a purchase ?

Klyka

Banned
I haven't followed this for a while, is there enough of a game here for someone to play solo ( ie buy / fight / trade elite style) to justify a purchase ?

I give a cautious: yes.

Cautious because I don't know what you expect from the game.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.

I would like to know this too :) Very interested in buying this tomorrow but I don't know a huge amount about it.

Yes, that's kind of how the game is meant to be played I think. I'm sure grouping with friends to do stuff is great, but I haven't done that yet.

I mean, I know it's multi-player and everything, but for the most part you will be on your own, and I've loved every second of it.

la_briola

I would like to know this too :) Very interested in buying this tomorrow but I don't know a huge amount about it.

Yes.

This list is 10 days old (from the elite dangerous reddit):
  • Trade - Search for profitable trade routes. Buy goods at one station, sell at another.
  • Mine - Search for profitable mining locations. Shoot rocks with lasers, scoop, refine and sell results at a station.
  • Bounty hunt - Scan targets with a KWT, Kill wanted pilots at nav beacons, interdict wanted pilots and kill them, kill wanted pilots at resource extraction sites, kill wanted pilots at USS. Turn in bounties at stations.
  • Pirate - Search for targets at Nav beacons, SC and resource extraction sites, interdict them if in SC, Force pilots to drop their cargo or blow them up, sell ill gotten gains at stations with black markets.
  • Smuggler - Search for profitable smuggler routes. Buy legal goods at a station, sell the goods at a station where they are illegal.
  • Salvage - Find cargo at USS, sell the cargo at black markets.
  • Explorer - Fly to unexplored systems, scan them, surface scan astronomical bodies, sell the data at a station. Look for interesting/beautiful astronomical arrangements.
  • Missions - Trade missions, Hit/bounty hunt missions, combat missions, courier missions, philanthropic missions, pirate/smuggler/salvage missions.
  • Unidentified Signal sources - Mineral Magpies, wanted pilots (including ones from missions), cargo, clean traders, system authority ships.
  • Combat zones - Battles between two factions, join a faction and kill enemies for combat bonds, possible interaction with capital ships.
  • Progression elements - gain money, buy better ships /add ons, increase reputation, increase ranks.
  • Multiplayer - Play in the same instance as other players, do certain activities at the same time in the same instances as other players, text players that you can see, chat with 6 other CMDRs, kill other commanders (for the fun of it rather than as a pirate). Play in private group when the interaction with other players is limited to people in your private group.
  • Other - Fuel scoop, be the victim of an interdiction, Meta gaming the background simulation

tl;dr: Supercruising (Smuggling, Tradings, Salvaging, Exploring, Courier) Combat (Pirate, Bounty Hunter, Missions (Kill), Combat Zones) Mini Games (Mining, Fuel Scooping, Interdiction)

source: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/2ocrbn/list_of_things_you_can_do_in_game_currently/

Yes.

This list is 10 days old (from the elite dangerous reddit):
  • Trade - Search for profitable trade routes. Buy goods at one station, sell at another.
  • Mine - Search for profitable mining locations. Shoot rocks with lasers, scoop, refine and sell results at a station.
  • Bounty hunt - Scan targets with a KWT, Kill wanted pilots at nav beacons, interdict wanted pilots and kill them, kill wanted pilots at resource extraction sites, kill wanted pilots at USS. Turn in bounties at stations.
  • Pirate - Search for targets at Nav beacons, SC and resource extraction sites, interdict them if in SC, Force pilots to drop their cargo or blow them up, sell ill gotten gains at stations with black markets.
  • Smuggler - Search for profitable smuggler routes. Buy legal goods at a station, sell the goods at a station where they are illegal.
  • Salvage - Find cargo at USS, sell the cargo at black markets.
  • Explorer - Fly to unexplored systems, scan them, surface scan astronomical bodies, sell the data at a station. Look for interesting/beautiful astronomical arrangements.
  • Missions - Trade missions, Hit/bounty hunt missions, combat missions, courier missions, philanthropic missions, pirate/smuggler/salvage missions.
  • Unidentified Signal sources - Mineral Magpies, wanted pilots (including ones from missions), cargo, clean traders, system authority ships.
  • Combat zones - Battles between two factions, join a faction and kill enemies for combat bonds, possible interaction with capital ships.
  • Progression elements - gain money, buy better ships /add ons, increase reputation, increase ranks.
  • Multiplayer - Play in the same instance as other players, do certain activities at the same time in the same instances as other players, text players that you can see, chat with 6 other CMDRs, kill other commanders (for the fun of it rather than as a pirate). Play in private group when the interaction with other players is limited to people in your private group.
  • Other - Fuel scoop, be the victim of an interdiction, Meta gaming the background simulation

tl;dr: Supercruising (Smuggling, Tradings, Salvaging, Exploring, Courier) Combat (Pirate, Bounty Hunter, Missions (Kill), Combat Zones) Mini Games (Mining, Fuel Scooping, Interdiction)

source: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/2ocrbn/list_of_things_you_can_do_in_game_currently/

Thanks a bunch for this. Sounds amazing so I'll be picking it up tomorrow hopefully. Can it only be purchased on the website or will it be up on Steam? Not that I mind where I buy it from.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I'm really worried that the launch is going to be clusterfuck :( I'm getting Connection Errors every 5 minutes...

Me too, it was hard to stay in the game yesterday. Very concerning before launch day... but then Frontier have been amazing with patches, so I've no doubt it'll be fixed today.

Acosta

Me too, it was hard to stay in the game yesterday. Very concerning before launch day... but then Frontier have been amazing with patches, so I've no doubt it'll be fixed today.

The patch is coming now actually, crossing fingers.

I'm going to try mining. Managed to make some successful trade run and earned 50k credits to fit my ship with lasers and the toll to extract the ore.

The patch is coming now actually, crossing fingers.

I'm going to try mining. Managed to make some successful trade run and earned 50k credits to fit my ship with lasers and the toll to extract the ore.

I really need to try mining. I'm just having bad luck earning money in other ways like the Bulletin Board and such.

I have owned the game since September but really only messed around with a lot of stuff and didn't dive in. Should have dived. I'm broke and panhandling outside stations now.

Will try that. thanks for the tip guys.

I hope I don't get dropped from the server today, got dropped three times yesterday before I gave up. This server shit stuff needs to be sorted out :(

I know you need to be connected to the server for certain things but it would be handy if it drops connection that you could still just play solo. Hell if you have to authenticate with a server to log in, fair enough, but if your server goes down after ive already successfully logged in, just let me keep dicking about in space until you sort your shit out.

Serrato

I don't know If I have read this here, but it seems for me and my friends that any USB Headset cannot be used by the Voice Comms... any tips on that?

Unstable

Full patch notes

Hi everyone,

Hope you're all well today, and excited for tomorrow...

Here’s the full change log for Gamma 2.06 which is arriving today. Please let us know if you're still experiencing any problems!

- Prevent missions related softlock when entering a location
- Don't crash in certain cases on game shutdown and frameshifting
- Fix for trails crash
- Fix crash in sensor system
- Prevent crash in skybox generation
- Prevent crash if unable to process a loaded overlay
- Prevent getting stuck when alt-tabbing
- Don't crash if unable to access the mission manager
- Don't crash is user's system can't run the game - show an error instead
- Fix soft lock when entering a procedural dead system that no-one has seen before
- Fix soft lock when the Webservers system data queue is full
- Fix a seen-once crash on failing to get a Chatter table for an AI
- Fixed rare bug where game would get stuck shutting down
- Don't crash if a ship goes live without a fuel tank
- Fix silent hitman randomiser number causing crashes
- Fix jettisoning all cargo attempting to jettison mission critical cargo
- Prevent the server Choking on mission advance when something generated a negative weight
- Do not update the dynamic materials in the galaxy map every frame. Ensure at least one update, and then update again if the visualisation settings ever change
- Reduce chance of usscargodropswithwrecks from spawning outside of missions
- Fix assassin branching transitions and branch feedback
- Disable pipeline renders in screenshots for final build
- Fixed a bunch of rogue fuel scoops that shouldn't be on AI loadouts
- Fix mismatched star system meta-data
- Skip SLI/Crossfire detection if the system contains a single display adapter provided by Intel
- Added linear depth clipping to orbit lines
- Changed the "waste" category to "other" and added the new commodity "slaves" to it
- Fix for incorrect strings being used in some alternative massacre branch text templates
- Format the price of the 'repair all' button correctly

Server side change log on the way.
Hopefully that fixes the crashing/disconnecting issues. I'm guessing the promised trading fixes are all server side.
Source

Buggy Loop

I really need to try mining. I'm just having bad luck earning money in other ways like the Bulletin Board and such.

I have owned the game since September but really only messed around with a lot of stuff and didn't dive in. Should have dived. I'm broke and panhandling outside stations now.

Honestly, either trading with sidewinder until you can purchase a hauler and then money starts to get in easily when you can purchase a lakon 6, etc. For mining i would wait until they implement drones, where you'll pretty much be a mining factory. Will be more profitable than the present state.

Or, nothing to lose sidewinder strategy, go in an extraction site, kill wanted criminals (they raised the bounties on them by a lot now). On reddit there's some dangerous NPCs with 4 million credit bounties. Wont be an easy fight though.

Honestly, either trading with sidewinder until you can purchase a hauler and then money starts to get in easily when you can purchase a lakon 6, etc.

Or, nothing to lose sidewinder, go in an extraction site, kill wanted criminals (they raised the bounties on them by a lot now). On reddit there's some dangerous NPCs with 4 million credit bounties. Wont be an easy fight though.

Wow, 4 mil? Crazy. I'm a lot better at dogfighting when I'm using the DK2, that's for sure, maybe I'll hook that up to gain some credits. Right now I am using my HDTV and just exploring and doing missions. I think trading until I can buy a good ship is probably my plan of action.

Need to find a trade route that I can just do some back and forth's for a while. I enjoy the missions too. I think I just need to devote more time, the only commodity that I can't seem to locate =P

EDIT: Holy shit, can't believe it's 'official' tomorrow! WOOHOO

Buggy Loop

Wow, 4 mil? Crazy. I'm a lot better at dogfighting when I'm using the DK2, that's for sure, maybe I'll hook that up to gain some credits. Right now I am using my HDTV and just exploring and doing missions. I think trading until I can buy a good ship is probably my plan of action.

Need to find a trade route that I can just do some back and forth's for a while. I enjoy the missions too. I think I just need to devote more time, the only commodity that I can't seem to locate =P

EDIT: Holy shit, can't believe it's 'official' tomorrow! WOOHOO

Sorry, i confused stories with the 4 mil thing.

http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDanger...ook_me_one_week_and_bounty_hunting_for_me_to/

I think it was a player.

Top Bottom