• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I bet they will make it. Not at launch but later as ways to upgrade mid life cycle instead of having to buy a new iteration.

I'll take that bet. Nintendo would go the 'upgradable dock' station route' far before they explore they even consider using the Cloud to render games, when that's something that they can't depend on anyway, thus requiring the game to fallback on local rendering (unless the game's online only, and we know how many of those Nintendo makes...)

mandiller

What if...Nintendo sells the handheld NX with its Tegra X1 chip as a standalone handheld to keep the price down. But if you want you can buy the optional base station (and wireless controllers), with the base station also having its own X1 chip in it. Both the handheld and the base station will play the exact same games, but if you dock the handheld into the base station you double the visuals or performance of your games as it will use two X1 chips.

People could buy the base station standalone console, or the handheld, or both.

Nintendo does have this patent:

DOVYw04.jpg

Cuburt

The more I think of it, the less I believe it, more specifically the detachable controllers and the dock.

What is the point of a dock and detachable controllers?

If you have to put it in a dock to use it on the TV, you seemingly wouldn't be able to use a lot of the features you would have in games in it's normal configuration. That means some games might not be compatible when hooked to the TV, especially if if they are supposed to work as separate controllers(?).

It's why a hybrid and most speculation about one have never sound like a solution that anyone, not even Nintendo, would try to do.

Combining portable s and consoles in some way have seemed likely for a while now, but this is not the solution.

Pandy

Not reading an OP is a bannable offense:
Not reading the conversation you were responding to should be a bannable offence too.

Neoxon said:
Eurogamer mentioned a base dock for the NX, so there is the possibility that the power may get buffed by said dock.

We were discussing the speculation in this thread that the power may be buffed for superior graphics on the TV, not that it would simply display on the TV.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Why are you laughing? #5 will likely happen with everyone in the next couple of decades as cloud gaming becomes more and more viable.
I could see Nintendo eventually doing a game streaming app, like Netflix (or more like PlayStation Now).

But an actual Nintendo application downloading games on a PC? That's the day hell freezes over.

I like the concept

- I don't need another home console , especially one that is underpowered
- I have not had a Nintendo handhold for years so I'm excited about combining all there powerhouse devs under one banner
- no backwards compatability hurts me the most as I have no intention of buying a wiiu and would love to try all its amazing games (hopefully a vc is coming)
- I like then idea of playing in the couch when tv is being used , don't think I would use t outside the home but at least it's an option
- the return of local multiplayer yay
- I miss the carriage days , especially the quick load times

My only worries will be battery life , comfort factor and of course price

MuchoMalo

Banned
If it's 16/14nm it's got to be Pascal or a custom chip that would be expensive anyway. Devkit is said to have a Tegra X1 with a fan and heatsink so that would be too power hungry. It's got to be Pascal Tegra. What kind of battery life would a Tegra X1 handheld have?

The funny thing is that the Pascal Tegra supports connections to a GPU via PCIe, so they could have avoided all issues and made everyone happy by having a $200 handheld and a $150-200 dock with a discrete GPU like a GTX 1050. It could have been a $350-200 package with power comparable to Neo.

Z3M0G

3DS was DOA at its original price point, forcing them to drop the price in only a few months.

How much is this thing gonna cost? They need to pitch it as a console that you can take on the go.

MilesTeg

Banned
What if the base station is just some tiny box that is connected via HDMI to your TV, which receives a wireless signal from the handheld a la Wii U to Gamepad? Truly a reverse Wii U. Will be a seamless transition to home console mode.

They will sell blu tooth official controllers for home console mode. Which connect to the handheld, not the base station. The device pictured looks to be tablet size so technically you wont need a TV for local co-op. Most likely controller comes included in box.

The base station is literally just a dumb terminal that will add negligible cost to overall package.

The funny thing is that the Pascal Tegra supports connections to a GPU via PCIe, so they could have avoided all issues and made everyone happy by having a $200 handheld and a $150-200 dock with a discrete GPU like a GTX 1050. It could have been a $350-200 package with power comparable to Neo.
They might do exactly this. Bear in mind they've announced nothing yet.

I love how you say this all in the past tense

slapnuts

Gosh this just spoiled my Fn summer. I really was hoping for Nintendo coming out with a bad ass powerful console...such a huge let down. I kept thinking about those Unreal Engine 4 user created Mario and Zelda examples that had me excited for what NX could finally bring..which is cuting edge visuals for all of Nintendo's titles..

emag

What if...you dock the handheld into the base station you double the visuals or performance of your games as it will use two X1 chips

You can't just duplicate the chips to double the performance. That's not how parallelism works.

Chances of the dock having any meaningful processing power are nil.

Pandy

Why does there have to be a spec boost to be a hybrid? That may be something you want personally, but by definition a portable that also docks and acts as a home console with detachable controllers IS a hybrid.

The detachable controllers aren't a function of it being a home console, as described it does that as a portable. It's not going to play different games, and if it's in a docking station then presumably it isn't going to gain any dual-screen functionality.

Nobody refers to their mobile phone as a 'hybrid' device just because it has an HDMI-out.

Of course, this docking station could have a whole host of amazing features, but Eurogamer haven't mentioned that.

MuchoMalo

Banned
They might do exactly this. Bear in mind they've announced nothing yet.

I love how you say this all in the past tense

Well, the decisions were made in the past. If that were the plan, they'd have told devs. Henstly, I think that them even using Pascal is a pipedream. It's most likely a customized X1 with eSRAM added to improve bandwidth.

Gosh this just spoiled my Fn summer. I really was hoping for Nintendo coming out with a bad ass powerful console...such a huge let down. I kept thinking about those Unreal Engine 4 user created Mario and Zelda examples that had me excited for what NX could finally bring..which is cuting edge visuals for all of Nintendo's titles..

Well, this can still run UE4 :p

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
True semantically. But doesn't make sense really unless this is just a portable and they're either totally getting out of the console space or have a later console (and/or PC ecosystem) in the works.

Otherwise, without a boost it will not be much of a jump over Wii U probably (not getting even X1 level performance out of a portable at a reasonable price or battery life). And that won't fly with big screen gamers in the west who don't care about portables and won't upgrade to something that's a marginal step up from Wii U.

So if this is it for them they really need to hit at least X1 level performance when hooked up to a TV if they want any success from that market. And they must or they wouldn't bother with a dock at all and would just focus on the portable marker entirely.

The sheer nature it would be off battery power and onto the mains would mean it'd get a little power-boost. Much like the ol PSP hardware did it (the OG hybrid!)

The detachable controllers aren't a function of it being a home console, as described it does that as a portable. It's not going to play different games, and if it's in a docking station then presumably it isn't going to gain any dual-screen functionality.

Nobody refers to their mobile phone as a 'hybrid' device just because it has an HDMI-out.

Of course, this docking station could have a whole host of amazing features, but Eurogamer haven't mentioned that.

I've seen using Phone/Tablet to TV capabilities described as being hybrid, same with tablets like the Surface put into keyboard docks, and so on. I dunno what the semantic shit is all about unless some people put chips down heavily on "NOT A HYBRID", but, the jig is up.

Taigerr

Initial reaction was yay cos my main is 3ds.
Now I'm thinking ok..... Has anything relating to this report by EG been varified by a dev with kit or Nintendo? What's the sauce please?

AmyS

What if...Nintendo sells the handheld NX with its Tegra X1 chip as a standalone handheld to keep the price down. But if you want you can buy the optional base station (and wireless controllers), with the base station also having its own X1 chip in it. Both the handheld and the base station will play the exact same games, but if you dock the handheld into the base station you double the visuals or performance of your games as it will use two X1 chips.

DOVYw04.jpg

That is the minimum the SCD could be.

The patent states SCD could have 1 or more processors and multiple SCDs can be physically connected to the console. Multiple consoles, multiple SCDs, enhancing the visuals and other aspects of the game.
Also, the SCD is meant to provide additional storage capacity for games to be run.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

What planet did you arrive from?

Wishing for Nintendo to chase power is like wishing for Pixar movies to have sex and violence. You fundamentally misunderstand the brand.

nbraun80

lol how can you be thinking that when they've said at almost every turn that they aren't concerned with lots of graphical power and the race between the other two consoles?

What if the base station is just some tiny box that is connected via HDMI to your TV, which receives a wireless signal from the handheld a la Wii U to Gamepad? Truly a reverse Wii U. Will be a seamless transition to home console mode.

They will sell blu tooth official controllers for home console mode. Which connect to the handheld, not the base station. The device pictured looks to be tablet size so technically you wont need a TV for local co-op. Most likely controller comes included in box.

The base station is literally just a dumb terminal that will add negligible cost to overall package.

I don't think Eurogamer are saying it's any more than that, but there could be different versions down the line, e.g. one with a large HDD in it for holding all your downloaded games (if they're approaching 32 gb per game it could be pretty helpful).

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
That is the minimum the SCD could be.

The patent states SCD could have 1 or more processors and multiple SCDs can be physically connected to the console.

I've been considering what if the SCD attaches itself innocuously to the dock. Like 360 hard drive of sort. That's essentially the upgradable - scalable iteration feature.

psyfi

Banned
Let's stick with my concept of playing a co-op, 2D Mario.

With a wiimote, you essentially have a NES controller when you turn it sideways. No problem. With this, let's say you get the right detachable controller. Turn it sideways, and you have one analog stick and four buttons. An analog stick isn't my preferred way to play 2D Mario, but it works.

But what if you get the left detachable controller? You have an analog stick and a D-pad. How are you going to play Mario with that?

The detachables in the Eurogamer mock up seem ill suited to any type of game that isn't pure waggle, and that's way I hope either A.) the drawing is purely conceptual, or B.) they utilize the swappable controller parts patent for this.
The d-pad is essentially four buttons and can function the same as A/B/X/Y. I'm not a fan of playing 2D games with a stick either, but I can deal with that.

I mentioned this earlier, but it got buried in all of the gut reactions. Anyway, if this NX rumor proves true, I fear for what it may entail for competitive Smash, especially if I can't plug in a GameCube Adapter to the TV dock (or at least some kind of wired controller). This would suck even more if the port of Smash 4 ends up having more content that would impact competitive play.
If there is no wired option, that is a big problem but I think it will at least support the GCN adapter. I'm not sure how extra content will cause problems though.

brett2

I think this roughly makes the most sense. You can't charge people a lot for a decently powerful standalone portable and then a lot again for a device to connect to the TV. I would expect the portable to be roughly like the 3DS and be anywhere from $200-250. The TV box will be $50-100 and then you can buy them together for maybe $300-350. The TV box is basically just an HDMI connector, controller connector / charger and handles communication between the portables. That's it.

ThisGuy

The rumors seem to suggest that the two controllers still can work together, and only would be used separately for simple multiplayer--like a 2D platformer with the wiimote sideway etc. Otherwise it seems the gist is that they hook together to make a normal controller with the screen removed, or potentially work more like a Wii nunchuck in each hand with stick and d-pad and triggers on left one and stick and face buttons and triggers on right one.
Ahh thats, that's something I would have to see before judging. But I could live with that.

Peléo

DOVYw04.jpg

I believe this is how it will work, except you won't be able to buy them separately.

Snakeyes

DOVYw04.jpg

That would be a decent compromise.

Proelite

The ping is still unlikely to be fast enough given Nintendo's emphases on real-time performance. . But even if it were, connections aren't reliable enough for that to be feasible for Nintendo.

There is literally no chance in hell Nintendo is even contemplating this. It only adds costs and complications for something that Nintendo doesn't even need given the types of games they usually make. They also can't bank on everyone having a fast enough connection--or even a connection at all.

A physical connection between the NX and the dock would allow for supplementing computing in a simple proven way.

The network SCD is probably years away.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
And suddenly I may just stick to Wii U and play Zelda that way...none of this news appeals to me at all.

psyfi

Banned
You know, I think I might finally be a one console person with this thing. NX + PC seems like a dream combo to me. I'm one of those weirdos who hates owning too many systems, though. Too much money and clutter.

Edit : lol, sorry for the irrelevant day dreaming at the top of the page

Now just realizing: since it looks like the NX will be a handheld with the feature of being a handheld, that would then mean that families would have to buy multiple NX's then.

My wife and I were just pondering about each of us wanting to play our own future Pokemon game. It's obvious Nintendo would want each player to have their own system with game rather than one game with multiple save files and having to share the device.

This really puts on its the head the idea of Nintendo making a "home console". In reality they are making a handheld first and a home console second. I am actually okay with this and think this could be an awesome idea.

TLZ

Banned
Initial reaction was yay cos my main is 3ds.
Now I'm thinking ok..... Has anything relating to this report by EG been varieties by a dev with kit or Nintendo? What's the sauce please?

No sources. Eurogamer just keep saying 'our sources'. Maybe sources giving old or false info or being played like fiddle.

GamerJM

Banned
You know, I think I might finally be a one console person with this thing. NX + PC seems like a dream combo to me. I'm one of those weirdos who hates owning too many systems, though. Too much money and clutter.

Edit : lol, sorry for the irrelevant day dreaming at the top of the page

I love owning tons of platforms, but even I think I'm gonna be mostly NX+PC for modern games by 2018 unless Sony or Microsoft give me good reasons to buy a Scorpio or a PS4 Neo. I've been pretty disatisfied with the PS4/X1 thus far, and I feel like both consoles just aren't really for me.

But I also want to get more into collecting for legacy platforms....so I think buying lots of PS2/Super Famicom stuff will scratch my "owning a lot of physical shit," itch.

Speely

Banned
I still find it potentially telling that Nintendo is both holding off on revealing anything and waiting for the SCD patent to be finalized. I think (out of my ass, of course) that the SCD component in all this, and perhaps some kind of streaming innovation/considerable refinement is involved in whatever the big secret is.

I don't think that a souped-up portable that can dock into a cheap piece of plastic that does very little is their big move. I really don't.

Now just realizing: since it looks like the NX will be a handheld with the feature of being a handheld, that would then mean that families would have to buy multiple NX's then.

My wife and I were just pondering about each of us wanting to play our own future Pokemon game. It's obvious Nintendo would want each player to have their own system with game rather than one game with multiple save files and having to share the device.

This really puts on its the head the idea of Nintendo making a "home console". In reality they are making a handheld first and a home console second. I am actually okay with this and think this could be an awesome idea.

This is another reason that the "home console" portion should be an add-on or bundle. Think of the children!

psyfi

Banned
I love owning tons of platforms, but even I think I'm gonna be mostly NX+PC for modern games by 2018 unless Sony or Microsoft give me good reasons to buy a Scorpio or a PS4 Neo. I've been pretty disatisfied with the PS4/X1 thus far, and I feel like both consoles just aren't really for me.
I have an Xbox One pretty much just for Halo, and with all signs pointing to Halo 6 being on PC, it looks like I might be able to sell it off and never look back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom