• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Equifax Data Breach could affect 143 million customers

Ultryx

Does a credit freeze prevent you from getting a credit increase? I was planning on asking Discover for a credit raise and was wondering if I should do that tomorrow and then freeze my credit or does it not matter?

Not sure. I know it doesn't affect prevent your score from increasing or decreasing.

Froze Equifax, Experian and Transunion.

Is there any benefit to freezing ChexSystems? Would I be vulnerable if I didn't any my data was leaked?

Ultryx

Froze Equifax, Experian and Transunion.

Is there any benefit to freezing ChexSystems? Would I be vulnerable if I didn't any my data was leaked?

I did it just to be safe. There was no cost associated. I believe they are the "credit bureau" of the banking world. If you go in the negative in checking accounts (etc.) and don't pay them back, you'll get flagged. If you try to open an account at another bank, they always check your information in ChexSystems. It's like a mini credit report for banks.

I did it just to be safe. There was no cost associated. I believe they are the "credit bureau" of the banking world. If you go in the negative in checking accounts (etc.) and don't pay them back, you'll get flagged. If you try to open an account at another bank, they always check your information in ChexSystems. It's like a mini credit report for banks.

Ok, thanks. Went ahead and froze that too.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Does a credit freeze prevent you from getting a credit increase? I was planning on asking Discover for a credit raise and was wondering if I should do that tomorrow and then freeze my credit or does it not matter?

More than likely.
Most credit limit increases rely on a quick pull of your credit report, but a few don't.

I'd wait, and freeze later.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Experian says they can't accomodate my request right now to put a fraud alert on my credit...

Had this same problem when trying to verify my identity last year for my free credit report; I guess when I bought my car earlier this decade, a loan with a balance of 0 was opened in my name by the dealership, so I legitimately can't answer the question of who I got a loan from :/.

Had to go through all 3 credit agencies multiple times before I got a set of questions whose responses were deemed satisfactory.

(Credit score was like 826 last I checked)

RedAssedApe

Banned
so i still get like monthly e-mails from AllClear ID Fraud Detection from the Sony/PSN breach from awhile back.

would that have any use here?

Just have to rant...

So earlier today I got a suspicious call from some dude with an accent and a fucking rooster crowing in the background asking me to verify information about some distinct things from my credit history.

Needless to say I told him to fuck off and hung up in the elevator (yes, my phone managed to work in the elevator). After a quick exchange with another person in the 'vator, he suggested I freeze my credit immediately.

Experian freezes no problem.
Transunion freezes no problem.

Fucking Equifuckface can't process my freeze request and tells me I have to mail it in with a check for the freeze charge (my state requires a fee).

They also don't allow customer service calls if you don't have an account with them.

Accounts cost $20 a month.

I have never want to punch someone in the face more. Does anyone with an account with them have the behind-the-paywall customer service number? Considering someone already is trying to get into my information, I don't want to wait for this to go through the mail system.

Edit: I can't scream "Shit-tier company" out into the universe enough right now.

Edit2: found over-the-phone freeze service (1-800-349-9960). Gonna try that.

Edit3: Phone system did it. They have to mail my pin and I didn't get to choose it like I did the others, which sucks. Still want to punch somebody. I'm trying to buy a house.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Surprised how little activity this thread is getting right now considering a shit ton of people are probably affected by this.

mindatlarge

Surprised how little activity this thread is getting right now considering a shit ton of people are probably affected by this.
Supposedly, letters will be sent out to those affected. I don't trust the little website they made to check right now, so I'm just kinda waiting on that and not flipping out yet.

Considering how many American adults may be affected, I guess it also makes me relax a bit more, like something may be done on a government level to help fix this mess since it's so widespread. New social security numbers is probably asking too much though.

Ultryx

Here is some information for those browsing the thread and asking questions.

Use this link to determine if your personal identity or information may be compromised.

Use this website to get to the three credit bureau's websites. You can reach them via snail mail, online, or over the phone. I would recommend online.

I froze all three of mine and even my ChexSystems account. Better to be safe than sorry. In California it costs $10 per freeze, for the three bureaus.

Edit: Just to explain for those who don't understand. Even if you have checked your credit score and all looks normal, but you're part of the "may be compromised" club, your information can still be floating out there, waiting to be used. This does not mean you will see an immediate negative effect.

People are still asking so here it is again.

Credit freezes don't prevent me from using my cards or anything? Seriously considering freezing it to be safe.

No, they don't prevent use of cards or even prevent your credit score fluctuating. They simply block anyone from pulling your credit reports, which prevents accounts from being opened. You can temporarily thaw your account for wanted credit pulls or remove the freeze altogether whenever you want, but it may come with a fee depending on what state you live in.

If you have a Credit Karma account, it also won't affect CK unless you try to register after you freeze your credit.

sojour

Seems I'm affected. Froze my credit at all 3. Here's hoping for the best.

Equifax didn't even have the security questions like the other two. It didn't ask me to make a PIN number either, rather it gave me one at the end. Compared to the other two, Equifax is lacking. Is that normal?

wuth

Froze my credit at all 3. Here's hoping for the best.

Equifax didn't even have the security questions like the other two. It didn't ask me to make a PIN number either, rather it gave me one at the end. Compared to the other two, Equifax is lacking. Is that normal?

Their site seems to be having issues. I tried to register and went through the whole process without noticing I had actually asked for a freeze on an account they couldn't find. I went back to check after realizing I should have had to pay, put my actual info in, and then got an error.

I think the best course of action is to call in and freeze.

sojour

The Equifax thing told me to come back on 9/14 to sign up. What does that even mean? Am I screwed?

I think it's enrollment into their monitoring program. You come back on the 14th to actually finish signing up for the program.

Since you got the 'enroll' button, it means you account might be compromised.
There's a post above about what you can do to protect yourself: freezing your credit. For now, be vigilant about any activity.

Samiad

I think it's enrollment into their monitoring program. You come back on the 14th to actually finish signing up for the program.

Since you got the 'enroll' button, it means you account might be compromised.
There's a post above about what you can do to protect yourself: freezing your credit. For now, be vigilant about any activity.

I had a date of the 12th, but today I tried again and it told me that I may be affected. I guess you needn't wait until 14th to check again.

Phreaker

My stuff has been leaked in a few breaches, supposedly in this one too if that tool is working. I signed up for CreditKarma and keep an eye on it. They may also email if your credit report changes and it's free.

StillEdge

How does thawing accounts work and what would I need to do. I'm in that iPhone forever program at Apple and they do a credit check every year to open up their new loan.

Shifty1897

I'm suing this garbage tier company into the ground and then pissing on its smoldering remains. There will only be 2 credit bureaus after all this.

hollomat

Banned
Just got an email saying someone ordered $700 of furniture in Australia using my name. Fuck this company. I hope they get sued into bankruptcy. Especially the 3 executives who sold stock in the past few days.

Top Bottom