• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuchoMalo

Banned
You got that right, lol.

It's so weird, since Parker almost seems designed for a hybrid gaming device. It's the perfect candidate, yet Nintendo might refuse it just because it's not "proven." Nintendo has some really stupid philosophies. There's no good reason to stick with Maxwell.

It's so weird, since Parker almost seems designed for a hybrid gaming device. It's the perfect candidate, yet Nintendo might refuse it just because it's not "proven." Nintendo has some really stupid philosophies. There's no good reason to stick with Maxwell.

Not using cutting edge technology because it has no track-record is not stupid, It's incredibly sensible. There's a reason why NASA elected to use Playstation 1 CPUs in the New Horizons probe.

If your tech isn't reliable it can cost you severely. Microsoft lost a lot of money due to RROD.

Jinketsu

Considering the fact that she nailed everything about NX hardware on the nose, absolutely.

On the nose according to this most recent rumor. It could be right, but it might not be as well. Our confirmation of her "nailing everything" is based on Eurogamer uncited sources, where the only confirmation we have is from IGN saying "oh yeah, our sources too." We have seen uncited sources be "verified" before and wind up being completely fake, so I wouldn't take Emily's word as "nailing" anything until it's officially revealed and we can actually say "good job, Emily!"

Unless of course there has been unmistakable identifiable proof somewhere in these pages I've missed. I haven't seen anything anywhere else. Everything points to "most likely" but nothing points to "absolutely" so I wouldn't go around saying "absolutely nailed everything on the nose." It just readies the ol' hope device up for failure.

Philippo

We only need two SKUs, one with only the handheld (199) and another one bundled with the dock(279).
Also sell the dock separately as an accesory so that people can upgrade in the future.
That's it, its simply and avoid any confusion, as long as they make clear the benefits of having the dock.

Kinyou

Not sure if no BC would be smart. Many out there who have skipped the Wii-U so it would be an extra incentive to buy the NX

DizzyCrow

If it's two SKUs why not the handheld and the separate console, you know for people who do not want a portable sitting under the TV forever

On the nose according to this most recent rumor. It could be right, but it might not be as well. Our confirmation of her "nailing everything" is based on Eurogamer uncited sources, where the only confirmation we have is from IGN saying "oh yeah, our sources too." We have seen uncited sources be "verified" before and wind up being completely fake, so I wouldn't take Emily's word as "nailing" anything until it's officially revealed and we can actually say "good job, Emily!"

Unless of course there has been unmistakable identifiable proof somewhere in these pages I've missed. I haven't seen anything anywhere else. Everything points to "most likely" but nothing points to "absolutely" so I wouldn't go around saying "absolutely nailed everything on the nose." It just readies the ol' hope device up for failure.
CORRECT.

Im not sure who the hell IGN and everybody else piggy backing on a rumor. If its Eurogamer rumor let eurogamer have it. Matter of fact its Emily Roger's rumor not even Eurogamer to be quite frank. Just telling yall straight up!

This reminds me when that gaffer made the fake NX controller and a couplw twitter heads, gaf insiders, MCV and whoever else was like, "Yeah I heard about this too." They all be ghost riding the shrimp.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If it's two SKUs why not the handheld and the separate console, you know for people who do not want a portable sitting under the TV forever

Because that's not the concept they're trying to sell.

CORRECT.

Im not sure who the hell IGN and everybody else piggy backing on a rumor. If its Eurogamer rumor let eurogamer have it. Matter of fact its Emily Roger's rumor not even Eurogamer to be quite frank. Just telling yall straight up!

You seem upset that this rumour is very possible to be real. Why is that? You don't like the concept?

Phoenixus

Not sure if no BC would be smart. Many out there who have skipped the Wii-U so it would be an extra incentive to buy the NX

If retaining previous hardware architecture just for BC would end up holding back the system again like with WiiU, then they're better off not including it. And I'm saying that as someone who loves Backwards compatibility.

heringer

Wasn't the fact that they want to pass a simple message part of the rumor? I don't think they are doing multiple SKU's at launch.

openrob

I personally do not want a hybrid that will gimp what it can do as a home console because it also needs to function as a handheld. I just want a Nintendo console with PS4+ level performance to play the ultimate version of BotW on. I have a phone for what little gaming I do on the go these days. As does everybody else.

The Tegra x1 chip (an industry leading mobile chip) that people presume will be in the NX is still more powerful than the Wii U

Because that's not the concept they're trying to sell.

You seem upset that this rumour is very possible to be real. Why is that? You don't like the concept?
Im not upset at all, im speaking objectively I dont care if the rumor is fake or real Im buying the NX and 6 games at launch even if its a handheld with hdmi out and 2 controllers broke into 2 using a Nvidia X1.

I dont like the rumor concept? No I dont, only because I believe we have it wrong. This concept doesnt make sense as is, it just dont seem plausible.

I'll wait on Nintendo, another rumor or Nate Drake to clean this up. Because right now its 70% right.

Xater

Wasn't the fact that they want to pass a simple message part of the rumor? I don't think they are doing multiple SKU's at launch.

Exactly. I think the very idea of going for multiple SKUs would be a mistake. Have a unified vision and sell that.

I agree with this somewhat. I think they'll do multiple SKU's at launch, but I don't see it being anything more than "basic" and "pro" versions. At the most, I can see there being a Zelda bundle at launch to capitalize on people who want that game but don't own a Wii-U.

As soon as you start excluding the rumored "dock", you're taking away part of the potential experience. I don't think Nintendo wants to make a unified console/handheld experience just to segment it into different parts at retail. It all boils down to how they market this though. Maybe they have some other gimmick to talk up and using the dock will just be considered optional to them.

Two versions isn't a very complicated message.
This is our new machine. If you only want to use it as a handheld, get this one. If you want to use it as a console as well, but this bundle with a dock. If you go for the former, you can still buy the dock separately later.
Complicated would be if buying the cheaper one locked you out from using it as a console.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Im not upset at all, im speaking objectively I dont care if the rumor is fake or real Im buying the NX and 6 games at launch even if its a handheld with hdmi out and 2 controllers broke into 2 using a Nvidia X1.

I dont like the rumor concept? No I dont, only because I believe we have it wrong. This concept doesnt make sense as is, it just dont seem plausible.

I'll wait on Nintendo, another rumor or Nate Drake to clean this up. Because right now its 70% right.

The concept is very simple, I don't understand the confusion. The execution is what we don't know anything about right now.

NX is a console that will allow you to play the games you like everywhere. More so, you don't need an extra controller to play with a friend, be it in the park or at his/your house. You just take out NX, detach the two controllers and play together. You dock it and you can play the games on the TV in HD.

And all this for $199.

Very simple.

TLZ

Banned
The best thing about this translation is that it is saying what I have been saying for fuckin months..

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=201652714
"And the NX will be a device that supports all of these devices. Dont yall see it?

It will be a QOL, Handheld, Console, VR, AR machine. What yall think the supplemental powering device was for? Not for a console but to support all of these things combined. They struck lightning again yall! An all in one machine that is capable of doing everything aka the Nintendo HOME"

It also lines up, in my opinion with the information discussed in this same rosti patent thread.
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?p=201652714#post201652714

Also look at the "U" controller..

Yall will keep ignoring and laughing until its revealed but thats ok.

ANYWAYS... Anyone know what happen to that XSCAPE guy or whatever who use to post in NX threads? He vanished but apparently he knew some shit and im just curious where he went.

That horseshoe though... I don't know how...

I remember that guy now, especially this part reminded me of him "I still can't say. But the people will love this NX!". I remember him repeating that a lot. Could be the same person.

Dude is probably wrong about this cart thing or its word/translated wrong. Yall focusing on the wrong shit.

That option is already not reliable due to the age of buying digital.

That speculation is pointless.

(Quoting your from the other thread because it's closed :/)

Maybe he's on about the SCDs but worded differently.

CORRECT.

This reminds me when that gaffer made the fake NX controller and a couplw twitter heads, gaf insiders, MCV and whoever else was like, "Yeah I heard about this too." They all be ghost riding the shrimp.

I remember that very well. That was hilarious and is partly why I'm very cautious.

Basically, a custom Tegra for Nintendo, which is the most likely outcome. That or 'Tegra-Next'.

b78fc337c21d0bdb414268c04f00ecece45c6221afcfa502d68737955823ac24.jpg

The concept is very simple, I don't understand the confusion. The execution is what we don't know anything about right now.

NX is a console that will allow you to play the games the games you like everywhere. More so, you don't need an extra controller to play with a friend, be it in the park or at his/your house. You just take out NX, detach the two controllers and play together. You dock it and you can play the games on the TV in HD.

And all this for $199.

Very simple.
Yeah im not buying that 2 controller part. I dont think it will be used for that purpose if its true.

oti

Banned
Biggest question mark for me at this point are the controllers. There's definitely some vital piece of information that we don't have as of yet.

TLZ

Banned

NX is a console that will allow you to play the games you like everywhere. More so, you don't need an extra controller to play with a friend, be it in the park or at his/your house. You just take out NX, detach the two controllers and play together. You dock it and you can play the games on the TV in HD.

And all this for $199.

Very simple.

The bolded part is the confusion. I don't get how that'll work.

guek

Banned
They don't need BC for that if it's for non-Wii U owners. They'll probably port stuff like Mario Maker and Smash Bros.

If it does happen to have BC but it's digital purchases only, I'll laugh so hard. I went 90% digital this gen with wii u :p

dcx4610

Imagine being at a break room or something at work. You detach the controllers, flip the stand on the screen and you both play a 2 player game on the system.

One of the GAF'ers made a great picture of what it could look like.

eurogamer-6v76d4.jpg

Biggest question mark for me at this point are the controllers. There's definitely some vital piece of information that we don't have as of yet.
Right.

In order to have two controllers this is what you will need:

- 2 controllers equally the same buttons symmetrically identical.

- Games design around the purpose of using 2 controllers on a small screen

-The controllers would have to be made ergonomically sound to support 2 hands on it once and 2 individual people playing it at once.

-Seperat batteries for each controller

-Seperate batteries for the device too.

Of course anything can be a concept but if the execution is too difficult too accomplish why entertain it. Too many factors for this dumb 2 controller idea to be a reality. If anything there is some misinformation in the rumor and the 2 controllers are one controller like the Wii nunchuck.. or that "U" patent design controlker that looks like the magnet in breath of the wild.

Persona7

Banned
No way this device has a actual USB port, right? Still don't understand how this will dock and also have a HDMI out unless it has a proprietary port that plugs into the dock and the HDMI out is there. Could also have a USB. The Kangaroo PC has one but I think it's super slow?

Jinketsu

If true, it would depend on the game for sure. I imagine the two controller pieces to work more in tandem with how the nunchuk and Wiimote work, without the tether. I'm sure they'll have some sort of tether or mount you can buy to make it feel more like a traditional controller, but it just sounds to me like even freer hand/arm movements with the two pieces of controller wireless from each other.

And despite the backlash I'm sure I'll get for this opinion, I actually think the nunchuk and wiimote feel great. I always enjoyed playing non-motion games with my hands wherever they wanted to be. Feels really comfortable, and didn't take any getting used to from my perspective. Just completely natural.

Same eurogamer tell, and more. Two months ago and telling that in July we will hear more about NX.

So were random reddit shitposters ever since it was confirmed not to be at e3.
It was posted days after semiaccurate first leaked the Tegra news and doesn't match the Eurogamer description, The post says it's a box that's separate from the screen AND separate from the controller. If you wanted random hybrid detachable rumor bullshit for most of the year I should have just pretended to be an insider myself.

Imagine being at a break room or something at work. You detach the controllers, flip the stand on the screen and you both play a 2 player game on the system.

eurogamer-6v76d4.jpg
Yeah... you guys are making and enjoying concepts that look cool.. but what of functionality and entertainment. Will that be a long term gimmick that makes the device worth it? No.

Why walk around hoping to play 2 player. If somebody wanted to play they would have one themselves.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Yeah... you guys are making and enjoying concepts that look cool.. but what of functionality and entertainment. Will that be a long term gimmick that makes the device worth it? No.

Why walk around hoping to play 2 player. If somebody wanted to play they would have one themselves.

You can play it on your own if you want. It's a multipurpose device and not all the purposes appeal to everybody. It's not difficult to understand, really. The fact the the controllers are detachable doesn't stop you enjoying it in single player.

Portugeezer

No way this device has a actual USB port, right? Still don't understand how this will dock and also have a HDMI out unless it has a proprietary port that plugs into the dock and the HDMI out is there. Could also have a USB. The Kangaroo PC has one but I think it's super slow?

Yeah the way I see it, you dock the handheld using some proprietary port (hopefully something as simple as the 3DS charging dock), the dock itself will have a HDMI to TV.

USB would be slower, but I don't think it would be noticeable. Hell, we can stream games over the internet these days with very little lag, a USB port would work for a local system.

orioto

Good Art™
Right.

-The controllers would have to be made ergonomically sound to support 2 hands on it once and 2 individual people playing it at once.

Of course anything can be a concept but if the execution is too difficult too accomplish why entertain it. Too many factors for this dumb 2 controller idea to be a reality. If anything there is some misinformation in the rumor and the 2 controllers are one controller like the Wii nunchuck.. or that "U" patent design controlker that looks like the magnet in breath of the wild.

It certainly seems super challenging to design such a thing.

And that's not even mentioning that games needing some motion control, or a nunchuk+wiimote type design wouldn't be playable in every situations. Not every location allows you to put the screen somewhere comfortably.

So now we are eagerly anticipating the moment NathanDrake will spill the beans on NX...and 15 pages ago there was a joke who will reveal first Sony or Nintendo, and that Sony will reveal the NX first :-D Guess some people were kinda right :D

You can play it on your own if you want. It's a multipurpose device and not all the purposes appeal to everybody. It's not difficult to understand, really. The fact the the controllers are detachable doesn't stop you enjoying it in single player.
I'm not saying you cant or you will. Like I said in those bullet points above it just dont make sense. Consider all the properties of video games, game design, and accesories and try to cram it into handheld device that is design for potential multiplayer on one device.

It wont work. The reasons why all the mockups are trash is because they cant do it while obeying those priciples.

-Games cant be too complicated because of the limits of the controllers (buttons)

-Games cant be too long because of the limits of the controllers (battery)

In turn, inconviences will plague the system in either functionality or uselessness.

EDIT: It sounds like you guys have fallen in love with the concept without thinking of reality. Its no worse than 10K and SMD.

TLZ

Banned

eurogamer-6v76d4.jpg

Detaching to play with someone else on a small screen.. I don't know. Also these controllers will look like roku controllers when separated. That's tiny and uncomfortable. Not even mentioning the games that would need the 2 sticks and shoulder buttons. How would that work detached?

Still not sold there. I hope it's a convincing gimmick.

Subaru

Right.

interchange2.jpg

They don't need to be symmetrical because you could change buttons.

This solves the issue of developers having to decide between the handheld and home console platforms when they make a game. Traditional handheld games get access to home console levels of graphics and screen sizes, and traditional home console games get access to portability.

No more of people moaning that the new Animal Crossing is on handheld!

Right.

It doesn't have to be 2 full controllers, it could be a very simple controller.

And Nintendo have been experimenting with this:

yrSkFNV.png

So you're changing buttons, but that's still attached to the screen. Unless you mean I'll just hold the the tiny round buttons in my hands?

In the patent you can only change the d-pad or buttons. But in the final product might as well be the whole controller.

Detaching to play with someone else on a small screen.. I don't know. Also these controllers will look like roku controllers when separated. That's tiny and uncomfortable. Not even mentioning the games that would need the 2 sticks and shoulder buttons. How would that work detached?

Still not sold there. I hope it's a convincing gimmick.

Have you ever tried a Gameboy Micro? Plus, the 2 controllers are for casual local multiplayer play, not 9 hours of Monster Hunter.

Not sure if I'm a bit late or if anyone still cares, but NX being "compatible" with mobile games likely doesn't refer to mobile games being playable on NX, but taking data from your mobile game save and transferring it to NX games and applications. MiiMaker, for example, connecting to Miitomo so you can download the clothes you have won. This would give Miitomo a considerable push making it a long term product and would make spending time and money on clothes worth it since you can use them in other games

wishdom

Not sure if detachable controllers make sense.

That means the handheld as a whole will have 3 batteries and 3 bluetooth chips when put together?

Extra weight is never a good thing for hh devices.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
-Games cant be too complicated because of the limits of the controllers (buttons)

Both controllers can have as many buttons as Nintendo think it's necessary. Scroll shoulders can help with that. You're inventing a limit based on the mock-ups as I said.

-Games cant be too long because of the limits of the controllers (battery)

In a world in which Wii U Pro controller runs 80 hours on battery this is a made up problem.

EDIT: It sounds like you guys have fallen in love with the concept without thinking of reality. Its no worse than 10K and SMD.

I haven't fallen in love with this part of the concept, I actually like the idea of a powerful handheld mostly. But I don't think the concept is as complicated as you make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom