• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Engadget: The SNES Classic is probably the last retro [home] console Nintendo will ma

ggx2ac

*make

More at the link: https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/29/the-snes-classic-is-last-retro-nintendo/

First and foremost, the N64's game library is far less suited to nostalgic throwbacks compared to its predecessors. Yes, there are surefire first-party games to tick off, like Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64, the original Super Smash Brothers and Star Fox 64. But some of its best titles would be difficult to license -- especially classics like Goldeneye 007, Perfect Dark, Banjo-Kazooie and Jet Force Gemini -- all made by second-party studio Rare in its heyday, before it was acquired by Microsoft.

Even if Nintendo could get the rights, many of those titles recently appeared in Rare Replay, a collection released in 2015 for the Xbox One. Several of the N64's remaining iconic games were transplanted to the company's handheld consoles, like the 2004 port of Super Mario 64 for the DS or the graphically updated Zelda: Ocarina of Time in 2011 for the 3DS, so you've likely recently revisited the best games the N64 had to offer.

But overall, the system's catalogue is far more uneven than the SNES', especially since many third-party developers balked at the N64's cartridge format and chose to develop for Sony's CD-based PlayStation console instead. Compared to the SNES Classic's lineup, which includes strong Konami and Square games, N64's best third-party games (Rare titles aside) could be limited to Turok, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron and Harvest Moon 64.

There's another elephant in the room for an N64 revival, and it has three trunks. The console's controller was not only an aesthetic aberration but also featured one of the first mass-produced joysticks, and boy, it has not aged well. Anyone who owned the console can attest that the directional twig's rigidity faded with age as the spry stick wilted away from its original center position, and it wasn't terribly precise to begin with.

Plus, the N64's games rarely ended up using the directional pad-equipped left third of the controller, meaning more plastic deadweight that Nintendo would have to reproduce. The company could modernize the old controller,
but given how much fidelity it has sought to reproduce the exact look and feel of the appropriate gamepads for the NES and SNES Classics, it's doubtful it'd stray from that for a hypothetical N64 edition.

This is a laundry list of reasons an N64 Classic probably won't happen -- but we at Engadget would still line up to buy one should Nintendo deign to do so. Like the mini NES and SNES editions preceding it, we'd love a compact, plug-and-play nostalgia box to tote around to friends' places for impromptu Super Smash Bros or Mario Kart 64 matches.

I'll throw in my opinion too, an N64 Classic Mini could sell well to Nintendo enthusiasts however, we've seen that Nintendo has used the NES Classic and SNES Classic to bring attention to the mainstream crowd.

Back then, we know the NES was big, and the SNES. However, following that though the PS1 and PS2 was what dominated the mainstream crowd. The next Nintendo console to follow that would be the Wii and it's too early to be making a Wii Classic Mini.

So the alternative would be to make handheld Classic Mini consoles.

So a Gameboy Color Classic Mini and a Gameboy Advance Classic Mini would probably be bigger than an N64 Classic Mini and GameCube Classic Mini.

Edit:

Here are the biggest N64 sellers:

RJrFzHh_d.jpg

I agree, I don't see N64 Classic really being a thing. It was a great console, and I loved the shit out of mine, but I just don't see it.

Now, Sony making a mini Playstation that had like 50 classic PS1 games on it with two original controllers packed in? Maybe even working memory card slots so if you still had old cards/saves you could shove em into a slot and pick up where you left off 20+ years ago or whatever? THAT I would see flying off shelves.

But the N64 was just an ungainly thing that it's hard to have the sort of clean, universal nostalgia for along those lines.

So they just think they won't because N64? So no Gameboy or anything?

I don't think the N64 would be too hard. Maybe fewer games but the likes of OoT and Mario 64 still hold up rather well and are worth quite a bit even if it's 10-15 to SNES's 20.
The controller having a bad analog stick back in the day likely doesn't mean much anyways since they're making new ones

Potential games:
Mario 64
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Super Smash Bros.
Mario Kart 64
Kirby 64
Donkey Kong 64
Star Fox 64
Yoshi's Story
Sin & Punishment
Mario Party (one of the 3)
F-Zero
Maybe animal crossing in Japan

Not sure about 3rd party stuff. Mischief Makers is a cult classic. Goemon too. Doom and Torrok.

Seems pretty easy to fill a list. Maybe MS would be open to licensing BK for it which would make it complete.

rudger

The real issue with an N64 mini is that to really make it worthwhile, you'd have to sell it with 4 controllers.

ggx2ac

The real issue with an N64 mini is that to really make it worthwhile, you'd have to sell it with 4 controllers.

That would be a real pain, no way they would bundle four controllers and there would be lots of people scalping controllers too.

1. Super Mario 64
2. Mario Kart 64
3. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
4. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
5. Mario Tennis
6. Mario Golf
7. Mario Party
8. Pokemon Snap
9. Star Fox 64
10. Donkey Kong 64
11. Diddy Kong Racing
12. Kirby 64: Crystal Shards
13. Paper Mario
14. Excitebike 64
15. 1080 Snowboarding
15. Wave Race 64
16. Yoshi's Story
17. Bomberman 64
18. Star Wars Rogue Squadron
19. Mischief Makers/Sin & Punishment
20. Wrestlemania/Tony Hawk/Resident Evil 2/Ogre Battle/Harvest Moon/Turok/List goes on
21. Animal Crossing (UNRELEASED)

Smellycat

I agree, I don't see N64 Classic really being a thing. It was a great console, and I loved the shit out of mine, but I just don't see it.

Now, Sony making a mini Playstation that had like 50 classic PS1 games on it with two original controllers packed in? Maybe even working memory card slots so if you still had old cards/saves you could shove em into a slot and pick up where you left off 20+ years ago or whatever? THAT I would see flying off shelves.

But the N64 was just an ungainly thing that it's hard to have the sort of clean, universal nostalgia for along those lines.

one aspect where Sony might not have the same impact is with the controllers

maxresdefault.jpg

While PS controllers have evolved, they mostly have the same layout. This is obviously not true with the NES/SNES and all other Nintendo consoles

Anth0ny

I think they'll do N64. Nostalgia for that thing is so strong that I still actually see it being played at parties for Kart, Goldeneye, Smash, Mario Party, etc. People would lose their minds if it was announced, especially if they were able to get those Rare games on there somehow.

It would probably only have 10 games though. 15 tops.

Alphahawk

This seems like a "Hot Take"

An N64 mini without Rare titles would still be fine.

Off the top of my head, thinking about what you could do

Super Mario 64
Dr Mario 64
Fighters Destiny (Arguably the best fighting game for the N64)
Star Fox 64
Yoshi's Story
Paper Mario
Mario Party
Smash Brothers
Mario Kart 64
Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon (Third party)
F-Zero X
Pokemon Snap
Pokemon Puzzle League
Zelda:OOT
Zelda: Majora's Mask
Mischief Makers
Sin and Punishment

Gleethor

I think they vastly underestimate the nostalgia for the N64 in the US.

If they can't work things out with Rare? Yeah, maybe don't bother. But the Rare Replay excuse? Complete nonsense. NES VC existing on Wii/3DS/Wii U didn't kneecap the appeal of the NES Classic to the masses.

That's great and all but there's tons of people that didn't buy an N64 so they wouldn't really feel nostalgia for it which means it would only sell to Nintendo enthusiasts.
Ocarina of time is pretty beloved. Would probably sell enough that Nintendo would produce anyways
If it was GameCube or Wii U then maybe. N64 still sold pretty well

Smellycat

I personally wouldn't buy it. Early 3D era games haven't aged as well as 2D games, and I bet a whole lot of people would find them too jarring to play.

There is little reason for Microsoft to refuse these games to be licensed. Nintendo and Microsoft actually have a good business relationship with each other dating to the Wii/DS era and continuing today with Crossplay.

The bigger issue is likely golden eye, but perfect dark is the better game so no huge loss there.

As for not as nostalgic? The person working the article is likely in his early 30's and grew up mostly on nes/snes... Ask a 20 something about n64 (i work with several) and you'll get a very different result

I personally wouldn't buy it. Early 3D era games haven't aged as well as 2D games, and I bet a whole lot of people would find them too jarring to play.
Id feel confident in saying OoT and Mario 64 have aged Better than most games in the NES classic
Maybe not SMB3

Alphahawk

There is little reason for Microsoft to refuse these games to be licensed. Nintendo and Microsoft actually have a good business relationship with each other dating to the Wii/DS era and continuing today with Crossplay.

The bigger issue is likely golden eye, but perfect dark is the better game so no huge loss there.

As for not as nostalgic? The person working the article is likely in his early 30's and grew up mostly on nes/snes... All a 20 something about n64 (i work with several) and you'll get a very different result

This is true actually, I remember Viva Pinata even had a DS port

Edit: Also I remember people arguing the SFX chip would severly limit the SNESmini output, and as we can see that wasn't an issue.

Gleethor

As for not as nostalgic? The person working the article is likely in his early 30's and grew up mostly on nes/snes... All a 20 something about n64 (i work with several) and you'll get a very different result

For real. College campuses are home to tons of N64 game nights and tourneys at bars. The thirst is real.

DogDude

N64 nostalgia is bigger than SNES nostalgia, at least in the US.

Harvest Moon 64 and Bomberman 64 pleaseeeee for 3rd parties

The N64 classic probably isn't happening.

I'm willing to bet, however, that Nintendo's next retro system will be a Game Boy mini. A rechargeable portable device with preloaded handheld games ranging from GB, GBC, and maybe even GBA games (though that might be another version).

I think folks would go nuts for a Tetris/classic Pokemon machine.

LewieP

I think it's a little early to do N64, but it will happen eventually.

I think some kind of Gameboy first, but the question is whether it would be a handheld, or a microconsole + HDMI.

Edit: A NES vol 2, then a SNES vol. 2 would maybe make more sense before an N64, too.

Edit2: I wonder if an N64 Mini would be the thing that gets MS and Nintendo talking again to get the Rare back catalogue on there, and work on the Goldeneye license stuff together.

Zalman

I'm not actually sure I want an N64 Classic without Rare. And it's not just Rare, there are also things like the Pokémon Stadium series. Both among the best-selling games on the platform, but impossible to pull off without some sort of Transfer Pak functionality.

There are just so many hoops they have to go through in order to make the product most people want.

120v

i think they'll do a gameboy one at least

n64 kids have come of age, it'd be throwing money away at least not entertaining the notion, it may very well sell more than the snes one

Anth0ny

nostalgia is what matters with this release, though. goldeneye is essential.

I think it's a little early to do N64, but it will happen eventually.

I think some kind of Gameboy first, but the question is whether it would be a handheld, or a microconsole + HDMI.

I could see a Gameboy using the same board as the SNES with an LCD and running everything through a Super Gameboy loader.

Real question is if the Gameboy software catalog has enough oomph.

I could see a Gameboy using the same board as the SNES with an LCD and running everything through a Super Gameboy loader.

It might be cheaper to just use the innards of the GBA SP. Heck, even make it a clamshell again just like that.

GBA SP might be my fav handheld device ever now that I think about it.

I don't really know how you'd go about quantifying this, but it sure feels wrong to me.
It'd be an age thing. My sister (born in 1990) would certainly have a magnitude more nostalgia for the N64 than the SNES. The reverse is true for me.

This article is pretty dumb though. They'd have more than enough to justify the creation of a N64 classic with only 1st party stuff. It wouldn't be the best version but it could exist and it would sell out just like the NES and SNES did/will.

Millennial here. N64 was HUGE with my generation. An N64 mini at $100 with 15 or so games would probably still sell pretty well.

I think that's about as far as they can go though with the retro consoles. Wii feels too recent and GameCube wasn't really successful anywhere, plus the larger game sizes would be problematic. They couldn't realistically do any Virtual Console-esque features either.

Now a Game Boy Classic (can't imagine they'd do a "mini" version), I could see that coming. It'd be neat if they did one that spanned from the original all the way through Advance.

He might be right about it not happening but his reasoning is crap:

1) There's no games cause Rare + Goldeneye
- There are plenty of games, which others have already posted

2) The controller, they'd have to redesign it
- Hori made a good redesigned N64 controller, but honestly the most iconic thing about the N64 is The Claw. If Nintendo didn't do an N64 Classic it wouldn't be because the controller is weird, I can't imagine that they actually would give a shit about "empty space" on the D-Pad side.

3) Mario 64 and OoT are available on Virtual Console and 3DS so you wouldn't buy them
- Uhhh who gives a shit? Super Mario Bros is available on the Virtual Console for the Wii, Wii U, and 3DS, that sure as hell didn't stop people from buying the NES Classic

Balb

*make

More at the link: https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/29/the-snes-classic-is-last-retro-nintendo/

I'll throw in my opinion too, an N64 Classic Mini could sell well to Nintendo enthusiasts however, we've seen that Nintendo has used the NES Classic and SNES Classic to bring attention to the mainstream crowd.

Back then, we know the NES was big, and the SNES. However, following that though the PS1 and PS2 was what dominated the mainstream crowd. The next Nintendo console to follow that would be the Wii and it's too early to be making a Wii Classic Mini.

So the alternative would be to make handheld Classic Mini consoles.

So a Gameboy Color Classic Mini and a Gameboy Advance Classic Mini would probably be bigger than an N64 Classic Mini and GameCube Classic Mini.

The N64 is as mainstream as the SNES in North America. It wouldn't make waves in Europe or Japan but an N64 Classic would do very well in NA.

Zalman

It might be cheaper to just use the innards of the GBA SP. Heck, even make it a clamshell again just like that.

GBA SP might be my fav handheld device ever now that I think about it.
I could see them do a Game Boy Classic for GB and GBC games with a design that resembles the GBC. All they really need to include is Super Mario Land, Tetris, and Pokémon. Those alone would make the system fly off the shelves. Add some extras like Kirby and Wario and they're good to go.

Millennial here. N64 was HUGE with my generation. An N64 mini at $100 with 15 or so games would probably still sell pretty well.

I think that's about as far as they can go though with the retro consoles. Wii feels too recent and GameCube wasn't really successful anywhere, plus the larger game sizes would be problematic. They couldn't realistically do any Virtual Console-esque features either.

Now a Game Boy Classic (can't imagine they'd do a "mini" version), I could see that coming. It'd be neat if they did one that spanned from the original all the way through Advance.
Gameboy classic seems to make a lot of sense. Might be harder since it would need to be battery powered and with a screen but it would sell.

I'd love an OUYA sized GameCube but maybe 5 years from now.

one aspect where Sony might not have the same impact is with the controllers

maxresdefault.jpg

While PS controllers have evolved, they mostly have the same layout. This is obviously not true with the NES/SNES and all other Nintendo consoles

I wanted that see-through green controller so badly as a kid.

I would suspect so but won't bet on it.

I don't have lots of nostalgia for 3D graphics especially since you can run them much better with emulators. 2D still maintains its lure.

Now, maybe a GB/GBA hybrid handheld of sorts can be a good candidate for some nostalgia kick. Something quite small and pocketable that I would bring along if I didn't want to carry my Switch around. Won't pay more than $100 for that, though. With the 2DS/3DS family still alive and kicking, it might be a harder sell especially with all the deals during the Holidays.

The other problem a Gameboy Classic has in addition to the weak(er than you remember) library, is price.

Even if they got it down to $50, in 2018 you're almost certainly going to have a $100 3DS, maybe even with a game included. The products are going to be competing with each other.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Honestly I think they're done with these for a while after this one. Feel like they want to make as many Switches as they can (something they're struggling to do right now) and a Game Boy version is eating into sales more than the NES/SNES. And the 3DS/2DS is still on shelves too so the need for a cheaper handhold really isnt there.

They can easily sell those GB/GBA games through whatever they end up doing with VC... which is where they'd make more money than selling a separate $80 box. I bet next year they do a 30-in-1 Gameboy collection for the Switch but with features like those in NES Remix

Top Bottom