• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Engadget: The SNES Classic is probably the last retro [home] console Nintendo will ma

Cartman86

Banned
I violently disagree with this and I'm someone who doesn't really like the N64. There is something here just waiting to be mined. Plenty of games too. There is no logic to the SNES and NEE classic. All of those games can be found. You really think the people who really want the Classic series bought Rare Replay? That would assume they will get the rights to Rare games (they won't).

MilkyJoe

one aspect where Sony might not have the same impact is with the controllers

maxresdefault.jpg

While PS controllers have evolved, they mostly have the same layout. This is obviously not true with the NES/SNES and all other Nintendo consoles

Hideous...

Re topic, was anyone really expecting it?

Santiako

N64 games have aged horribly for the most part, no amount of nostalgia goggles can make most people play games at 20 fps nowadays.

sgjackson

Honestly, I'd use a hypothetical N64 classic more than the other two. If it has Goldeneye (or Perfect Dark), Smash, Mario Kart, and Mario Party, I can pull that out in basically any gathering of 20-somethings who are not averse to video games and have a fuckin' blast. There's enough of a back catalog of games that hold up well enough to flesh it out past that, but I'd buy one if it only had those four games on it and was able to support four controllers.

I don't see it.

The controller being so large already goes against the economics that make these work.

Likewise for you needing four of them to really get the full experience for multiplayer games like Smash, Mario Kart, and Mario Party - which means the console has to be big enough to accommodate four controllers. And Nintendo would probably have to reissue enough to keep people happy - using the old N64 controller connector makes the console even bigger.

And then I'm not really sure Nintendo needs to reach out to lapsed N64 players, certainly not with the lineup of games that'd be on such a system. They're already making brand-new 3D Mario, 3D Zelda, Mario Kart, and probably Smash Bros. What else is there of import to sell this thing?

Regardless if there will be an N64 Classic or not, I just wish that Diddy Kong Racing will one day find it's way out of copyright hell...

Nessus

Didn't even think about the cost of making those controllers.

Also, for a lot of the best N64 games it'd have to support 4 controllers.

Could definitely see Nintendo not bothering with it.

this is absurd. the last retro console for maybe a little while but to look at historic trends and say they will never do it again for the rest of time is a little.... uh.... presumptious

Didn't even think about the cost of making those controllers.

Also, for a lot of the best N64 games it'd have to support 4 controllers.

Could definitely see Nintendo not bothering with it.

lol but they could sell 4 controllers! think about it. Goldeneye. Mario Kart. 4 controllers. online matchmaking.

3d printing is going to make fabrication dirt cheap in 5-10 years, they will make a killing.

Budi

I also feel that from visual standpoint most of it's games haven't aged well at all. The 2D sprite art of NES and SNES games is much nicer to look at than those 3D games on 64. This makes the purchace less appealing too.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
1. Super Mario 64
2. Mario Kart 64
3. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
4. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
5. Mario Tennis
6. Mario Golf
7. Mario Party
8. Pokemon Snap
9. Star Fox 64
10. Donkey Kong 64
11. Diddy Kong Racing
12. Kirby 64: Crystal Shards
13. Paper Mario
14. Excitebike 64
15. 1080 Snowboarding
15. Wave Race 64
16. Yoshi's Story
17. Bomberman 64
18. Star Wars Rogue Squadron
19. Mischief Makers/Sin & Punishment
20. Wrestlemania/Tony Hawk/Resident Evil 2/Ogre Battle/Harvest Moon/Turok/List goes on
21. Animal Crossing (UNRELEASED)
22. DOOM 64

Think you missed the last game in the list ;).

Just look at the Virtual Console.

Only 21 games for both Wii and Wii U for N64 with Wii U having 4 new ones.

Compare that to other VC systems for Wii U:

NES>90
SNES>50
GBA>70
DS>30
Wii>20

It's clear Nintendo doesn't have much interest in that library past a few titles and are more comfortable with other systems.

ZeoVGM

Banned
First and foremost, the N64's game library is far less suited to nostalgic throwbacks compared to its predecessors.

This is absolutely and 100% not true.

In fact, I would argue that despite the PS1 being more successful, the N64 is actually more suited to nostalgia than it from a casual audience. Mainly because of the memories have people playing the numerous multiplayer games with their friends -- GoldenEye, Mario Kart, Mario Party, Smash Bros.

And on top of that, at least two of the greatest single player experiences ever in Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time. Hell, I've even been in conversations where casual/non-gamers talk about their memories of Pokemon Snap.

I can't say for sure if there will be an N64 Classic but the backbone of their argument is simply false.

Macka

Makes sense. There's no point in releasing a N64 Classic without GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Diddy Kong Racing and the Banjo games.

I'd be interested in a GBA Classic though.

Hubble

1. Super Mario 64
2. Mario Kart 64
5. Mario Tennis
6. Mario Golf
7. Mario Party
8. Pokemon Snap
9. Star Fox 64
10. Donkey Kong 64
11. Diddy Kong Racing
13. Paper Mario
14. Excitebike 64
15. 1080 Snowboarding
15. Wave Race 64
16. Yoshi's Story
17. Bomberman 64
20. Wrestlemania/Tony Hawk/Resident Evil 2/Ogre Battle/Harvest Moon/Turok/List goes on

Pilot Wings. Come on dude.

Zalman

I also feel that from visual standpoint most of it's games haven't aged well at all. The 2D sprite art of NES and SNES games is much nicer to look at than those 3D games on 64. This makes the purchace less appealing too.
I agree N64 games haven't aged nearly as well, but I still think people would eat it up. The nostalgia for the system is strong.

If it makes business sense, they will do it. And considering how successful the Classics line has been so far, I don't see why they would stop. Enthusiasts like us will probably be disappointed with the game selection, but it's still going to sell out.

N64 classic would be a dream come true but the fact that I won't be able to get one thanks to scalpers and Nintendo's incompetence depresses me to no end.

:(

ZeoVGM

Banned
1. Super Mario 64
2. Mario Kart 64
5. Mario Tennis
6. Mario Golf
7. Mario Party
8. Pokemon Snap
9. Star Fox 64
10. Donkey Kong 64
11. Diddy Kong Racing
13. Paper Mario
14. Excitebike 64
15. 1080 Snowboarding
15. Wave Race 64
16. Yoshi's Story
17. Bomberman 64

This is a great list, though I would make a few changes.

- Mario Party should probably be Mario Party 2 or 3. I feel as if those are looked at as the best in the series still and I don't think Nintendo would want to go back to the original due to the analog-spinning mini-games.

- I think Animal Crossing would be skipped completely, even in Japan. If an N64 Classic released in fall 2018, that is likely when they would also be releasing Animal Crossing for Switch. It's probably aged very poorly as well. Also, there's no chance they would translate that entire game for America at this point.

- I do think Mischief Makers is an absolute must. That's a game that deserves to be discovered again by another generation of players.

- But as far as the other third party games, the only one that really stands out to me is Turok. I don't think anyone needs Tony Hawk or Resident Evil on this as they don't really scream, "This was N64!" Turok does though.

- I would really want Nintendo to speak with Microsoft about getting at least GoldenEye on there, perhaps the original Banjo-Kazooie as well. I feel as if they would actually be okay with making a deal like that these days.

RM8

It's actually one of my favourite libraries, as small as it is. I'd absolutely buy a N64 Mini, I wonder if they could get the rights for games like Fighters Destiny. Also the controller was just fine! It wasn't perfect but I never struggled with it like apparently everyone else did. Also why can't they improve the stick for a new controller? It doesn't have to use the same technology. It being a tiny SSB64 station is enough of a reason for it to exist IMO.

ggx2ac

- I would really want Nintendo to speak with Microsoft about getting at least GoldenEye on there, perhaps the original Banjo-Kazooie as well. I feel as if they would actually be okay with making a deal like that these days.

I'm very certain Nintendo owns the rights to Goldeneye (N64) since they blocked Microsoft from putting an HD version on the Xbox 360, this was long before the Goldeneye Remake happened.

Yes, and no.

While I don't see a N64 CE happening quite yet for variety reasons, something in my gut tells me I do not think SNES CE will be the last retro mini console from Nintendo. FTM, something tells me we have not seen the last from the NES era.

Madao

1. Super Mario 64
2. Mario Kart 64
5. Mario Tennis
6. Mario Golf
7. Mario Party
8. Pokemon Snap
9. Star Fox 64
10. Donkey Kong 64
11. Diddy Kong Racing
13. Paper Mario
14. Excitebike 64
15. 1080 Snowboarding
15. Wave Race 64
16. Yoshi's Story
17. Bomberman 64

list is automatically bad for not including F-Zero X.
N64 Mini is the perfect opportunity to release the complete F-Zero X version with 64DD content. i'd argue it's the best F-Zero package in existence despite not having the same graphics level as GX. the track editor alone makes it endlessly replayable Mario Maker-style.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If room on the list is a premium, feel free to leave Mario Kart 64 off. It's not aged at all well.

Game Boy Mini and Game Boy Color Mini both with Super Game Boy borders.
As someone who had a Super GameBoy as their first GameBoy, I'd love the SGB functionality to be included in a theoretical GameBoy Mini.

Anth0ny

If room on the list is a premium, feel free to leave Mario Kart 64 off. It's not aged at all well.

True. Should probably leave out Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time, too. People wouldn't be able to stomach the low frame rates and god awful textures.

ggx2ac

Regarding the controllers, it'd probably be a nightmare.

First off, Nintendo most likely ended up bundling two controllers with the SNES Classic Mini so they wouldn't have to deal with selling extra controllers like the NES Classic Mini since they underestimated demand with that.

Second, as mentioned, the N64 Controllers are pretty big, will they even have a functioning slot to allow you to use Memory Pak, Rumble Pak and Transfer Pak?

It'd be interesting if they just redesigned the controller to have no Dpad to make it smaller and pick games that don't use it or the L button, it would just be shaped like an SNES controller with a Z shoulder button and R shoulder button, lol.

But that wouldn't happen since it'd kill the nostalgia of the controller.

So if anything they'd have to increase the price of an N64 Mini to $100 minimum.

Except it released on that GameCube Zelda collection with Wind Waker and also released on the Zelda OoT remake for 3DS.

As mentioned, some N64 DD games could work like the one for F-Zero X.
Master Quest isn't proper Ura Zelda though. That game is more like a ROM hack of OoT, whereas Ura was supposed to have actual new dungeons on top of the remixed dungeons.

Keep in mind even if Nintendo got Rare games on a 64 Mini they probably wouldn't want it to be M-rated (carding minors for a console?). No Perfect Dark or Conker, or RE2 or Turok for that matter.

If an N64 Classic does not happen, it won't be because the demand isn't there. As anyone who frequents or works at a retro game store will tell you, N64 collecting is red hot right now. And has been for some time now.

ggx2ac

If an N64 Classic does not happen, it won't be because the demand isn't there. As anyone who frequents or works at a retro game store will tell you, N64 collecting is red hot right now. And has been for some time now.

But just in the US or has it at least been seen in Europe and Japan?

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
If the mini SNES sells well, why wouldn't they release one for holiday 2018? Sure Rare games may not make it, but as stated above, there are plenty of games that would sell a mini N64 at around $100.

However, I would be skeptical if they released OoT again. They released it on GameCube and remastered on 3DS. Then again, a lot of us would want it anyways.

Give me some N64DD games and I'm in!

Toparaman

Banned
Snes Classic comes with 2 controllers. If the N64 Classic came with 4 controllers, it would sell extremely well, even at $100 with 11 games (my guesstimate based on the price increase and game decrease from NES to SNES). It was the party console of the '90s for players of all ages.

Also, while Nintendo lost a large chunk of the teenage and older demo to Sony, the N64 was still more popular with kids than the PS1, at least in America. The only kids I knew with PS1s instead of N64s had older siblings. Everyone else had the N64. Some of them even brought their old-ass N64s to college, a decade after the N64's life.

And honestly, for all the talk of how the games haven't aged well, they're still largely playable and even enjoyable. I just played Majora's Mask N64 for the first time three years ago. Kinda ugly? Yeah, definitely. But still very solid and engaging, even surprising, from a game design standpoint. Hell, low-poly 3D is practically a hip aesthetic these days in the indie scene. If a game is designed well it'll always be worth playing if only for historical significance. Mario 64, Ocarina, and Golden Eye were all seminal, massively popular, massively influential games.

Will parents be buying N64 Classics for their kids, the way they did with the NES Classic? God, I'd hope not. That would be like getting the Atari 2600 Flashback for your kid. Ain't no way they're having fun with that. But you better believe that millennials love the ever-living fuck out of the N64, arguably even more than the PS1.

Herne

The solution to the analogue stick problem is to use the GameCube's one instead. That's not a huge problem to deal with. Or, alternatively, nothing would be lost if you just use a standard gamepad shape like the Wii U Pro.

Chinbo37

The solution to the analogue stick problem is to use the GameCube's one instead. That's not a huge problem to deal with. Or, alternatively, nothing would be lost if you just use a standard gamepad shape like the Wii U Pro.

For you and me probably not. But for the "average" consumer which these things target I think having the original controller or a smaller version would be the best option. Adds to the nostalgia.

deleted

That list of reasons sounds not like it's well sound out. Or at least a little small minded.

I can't think of enough games outside of Rare. I don't like the controller. Games were re-released.

The N64 is a multiplayer powerhouse and has strong nostalgia going for it. The controller ist excentric but no reason why it wouldn't work great for a N64 classic mini - I for one never had a problem with it and know no people personally that did. Not saying there were none, but not everyone disliked it. NES and SNES games get re-released all the time. No reason to not buy the SNES classic mini.

To the games list - Don't forget 3rd party games like:
Castlevania (NES and SNES classic mini had them)
Bomberman 64 (only recently got it's first re-release on the Wii U)
Rayman 2 (no new re-release since the DS)
International Superstar Soccer 2000
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Star Wars Episode 1 Racer
Glover
San Francisco Rush / Cruisin' World
Snowboard Kids 2
Mystical Ninja starring Goemon
Ogre Battle 64
and maybe - Quake?

Herne

For you and me probably not. But for the "average" consumer which these things target I think having the original controller or a smaller version would be the best option. Adds to the nostalgia.

I guess... in which case they just use the GameCube stick, then. It's the same size and shape too, which is a bonus. It likely happened to someone but I and several friends owned GameCubes and none of us ever experienced a worn out analogue stick, unlike on the N64 where it was a serious problem.

D.Lo

Gamecube tech, N64 stick design/shape, and it's all good.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I disagree with almost every point there, the N64 is my favourite console ever, it's the one I have been waiting on since Nintendo announced the first one last year.

I wouldn't even care if it were just Nintendo first party games, there's more than enough of those to justify it IMO. A newer, tighter version of the controller would be ideal for me, I used to love that thing.

Alastor3

I agree, I don't see N64 Classic really being a thing. It was a great console, and I loved the shit out of mine, but I just don't see it.

Now, Sony making a mini Playstation that had like 50 classic PS1 games on it with two original controllers packed in? Maybe even working memory card slots so if you still had old cards/saves you could shove em into a slot and pick up where you left off 20+ years ago or whatever? THAT I would see flying off shelves.

But the N64 was just an ungainly thing that it's hard to have the sort of clean, universal nostalgia for along those lines.

You're dreaming

1. Super Mario 64
2. Mario Kart 64
5. Mario Tennis
6. Mario Golf
7. Mario Party
8. Pokemon Snap
9. Star Fox 64
10. Donkey Kong 64
11. Diddy Kong Racing
13. Paper Mario
14. Excitebike 64
15. 1080 Snowboarding
15. Wave Race 64
16. Yoshi's Story
17. Bomberman 64

See, I'd buy the hell out of this.

-shadow-

Man an official re-release of the N64 release of Resident Evil 2 would be amazing! Replace the compressed FMV's with higher quality ones and I'd pick it up for just that already!

Top Bottom