• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: NX Not Using x86 Architecture - Won't Blow Away Current Gen Consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nintendo I felt slacked in SDK after GC by not documenting shaders or researching them like other big companies do. I will extend it out further in a way more gamers can relate. Look at what amd and nvidia do with their hardware for gaming be it streaming with games or gameworks with the amd equivalent. Nintendo should be looking to embedded their essence along with more technology in to games so it's automatic or very easy to alter a company own desires in to a game. Same for tool nuance I think PS4 has some of the best optimization tools and the nuance I feel isn't there on one end same for a bro whose less anal me giving me info. DX as a platform api gives so much and combined with it allows in creation for making a game good UI or engine design like netcode it's obvious that vulkan/opengl consortium is still playing catchup but is actually getting there, say its 80-90 based on benchmarks and at time superior when done right. I want nintendo do to the work others do and just bite the bullet and get a team to really figrure out things. They did it on N64 and Cube, someone already mentioned the problems with n64.

MuchoMalo I don't see exotic in their in desires. What I do see is taking something from amd and doing what Sony just pulled. The problem is sony takes time to ensure any changes in hardware are reflected well enough in how you harness, its alot better than say PS2 or PS3 were in these regards. Nintendo is lacking, which is lot better than anything they did on Wii or WiiU. Worse like last time they might not ask for the power they could.

I don't use time any more for ports in terms of ease. I look at what they do in terms of performance vs what is there on other platforms or how they improve in time we can really see where it is. Yet from looking around, short of seeing EA, ubisoft and few other heavy hitters show up it speaks volumes. The beauty is nintendo is clearly delaying to get shit in order. I can tolerate that really I can considering what we ended up this gen.

People peg Wii wrong. They only altered GC architecture to be able to handle the controller and did another soup up to make it more like the original foundation. They never bothered, WiiU is infinitely worse they tried and didn't care to realize it was that weak.

If I'm understanding you correctly, it seems like this time around Nintendo is actually taking the effort to improve how they create SDK tools and support over that of the Wii U, but it still has a very long way to go to catch up to how Sony does it.

Which is a good sign, as it seems they are beginning to take communication with third parties seriously, even if they have a lot of work to still do. Their actual attitude and focus in this area can tell us a great deal about what the NX will be like, moreso than Nintendo's official statements so far or these absurd rumors like that one from Digitimes.

It's very nice to get info from this perspective about how Nintendo works with their partners, it's always quite interesting. Thanks again for sharing!

MuchoMalo

Banned

XboneS doesn't count as a new win, most likely. One of the wins is using an ARM CPU, so unless either that actually changed since 2014 or Scorpio is using an ARM CPU, we still have an unknown contract.

By the way, I want to point out that Emily never specifically said that NX is using an Nvidia chip, but rather that "future Nintendo hardware" will.

Schnozberry

XboneS doesn't count as a new win, most likely. One of the wins is using an ARM CPU, so unless either that actually changed since 2014 or Scorpio is using an ARM CPU, we still have an unknown contract.

By the way, I want to point out that Emily never specifically said that NX is using an Nvidia chip, but rather that "future Nintendo hardware" will.

The XB1S seems to have different chips than the original, with newer features and slighly upgraded hardware. AMD would definitely count this as a design win.

Schnozberry

Then what happened to the ARM win?

If the APU is just a die shrink, I don't think it would count.

It's definitely a gray area. If the die shrink allowed for higher clocks then that might explain the performance increase. The support for HDR seems to indicate updated features though.

The ARM win was announced as being outside the gaming industry, so I don't think that's Nintendo, but at the same time we don't really know for certain. I don't have any reason to assume AMD would outright lie to their investors, so I'll take their word.

The fact that both the PS4 and Xbox are getting follow-up consoles/mid-generation updates in 2017 is putting Nintendo in an even more difficult position. Even if the NX would kinda be on-par with the current systems (and looking at this thread and Nintendo's history this seems doubtful) it seems like NX is gonna start its life cycle again by lagging behind in terms of technology.
I can only hope Nintendo had anticipated the mid-generation refresh by their competitors. Maybe that's another reason for the rumored delay from 2016 to March 2017'?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It's interesting that AMD considers XboneS and Scorpio as two new wins. This pretty much confirms that there is a slight increase in power of One S over One, which maybe leaves NX a bit behind both XboneS and PS4?

Also in my opinion this strengthens the theory that NX is powered by Nvidia.

FyreWulff

The fact that both the PS4 and Xbox are getting follow-up consoles/mid-generation updates in 2017 is putting Nintendo in an even more difficult position. Even if the NX would kinda be on-par with the current systems (and looking at this thread and Nintendo's history this seems doubtful) it seems like NX is gonna start its life cycle again by lagging behind in terms of technology.
I can only hope Nintendo had anticipated the mid-generation refresh by their competitors. Maybe that's another reason for the rumored delay from 2016 to March 2017'?

likely. Wait for the other two to pull their triggers and see where you sit.

Microsoft has now publically said they're aiming for 6TFlops.. so Nintendo will likely try to see how close they can get to that while still accomodating their low-profile designs, if they're interested in playing that game. Technically they just need to land somewhere between the One/PS4 and Scorpio/Neo and they benefit from everyone still targetting One/PS4.

Rajack

Keep in mind that Emily has a very long history of lying and deception. She has rarely, if ever been right and some one with a legitimate source would not be shouting to the world the information and details that she is. It tends to have a pretty bad effect on reputation and trust. However fabricating things like she does is even worse.

Oddish1

The NX could also be an iterative console and I think most developers are going to be aiming for the base Xbone and PS4 anyway, so I don't think hardware power will be all that big a deal.

Thraktor

That could be true for the core CPU/GPU elements, but they would have had to modify the UVD on the chip to support 4K Blu-Ray and HDMI 2.0. I'm really not sure if that counts as a design win or not.

I believe consoles usually use an off-chip HDMI controller (precisely to make these kinds of revisions easier). They could also in theory add an off-chip h.265 decoder, which would probably be cheaper than redesigning the SoC itself.

Even aside from anything else, I don't see MS using a new SoC in the XBOS because it doesn't line up with what AMD had previously said of their three design wins. Out of Scorpio, Neo and XBOS none of them use ARM and none of them could be described as "beyond gaming".

NateDrake

I'm curious as to why people still cling to AMD. What hints or rumors are making you believe AMD? Is it Trev? Or just because AMD has been a partner of Nintendo for yrs now?

Neoxon

I'm curious as to why people still cling to AMD. What hints or rumors are making you believe AMD? Is it Trev? Or just because AMD has been a partner of Nintendo for yrs now?
Probably the latter if I had to guess. Trev is just speculating now. If he had a source for his AND/Polaris claims, he would say so.

Thraktor

I think most people would agree that Nvidia is the much more likely suspect at this stage. To be honest, though, we're working on only the vaguest of evidence at the moment, and a month ago most of us would have bet good money on it being AMD, so I'm hesitant to make any definitive judgement one way or the other.

Zubz

Banned
She's hit on the obvious things, but everything else that she's "predicted" have failed to materialize

Can you give any examples? I can't think of a single example of her being wrong. Every one of her predictions has either been confirmed, or is TBD like the NX leaks, or NoA having a Mother 3 translation saved for a rainy day (Which other legitimate sources have corroborated).

I have no doubt Rogers is on the money here with the NX's power. It sucks, but there's no reason to doubt her.

a916

AAA Zelda and Mario on PS5/Xb2/Steam won't exist even if Nintendo drops out of hardware. The cost of games like that is subsidized by pushing hardware, without a system to justify the investment Nintendo won't bother and will instead focus on lower investment / higher return mobile development. Just like the rest of Japan.

The day Nintendo leaves hardware is also going to be the day you lose high production 3D Mario and Zelda games. Be careful what you wish for.

Pretty sure the idea of releasing Mario on a platform that has maybe roughly 15M vs platforms that have over 60-70M consoles would offset that real quick.

GRW810

Well Emily Rogers just took a credibility hit over the female Link thing.
Can we finally just declare she is not reliable and stop discussing everything she arrogantly and vaguely mutters about?

Although I'd love to know how she's defending her increasing profile of misses right now.

Zubz

Banned
Well Emily Rogers just took a credibility hit over the female Link thing.

Even if there isn't a female Link, it was strongly considered. Everyone swore by the Gematsu leak from Smash because it was later confirmed that Chrom was considered, but didn't make it too far past the planning stage. We don't know how far Female Link got, but we know it went somewhere. Plus, we do have voice acting, at least in this trailer. I don't really see this as a mark against her.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Even if there isn't a female Link, it was strongly considered. Everyone swore by the Gematsu leak from Smash because it was later confirmed that Chrom was considered, but didn't make it too far past the planning stage. We don't know how far Female Link got, but we know it went somewhere. Plus, we do have voice acting, at least in this trailer. I don't really see this as a mark against her.

This is also a fair point.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Can we finally just declare she is not reliable and stop discussing everything she arrogantly and vaguely mutters about?

Although I'd love to know how she's defending her increasing profile of misses right now.

I'm more of the notion that GAF in general should go back to not discussing rumors.

It's not just the Emily thing.

It's everything around the games industry right now.

I get people like to spectulate. Hell I do too.

We probably should all just wait till info actually drops vs having threads like this though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom