• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Engadget: Halo: The Master Chief Collection coming to Xbox One this year, Halos 1-4

JaggedSac

Maybe for an "enhanced" experience. If they do say use Xbox Live Compute for AI, I would assume it would be to get more intelligent things on the screen at once by offloading AI. With the change to not requiring the internet on the console at all times, I can't see them making their flagship franchise require it and suffer from an online only tag even for singleplayer.

It should allow for much larger encounters for horde type modes though.

Bsigg12

It should allow for much larger encounters for horde type modes though.

Exactly. By being online you could in theory get better encounters thanks to the AI and physics being offloaded . If you choose to be offline though, you'll be limited to the console hardware which may still be more significant than anything we've seen before in the Halo franchise.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Exactly. By being online you could in theory get better encounters thanks to the AI and physics being offloaded . If you choose to be offline though, you'll be limited to the console hardware which may still be more significant than anything we've seen before in the Halo franchise.
I'm not worried about that as long as the Halo 2 campaign remains unchanged, except for the graphics and maybe adding in a cut content or two like the Juggernaut.

Caayn

343i just shared this picture on their facebook page. Notice the controllers they're holding. I know it's not the first time that 343i is caught with a Xbox One controller, but still.

The Flash

Banned
343i just shared this picture on their facebook page. Notice the controllers they're holding. I know it's not the first time that 343i is caught with a Xbox One controller, but still.

biggums.gif

antigoon

After watching your video, I just think we have a difference of opinions:

:17 -- I've explained in detail how the CE Pistol was not broken. All things considered (limited sandbox, other weapons that outclassed the Pistol in certain situations, etc.), the Pistol played its role as the CE utility weapon for such a limited weapon sandbox. I've heard every argument in existence about why people think the CE Pistol is broken, but it's simply not as what people make it seem.

I haven't finished reading the thread but I just wanted to say that thread you linked to was amazing and I 100% agree with your analysis. I miss Halo CE multiplayer so much. Honestly, I think the enormous following a game like Dota 2 has shows that success can be had with a deep, complex game that, while difficult at times, really rewards players who stick with it.

Edit: I am missing CE so much now. Does Xlink work with 360s?

I haven't finished reading the thread but I just wanted to say that thread you linked to was amazing and I 100% agree with your analysis. I miss Halo CE multiplayer so much. Honestly, I think the enormous following a game like Dota 2 has shows that success can be had with a deep, complex game that, while difficult at times, really rewards players who stick with it.
Thanks, I appreciate it. I love having these conversations with long time Halo fans. I completely agree with what you said about DotA and it's funny because I was having that very discussion with a friend today lol. Players still crave it, and it shows through other games. Accessible, not overly "balanced" or watered down, yet still containing depth.

I hope you keep reading that thread too; many great posts from other people.
Edit: I am missing CE so much now. Does Xlink work with 360s?
www.XBConnect.com -- It works with 360's :]

But still? They honestly could be playing anything. As far as speculation about what they are doing...... 343 was specifically created by Microsoft to handle the Halo series so I would imagine they are working on... a Halo game.

Unless I am missing something here.

antigoon

Thanks, I appreciate it. I love having these conversations with long time Halo fans. I completely agree with what you said about DotA and it's funny because I was having that very discussion with a friend today lol. Players still crave it, and it shows through other games. Accessible, not overly "balanced" or watered down, yet still containing depth.

I hope you keep reading that thread too; many great posts from other people.

www.XBConnect.com -- It works with 360's :]

I read the whole thing, it was great. I haven't touched CE since college or maybe even before actually, brought back some nice memories and a faint hope that 343 is listening. I'm definitely gonna check out XBC.

Aside from the gameplay concerns, I think implementing a proper ranked matchmaking system like Dota 2, Starcraft, LoL, etc. is something that Halo definitely needs at this point. I heard 343 has brought some more esports people into the fold - is this true? Could be a good sign.

Looking at the distinct blue flair reflecting off his beard, I conclude that's definitely a Battle Rifle with 63 bullets left in the clip.

ryan299

Wasn't it rumored that the Halo 2 level from the E3 premiere before it got scrapped would be put into the anniversary? Anybody think that would happen?

I read the whole thing, it was great. I haven't touched CE since college or maybe even before actually, brought back some nice memories and a faint hope that 343 is listening. I'm definitely gonna check out XBC.

Aside from the gameplay concerns, I think implementing a proper ranked matchmaking system like Dota 2, Starcraft, LoL, etc. is something that Halo definitely needs at this point. I heard 343 has brought some more esports people into the fold - is this true? Could be a good sign.
Yup, Josh Menke.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Wasn't it rumored that the Halo 2 level from the E3 premiere before it got scrapped would be put into the anniversary? Anybody think that would happen?

Stinkles mentioned here that it is still playable and he would love to see something be done with it. This was before the H2A rumors heated up.

BigTnaples

If they use that level to demo it at e3? Hhhnnnng.

I was thinking that. A perfect remake of the E3 level with a completely new engine would be freaking amazing.

So would a remake of the announcement trailer. One of the best in history. Although it was so different in the final game it wouldn't be able to be retrofitted very well.

Takashi

If they use that level to demo it at e3? Hhhnnnng.

That'd be nice, but the E3 demo was just a reimagined Metropolis anyway with reused lines. What I'd really want them to include are the extra ending levels that were cut out. I think Frankie or someone said they still had access to those somewhere.

HTupolev

Or real time visor reflections.
You never know, they could throw in some cheapo screen-space effects that don't reflect anything 90% of the time.

Actually, those are becoming "cheap" enough that Halo 1's reign as the only Halo with any real-time reflecting surfaces might end soon. Though in that case, it would remain the only Halo with surfaces that could serve as a half-decent mirror; you would have a hard time pulling off the Halo 1 Control Room look with a screen-space implementation.

Filaipus

Banned
Agree, kill barriers need to go. Let us explore the levels again. It was awesome in Halo CE/2 and somewhat in Halo 3 to just walk around the level looking for random stuff put their by the devs like the gaint football or the scarab gun. Glitching out of a level is extremely fun but sadly later entries in the franchise tried to make that harder than ever.

4's kill barriers felt like a finger to people who explore/jumps around levels. Reach was already bad but Reach had holes in their deathbarriers allowing us to escape the levels, I remember getting to the absolute edge of the map on the mission Tip of the Spear only to find out that I've been wandering around for literally hours and according to me nav points I was 20KM outside of the normal playing area that's crazy.

This was a lot harder, almost non-existant in Halo 4. I did managed to get out of Forge World (Without pan cam) and was one of the first to discover the cave area in one the anvils. This shot shows how huge Forge World in Halo 4 really is.

Agreed.

O yes, they need to remove that. I still don't understand why they did it, were they afraid of people seeing incomplete things that were not meant to be seen? I don't get it.

BigTnaples

You never know, they could throw in some cheapo screen-space effects that don't reflect anything 90% of the time.

Actually, those are becoming "cheap" enough that Halo 1's reign as the only Halo with any real-time reflecting surfaces might end soon. Though in that case, it would remain the only Halo with surfaces that could serve as a half-decent mirror; you would have a hard time pulling off the Halo 1 Control Room look with a screen-space implementation.

It'd be awesome if they used both.

Material shaders/based lightingwould be great to but now I am dreaming.

Colbert

Banned
At least this is somehow legit because it is directly from majornelson.com. Does anybody know if this is the title screen of the original version?

14348721514_c45bbd6650.jpg

Top Bottom