• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
In that case we're no longer dealing with a hybrid, but a bundle pack.

I couldn't care less about the definition of it at this point.

Edit: Nintendo won't call it a hybrid either. I bet they will call it console, because they call everything console, including handhelds.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I personally do not want a hybrid that will gimp what it can do as a home console because it also needs to function as a handheld. I just want a Nintendo console with PS4+ level performance to play the ultimate version of BotW on. I have a phone for what little gaming I do on the go these days. As does everybody else.

So did he provide any info before? Because without any other information it just looks like attention whoring.

Iwata hasn't really said a lot on NX to be fair. Point still stands though, it's better to be very cautious when it comes to his statements. Iwata was a man of words, not of actions.

Do you think gamers will upgrade their system every 2 years? Could be that Nintendo is trying that, I personally however doubt that this would be a successful path.

That is only likely for niche titles as it would significantly limit the audience. Not everyone will own all different NX systems. That's also why we have only got a handful of new 3DS exclusives.

True, they are more or less the same system with the same games. A separate console NX would not really add value when the base hybrid NX can already do the same. Not saying that this won't happen, but I would not really see that console-only NX as a separate system as it would still share the same library and just be a "hybrid NX minus portability".

Not true. You could get graphical enhancements with the home version without any extra effort on the developer's end (increased resolution, increased frame rate, higher texture resolution, higher shadow quality, better AA). Think of the scalability of PCs. Games these days aren't tailor made for high end PCs, but gamers still appreciate the value of high end PCs. A home console version of the NX would be no different.

It's far better at aiming/camera control than a thumbstick though, and a thumbstick is very often used for those.

Not that I imagine Nintendo would go with something like that, so it's moot really.

Yeah, I agree. I really wish it was a standard replacement for the right stick on controllers. I don't want to use it for anything else though, especially buttons. I get that it allows a bit more flexibility in some situations, but I'd rather have fixed buttons that developers have to design around.

Why wouldn't this be possible?

Convenience. Having to carry a tablet and two separate bluetooth controllers feels like significantly more effort that carrying a single device that has this packaged in.

Additionally, a lot of mobile games don't bother with Controllers because the majority of players don't own them and on top of that there isn't really a "universal standard" on the implementation end. Apple tried to make one but ended up fucking right up because their "standard" included two different controller layouts, one with a single analogue stick and one with two. Madness...

What something like this boils down to is quality. You're more likely to get richer, more engrossing and higher quality experiences on something like the rumoured NX than you are on a tablet, but they'll likely be significantly more expensive than those on Mobiles. The user will just have to decide what is more important to them.

Iwata's statement from 2014 once again:

"Still, I am not sure if the form factor (the size and configuration of the hardware) will be integrated. In contrast, the number of form factors might increase. Currently, we can only provide two form factors because if we had three or four different architectures, we would face serious shortages of software on every platform. To cite a specific case, Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms. Apple has a common platform called iOS. Another example is Android. Though there are various models, Android does not face software shortages because there is one common way of programming on the Android platform that works with various models. The point is, Nintendo platforms should be like those two examples. Whether we will ultimately need just one device will be determined by what consumers demand in the future, and that is not something we know at the moment."

I never implied that what Iwata said was anything more than a suggestion of possibilities. His uncertainty doesn't contradict that.

KAL2006

Banned
Still not convinced by the multiplayer portable aspect of this.
The screen needs to be very big if that's meant to be a big draw, not many will want to do multiplayer, especially split screen, huddled up in front of a 6 inch screen.

If this is tablet size then it will flop. Wii U Pad is huge and give me hand cramps. The portable aspect needs.to be there. They should be aiming for Vita size handheld. Or else this is too big for the portable market.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I never implied that what Iwata said was anything more than a suggestion of possibilities. His uncertainty doesn't contradict that.

Then lay it low with the "I have evidence from Nintendo" shtick. What you have is speculation based on a scenario that Nintendo considered among others in 2014. Which is fine.

nightside

I personally do not want a hybrid that will gimp what it can do as a home console because it also needs to function as a handheld. I just want a Nintendo console with PS4+ level performance to play the ultimate version of BotW on. I have a phone for what little gaming I do on the go these days. As does everybody else.

But we all know it won't happen (and many would add "sadly")

maxcriden

So, I just want to summarize how many sources are corroborating this scenario.

Eurogamer
Emily Rogers (perhaps with similar sources to Eurogamer)
WSJ
ShockingAlberto (confirmed prior to EG reveal)
Portegeuse forum leak unless a remarkable coincidence

Anyone else?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Eurogamer
WSJ

Anyone else?

Kotaku, IGN, MCV twice.

Skele7on

Banned

Eurogamer
WSJ

Anyone else?

Is Emily still even relevant at this point?

Peltz

Do you know the average number of App downloads in the US per month? It's zero. I don't think an App Store filled with thousands of apps would help the system, nor would not having it hurt it.

I have said in this thread, that Nintendo MUST have communication and social apps on the phone. Snapchat/Instagram/Periscope/WhatsApp/etc.

If they can produce a device with enough features that users don't have to pull out their phones on their morning train ride, they may be on to something.

I think there will be a lot of disappointed people in this thread.

Then lay it low with the "I have evidence from Nintendo" shtick. What you have is speculation based on a scenario that Nintendo considered among others in 2014. Which is fine.

Nevertheless, my claims were still based on evidence, even if we both agree that that evidence is tenuous.

Honestly, the only reason I brought it up was because the mere suggestion of multiple SKUs was being scoffed at as illogical, which is ridiculous.

Haunted

I'm in a similar boat. I think we'll be disappointed by the NX's capabilities. I believe that Nintendo thinks that we're not a significant enough portion of their market to go after us.

And to be honest, they're probably right (and that's a shame).

So am I correct in saying that right now the biggest "mystery" is the dock and whether it's merely video out or if it enhances the hardware?

I would say the two controllers, but I feel like that's more of a case of denial than actual lack of information - but honestly we might no nothing at all!

I'm having fun on this journey with y'all.

TrutaS

If they are waiting for Tegra x2 to announce everything I'm sure the world will cheer. If it ends up being everything that was rumoured I think they will only loose steam the more time they take to get public.

I really like the idea and I really believe a hybrid is the best way to go for Nintendo (to avoid fragmentation of their software line-ups), but please please just show the thing.

Septimius

I'm in a similar boat. I think we'll be disappointed by the NX's capabilities. I believe that Nintendo thinks that we're not a significant enough portion of their market to go after us.

And to be honest, they're probably right (and that's a shame).

Do you mean to say that the bigger market is in a hybrid console? Because I find that hard to believe.

So am I correct in saying that right now the biggest "mystery" is the dock and whether it's merely video out or if it enhances the hardware?

I would say the two controllers, but I feel like that's more of a case of denial than actual lack of information - but honestly we might no nothing at all!

The biggest mystery is that we still don't know much about the NX and the extent to which the current rumors cover its features.

The biggest mystery is that we still don't know much about the NX and the extent to which the current rumors cover its features.

True, for all we know the current rumors are for a SKU that won't be released until next August and what we are getting in March is completely different.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

The actual chip is pretty important. Dock, other features, possibility of future proofing through upgrades, etc., as well. Lots we don't know.

Haunted

Do you mean to say that the bigger market is in a hybrid console? Because I find that hard to believe.
No, I mean to say that Nintendo doesn't see big profits for themselves going after the "I want Nintendo games on a really powerful system" clientele.

Whether they'll have success netting both the fans of their handheld and console output with the NX or whether it's more likely they won't get either because of this compromise, I can't say.

boo

Gold Member
Nevertheless, my claims were still based on evidence, even if we both agree that that evidence is tenuous.

Honestly, the only reason I brought it up was because the mere suggestion of multiple SKUs was being scoffed at as illogical, which is ridiculous.

Until Nintendo says something else officially, it is only natural to go with the scenario that Nintendo themselves have clearly drawn up. NX as the operating system, several types of NX hardware released over time that can play the same games. This thus being the first rumoured hardware.

is it theoretically possible and or feasible to downclock the processor in mobile mode to feed a let's say a 540p image and then have it run full steam while docked to power a 1080 tv?

Bluth54

is it theoretically possible and or feasible to downclock the processor in mobile mode to feed a let's say a 540p image and then have it run full steam while docked to power a 1080 tv?

Yes its extremely common for laptop computers to down clock their processor while running on the battery and run it at full clock speed while it's plugged in.

Until Nintendo says something else officially, it is only natural to go with the scenario that Nintendo themselves have clearly drawn up. NX as the operating system, several types of NX hardware released over time that can play the same games. This thus being the first rumoured hardware.

This is my current viewpoint as well.

True, for all we know the current rumors are for a SKU that won't be released until next August and what we are getting in March is completely different.

That would be insane if that happened, lol.

KAL2006

Banned
I think Nintendo has a chance to grab both handheld and console markets to make a mild success out of the NX. That's only if they release 2 SKUs that target both price points

As we know from 3DS launch disaster $250 launch price is out of the question

So they should price it like this
NX System - $200 (match n3DSXL price)
NX System and Docking Station - $270 ($30 lower than the XB1S price)

They should ensure the docking station allows for enhanced graphic capabilities or it would then be perceived as just a handheld with TV Out. This also needs to be marketed well.

radcliff

I think Nintendo has a chance to grab both handheld and console markets to make a mild success out of the NX. That's only if they release 2 SKUs that target both price points

They should ensure the docking station allows for enhanced graphic capabilities or it would then be perceived as just a handheld with TV Out. This also needs to be marketed well.

Maybe:

- $200 Handheld only
- $250 Handheld and "dumb" dock that allows you to play handheld titles on TV but with no increase in performance (other than resolution boost so it looks decent on a TV)
- $299 Handheld and "smart" dock (with SDC) allowing for an increase in performance to around/slightly above XB1 and PS4 levels.

NX System Basic - $150 (smaller, no detachable controllers)

I added one in for ya.

Maybe:

- $200 Handheld only
- $250 Handheld and "dumb" dock that allows you to play handheld titles on TV but with no increase in performance (other than resolution boost so it looks decent on a TV)
- $299 Handheld and "smart" dock (with SDC) allowing for an increase in performance to around/slightly above XB1 and PS4 levels.

Thats even more confusing than the Wii U value proposition

Gabe3208

Banned
So many people upset about stupid shit. Sheesh!

The feelings of entitlement and "give me this, give me that." Enjoy whatever the fuck they put out, or don't buy the damn thing and go spend your money on something else.

So tired of the bitches, moans, and groans. Constructive criticism is perfectly fine, but some people just drop by to say stupid shit like "They'll never beat so and so." Or "they need to go 3rd party." Annoying when idiots drop by and instead of adding to the conversation, contribute absolutely nothing.

☮ & ❤️

Septimius

No, I mean to say that Nintendo doesn't see big profits for themselves going after the "I want Nintendo games on a really powerful system" clientele.

Whether they'll have success netting both the fans of their handheld and console output with the NX or whether it's more likely they won't get either because of this compromise, I can't say.

Ah, right! I think it's silly to make an expensive product at the cost of power for these gimmicks, like the Wii U pad and now this hybrid thing. I'm sure they could make something on par with PS4 or more if they simply made a console, and it'd still cost the same.

Maybe:

- $200 Handheld only

Too many SKUs at launch. They should just sell the handheld by itself and then sell any docks separately.

MuchoMalo

Banned
So I saw NateDrake said on Twitter he received more info that would expand on certain elements of this whole thing leading to fears and worries to rest a bit. Did he say anything about it here? Can't seem to find it

Edit: just went through his post history but nothing interesting on the matter that I could see lol
Oh well maybe later today.

Please be that it's Tegra Parker with an external GPU dock containing a GP107 with 750 Ti-like specs.

It's never going to happen, but it really fucking should.

Edit: Actually, it's most likely the screen size and resolution.

Is Emily still even relevant at this point?

Considering the fact that she nailed everything about NX hardware on the nose, absolutely.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
More than 2 SKUs at launch is a marketing nightmare. I think 1 SKU is most probable scenario, but I can see also the handheld sold separately for a cheaper price.

I know it's not impossible for Nintendo to have multiple SKUs at launch but I think it's in their best interest to not, unless it's just storage capacity differences, or regular and XL version of the handheld screen.

TLZ

Banned
Same eurogamer tell, and more. Two months ago and telling that in July we will hear more about NX.

It's more in legit right now.

If what he's saying is true about the egpus, which I think are the scds, then that's probably the missing link. I'd be totally happy with that.

No idea what the N1 is.

More than 2 SKUs at launch is a marketing nightmare. I think 1 SKU is most probable scenario, but I can see also the handheld sold separately for a cheaper price.

Now that I think about it, you're probably right. At launch, I don't see them doing more than two SKUs.

KAL2006

Banned
Too many SKUs at launch. They should just sell the handheld by itself and then sell any docks separately.

No because that would give an impression this is primarily a handheld.

2 SKUs is not confusing at all. Dock and Dockless. And down the line they can sell a dock on its own for people who want to upgrade.

Or they can sell 1 SKU at launch with is the docked version and down the line they can sell the Dockless SKU.

The dock needs to have the ability to at the least upres the games. If it is just tv out then this would be seen as just another handheld but with tv out feature.

They dont have to sell TWO skus guys come on. Yall need to be around product.

Ipad Pro is advertised with the keyboard.. yet its sold seperately. The SCD will become an accesory for tv. Theres no reason for bundling or double skus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom