• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Lego City could blow the franchise wide open/save the WiiU [Dont port beg]

illadelph

As a kid, I loved playing Lego Island and just immersing myself in the world, running around doing random shit. This is like the spiritual successor to that (at least in my life it is)

Can't wait to play this game

CoolS

It's still quite early but since I had nothing better to do today I worked a bit on the OT and realized that I would need some help with banners and images. So if anyone wants to help on that, please shoot me a PM.

Oh and we need a title for the OT.

It's still quite early but since I had nothing better to do today I worked a bit on the OT and realized that I would need some help with banners and images. So if anyone wants to help on that, please shoot me a PM.

Oh and we need a title for the OT.

"The best way to brick your console"

i wonder if it would make people think that the thing actually breaks wiiUs....

LEGO games keep making strides, especially since LEGO Batman 2 (which this looks like it took every queue from).

But without co-op, they have lost the point of the series IMO. That's why they sell once they hit the $20 they always drop to. But maybe with no competition on the WiiU they will reap the benefits of being out there for a game starved audience.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Lego City Undercover |OT| Glitter-Bombed by Clown-Criminals

Bigjelly

Banned
Quickly scanned through this thread and didn't see this, but there is a new YouTube video up that shows actually off screen HD footage of the games opening stages and some of the open world features.

Game looks crazy good and fun. I can image my kids driving around for hours causing mayhem!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uYTA1T7nUM8#!

Video confirms two things.

#1. You can run over PEOPLE! (however they don't die! they pop back up)
#2. As you wreck your vehicle parts of the Lego's will fall off until it's to damaged. You can drive with half the car missing.

CoolS

Video confirms two things.

#1. You can run over PEOPLE! (however they don't die! they pop back up)
#2. As you wreck your vehicle parts of the Lego's will fall off until it's to damaged. You can drive with half the car missing.
Weren't those in Batman 2? Maybe not the Bat-vehicles but if you got in a regular car I could swear that bits would break off.

Also, were previous Lego games on consoles not 60fps?

Ridley327

Weren't those in Batman 2? Maybe not the Bat-vehicles but if you got in a regular car I could swear that bits would break off.

Also, were previous Lego games on consoles not 60fps?

They stopped being 60 fps with Clone Wars; they've been 30 fps ever since, barring the massive drops that occur in co-op.

If Nintendo is successful in marketing this to the younger audience, I can see this game being very successful.

I just don't see that happening given their recent track record, however.

All I know is that I'm stoked for it.

They stopped being 60 fps with Clone Wars; they've been 30 fps ever since, barring the massive drops that occur in co-op.

Huh, I always assumed they'd stayed at 60 since the last one I played on consoles was a SW game and PC Batman 2 is 60 and doesn't seem too demanding.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
That Gameplay video looks good. Never really got into the Lego games but this looks like it could be really fun. Don't know if I'll be there day one mind.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
If Nintendo is successful in marketing this to the younger audience, I can see this game being very successful.

I just don't see that happening given their recent track record, however.

All I know is that I'm stoked for it.

And that's the sad truth. I feel like Nintendo has no idea how to market its products to anyone at all at this point. They are just taking shorts in the dark.

Their most successful recent commercial (Luigi's Mansion) feels like it came straight out of the 90s.

I'll be getting the 3DS version.

I was very happy when I found out that it appears to be open world just like the Wii U version. With any luck this might be a turning point where the handheld LEGO games don't have to be shitty ports of the DS version.

I plan to pick it up because it'll be the first 3DS game that isn't a DS port, but so far it doesn't exactly look amazing. I'm hoping that's because the game just hasn't been the priority with the Wii U version coming out. Hoping that the footage shown was a little old and that most of the optimization and polishing is happening right now. We'll see I guess.

Wish the Wii U version had AA.

FLAguy954

"The best way to brick your console"

i wonder if it would make people think that the thing actually breaks wiiUs....

This one is really clever, 10/10.

I plan to pick it up because it'll be the first 3DS game that isn't a DS port, but so far it doesn't exactly look amazing. I'm hoping that's because the game just hasn't been the priority with the Wii U version coming out. Hoping that the footage shown was a little old and that most of the optimization and polishing is happening right now. We'll see I guess.

Wish the Wii U version had AA.

Yeah, that N64 fog isn't looking too hot lol.

Based on this thread I almost think it should be
Lego City Undercover |OT| This City Has No Ports

Lego City Undercover |OT| Blocks. U's Game.

This and ZombieU are really making me want a WiiU but I also need to get a 3ds Xl before Animal Crossing comes out. I don't see myself getting both. Hmm.

JDSN

Banned
Shacknews preview:
"Unfortunately, Lego City: Undercover doesn't feel as if it'll be quite as entertaining for adults; which is a shame, since many of the previous Lego games lived and died by their individual charm. Easy as it was for TT Games to lean on established franchises, there was a certain appeal to seeing Luke Skywalker and Harry Potter mime their way through their respective adventures. It gave the grown-ups something to laugh at in-between watching their five-year-old co-op partner fall continuously into pits or run into things with Lego tractors."

"As expected, Lego City also makes good use of the Wii U controller, which functions as a tablet PC of sorts within the game world. Apart from the usual map functionality, it can receive communications from the home office, and a separate gameplay mode utilizing the gyroscope is used to spot suspects. The latter mode brings with it all sorts of horrifying implications. How can the scope separate a suspect from a regular civilian? Is the technology of Lego City akin to that of Minority Report, where it's clear who is a criminal even before they commit a crime? The only thing missing from Chase's Orwellian repertoire is the ability to call in drone strikes."

More of a (weird) look a the tone of the game than a gameplay preview.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
It looks more polished every time I see it so I'm pretty confident it's going to be at least good, if not great. Not long until it comes out now!

Yagharek

This and ZombieU are really making me want a WiiU but I also need to get a 3ds Xl before Animal Crossing comes out. I don't see myself getting both. Hmm.

DO IT DO IT DO IT

(Serious answer: wait til there are a few must have games, then jump in all at once. Zombi U, MH Tri, Lego, Pikmin, W101, ...)

Shacknews preview:

More of a look a the tone of the game than a gameplay preview.

I'd think the tone of the game was easy to gauge from the preview trailers so far. I can understand it won't be to everyone's liking, but the shacknews people shouldn't consider they are writing for all adults here. I, along with a number of other people in this thread have expressed more interest in the tone of this than more gritty, crime based games of the genre.

I'm more of a Crackdown fan than GTA fan myself, and whilst I understand the appeal of GTA, it doesn't appeal as much as a more absurd sense of humour does these days. To each their own.

Coolwhip

Banned
I didn't see much fun to be honest

bouncyfun94u4z.gif

I'm pretty burnt out on lego games but my daughter is just starting to play them and this looks ideal. Don't have a wiiu but it is certainly looking like I might get one for her soon.

I'm more of a Crackdown fan than GTA fan myself, and whilst I understand the appeal of GTA, it doesn't appeal as much as a more absurd sense of humour does these days. To each their own.

I agree with this.
I really enjoyed Saints Row 3 much more than GTA4, because Saints Row 3 still had a sense of fun and whimsy that the GTA series seems to have lost.

A dry humour version of it - More Police Squad than American Pie - which this is looking to be is something I think I will enjoy playing.

Also;
It's also an incredibly funny game, with Graham's previous career as a stand-up comedian put to good use in a script that finds a gag in every scenario. Not for nothing has the game attracted vocal turns from cult funny men like Adam Buxton and Peter Serafinowicz

hell yea.

JDSN

Banned
I'd think the tone of the game was easy to gauge from the preview trailers so far. I can understand it won't be to everyone's liking, but the shacknews people shouldn't consider they are writing for all adults here. I, along with a number of other people in this thread have expressed more interest in the tone of this than more gritty, crime based games of the genre.

Thank you, its a weird fucking look and everything said can be applied to some level at the other sandbox games, you cant go into Saint's Rows 3 expecting a deep look at gang culture and drug enforcemennt policies co-written by David Simmons. It so weird to use this as a soap box and singling it out when some games like San Andreas and Just Cause 2 share arguably less realistic despictions of the law enforment and morality.

deviljho

Thank you, its a weird fucking look and everything said can be applied to some level at the other sandbox games, you cant go into Saint's Rows 3 expecting a deep look at gang culture and drug enforcemennt policies co-written by David Simmons. It so weird to use this as a soap box and singling it out when some games like San Andreas and Just Cause 2 share arguably less realistic despictions of the law enforment and morality.

lancereddick-1.jpg

Top Bottom