• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Engadget: Braid creator Jonathan Blow sacrifices his fortune to build The Witness

Gestault

kind of interesting that he wasn't able to get funding. i'm assuming he at least got something for the ps4 timed exclusivity?

I'd imagine it was a case of not wanting to get funding, partly on account of the bureaucracy that would have been involved, but also just wanting his creative output to benefit him and the people working with him, not a third party. Because of his work, the seed money wasn't a challenge.

kind of interesting that he wasn't able to get funding. i'm assuming he at least got something for the ps4 timed exclusivity?

Marketing deal?

Features prominently on the PSBlog and on the PS Store as well as having a more visible presence at any Sony gaming event where he might want to demo the game?

Meh, he is enough of a name to not have any trouble finding work to keep him paid (should the game do horribly).

Can't wait for The Witness. I've only watched the official trailers.

Jb

I wonder if "bigger" indie games still do big numbers on consoles like they occasionally did on XBLA/PS3 in the days of Braid and Meat Boy. It seems like the success stories come more from Steam these days, but obviously that's just anectodal evidence.

BlueMagic

Fuck the haters, Blow is great.

He might be too dissenting at times towards things that people love, but he is right about the gulf in what games are versus what they could be.

He is also a great coder. Really look up to him in that line.

My thoughts exactly.

IF this dude would friggin get the game out already, he wouldn't have to worry about his money.

Wasn't this supposed to be out like ........... 6 months ago?

Sotha_Sil

I sometimes forget the game exists due to the lack of updates, but this is still one of my most-anticipated games coming out on the PS4 (behind only The Witcher 3). Every time I read an article about the design process of The Witness, I just nod and smile. Whatever the price is for the game, I'm there day one.

It's weird to me that people think The Talos Principle is somehow digging into The Witness's profits. By the time The Witness comes out I'm sure the majority of TTP audience would have moved on or would be craving for more. Besides, its not like people who are into these types of games have a wealth of choices. I just don't see TPP effecting sales of this game much beyond some who might have played TPP and didn't like it so they skip this game too. Also I think the name behind The Witness will likely give it some bigger publicity as well as it being a PS4 exclusive so the console warriors will definitely latch on to it.

Seanspeed

Banned
It's weird to me that people think The Talos Principle is somehow digging into The Witness's profits. By the time The Witness comes out I'm sure the majority of TTP audience would have moved on or would be craving for more. Besides, its not like people who are into these types of games have a wealth of choices. I just don't see TPP effecting sales of this game much beyond some who might have played TPP and didn't like it so they skip this game too. Also I think the name behind The Witness will likely give it some bigger publicity as well as it being a PS4 exclusive so the console warriors will definitely latch on to it.
How many people even *know* about The Talos Principle?

I'm pretty sure The Witness is going to have much stronger marketing.

Luke_Wal

Man, if only this game would come out soon.... But really, I remember hearing podcast retellings of visits to Jonathan Blow's apartment to play this game in 2011! It's been 4 years at this point!

Sendou

IF this dude would friggin get the game out already, he wouldn't have to worry about his money.

Wasn't this supposed to be out like ........... 6 months ago?

The only scenario I can see him having to worry about money is if the game is shit. Not only would The Witness fail to sell but there wouldn't be hype for his next game either.

So that in mind I'd say they should take their time.

Honestly, the Witness is going to cost $20-30; his company will get $14-21 of that. 250,000-500,000 copies to break-even if you assume a mid-single millions budget (and "break even" is sort of a moot thing; the spent money is spent, the real question is whether or not it generates enough revenue for him to want to make another game afterwards). Even if it's significantly less successful than Braid was, he'll do OK.
He said that the witness is one of the most ambitious games on his list of things he wants to make so it's unlikely he will even need to make loads back.

How many people even *know* about The Talos Principle?

I'm pretty sure The Witness is going to have much stronger marketing.

The Talos Pinrciple seemed to be doing pretty well on Steam. But I agree with you, The Witness has a lot more going for it than TPP does.

pompidu

Hope to see more of this game soon. This and no man's sky seems like very promising when it comes to large indie games. Hurry up and finish so I can play them!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
"The original indie game" - wow. Bravo Engadget.
Article gets an 'A' for Revisionism. Even if we forgo the direct meaning and assume a broader one, at least three indie titles of that exact period made serious splashes:

Castle Crashers (#1 for 2008 XBLA)
Braid (#2 for 2008 XBLA)
World of Goo (PC & WiiWare)

Honestly, the Witness is going to cost $20-30; his company will get $14-21 of that. 250,000-500,000 copies to break-even if you assume a mid-single millions budget (and "break even" is sort of a moot thing; the spent money is spent, the real question is whether or not it generates enough revenue for him to want to make another game afterwards). Even if it's significantly less successful than Braid was, he'll do OK.

Yep. People will play it and he'll likely feel contented.

Why does nobody write articles about me when I use this months takings to buy stock to sell next month?
I'm sacrificing money here! I'm a financial martyr!

Haunted

Here's hoping!

Gestault

WTF? That's called an investment not a sacrifice. Why is Engadget so bad?

I think the reasoning is that an individual putting the means of their lifestyle into a project is different from a company putting risk-balanced resources into one. In that way I get it, even if it feels overblown in a headline.

I think the reasoning is that an individual putting the means of their lifestyle into a project is different from a company putting risk-balanced resources into one. In that way I get it, even if it feels overblown in a headline.
Investments aren't always risk-balanced or made by companies. Individuals make big investments too.

Phear

Blow is da man. His addiction to "perfection" is unparalleled. Braid is one of the few games i will remember forever. I dont care, if the Witness isn't as good, he will get my dollars right away, with not a single review read,

If you read his blog, things like optimizing save-progress without hickups and stuff... it's amazing how dedicated this guy is.

Seriously, without having played any of the upcomming 2015 games, i know i'm not wrong puting The Witness up as GOAT.

I wish Notch had the same attitude instead of cancelling 0x10c 1 year into development because he knew he would never be able to repeat the success of Minecraft.

Why risk so much when he could've just kickstarted it? I would've supported that Day 1.

People vastly overestimate the amount of money that crowdfunding/Kickstarter can give you.

Even Wasteland 2's record-breaking $11 million isn't much in the scheme of game development. Remember when Ouya tried to launch an entire console off of $2 million?

I guess the exception is Star Citizen, but that's a statistical outlier.

dr_rus

I dunno. How hard would it be to port Braid to PS4/XBO considering that it's a 2D game which has a perfectly fine PC version? I think they should do it. That looks like an easy source of income for them.

Also - I don't know why it's not on Vita. But that may be a bit trickier to accomplish.

K.Sabot

I really appreciate Blow's dedication to the project, but I'm worried I won't like the line puzzles at all (something he seems to hinging his hopes on being successful, considering they dictate the larger world puzzles within the game).

Also agree with the guy saying Cave Story and Yume Nikki were the games that put the word "indie" back into my mind post-shareware days. Braid certainly put xbox live arcade on the map, and with it console indies, and probably did a lot for western indies.

IcyEyes

I hope this game will ends up being awesome and successful.
The premise are really good, I love the mood and the idea behind this game.

Ps In this thread something nice happen. Finally.

Bought. I back projects no matter the medium, where it looks like the vision is cohesive and it will be entertaining. He is willing to put his effort and money behind it then I will get behind it. I don't stress over games taking forever to release anymore after the final fantasy versus/XV situation. I hope he at least breaks even, This game seems like a huge risk in a market that doesn't cater to the gameplay design he is providing.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Since the actual article is better, I didn't consider this thread-worthy, but for those who love their daily dose of "lol video game journalism":

01yzue9.jpg

PJKGdNK.jpg

02gpufy.jpg

(Credit to YianGaruga.)

Top Bottom