• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: NX Not Using x86 Architecture - Won't Blow Away Current Gen Consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eolz

So the SDK is shit. Fun times ahead, everybody!

PS> Some people have said it's easy to port XB1/PS4 games over. Is that still possible even if the APIs/SDK is bad?

You're asking the question the wrong way.
Is the sdk bad if it's easy to port games?

Proelite

I am having trouble understanding LCGeek most of the time.

To me, he/she is saying that the

1. Specs are good, but Nintendo faithful won't mind bad specs, and casuals are going to prefer a cheaper system.
2. SDK is "currently" bad.
3. No one cares about good specs if your sdk is bad.

Neoxon

1. Specs are good, but Nintendo faithful won't mind bad specs, and casuals are going to prefer a cheaper system.
Perhaps it doesn't have a lot of tools right now.

LCGeek

formerly sane

Basically yeah.

1. I don't think casual on other platforms short of a miracle in software will switch.
2. Always is, I want better considering various tools out there.
3. Devs don't exploit your system or get much time to, so do their job for them.

Perhaps it doesn't have a lot of tools right now.

Until some of their more asset and effect publishers/devs are satisfied they shouldn't be complacent period.

MuchoMalo

Banned
The dev tool rumors are officially all over the fucking place, lol.

Just stop.

I'll be honest, that one was for the reactions.

Basically yeah.

1. I don't think casual on other platforms short of a miracle in software will switch.
3. Devs don't exploit your system or get much time to, so do their job for them.

So, it's hard to develop for due to a terrible SDK, that's driving third-party support away, and you're concerned that the specs are actually higher than they should be, as you feel that it should be super cheap since there's no way for it to attract the core gaming audience. I think I get it?

Vena

Honestly your two posts on this page read like completely different things haha. Sounds like SDK has work to be done on it still but initially I read the first post as if the SDK were literally on fire haha.

LCGeek

formerly sane
So, it's hard to develop for due to a terrible SDK, that's driving third-party support away, and you're concerned that the specs are actually higher than they should be, as you feel that it should be super cheap since there's no way for it to attract the core gaming audience. I think I get it?

Not terrible just needs to catchup. It's not driving anyone away, view that situation from another perspective is it seducing or inspiring?

Specs are not high to me. I don't bitch about console specs after a certain point we aren't getting shit it just not going to be earning any awards. Doesn't need to be super cheap 250 or 300 is fair.

Proelite

Basically yeah.

Until some of their more asset and effect publishers/devs are satisfied they shouldn't be complacent period.

Thanks for clarifying

Can you tell us anything about the specs? Anything that can land us in a ballpark in comparison to other systems.

Pokemaniac

Not terrible just needs to catchup. It's not driving anyone away, view that situation from another perspective is it seducing or inspiring?

Specs are not high to me. I don't bitch about console specs after a certain point we aren't getting shit it just not going to be earning any awards. Doesn't need to be super cheap 250 or 300 is fair.

Catch up compared to what, exactly? I just want to get an idea of what your scale is, because that detail was rather informative with your CPU comments.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Thanks for clarifying

Can you tell us anything about the specs? Anything that can land us in a ballpark in comparison to other systems.

Nope cause it's not real nintendo outside of that vague area we are landing on. I won't take any red steel bait till the system is about to launch. I can't nail down api or certain feature details I like specs are even less certain.

Considering what AMD/Nvidia are both doing I hope nintendo is getting a good deal on something cut down they would be stupid not too.

Delio

You wouldnt happen to have Handheld info would you? Or i guess i should ask this in the other thread.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Again, this goes along with the rumor last year that Nintendo was returning to a cheap secondary console.

Give me PS4 level graphics at $249 and I'm on board.

Not surprised at all that Nintendo has no clue what they're doing here. I loved Iwata, but I think he was really out of touch with what the market wanted over his last few years.

Nope cause it's not real nintendo outside of that vague area we are landing on. I won't take any red steel bait till the system is about to launch. I can't nail down api or certain feature details I like specs are even less certain.

Considering what AMD/Nvidia are both doing I hope nintendo is getting a good deal on something cut down they would be stupid not too.
Okay. Nintendo haven't locked anything down yet.

Is all of this weighted in your mind against Nintendo's competition (PS4, XB1) or against your own expectations and desires? Do Sony and MS typically put out much better SDKs in your mind?

Maybe that could help us understand if Nintendo is getting at all serious about third party support, if they are doing things similarly to their competitors.

Vena

Is all of this weighted in your mind against Nintendo's competition (PS4, XB1) or against your own expectations and desires? Do Sony and MS typically put out much better SDKs in your mind?

Maybe that could help us understand if Nintendo is getting at all serious about third party support, if they are doing things similarly to their competitors.

Well, if its like the CPU metric that Geek used, then its mid to high-end PCs and top-end engines/support.

MuchoMalo

Banned

Let me rephrase on the specs part. What I mean is, do you feel that the specs might result in the price being too high (after accounting for the fact that Nintendo wants the hardware to be profitable) for the potential audience, while it otherwise isn't appealing enough to mainstream gamers?

LCGeek

formerly sane
You wouldnt happen to have Handheld info would you? Or i guess i should ask this in the other thread.

Nope I'm not that informed. I like where things are going from what I can see.

I've wanted unity and good quick software focus for years. Pulling that off is the hard part.

Let me rephrase on the specs part. What I mean is, do you feel that the specs might result in the price being too high (after accounting for the fact that Nintendo wants the hardware to be profitable) for the potential audience, while it otherwise isn't appealing enough to mainstream gamers?

Considering the price war amd/nivida just started in the race for VR I don't think it's unreasonable for nintendo want certain things in their range. My original worry can go to the backside unless nintendo still wants a 350$ plus price tag. They may not need it considering some of the parts they want are going to be somewhat cheaper that speculation had pegged parts for even up to a few weeks ago. A month or two ago most people would've been called full of shit but considering what the 480 is alone the markets are going to heat up and the console companies will reap big rewards if they want.

Vena

I've wanted unity and good quick software focus for years. Pulling that off is the hard part.

To be fair, initially it sounded the exact opposite. :p

AmyS

I still think NX is template & architecture (OS also) for all future Nintendo home consoles and handhelds / portables going forward.
The SCD would also be under the NX umbrella, if the patent is implemented.

Neo is just a modestly upgraded PS4.

Scorpio sounds like pretty much the next generation Xbox (especially if it has a new CPU like Zen) not a modestly upgraded Xbox One, but would still have compatibility with Xbox One games.
It's meant to be technically capable of driving Oculus Rift.

Xbox One / Durango ~1.3 Tflops.
Xbox Scorpio ~6 Tflops.

Well, if its like the CPU metric that Geek used, then its mid to high-end PCs and top-end engines/support.

I'm more wondering about the quality of the SDK tools compared to those of Sony and MS. That's a much better indicator of whether or not they're serious about improving relations with third parties than the exact specs are.

Delio

Well thanks. Yeah long as it has support from Unity and other engines and they can push software out fast im pretty down with whatever the handheld is.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Well thanks. Yeah long as it has support from Unity and other engines and they can push software out fast im pretty down with whatever the handheld is.

My bad.....

I meant unity in the platforms. I've felt for years nintendo lost it's magic splitting teams in to mobile or console when teams should be made based on the products/consumers they serve.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Considering the price war amd/nivida just started in the race for VR I don't think it's unreasonable for nintendo want certain things in their range. My original worry can go to the backside unless nintendo still wants a 350$ plus price tag. They may not need it considering some of the parts they want are going to be somewhat cheaper that speculation had pegged parts for even up to a few weeks ago. A month or two ago most people would've been called full of shit but considering what the 480 is alone the markets are going to heat up and the console companies will reap big rewards if they want.

Okay. I'm sorry for grilling you so much. I doubt that Nintendo was ever aiming for $350 after Wii U, unless your concern is that the controller will drive the price through the roof again.

Ignore Nintendo PR and just listen to 3rd party devs to answer that question.

So, nothing has changed at all, and in fact it might be worse.

I'm more wondering about the quality of the SDK tools compared to those of Sony and MS. That's a much better indicator of whether or not they're serious about improving relations with third parties than the exact specs are.
I think the issue with the NX is that whatever info devs have is not close to a complete picture. There are big holes in the documentation, so it makes sense for LCGeek to say that the tools are "bad." Maybe the quality of the available tools are good and "easy to develop for," but LCGeek's inability to figure out what is clearly going on implies that important information is still in flux or simply not giving by Nintendo.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Okay. I'm sorry for grilling you so much. I doubt that Nintendo was ever aiming for $350 after Wii U, unless your concern is that the controller will drive the price through the roof again.

or other unknown tech we do not know about. MS got themselves in to this mess aiming for useless features in X1. I like my gimmicks, just not when they tack on another 75-90$ for things that won't be exploited all that much by most devs.

udivision

So, nothing has changed at all, and in fact it might be worse.
That's what I think. We don't have reason to believe anything had improved other than Nintendo's ability to support their own platforms thanks to better architecture... Whatever that will actually mean.

Other crap and my own thoughts.

I don't think nintendo should hype a product up if its not due out till say 2017 September and beyond. If it's going for next year spring early summer that's something else. I'm only letting out my own thoughts E3, mainly so people won't see I'm backtracking. Gotta have some hope, oh yeah Mr.Finch I still got some.

SDK still sucks...... that you can bank me on. If nintendo or others out there have a problem. I dare some of you to show platform as is to enthusiast corners of the net they will laugh at this device if it's expensively priced. Which begs the question who the hell is this device for besides the faithful? The faithful exited the power debate years ago and sdk isn't just about specs it's about wielding what's inside as well which I don't hear anyone saying nintendo has really caught up or is doing a bangup job. Impress me I might shutup but my whambulance is going to come out during the summer when it's clear as day to rest of those out there paying attention. They have vagueries and I have legit questions. All these rumors claim xyz about abilities but can't even nail down certain aspects of the APIs that you should know if you had access. Even worse unlike Wii which I felt was more open nintendo regressed to n64 ninja level of sharing info between all parties. There's a reason sony and ms dominate this company. Not only is this strategy to me pathetic and built on nasty history of not learning from your mistakes but it pits devs against each other instead of unifying them. I'm asking to be crucified, yet I dare put up this flare now and well before most have any balls to themselves. They (gaming media and rumor sites) spent all their time the last two gens whining about specs instead of how software is built or the features that bring consumers together. Yet here we are another generation with nintendo, devs/publishers, and the gaming media are going to make another mega hype cycle that will fizzle out before it should.

Fine I'm harsh, but I don't lead others off a cliff I'd rather nintendo thrive than do whatever this platform is doing which at this point is meandering and timid.

Chew on that and I'm doing this cause certain know nothing haters have no real tech standards.

So, to make clear, you have access, or at least know about the to the SDK, correct?

Don't need to go into specifics. Rumors pointed to the tools being friendly and easy. Hard to tell when the system doesn't even have a name. I never tinkered with Xbox/PlayStation, but the Wii tools were well, basic.

MuchoMalo

Banned
or other unknown tech we do not know about. MS got themselves in to this mess aiming for useless features in X1. I like my gimmicks, just not when they tack on another 75-90$ for things that won't be exploited all that much by most devs.

Perhaps. That eSRAM definitely screwed MS for one. Hell, eDRAM screwed Wii U from a price/performance standpoint. I think Nintendo might be aiming to build one chip for both the console and handheld though, so they might be more inclined to keep memory off the die this time to keep it small. I'm not sure if that's actually possible though without compromising the console's power. I think that it should be though.

I presume you are unable to disclose who is supplying the CPU/GPU in the current SDK, LCGeek?

It sounds more like she isn't even certain. Edit: Or not

LCGeek

formerly sane
I presume you are unable to disclose who is supplying the CPU/GPU in the current SDK, LCGeek?

Other more prominent details are not wise been warned as much on various levels. Most people have a direct clue already though, good luck narrowing down the rest. Until launch my details are pretty much sealed, which is where some of my ire is coming from I want to talk another few months just ain't my cup of tea.

So, to make clear, you have access, or at least know about the to the SDK, correct?

Stated it multiple times yes and it's old at this point which can skew my perspective. Not only that not all SDKs are equal.

Easy and friendly are one thing nuance and depth is another. Nintendo has something which is a lot better than almost 2 generations of nothing.

It sounds more like she isn't even certain. Edit: Or not

I'm not I would need something the dream team has or more complete. Not only that I don't trust specs with more than 6 plus months before launch considering what nintendo pulled on the Wii. When I get my own units to view retail or dev I will talk same for any promotionals.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

I've wanted unity and good quick software focus for years
. Pulling that off is the hard part.

This sounds a lot like a shared library between console and handheld.

Other more prominent details are not wise been warned as much on various levels. Most people have a direct clue already though, good luck narrowing down the rest. Until launch my details are pretty much sealed, which is where some of my ire is coming from I want to talk another few months just ain't my cup of tea.

Stated it multiple times yes and it's old at this point which can skew my perspective. Not only that not all SDKs are equal.

Easy and friendly are one thing nuance and depth is another. Nintendo has something which is a lot better than almost 2 generations of nothing.

Got it, hard to follow with all the noise in the thread. You're right. Even the Wii SDK saw some improvements during its lifetime.

As long as it's not as barebones as then.

I think the issue with the NX is that whatever info devs have is not close to a complete picture. There are big holes in the documentation, so it makes sense for LCGeek to say that the tools are "bad." Maybe the quality of the available tools are good and "easy to develop for," but LCGeek's inability to figure out what is clearly going on implies that important information is still in flux or simply not giving by Nintendo.

I think the silence in general is a big issue for everyone, not just developers. As for specific problems with the SDK, I think I've come up with a good illustrative example of what LCGeek means when she says the SDK tools are lacking:

Think about Mario Kart 8. That game was hailed for its spectacular lighting work, and having a game like that running on the Wii U shows that it's quite possible to get very good visuals if you know your way around the hardware. Imagine now that you are a third party developer, and you received a SDK from Nintendo with barely any content examples or adequate tools for developing said lighting, and then you see MK8 release, and know that it was done internally by Nintendo.

When you see that, it must feel like a sucker punch to the gut. Nintendo knows how to program these visuals on a Wii U, yet they don't give you any input on how it's done. It honestly feels like Nintendo is purposefully holding back what you can do with the console so that their content, alone, feels like the superior, best showcase on the console.

This seems to be how they treat third party developers, and after many years of this it's gotta be very hard to have interest in developing for Nintendo hardware, when they consistently fail to deliver on tools for you to make your games. Nintendo should have invested time into making incredible tools, engines, tech demos, and examples for the SDKs to minimize the time, effort and money needed by third parties to create games for their console. The fact that they seemingly still haven't done that is pretty worrying for me, much more worrying than any discussion about specs is.

I'm guessing the NX SDK given to 3rd parties at the moment is easy to use for high-level programming, but you currently can't get into the low-level guts of the hardware because it's incomplete. And Nintendo are keeping the newer SDKs for themselves.

thefro

I think the silence in general is a big issue for everyone, not just developers. As for specific problems with the SDK, I think I've come up with a good illustrative example of what LCGeek means when she says the SDK tools are lacking:

Think about Mario Kart 8. That game was hailed for its spectacular lighting work, and having a game like that running on the Wii U shows that it's quite possible to get very good visuals if you know your way around the hardware. Imagine now that you are a third party developer, and you received a SDK from Nintendo with barely any content examples or adequate tools for developing said lighting, and then you see MK8 release, and know that it was done internally by Nintendo.

When you see that, it must feel like a sucker punch to the gut. Nintendo knows how to program these visuals on a Wii U, yet they don't give you any input on how it's done. It honestly feels like Nintendo is purposefully holding back what you can do with the console so that their content, alone, feels like the superior, best showcase on the console.

This seems to be how they treat third party developers, and after many years of this it's gotta be very hard to have interest in developing for Nintendo hardware, when they consistently fail to deliver on tools for you to make your games. Nintendo should have invested time into making incredible tools, engines, tech demos, and examples for the SDKs to minimize the time, effort and money needed by third parties to create games for their console. The fact that they seemingly still haven't done that is pretty worrying for me, much more worrying than any discussion about specs is.

That's a pretty easy hypothesis to bust though...

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/151029qa/02.html

Nintendo Corporate Policy Briefing Q&A said:
Takahashi:

For more than 10 years after joining Nintendo I was engaged in software development under Mr. Miyamoto. And under late Mr. Iwata’s directions, I was making development environments at a department called the Software Development & Design Department. As a result, I always think in terms of what would be the most appropriate development environment not only for Nintendo’s own software but also for third-party developers. As our former president told you before, Nintendo has been internally pushing forward with the project to integrate the development environments in recent years so that it can cater to the needs of the new age. It is by no means an easy task, but I believe that we are now working in the direction of easier software development by means of this integration.

Pretty doubtful that the SDK is a bust as it's going to be the same thing Nintendo uses internally for their integrated dev environments.

That's a pretty easy hypothesis to bust though...

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/151029qa/02.html

Pretty doubtful that the SDK is a bust as it's going to be the same thing Nintendo uses internally for their integrated dev environments.

That honestly doesn't seem to be the case with the Wii U at least. This quote is from 2016 which makes me think it's likely something they're currently working on, which I agree would be a good sign. LCGeek mentioned that their SDK knowledge is rather old (months old? maybe from last year?) but hopefully the SDK tools improve like Takahashi is saying as NX gets closer to launch.

Also as NateDrake said all of the tools in the world wouldn't matter if there is terrible documentation to back it up. Especially if what we've heard about how hard it is to contact Nintendo with SDK questions is true. Again, hopefully this is something they've fixed, but it seems at least with the SDK iteration LCGeek is familiar with, that this is still a problem.

Delio

My bad.....

I meant unity in the platforms. I've felt for years nintendo lost it's magic splitting teams in to mobile or console when teams should be made based on the products/consumers they serve.

Ah I read that wrong. Yeah im glad they are pulling teams together if it means the game will work on both systems.

MuchoMalo

Banned

The only way for this to be the case is if Nintendo is using a highly customized GPU again though, and if that's the case the SDK is the least of their issues. It would be suicide to not use an "off-the-shelf" GPU architecture. If they've added in a bunch of fixed-function shit again for no reason, they've officially lost their minds. No wonder third-parties don't want to work with them.

That honestly doesn't seem to be the case with the Wii U at least. This quote is from 2016 which makes me think it's likely something they're currently working on, which I agree would be a good sign. LCGeek mentioned that their SDK knowledge is rather old (months old? maybe from last year?) but hopefully the SDK tools improve like Takahashi is saying as NX gets closer to launch.

Also as NateDrake said all of the tools in the world wouldn't matter if there is terrible documentation to back it up. Especially if what we've heard about how hard it is to contact Nintendo with SDK questions is true. Again, hopefully this is something they've fixed, but it seems at least with the SDK iteration LCGeek is familiar with, that this is still a problem.

Would this documentation issue only be in the west? I would think it's easier for Japanese devs to work closely with Nintendo since the source of HW development would be in Japan, correct?

I'm not I would need something the dream team has or more complete. Not only that I don't trust specs with more than 6 plus months before launch considering what nintendo pulled on the Wii. When I get my own units to view retail or dev I will talk same for any promotionals.

Thank you for clarifying some of your points. If I recall correctly, even the Wii U's SKU showed a significant boost in actual performance over time. The documentation was a bit screwed up, though. The first SKU was overheating so the GPU had to be downclocked, and the CPU was nothing like Nintendo said it would be in the original documents. Going by your info, it looks like the problems are not nearly as bad as that.

Would this documentation issue only be in the west? I would think it's easier for Japanese devs to work closely with Nintendo since the source of HW development would be in Japan, correct?

I think it would be a problem for everyone, but definitely much moreso for western devs, and you can sorta see that based on western vs japanese output on Nintendo's systems, both in quality and quantity.

But in general if the documentation is so poor that you need to contact the company constantly to get answers, that's a huge problem regardless of how easy it is to contact them.

Edit:

The only way for this to be the case is if Nintendo is using a highly customized GPU again though, and if that's the case the SDK is the least of their issues. It would be suicide to not use an "off-the-shelf" GPU architecture. If they've added in a bunch of fixed-function shit again for no reason, they've officially lost their minds. No wonder third-parties don't want to work with them.

Well I'm really mainly referring to what they have done in the past to illustrate what I believe LCGeek means by poor SDK tools. We can't know for sure if something like that will happen on the NX, but it sure seems like their treatment of third parties when it comes to development tools or documentation could use plenty of improvement.

KingBroly

Banned
I'm guessing the NX SDK given to 3rd parties at the moment is easy to use for high-level programming, but you currently can't get into the low-level guts of the hardware because it's incomplete. And Nintendo are keeping the newer SDKs for themselves.

Isn't that usually how it is because the platform holder themselves has to bug test it/break it in so to speak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom