• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic: There are 20+ Japanese Unreal Engine 4 games for Switch in development

shingi70

Banned
This Epic announce,went seems so contradictory with all the radio silence surrounding new switch announcements that I am starting to think that Nintendo is using the engine with some new games :D

Devs and pubs aren't going to change their roll out because epic. Think of how many games are being developed with unreal in general right now that we don't know of yet.

LordRaptor

Devs and pubs aren't going to change their roll out because epic. Think of how many games are being developed with unreal in general right now that we don't know of yet.

Choosing an engine is like, step 1 of actually starting to make a game, so yeah, I'd imagine its somewhat likely a number of these titles are nowhere close to any sort of announcement (and also likely a number will never even get released for whatever reason)

Tripy73

Or this radio silence are just NDA surrounding switch, with what Harada has said with strict policy about games Namco bandai can talk and third party games that were announced only during the last direct, this will not surprise me if some of these UE4 games will be announced in the E3 nintendo direct.

Choosing an engine is like, step 1 of actually starting to make a game, so yeah, I'd imagine its somewhat likely a number of these titles are nowhere close to any sort of announcement (and also likely a number will never even get released for whatever reason)

Or they're under NDA? Why do people in here think Epic's statement has anything to do with dev's timelines? We get absolutely no info on the progress of the games from this statement so I'm not sure why people are trying to extrapolate that info from it

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I just wonder how may Japanese games will be announced at e3 and how many will be announced at tgs

BDGAME

Found another title that use UE4: AeternoBlade II

AeternoBlade-II_2017_05-08-17_001.jpg

AeternoBlade-II_2017_05-08-17_002.jpg

AeternoBlade-II_2017_05-08-17_004.jpg

Dash_

I'm going to take it Epic provide great Japanese support for UE4 in terms of documentation/engine translation?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I wonder if it is safe to assume that half of those 20 games are nintendo second party games, with the other being mostly individual and SMT HD the only actually third party game after the horrible showcase of third party support switch had at e3

jackal27

Banned
Good to hear! I think that creating their own engines is where a lot of Japanese developers went wrong last generation. It created really long dev cycles and not many games.

I wonder if it is safe to assume that half of those 20 games are nintendo second party games, with the other being mostly individual and SMT HD the only actually third party game after the horrible showcase of third party support switch had at e3

nintendo has the capacity to develop 20+ UE4games aside of the games we already know are not running on UE4? tell me more.

Rmagnus

Banned

Er.. how many development teams so you think Nintendo has?

E-phonk

Banned

The whole of E3 didn't even have that many new Japanese announcements, so this doesn't make sense. Dragon Ball Fighter Z, Evil Within and Monster Hunter World are the only JPN games revealed this E3 afaik? Admittedly, Switch should've had 2 of them.

I'll play the good old "wait till TGS" if we're talking about JPN games.

squall23

Are you sure you're not just asking for El Capitan Todd in UE4?

Are you telling me Nintendo has enough dudes to be overseeing 10 other projects at once in addition to the games they're making on their proprietary engines? That's impressive of them. You know, is that's the case.

Which it isn't.

Are you telling me Nintendo has enough dudes to be overseeing 10 other projects at once in addition to the games they're making on their proprietary engines? That's impressive of them. You know, is that's the case.

Which it isn't.

would be nintendo fanboys wetdream...

looks at avatar of aostia...

yeah..

The whole of E3 didn't even have that many new Japanese announcements, so this doesn't make sense. Dragon Ball Fighter Z, Evil Within and Monster Hunter World are the only JPN games revealed this E3 afaik? Admittedly, Switch should've had 2 of them.

I'll play the good old "wait till TGS" if we're talking about JPN games.

Yeah as disappointing as the lack of E3 3rd party Switch announcements were, E3 doesn't really have a strong Japanese game focus. That's where I'd expect the support to come from earlier on. Like they aren't going to announce Tales Switch at E3. Disappointed in no Code Vein switch though (yet)

Will you ever stop the whole "sky is falling" routine? I can't tell if this is one giant performance act or not.

MoonFrog

Also don't think Prime 4 announced enters the archives. Great moment, but not much content to discuss (so far). Of course, poster could've thought it'd get shown more. A more substantial MP4 reveal would've made a fan dream comes true thread with lots of discussion. That could've been a "thread for the archives."

Wonder what this game was supposed to be/if it ended up real.

Extreme salt/console wars, fan dream fulfillment, epic surprises, ridiculous misfires...those are the sorts of things to drive fan craze/crazy threads.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Will you ever stop the whole "sky is falling" routine? I can't tell if this is one giant performance act or not.

I exxagerated.
We could shift to Nintendo published games down to 6/7 and indie ones up to a dozen.
I can see project such Yoshi to Good Feel to be paired by other similar games from Nintendo, such as a possible new Next Level Games project, a Retro project, a Azrest project and possibly the new Fire Emblem developed by IntSys and so on.

Can someone actually counter my pessimism with facts in terms of third parties?
I don't think so.

October reveal
January announcement
Spring Direct
E3

Third party games announced (from Japanese third parties, of course, due to the topic we are in, but also due to the fact that I'm not expecting western ones at all) I think 3? Night of Azure 2, Fate/Extella and MHXX (with all its shifting platform drama, of course)

counting...and now we start playing the "TGS" game.

E-phonk

Banned
I can see project such Yoshi to Good Feel to be paired by other similar games from Nintendo, such as a possible new Next Level Games project, a Retro project, a Azrest project and possibly the new Fire Emblem developed by IntSys and so on.
NLG: Canada, not in japan
Retro: not in japan
Azrest: they are finalising Hey Pikmin, so unlikely. They'd be a possible UE4 user in the future though.
Fire Emblem: not the kind of game that would use UE4 I'd say. I see some speculated FE switch using it, but I doubt that. Still possible though.

Games takes years to develop. If Epic says 20 japanese UE4 games are in development, and we know only about 4/5 of them, that means 15 more are still to be announced.

What do we have now?
Yoshi
DQXI
Bloodstained
Shin Megami Tensei
Haven't checked if this thread has a list somewhere.

I mean we are seeing stuff like Fifa getting effort put into them, Skyrim's gonna sell gangbusters. Ubisoft's developing an exclusive game (when was the last time any major third party put out an exclusive), Rocket League, Monster Hunter, SMT, Switch is getting third parties on board and it's only going pick up as the Switch continues to sell. I suspect it's slow at first because almost every one expected another Wii U.

Top Bottom