• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxcriden

I'm sorry, why is the control detachable again, ?

I'm guessing so that there can be a variety of controller types. Other than that, not sure.

Write it in stone.

1. So that people can take the tablet on the go, if they want.
2. Instant, anywhere two player multiplayer.
3. Motion controls.
4. They could potentially be combined to make a more traditional controller. Perhaps with some sort of shell in the middle.

I just hope there's a middle section that the conroller sections reattached to when the body is docked. I don't want to have to play with half a controller or two pieces of a controller.

I hope this mechanism is worth it. Seems like it would be easier to just have a separate controller for TV mode .

For local multiplayer on the go. I personally don't like it as it will add bulk and limit the controller. It is such a limited application I don't think the positives are worth the drawbacks personally. Most multiplayer is going to be on the big TV at home so people can get out the a NX pro controller. The controller and lack of a TV only version are just baffling IMO.

I actually prefer two untethered controllers. It allows for better motion controls and pointer functionality than a single traditional controller.

It also future proofs any upgrades for VR.

Right, as brainchild said in this post and another one, the two detachable controllers are primarily to be used for console play. Eurogamer tweeted after posting their original articles that the controllers (rather than combing to form a single controller) are each two separate detachable controllers. I do wonder how big local MP using just the screen and controllers will be. I doubt it would be terribly too popular but I'm not the best arbiter of what the younger market in particular wants in gaming. Also, I wonder if these will be the two main controllers original they will be for players 2 and 3. Regarding cinrorlleda for the console, I mean.

As Servbot24 said, having detachable aides also means you could get all manner of different controller add-ons. Sky's the limit there.

6 inches? that sounds massive.

iphone 6 plus has a 5.5 inch screen and it's massive

3DS XL top screen I think is just under 5". I'd be surprised if NX was too much bigger, especially with those detachable controllers. I'm wondering if they expand to slide over and over the screen somehow. I don't think the JP market will jump eagerly on too big of a HH. They'll be thrilled for the minimal living room real state of a dock, though.

Here's a mockup I created for this concept, taking some creative liberties with it. This is with a 5" screen. It is a little slimmer and less tall than a 3DS, but wider with the controllers attached.

Lnyc6Io.jpg

8LPfzjc.jpg

My opinions on this idea:

-The controllers aren't detachable so that two people can play with them, that's silly. They're detachable because it makes this the perfect competitor to phones which really only suck because they don't have proper controls, in which case it can be sold to young people buying their first phone which is where Nintendo's handheld market is currently being gouged out. The idea that it's "too hard", and Nintendo should abandon their biggest market to go after the saturated home console market mid-cycle is ridiculous. You want something hard? Try selling a $400 console to people who already own one. Meanwhile we're not going to run out of teenagers buying their first phones anytime soon and that could be a huge market for Nintendo.

-With the controllers detachable, this could be one of the best VR solutions out there if sold with a Galaxy Gear-like headset and maybe a motion tracking device, because you could take the controller bits off, place the device into the headset and use the motion controls from those two controllers similar to Vive's or Oculus'.

-Why are people complaining about power? This is an example of Nintendo focusing on power for the first time in a long time - if they're using the Tegra X2 especially, this is about the most powerful handheld you could possibly build. If Sony wanted to do their Sony thing of releasing a more powerful handheld right after to compete with it they would have a hard time. This would be the most powerful handheld ever, which is a huge departure from the DS and 3DS strategy.

-Combining their handheld and home console software production will partly eliminate software droughts.
Just saw this since I'm catching up. Holy shit yes this looks perfect!

Well done!

LordRaptor

You seriously think that a controller with a tegraX1 in it and streaming to a phone make a lot of sense? Like really?

It makes more sense than making an iPhone without the phone.
It also answers the question how do you compete with mobile gaming; you make a peripheral that requires a mobile.

Considering Nintendo doesn't do design like Samsung or Apple with minimal bezels on the front, 6 inches could be pretty bulky. The Vitas' size is the sweetspot for me.

Oregano

Right, as brainchild said in this post and another one, the two detachable controllers are primarily to be used for console play. Eurogamer tweeted after posting their original articles that the controllers (rather than combing to form a single controller) are each two separate detachable controllers. I do wonder how big local MP using just the screen and controllers will be. I doubt it would be terribly too popular but I'm not the best arbiter of what the younger market in particular wants in gaming. Also, I wonder if these will be the two main controllers original they will be for players 2 and 3. Regarding cinrorlleda for the console, I mean.

As Servbot24 said, having detachable aides also means you could get all manner of different controller add-ons. Sky's the limit there.

3DS XL top screen I think is just under 5". I'd be surprised if NX was too much bigger, especially with those detachable controllers. I'm wondering if they expand to slide over and over the screen somehow. I don't think the JP market will jump eagerly on too big of a HH. They'll be thrilled for the minimal living room real state of a dock, though.

The JP overwhelmingly buys the XL over the normal 3DS. It was actually a shock how lopsided the N3DS sales were considering only the small SKU has cover plates.

oti

Banned
I was just about to post that! I'd also expect a clam shell device. They can even keep two screens that way...

They could just emulate the two screens. If it's 6" or even 5,5" that's big enough to do that. I want them to move on from 3D and two screens tbh.

ZOONAMI

Here's a mockup I created for this concept, taking some creative liberties with it. This is with a 5" screen. It is a little slimmer and less tall than a 3DS, but wider with the controllers attached.

Lnyc6Io.jpg

8LPfzjc.jpg

-The controllers aren't detachable so that two people can play with them, that's silly. They're detachable because it makes this the perfect competitor to phones which really only suck because they don't have proper controls, in which case it can be sold to young people buying their first phone which is where Nintendo's handheld market is currently being gouged out. The idea that it's "too hard", and Nintendo should abandon their biggest market to go after the saturated home console market mid-cycle is ridiculous. You want something hard? Try selling a $400 console to people who already own one. Meanwhile we're not going to run out of teenagers buying their first phones anytime soon and that could be a huge market for Nintendo.

-With the controllers detachable, this could be one of the best VR solutions out there if sold with a Galaxy Gear-like headset and maybe a motion tracking device, because you could take the controller bits off, place the device into the headset and use the motion controls from those two controllers similar to Vive's or Oculus'.

-Why are people complaining about power? This is an example of Nintendo focusing on power for the first time in a long time - if they're using the Tegra X2 especially, this is about the most powerful handheld you could possibly build. If Sony wanted to do their Sony thing of releasing a more powerful handheld right after to compete with it they would have a hard time. This would be the most powerful handheld ever, which is a huge departure from the DS and 3DS strategy.

-Combining their handheld and home console software production will partly eliminate software droughts.

Damn. Nintendo hire this person asap! The actual retail unit I'm sure will be fugly as hell in comparison.

BDGAME

Since the brain is in the control, not in the screen... What about a "controls only portable"

In the cheap package you get the two controls and no screen.You can use your cellphone as screen. Or your tablet... Or your TV.

They can sell it cheaper that way.

ZOONAMI

Pretty sure the bit about the brain is in the controller is just an oversight and they meant within the screen.

Brains in the controllers would be a disaster. People dropping controllers, throwing them, spilling in them, etc. People tend to be a bit more careful with screens than remotes.

TH-Work

Banned
What's the difference between the Nintendo SCD's and the AMD XConnect™ Technology?

Edit: And how is Nintendo able to patent this kind of technology when there is already something like the AMD XConnect™ Technology?

LordRaptor

Since the brain is in the control, not in the screen... What about a "controls only portable"

In the cheap package you get the two controls and no screen.You can use your cellphone as screen. Or your tablet... Or your TV.

Yes, that's what I was suggesting.

NX treats your device - whatever it is - like the NES treated your TV.

Peltz

Lnyc6Io.jpg

8LPfzjc.jpg

I'm sorry, but... you really think they're selling us a phone? Sounds insane from a business standpoint.

ZOONAMI

How exactly would that work? Bluetooth? Streaming the game to the screen? Ehhhhh...

Hmmm... well lcgeek has been talking about streaming a lot. I just don't see it though. I think the streaming rumors will indeed be more about the scds, and nearby systems plugged into the base unit will network together to increase performance. Some kind of crazy shit like that.

In the cheap package you get the two controls and no screen.
I've seen some dumb theories but this without a doubt the dumbest. And people have suggested no touch screen or D-Pads so thats something.

No screen? The brain isn't in the screen? Omg. Thanks for making the day entertaining. Needed some funny jokes to read.

The core internals will almost certainly be in the main portion - i.e behind the screen/majority of the handheld - that gets docked, not the detachable controllers.

It was poorly worded by Eurogamer, much like Emily Rodgers' "even that might be stretching it a bit".

LordRaptor

I still don't think the tech is there to just shove all the components into two parts of a controller in order for the game to run on any phone.

That depends on if you're thinking of the controller as iPhone styled micro speakers, or a controller of sufficient size to be able to house the required tech.

BDGAME

I've seen some dumb theories but this without a doubt the dumbest. And people have suggested no touch screen or D-Pads so thats something.

No screen? The brain isn't in the screen? Omg. Thanks for making the day entertaining. Needed some funny jokes to read.

Read the first quote in the first post. It's not hurt read first before committing.

ec0ec0

i'm not seeing how the controllers would be attached to the console in ChrisRo's mock-up. The sides of the console where you would attach the controllers are just flat?

I guess that he left it that way on purpose to make it look slick and like a phone.

i'm not seeing how the controllers would be attached to the console in ChrisRo's mock-up. The sides of the console where you would attach the controllers are just flat?

The mockup is just for form factor, not for interlocking design.

Though I'm going for conductive magnetism.

oti

Banned
I'm sorry, but... you really think they're selling us a phone? Sounds insane from a business standpoint.

Why not? It could be a handheld plus phone capabilities. They shouldn't market it as a phone first and foremost but why not?

psyfi

Banned
I have to relearn English if "within" means "between". Googling for the definition isn't helping either, all show "within" meaning "inside".
It's pretty obvious Eurogamer was referring to the entire NX unit when they said "inside the controller". It makes absolutely no sense for the "brain" to be in the detachable controllers. Context.

Edit : and there's no way this is going to be a phone folks, c'mon

LordRaptor

It's pretty obvious Eurogamer was referring to the entire NX unit when they said "inside the controller". It makes absolutely no sense for the "brain" to be in the detachable controllers. Context.

Why does it make no sense?
Because handhelds have traditionally always had an attached screen that the form factor had to be designed around?

What if the world we live in is one where everyone already has a screen with them anyway, and trying to sell you another one is redundant cost?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
But that's why you move back a few eras when they did cool things with fewer(bigger) pixels.

The requirements for a high res in VR that you read about regarding Oculus and Vive are aimed at the photo-realistic type images that they want to display.

I'm saying take your imagination to as far back as the NES era resolution graphics.

LTTP, but a 720p screen for VR would be the worst thing possible. Huge screen door effect or a blurry mess (if the optics would try somehow to compensate) or both. That's even before talking about what's rendered on that screen. It will make you want to grab this thing off your head and throw it before even you start a game.

The detachable controls with motion controls would be ideal for VR, but the screen needs to be at least 1080p and even X2 won't be good enough for decent VR games, no matter the artstyle.

M3d10n

Edit : and there's no way this is going to be a phone folks, c'mon

Seriously, GAF seem to have forgotten small tablets exist.

ZOONAMI

LTTP, but a 720p screen for VR would be the worst thing possible. Huge screen door effect or a blurry mess (if the optics would try somehow to compensate) or both. That's even before talking about what's rendered on that screen. It will make you want to grab this thing off your head and throw it before even you start a game.

The detachable controls with motion controls would be ideal for VR, but the screen needs to be at least 1080p and even X2 won't be good enough for decent VR games, no matter the artstyle.

VR is terrible on a 1440p screen imo. So yeah, vr makes no sense for Nintendo folks. I kind of think vr is pretty much dead for the time being. Maybe psvr will turn it around, but I just don't think vr is all that impressive to most people. Tried the psvr demo and I wouldn't spend any money on it. It needs at least a 4k screen, and even then I don't like the idea of a screen blasting less than 2inches away from my eyes for more than like a 30 minute play session.

Kansoku

They wrote on rumors of a thing we have never seen, know basically nothing about, that wasn't shown yet due to fear of the idea being stolen (along other factors). It might very well be true, and there is no way to know now what parts of the whole thing are true. The detachable controller make as much sense to me as the insides of the console being in the controller (Since they're on the sides and are to be used like Wiimotes, one on each hand, that means that there are 3 batteries in the NX (one on each controller + one on the screen), and ergonomically, they won't be comfortable if they aren't long like Wiimotes, and either the screen is enormous to allow that, or the screen is vertical.)

VariantX

Lnyc6Io.jpg

8LPfzjc.jpg

This looks slick. Therefore, were going to get another clunky fisher price looking piece of hardware, because Nintendo. Please god, prove me wrong.

Why does it make no sense?
Because handhelds have traditionally always had an attached screen that the form factor had to be designed around?

What if the world we live in is one where everyone already has a screen with them anyway, and trying to sell you another one is redundant cost?

How would these two detachable controllers communicate with each other to display a game? Assuming each holds different components (GPU, CPU, RAM, etc)? How will they be docked to display on a TV while still being able to be held and controlled by the player?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
A few days have passed, and I finally have an idea on how to recollect all my first impressions, feelings, and whatever about the current leaks (at least, that's what I hope).

Usually, one would start by listing the pros of something, but I want to begin with the cons, because I want to highlight what I think represents the negatives surrounding this concept.

CONS

1) "traditional" Western third party support
Let's be honest...not even a PS4 Neo-like "pure" home console would've guaranteed ports happening for Nintendo consoles either way, and back when the ecosystem theory was considered the most credible one by far, people were already thinking about the possibility of big, AAA Western gamesbeing exclusive for the home SKU of the ecosystem. However, this particular setup surely makes it more difficult, from a mere technical level, to receive ports. Although it has to be said (as I already posted hours ago) how some of the same sources who anticipated the recent news still put the device "around Xbox One" levels / "Xbox One might be even stretching a bit", so it'll probably depend on the capabilities of the final device and the game taken in consideration. Getting more games than just the usual suspects from the West (Lego/Just Dance/Skylanders) is not impossible, and Scorpio / Neo won't substitute PS4 / One, given devs are required to develop for the OG models anyway, but I fear other several projects would require an excessive amount of work to be downported to NX (...unless the device prints money at Wii levels, which is far from granted).

2) The competitors
The ecosystem theory would've seen the release of two and more devices, all satisfying more specific niches of the wide gaming audience spectrum: the handheld would've seen smartphones and tablets as competitors (insanely though), while the home SKU would've been a sort-of direct competitor with One and PS4 (very, very though). The hybrid, instead, compete with all of them at the same time. I mean, it's not a direct competitor, but there's no doubt they can't be ignored by Nintendo. Even thougher than what forecasted, if you look at it this way :p

3) The "All in" feeling
One of my main concerns about an hybrid was that, personally, the ecosystem would've allowed for the diversification of risk, i.e. different devices targeting different audiences, possibly sustaining each other's success and penetration, etc. Here, we have (for now) one single device, home and handheld line not just rolled into one environment sharing games and functions, but directly fused into a single product. It's a major gamble.

On the other hand...

PRO

1) All the Nintendo you need, right here
This was one of the greatest advantages everyone thought about immediately after Iwata started mentioning the famous iOS / Android comparison, in the ecosystem theory, and it applies here, even stronger: all the titles developed by Nintendo will now be developed for a single device, and that is amazing. However, a simple sum of 3DS + Wii U yearly totals of games from Nintendo isn't completely accurate to me: some redundancies would be corrected, so I'd dare to say it would be more like halfway between the total for a single platform and the summed total. Still, we're talking about a great amount of games for a single device. Also, no need to reiterate same series on different platforms mean more resources available for DLC / additional content / different games. Especially different games.

2) "traditional" Japanese third party support
3DS received good to great support from Japanese developers, and finally we'll get those games (assuming a similar support...3DS comes from a position of domination of the Japanese market, I don't think it's such a wild assumption :p ) available to play on a big screen as well. The Monster Hunter / Ace Attorney / Shin Megami Tensei and likes on a bigger screen? They're very welcomed. It's also possible NX could get more of the kind of games Vita and PS4 get due to a much more modern architecture and good / great power for a handheld + Vita fading away even in Japan.

3) This is a modern device
Ah, right. Seemingly, this is a device based on much more modern components than most recent Nintendo consoles overall. This means pretty good support for modern engines and tools from the get go. Especially when you consider Vulkan as well. Depending on the screen's resolution, we're looking at a portable device outputting visuals that can blow away Wii U's. On that front, it's even more optimistic than my most optimistic expectations for the handheld :p This can allow for easy ports for several Japanese projects, even aimed at home consoles, and the plethora of indie games that populate the gaming environment right now. Even with a limited Western support, there would be a potential good / great selection of titles of different scales on it.

4) It's...different, possibly in a good way
It's undeniable how this is something different than what most of us thought. However, it's also a different device than what currently available on the market, especially on a large scale. Even more important, this seems (and I want to stress as much as possible how this is my personal sensation on the matter) a device which is different in a good way, not different just for the sake of being different. Allow me to clarify.
DS: touch gaming on the go, a much wider spectrum of users can play. Now that's a good difference. Wii: motion gaming at home, less boundaries for non-gamers to come and play. Again, good difference. 3DS: stereoscopic visuals on the go. Now...at the time, many of us were in love with the feature, and the 3D craze was big, but, looking back, it was something that didn't have such a huge appeal, which couldn't be experienced as much as you wanted by everyone and, in the end, not the feature that could drive, alone, the console's sales, especially at 249.99, and without games for several months. Wii U: a screen in the controller, possibility of playing while the TV is off. Off-TV is honestly a great feature (and, when you think about it, it's here too...like the entire Wii U concept, even if inverted XD ), but it's not nearly enough, and it makes the controller look like one of the millions of tablets on the market. It wasn't nearly enough, and that was different for the sake of being different. Now, a (powerful) portable device that can act as a "normal" mobile device, with the possibility of local multiplayer wherever you are, and that can be played on the big screen as well? Basically, the "playing everywhere" concept even more expanded, especially for local multiplayer? Eh, IMHO it's a much more noticeable difference than 3DS and Wii U. It also allows for a much easier message in advertising. Now, granted, they still need to nail the message, but my first impression is that it's a less difficult task than trying to promote Wii U and 3DS.

5) The lineup would certainly have something different

Nintendo titles in spades + Japanese third party games + indie developers + mobile developers (not only Nintendo's own mobile apps, but others' as well...I mean, I feel the platform can easily get them considering the "mobile" mode with controllers detached from the screen unit) + some Western third party games? It certainly isn't a PS4 or an Xbox One, especially for the Western audience, but it would surely be characterised by something that can appeal to a different audience, alongside specific and not-so-small different niches. Different does not mean bad by default. This lineup could actually be considered better for several audiences currently unsatisfied / not-so-satisfied by PS4/One.

Ok, I believe this is all I have for now. I could possibly have a post more pertaining hopes about the concept in the next future. In the end, not what I hoped, but still pretty excited, even if full aware of how risky, in terms of market potential, this feels.

Hopefully, Emily is right and we'll get even more in the next future (and that fits how SA's source spoke about retailers getting material "soon".

Emily Rogers ‏@ArcadeGirl64 14 h14 ore fa
@Matbtz The last two days have been reports from Eurogamer, MCV, and Wall Street Journal. I'm sure we'll see more soon. :)

oti

Banned
How would these two detachable controllers communicate with each other to display a game? Assuming each holds different components (GPU, CPU, RAM, etc)? How will they be docked to display on a TV while still being able to be held and controlled by the player?

Pikmin.

There's no need to be such a jetk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom