• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
and BTW someone on Twitter is saying a 6 inch screen.

Ughh that's too big. 6 inch means like 9" x 3.5"l with bezel and controls factored in. Plus at 6" 540p would not be a great resolution, that's 183ppi which is basically the 3DS XL top screen. Which means they might go for 720p or some other non-standard resolution in between for better density, which means even less battery life.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm sorry, why is the control detachable again, ?

Motion controls? They'd serve handily enough as wiimote-a-likes for home play. Whatever about home vs portable from a processing guts point of view, from a control point of view that would at least allow a distinct mode of play for the home or in stationary scenarios and boosts its credentials as a 2-in-1.

oti

Banned
a 6 inch screen isn't very portable

tell that Google
nexus-6-2821-008.jpg

Florist

Neo Member
1. So that people can take the tablet on the go, if they want.
2. Instant, anywhere two player multiplayer.
3. Motion controls.
4. They could potentially be combined to make a more traditional controller. Perhaps with some sort of shell in the middle.

I imagine using the 2 detachable controllers like a wireless wiimote and nunchuck when gaming on the TV. The remaining "tablet" would be running game's companion app (i.e. Map screen, inventory, etc...)

Kansoku

I keep having problems with these detachable controllers.

Ergonomics wise, I having troubles imagining something that doesn't feel bad. If they are at the side of the screen, they must be small or the screen is going to be huge. I picked up my 3DS XL, and with my thumb on the circle pad, the 3ds goes to the base of my thumb. I cant imagine using something that small as a standalone controller to be comfortable. If they are not going to be used as something similar to WiiMote + Nunchuck, but instead you combine them into one controller, I also can't imagine a form factor that would work both ways. And then there are the battery issue. If you can detach the controller, put the screen part on a base and keep playing, there must be at least 2 batteries. One for the screen part, that would keep going when you dock it, and at least one for the controller, as in, one of the parts of the controller and the other gets powered up when you put them together, or 2, one for each part if it's like WiiMote + Nunchuck. Meaning you'll have 2 things to charge at least.Sure the screen part can charge while docked, but the controller can't. Would suck for the battery to run low while on the go, and when you get home you put the screen in the base, but can't play because, while the main part of the console is recharging, the controllers aren't.

Anth0ny

Well the XL versions of the 3DS are the most popular and being larger allows them to pack a bigger battery and have a more powerful system. Tegra X1 has never been used in a small form factor.

that's true. I guess when you think about it, people have been willing to walk around with a 3ds xl in their pocket/bag for all of these years.

if this thing is no bigger than a closed 3ds xl, that's not too bad. though I still wonder just how many people will tolerate having a traditional gaming handheld on them all the time in this era of smart phones that do everything.

Speely

Banned
6 inches? that sounds massive.

iphone 6 plus has a 5.5 inch screen and it's massive

It's pretty big yeah, but keep in mind that the entire device sans-controllers could be a screen, i.e. have no face borders. Some of the recent patents suggest that Nintendo was at least considering this kind of hardware. In that case, it would be a 6-inch total face rather than a 6 inch screen with added border girth. Big, but not outside the realm of portable possibility until you attach the controllers.

Conceivably, the device could just function like a mobile device in many ways, and even for some game modes, and then when you wanna break out the controllers, you can.

bs135

Man, I really hope the dock is the supplemental computing device we've seen in patents. That'd really help sell me on the idea of this thing being a true hybrid. Otherwise it's just a handheld with TV out. I think Nintendo needs the SCD if they want people to embrace the NX as a living room machine.

I couldn't agree with you more. If the dock gives the NX a good processing boost then I am on board. If it doesn't, its just a handheld that is more convenient to connect to a TV.

Ok. One last mockup post. This time I played with the possibilites with the form factor and deattachable controllers. Hope it adds to the discussion.

I must say that after thinking a lot about the concept, something seems to be missing and as many have pointed there is a lot of things to figure out before an idea like dettachable controllers on a portable really becomes viable and appealing...however if any could come with a solution, that is Nintendo.

P,S. Thanks a lot for all the comments about the last mockup, that is what made me keep going.

This looks so amazingly good that I think Nintendo is not going to be able to live up to this.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
From what is rumored so far, I think that the NX has the potential to be the best Nintendo console ever, I also think that if Nintendo plays their cards right, this has the potential to be the highest selling console ever. There are two things I would like to point out that has been mentioned.

"Combining home console and portable consoles will allow Nintendo to double their releases per year"

While will happen is that combining both would make Nintendo droughts a memory and that the software output would easily eclipse a single Nintendo console/portable console output. The misguided thought is that people think that you can combine Wii U and 3DS lineups and boom, that will be the software output for the NX. I think it is misguided because the NX represents a gigantic 2-3 generation leap over the 3DS and a one generation leap from the WiiU. This means that costs to develop the games increase, way over the 3DS, and even a portion over the WiiU.

Gaming UI

As Trails of Cold Steel and Senran Kagura Estivel Versus has shown me on the PS Vita, is that portable games cannot have Home Console UI. Likewise, portable console UI on a home TV would take way too much space. Nintendo has to address this, and hopefully they mandate a dual UI system where text and everything is small on a TV, while it is much bigger on the portable console.

If not, we see teeny tiny text in 100+ hour RPG's, or we see SUPER HUGE TEXT on a 32"+ gaming TV.

I think the whole detaching controller thing is dumb and is another gimmick. The limited use case isn't worth the sacrifice to ergonomics and pocket portability. If people want to play it on a TV, then add a small Chromecast like device to stream and be done with it. Sell a new separate controller or make existing controllers like the Wii U Pro compatible with it.

Mithos

Here's a mockup I created for this concept, taking some creative liberties with it. This is with a 5" screen. It is a little slimmer and less tall than a 3DS, but wider with the controllers attached.

Lnyc6Io.jpg

8LPfzjc.jpg

My opinions on this idea:

-The controllers aren't detachable so that two people can play with them, that's silly. They're detachable because it makes this the perfect competitor to phones which really only suck because they don't have proper controls, in which case it can be sold to young people buying their first phone which is where Nintendo's handheld market is currently being gouged out. The idea that it's "too hard", and Nintendo should abandon their biggest market to go after the saturated home console market mid-cycle is ridiculous. You want something hard? Try selling a $400 console to people who already own one. Meanwhile we're not going to run out of teenagers buying their first phones anytime soon and that could be a huge market for Nintendo.

-With the controllers detachable, this could be one of the best VR solutions out there if sold with a Galaxy Gear-like headset and maybe a motion tracking device, because you could take the controller bits off, place the device into the headset and use the motion controls from those two controllers similar to Vive's or Oculus'.

-Why are people complaining about power? This is an example of Nintendo focusing on power for the first time in a long time - if they're using the Tegra X2 especially, this is about the most powerful handheld you could possibly build. If Sony wanted to do their Sony thing of releasing a more powerful handheld right after to compete with it they would have a hard time. This would be the most powerful handheld ever, which is a huge departure from the DS and 3DS strategy.

-Combining their handheld and home console software production will partly eliminate software droughts.

Finally a design that do not put the speakers so you cover them with your hands

ChrisRo set the bar so high, they can only disappoint.

It will probably be a plastic-bomber with a resistive touchscreen and won't be a beautiful piece of hardware.

I hope they prove me wrong.

Chrisro all you need is scroll wheel shoulder buttons lol. But as a visualization of the current rumors it looks to be spot on. I do worry about the detachments both having to have batteries and gyros in them, it'll probably make them more expensive. Knowing Nintendo there will be a cable or some connection between them.

ChrisRo set the bar so high, they can only disappoint.

It will probably be a plastic-bomber with a resistive touchscreen and won't be a beautiful piece of hardware.

I hope they prove me wrong.

I hope so too... At the very least I don't want to see a resistive touch screen. Capacitive screens can be found in $50 Android phones nowadays. There's no reason for them to stick with resistive.

I hope so too... At the very least I don't want to see a resistive touch screen. Capacitive screens can be found in $50 Android phones nowadays. There's no reason for them to stick with resistive.

The main reason they stuck with resistive so long is the stylus accuracy, especially on the 3DS with the small screen. But true, nowadays everything is designed for capacitive screens so it would be stupid not to use that.

JMZ555

Why don't they just forget detachable controllers and bundle a simple pro controller for use when at home?

Without the worry of detachable controllers it be probably be built easier, more sturdy and ergonomic.

Krowley

You're leaving out the qualification I made. The image is going to be blocky old school graphics.

Don't think you need a 1080p screen for VR if all you're going to do are simple old school blocky graphics.

And yes I've tried VIVE and GearVR.

For what it's worth I actually love the VR speculation.

It seems exactly like the sort of thing Nintendo might do.

As for the screen res issues, I'm not really a tech wiz, but isn't it possible that the thing would have a battery saving mode with lower res output, and a higher res mode for use in VR applications? A lot of people already seem to be speculating that it can output at 1080p to TV and would be as low as 540P when in handheld mode... Maybe the handheld res can scale up if you're using it in headset mode.

Isn't it possible that the detachable controller isn't meant to be used separately in console/dock mode but rather, can be put together directly after detaching so that it can be used as a single controller?

Danneee

I don't think we'll see a d pad this time around. Mostly because it's not necessary for 3d gaming and if there's two detachable controllers and are supposed to function as two separate controllers for two players they will be identical.

So my prediction is two circle pads (most likely better than the 3ds ones) with the standard 4 buttons beneath them on each side of the screen. Start and select beneath the screen and of the same type as the original 3ds. Most likely trigger on the top right and left on the controller parts, though that would contradict them looking identical so I'm not sure. Maybe trigger on the back of the controllers?

Oh, and both cotrollers are of course wireless.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Whether it was in the original plans or not, there is nothing stopping Nintendo from initially or eventually releasing a console only iteration. Nintendo can make a higher end console unit with bigger storage options and an SCD, or a cheaper version without moving parts or upgrades. The software library is the important part here, not the hardware per say.

The DS and 3DS were huge roadblocks because of mandatory two screen gaming not translating well to a console, but the NX is a one screen unit here. There are no roadblocks here, and I'm sure Nintendo understands not everyone in the Western market will love a transforming only hybrid option. But we will have to wait and see.

Whether it was in the original plans or not, there is nothing stopping Nintendo from initially or eventually releasing a console only iteration. Nintendo can make a higher end console unit with bigger storage options and an SCD, or a cheaper version without moving parts or upgrades. The software library is the important part here, not the hardware per say.

The DS and 3DS were huge roadblocks because of mandatory two screen gaming not translating well to a console, but the NX is a one screen unit here. There are no roadblocks here, and I'm sure Nintendo understands not everyone in the Western market will love a transforming only hybrid option. But we will have to wait and see.

Yes, this is true. They can do that whenever they want.

But I very much doubt it is in the plans right now.

Updating my theory on NX but adding in some questions for ya'll to help me figure out:

- NX is a modular hybrid device: It consists of a "dumb" screen, controller sections and a back plate that contains the "brain" of the unit.

- The "brain" of the NX will primarily connect to a dock for TV use. Doing so will allow the hardware to "unlock" itself and gives more power for TV output

- The "brain" can be attached to the modular screen and controller sections for on-the-go usage. Users can substitute their compatible smartphones for the "screen" unit utilizing the NX app. This also allows the NX to utilize your phone's data plan for multiplayer gaming on the go.

I don't believe this is what NX will fully be, but I just find it fun to speculate. I'm sure there's a ton of information I left out that would make this approach plausible. Can anyone knock it down a few pegs and/or add some suggestions?

Lmo911

Isn't it possible that the detachable controller isn't meant to be used separately in console/dock mode but rather, can be put together directly after detaching so that it can be used as a single controller?

Wouldn't it need more surface area from a comfort stand point? Unless the two controllers are hooked to some kind of case that the screen sits in? I don't know about the general durability on something like that though. Maybe there's some kind of hub they hook up to for the dock?

JMZ555

I mean...it's a portable.

I mean still have controls on the device like a psp or scaled down size of WiiU pad,

but instead of trying to come up with detachable controllers to use when at home just have something like a cheap wireless pad. That way you can scale the size is its portable without having to worry about designing detachable controllers that may effect ergonomics and build sturdiness.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Why don't they just forget detachable controllers and bundle a simple pro controller for use when at home?

Without the worry of detachable controllers it be probably be built easier, more sturdy and ergonomic.

It actually sounds like the detachable controllers are more for on the go use for immediate multiplayer support rather than at home use. I would be very surprised if they didn't also bundle or offer up for separate purchase a normal Pro Controller option.

Thing that confuses me is that even if they go with like a true tablet sized device that has a 8-9" screen that's really not that big enough for two people to play one together, let alone on a 5" screen that is better for an actual handheld portable gaming device.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Yes, this is true. They can do that whenever they want.

But I very much doubt it is in the plans right now.

I hope you are wrong because a cheap TV only version could be very big. They probably could do a TV only for 149.99 which would make it very family friendly price wise. It also would be price friendly for the core gamers as a secondary console. Right now they are shutting out a huge portion of the customer base because most don't want to pay for a handheld they would never use. I see it as leaving lots of money on the table in the west.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
What I've been wondering is if maybe the detachable part of the controls on the handheld are to allow multiple control configurations on the handheld itself? It seems like it would be odd to make them the home controller.

Also, I'm hoping that there is a way to use the screen asynchronously with the TV, if only just for the inevitable Splatoon remaster/sequel. The screen is a HUGE part of how I play the game. I'll be sad if we lose that.

psyfi

Banned
Great mockup! I would love a nunchuk + wiimote like controller combo again.

If I may, I have one suggestion. Sorry for butchering your work, did a quick change on paint, lol.

wzWb.jpg

It would feel more confortable to me.
Yes, this is pretty much exactly what I want.

Azoo

Neo Member
ChrisRo's idea seems just about perfect, though it may need to be slightly wider to offset the sticks with the d-pad/buttons.

Though I still kind of imagine there'd be a Pro Controller bundled with the rest of it, just for home usage. The separate pieces seem really neat, but shouldn't be necessary to play it at home (just as it's not how you play it on the go, either, since it's connected to the screen).

KingBroly

Banned

Do you expect them to? Because I don't.

This tells me they're getting out of the 'games that need to be played on your TV' market to me.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Yes, this is true. They can do that whenever they want.But I very much doubt it is in the plans right now.

This is an entirely nebulous concept at the moment. We don't know what the portable nor the dock really are. Does the dock look like a console, or a small cordless phone base? Does the portable transform into a small car so the owners can drive themselves to work? I don't know.

Do you expect them to? Because I don't. This tells me they're getting out of the 'games that need to be played on your TV' market to me.

But the library not being exclusive removes the risk. This is a a compatible iteration. No different than releasing 5 versions of the DS or GBA.

Kansoku

Also, looking at the OP a little more, this line is weird:

A base unit, or dock station, is used to connect the brain of the NX - within the controller - to display on your TV.
Emphasis mine.

So technically it's an inverted Wii U. Instead of the console running the games and streaming the screen to the controller, your controller will run the games and stream it to the screen part on the base (which will be connected to a TV).

And then the controllers are on the sides of the screen and detachable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom