• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Engadget: Nintendo faces lawsuit over the Switch's detachable controllers

L.O.R.D

jpg

yah,it's just normal gamepad that attaches to tablets,let's pretend we discover it first.

Memory

Has there been a single Gen Nintendo have not been in court for some claim or other? I'm sure they only just won a case they were fighting last gen last year.

Has there been a single Gen Nintendo have not been in court for some claim or other? I'm sure they only just won a case they were fighting last gen last year.
Been like clockwork, only fight they basically lost was against Phillips. Even the initial loss concerning the 3DS was overturned in appeals eventually.

Beartruck

This is like when as kids my brother and I made up the white ranger and then OMG the green ranger turned into the white ranger, they took our idea!

faint.

Nintendo's lawyers must be happy. It's been some time since they were last sued for patent infringement IIRC.

What are the chances of this suit being judged in favor of the plaintiff?

Very slim. Ninty has a great track record of beating patent trolls.

TheContact

Nintendo is one of the most sue-happy companies so if it was their patent they would definitely sue whomever used it but wtf is a Wikipad

Nintendo is one of the most sue-happy companies so if it was their patent they would definitely sue whomever used it but wtf is a Wikipad
I don't think modern Nintendo has actually sued anyone in court at this point outside a counter litigation, since DMCA takedowns don't actually involve a lawsuit.

Also Wikipad is a smart device accessory maker. Their product "Wikipad" is just a tablet controller sleeve.

As someone who works with patents, I gotta say the Switch does not fit that claim whatsoever. I'm not entirely sure why they feel confident enough to sue, there is no way anyone would rule in their favor based on that claim.

There might be more I haven't seen, but the Switch has quite a few major differences from the invention presented in that claim, including the lack of a central data port (it has one on each side, each one connecting to a single confinement structure) and there is nothing like the claimed structural bridge.

TheKeyPit

Banned
That's why I hate patents. It's okay if you invented the world's first power generator that generates power on its own, but something like this here is just ridiculous in my opinion.

Dingens

I'm kinda curious... has Nintendo ever sued anyone over one of their patents?
(not talking about copyright infringement)

I'm kinda curious... has Nintendo ever sued anyone over one their patents?
(not talking about copyright infringement)

I dare say they must have done over the years but its not something you hear often and I'd imagine though they'd have loads they could have sued over

ec0ec0

According to the suit, the Switch and its removable Joy-Con controllers are too close to Gamevice's vision of a combination of detachable game controller and a device with a "flexible bridge section."

lol

Peltz

obviously this lawsuit only exists because the Switch is sucessful.

how many companies tried to sue Nintendo for anything Wii U related?

To be fair, you wouldn't sue someone for unsuccessfully ripping off your idea. It makes no financial sense. Lawsuits between corporations are primarily driven by profit incentives, and only secondarily by principles.

Top Bottom