• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Engadget: Braid creator Jonathan Blow sacrifices his fortune to build The Witness

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Seems like he should also pay someone to port Braid to PS4 and Xbox One.

If revenue is still good on platforms that are viable, seems there would be enough money there to justify the port.

Since this is about development and not distribution, I'm curious what the material expenses he's dealing with are. I mean, I'm impressed whenever a great mind can and does back their own work, but if it's basically his living expenses that they're alluding to, the money isn't the sacrifice they should be focusing on.

He has a team of artists and other developers working on it with him.

OnPoint

It's not that "out there" a claim. Obviously it wasn't the first indie game ever, but it was one of the first to usher in this new age of indie gaming, where production values are much higher than they had been.

There's better ways to say that. This is, even if it's obviously not exactly what was meant to be said, poorly worded, and an editor should have caught that.

The Witness is in fact, a bit of a risky proposition.

Adventure games have seen a comeback in recent years, but very few of them have been huge sellers. Even the recently released (and friggin amazing) The Talos Principle, which had pretty much everything going for it, hasn't seemingly lit the world on fire. If The Witness is indeed an artier take on Myst, well then, even Myst itself wasn't making great bank for its makers, not since the 90's.

I'll put money down for it, but its in no means a guaranteed hit.

Alec

If revenue is still good on platforms that are viable, seems there would be enough money there to justify the port.

I was actually just thinking about this. I would definitely buy it again.

Maybe with a developer commentary feature?

entremet

Should'n't be too much work since there already exist a x86 version via PCs.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
If you can't appreciate the influence that Braid had on the indie scene which followed, then you're probably an idiot.

The writer of this article in no way meant "original indie game" as a literal, factual statement, and anyone interpreting it as such is surely doing so intentionally to further some peculiar agenda of their own. Let's just move past it.

I think the definition of indie is what's at question here - agreed that it's not worth going over. Braid's release is notable, one way or another.

Seanspeed

Banned
That's an awful way to reference people who use kickstarter. Not everyone is in a position to fund their projects, and Kickstarter is/was a brilliant way to fund projects that otherwise would never have seen fruition.
It's much better if people go into debt from borrowing and then stake their entire well being on the success of a single product. That's the American way.

Well I'll definitely be buying The Witness when it releases... whenever that is...

Bought Braid day one, will buy this day one.

What influence do you feel he had on the indie scene? Made it more mainstream?

I mean, I can agree with that to a degree, but that's pretty dismissive of the many indie games that came out before and just after that also had a pretty big impact on the indie scene.

Set aside the concept of the 'indie scene'--Braid made indies on consoles a big deal. That's not, like, an opinion. It's what happened. After Braid, independent games blew up. They were talked about, they were anticipated, they started getting reviewed alongside (and better than, in some cases) your average AAA titles, and the console companies started taking them very seriously, which continues to this day. Braid wasn't the first, but it was definitely the turning point.

The witness will make a lot of, if not all of, the money back. Definitely buying it.

I'm surprised you think that. Braid had a range of appeal, platforming, puzzles, a rewind mechanic which hadn't yet been utterly done to death. And it launched at the right time.

The Witness has a LOT of puzzles with lines and grids. Basically it's a really pretty game full of Sudoku. I wouldn't have thought it'd have nearly the same size of audience that Braid had. The Witness will sell, but I don't know if it'll make back what he spent on it. I just hope it does.

DavidDesu

I will very happily buy a PS4 version of Braid aid as well as the Xbox 360 and Mac versions I bought. A stunning game. Want it again (360 power cord is broke and playing on my mac is rubbish :p).

Hope they make this happen, surely a pretty easy port with minimal investment required..?

Calling it the original indie game is like when people say pong was the first video game, or wolf3d was the first fps. Not first in the timeline sense, but first in the making it a thing that mainstream people paid attention to sense

Gestault

You can engage me as to why or just drive-by. I wonder which shows better.

No, they were right, it's a weak comparison. Not all games in a genre are interchangeable in terms of quality and reception, and the circumstances (and financial goals) here are different from a more traditional studio. For the scale of production, a recent release like Talos Principle already demonstrates the market interest.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I'm surprised you think that. Braid had a range of appeal, platforming, puzzles, a rewind mechanic which hadn't yet been utterly done to death. And it launched at the right time.

The Witness has a LOT of puzzles with lines and grids. Basically it's a really pretty game full of Sudoku. I wouldn't have thought it'd have nearly the same size of audience that Braid had. The Witness will sell, but I don't know if it'll make back what he spent on it. I just hope it does.
My understanding is that the line/grid puzzles aren't the meat of the game; just little introductory things to teach you principles that then have to be applied to "real" puzzles in the environment.

I might be wrong, but I believe it held the record for best selling game on Live Arcade until State of Decay...

On topic, much respect for Blow for doing this and I hope it all goes well. I didn't much care for Braid and I can't say I like how Blow acted after Braid came out, but I'll be sure to support Witness as it looks exactly like a game I just know I'll love.

The fact that I share a cold blooded animal's sentiments exactly is very,very frightening.

Marcel

No, they were right, it's a weak comparison. Not all games in a genre are interchangeable in terms of quality and reception, and the circumstances (and financial goals) here are different from a more traditional studio. For the scale of production, a recent release like Talos Principle already demonstrates the market interest.

And I would say that the Talos Principle has at least eaten part of The Witness' lunch.

Qassim

Braid was influential in a new era of a certain kind of independently developed games, primarily on consoles, but I can't find an angle where calling it the "original indie game" is anything but odd.

Unless, that is, you ignore the three decades prior to Braid's release.

And I would say that the Talos Principle has at least eaten part of The Witness' lunch.

Doubt it. We still have no clue when The Witness is coming, and when it does it will sell a ton off of the hype Blow has because of Braid. I can't imagine that anyone who has been looking forward to TW is suddenly not because of TP.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Braid was influential in a new era of a certain kind of independently developed games, primarily on consoles, but I can't find an angle where calling it the "original indie game" is anything but odd.

Unless that is you ignore the three decades prior to Braid's release.

I assume they mean indie in a contemporary sense.

Braid was good. I'm planning on getting The Witness because of that.

You can engage me as to why or just drive-by. I wonder which shows better.

Like you just did, you mean?

The context behind Uru and The Witness is completely different. Uru was very experimental from the outset: in some areas it was nearly an opposite game to their previous work.

Myst and Riven were solitary single-player games. Uru was originally meant to be a multiplayer puzzle game, which is a wonky idea by itself.

Riven, like Myst, had pre-rendered 2D vistas with hotspot movement with 1st person view. Uru was fully 3D with 3rd person view.

The downsides of 3D 3rd person for puzzle-solving, the obvious lack of content that was scrapped when the multiplayer went to shit, and the shoddy puzzle design occasionally found all give away a big part of why Uru failed. But then you remember that the market for puzzle games had been declining very rapidly around its 2003 release, and then it becomes almost painfully obvious.

The Witness, on the other hand, is built on top of a proven formula and is going to be released in a better market situation ("From the creator of Braid" also helps). The extra time and resources poured into it are but a layer of polish, unlike with Uru.

Gestault

Earlier you used the point that an audience didn't react to the Uru release, which was a sign that this wouldn't be worth it. Now you're saying that an audience reacting to Talos Principle is a sign this wouldn't be worth it.

Funneling so much money into another game seems sorta reckless, to be honest. But if he believes in it that much, I can't say he's wrong for doing it.

From everything I've heard about The Witness (assuming I'm not thinking of some other crazy puzzle/adventure/experience game) makes it sound interesting, at the very least. Coming from "The Creator of Braid" should give it enough visibility to sell well... but I don't know if it'll recoup such immense costs.
PC players got Cave Story before Braid was even announced. Does it count?

PC stuff never counts, my dear.

I was going to suggest the same thing. He's probably busy with the Witness right now, but Braid: Definitive Edition would no doubt sell quite well, if only from its previous prestige.

ArjanN

I don't mean to push this farther than i ought to, because Blow deserves the spotlight, but i almost feel like he's agree with me on this. Braid may have been a very visible and successful indie game that was released during the early years of indie gaming revitalization, but it is hardly representative of it. At that point in time, Derek Yu had released Aquaria a year earlier, and would release Spelunky a year after. Jason Rohrer was getting more and more recognition, especially with Passage. Tales of Tales was also making the rounds. It was also when the "art game" nomenclature gained wide recognition, something fueled as well by independent games. And as others have noted Cave Story had been translated and published worldwide some years earlier. The scene was starting to become very prolific back then, and Braid may have been one of the most successful, but to call it the original?

That's hella revisionist.

Not really.

Braid was clearly a bigger deal than any of those games regarding indie games blowing up in the mainstream, which is pretty obviously what the writer meant.

It's no different than when people refer to, say, Gears of War as the 'orginal' cover-based shooter or Doom as the original FPS even if there were other games that did the exact same thing before. It's just because that's the game of it's type that made the biggest splash.

Tain

Last footage I saw of this had all of the logic puzzles taking place on panels. Is that still the case? Or is that just a small minority of the game's puzzles?

Well it looks AMAZING. With all the passion he's putting in to this project, it's going to be great. I see this having much more of a draw on consumers than Braid too.

Marcel

The Witness, on the other hand, is built on top of a proven formula and is going to be released in a better market situation ("From the creator of Braid" also helps). The extra time and resources poured into it are but a layer of polish, unlike with Uru.

We won't know if "the creator of Braid" moniker will still have the purchase-pushing power until the game actually comes out, whenever that is. And if it will recoup Blow's personal investments.

Earlier you used the point that an audience didn't react to the Uru release, which was a sign that this wouldn't be worth it. Now you're saying that an audience reacting to Talos Principle is a sign this wouldn't be worth it.

I didn't make first mention of the Talos Principle since I was merely reacting to your statement about it. I'm not the only one who feels this way as you can go to page 1 to find others.

How did XBLA sales fall so far off the deep end? I loved buying stuff from XBLA. So much great content from around '09 until maybe 2011. Now all the new stuff seems like it was sent there to die.

Marcel

How did XBLA sales fall so far off the deep end? I loved buying stuff from XBLA. So much great content from around '09 until maybe 2011. Now all the new stuff seems like it was sent there to die.

As an Xbox 360 owner in the previous gen, it was basically a content graveyard in the late going. Microsoft abandoned it.

I've also wondered about the price he'll be asking for this game, considering how long it's been in development. I'd pay at least $40 for it, but how many other people would? $15-$20 seems to be the most common price for these download-only games that are made by small teams, and I worry people will pass if it's more than that.

As for release, recent things he's said on Twitter and whatnot makes me think the game is in polish mode. He mentioned people playing what he refers to as a beta, so I'm hopeful it will actually come out this year. If not, I've waited this long, so what's a little more?

Top Bottom