• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfried

Nintendo, reveal the goddamn thing already.
image.php

Nintendo: "No."

Roland1979

I'm not feeling another tablet based console at all. I'll wait for the final design but since it will most likely lack third party support on top of it i might skip this one.

Pokemon Diamond and Pearl remakes on the NX. Mark my wooorrdds.
Considering BW2 came out a year after 3DS and no third version for Gen 6 I expect DP remakes on 3DS Nov 2017. The alternative is two new generations in a row without remake/third version, or remake coming first to a new system, both of which is odd as hell, but I guess we'll see.

Edit: Oh and we're totally getting R/G remakes too. Remakes of remakes WILL HAPPEN for every gen eventually D: :D

I hope it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to replace/fix the screen if it gets damaged like the gamepad. However, I have no faith in Nintendo learning from their mistake.

wrowa

But what would really be the point in remaking the Gen 1 games again, especially when Diamond/Pearl are next in line to be remade? As stated numerous times, the Pokémon GO hype would already be dead by the time the NX rolls by (& GO will probably be at Gen 2 by then), so there's really no point in capitalizing on GO's hype.

Regardless of Go, the first generation has a ton of nostalgia attached to it that later generations quite simply lack. This is just something Go further underlinded. Hardcore Pokemon fans might not be interested in revisiting the first generation, but Red and Blue have a much, much larger mainstream appeal than any of the following generations.

Whether that's enough to get these people to actually buy an NX is a different topic, obviously.

psyfi

Banned
Übermatik;212068965 said:
I can't see Nintendo designing two control schemes for their games where one format has reduced buttons...?
People keep saying this, and I keep pointing to the Wii remote. Nintendo used it for a ton of multiplayer games, and it was extremely limited. ChrisRo's mock-up demonstrates the idea pretty well, I think. It's pretty much exactly what I imagined. Yes, not all games will be playable with the detached controllers probably, but plenty of Nintendo's games feature simple controls anyways.

Banned
I hope it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to replace/fix the screen if it gets damaged like the gamepad. However, I have no faith in Nintendo learning from their mistake.
Wouldn't it be nice to just buy a new one in stores? Couldn't even do that with the gamepad lol.

Birathen

What if we've been over thinking the design?

2 basic controllers, freeform touch screens, 3ds tech, same button layout.
Motion controller for TV and or 2 player mobile connected by a wire.

F4qgw7B.jpg

I call it Nintendo 3D Bros

Are you telling me the NX will be powered by TWO carbatteries?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Well if you gotta include WSJ, then you have to take in consideration ALL of WSJ. Which includes the time they stated NX is a handheld and home console and will be sold together which now people are only saying the EG rumor is the only NX.

The same WSJ that practically suggested that might be a hybrid back in Oct. 2015?

People familiar with the development plans said Nintendo would likely include both a console and at least one mobile unit that could either be used in conjunction with the console or taken on the road for separate use.

How does this make for another NX? It's the same concept, it's not a different NX. Certainly doesn't suggest anything about a different console to be sold separately.

Has anyone considered yet that the two detachable controllers might not actually be two controllers?

Perhaps its like two halves of a single controller, so that when the console is docked you "snap" them off and put them together so you can play from the couch using a standard gamepad?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I haven't been this excited for new hardware since the Vita. I haven't been praying so hard for hardware to be successful since the Vita. I'm so desperate for Nintendo to nail this. I'm liking what I'm hearing. I'm essentially just looking at this as a Vita successor that can play Nintendo games.

R00bot

I haven't been this excited for new hardware since the Vita. I haven't been praying so hard for hardware to be successful since the Vita. I'm so desperate for Nintendo to nail this. I'm liking what I'm hearing. I'm essentially just looking at this as a Vita successor that can play Nintendo games.

Don't say that! You'll doom the NX!

kagamin

I wasn't excited for the Vita, but I own one anyways for all 3 Project Diva games (plus some others but who cares about them ;P).

The same WSJ that practically suggested that might be a hybrid back in Oct. 2015?

How does this make for another NX? It's the same concept, it's not a different NX. Certainly doesn't suggest anything about a different console to be sold separately.
It doesnt make sense in the context of people saying the dock is just a dock

G.ZZZ

This is my idea for detachable controllers from the "side" that are both fully functional.

1awkxql.png

Size: 15 cm x 13.5 cm x 2cm (6"x 5.3" x 0.8") (210 cm^2 surface, or about 45% bigger than a closed N3dsXL, and 40% smaller than an open one)
Controllers size: 11 cm x 4.5 cm x 1.4 cm thick (4.2"x 1.8"x 0.55")

Not pictured cause dumb: triggers. They would be a bit distant from the main control. Size: this is almost exactly NES-size controllers. The screen is 5" with 16/9 aspect ratio.

The controllers enter from the bottom and they "click" in mechanically, like a cart, but obviously with no electronic contacts. The body of the controllers are about half an inch thick (like the lower side of the New3DS), except where the buttons and circle pads are, where they are a bit thinner to allow for the button and pad to slide under the main body. The main body would about 0.7 inches thick, a bit less than a New3DS closed. The other end of the controller under the screen would allow you to use triggers via an opening in the back of the main casing. When detached, the NX would be T-shaped.

The biggest problem with this design are the triggers and the lack of a cross stick. They triggers aren't comfortable as they should be. and the cross stick can't be placed in a position that make sense both vertically and horizontally. But in term of mechanical sturdiness this is the best i can think of. The controllers get blocked in like a cart on two different sides and slide inside of guides.

Another example with controllers sliding in from the sides:

7nTUHmP.png

Approximate Size: 23 cm x 10 cm x 2 cm thick (9"x 4"x 0.8") (230 cm^2 surface, or about 60% bigger than a closed N3DSXL and 25% smaller than an open one)
Controller size: 11.5 cm x 5 cm x 1.4 cm thick (4.5"x 2" x 0.55")

With controllers slideable in this way, the triggers are way more serviceable and you can have the cross again. The dimensions of the controllers are slightly bigger (5+cm x 11.5+cm, same thickness and general design), but the concept of sliding in holes with guides and click in like carts is the same. How comfortable would something like this be? I have no idea. Keep in mind this is still smaller than the WiiU gamepad, and they managed to make it, as huge as it was, comfortable, so i guess making something like this comfortable is possible too . This has much more serviceable triggers, is about as sturdy as the from below design , and the size isn't outrageously big. The analog sticks still sucks (think 3dsXL) because of how you have to fit it in the casing, but you can have a cross stick again. But compared to all those mockups with 3" controllers? This is like a sidewinder pro in comparison. Also keep in mind this would be primarily a mobile console, so it's no surprise the controls would be mobile-level of comfort: aka low.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It doesnt make sense in the context of people saying the dock is just a dock

We don't know what the dock is. You're focusing too much on the world console in that report. And you shouldn't because we don't know how the information was actually transmitted in Oct. 2015. That was the first devkit sent out, the concept probably wasn't very clear for the developers yet, so some confusion could easily have happened.

The very same author now backs up Eurogamer rumours from his sources.

We don't know what the dock is. You're focusing too much on the world console in that report. And you shouldn't because we don't know how the information was actually transmitted in Oct. 2015. That was the first devkit sent out, the concept probably wasn't very clear for the developers yet, so some confusion could easily have happened.

The very same author now backs up Eurogamer rumours from his sources.
I guess..

Sources Smorshes I'll believe when Nintendo show it. Right now I dont believe a damn thing. And you know what..? Im content with that. I'll be satisfied either way.

Eurogamer never said anything about the dock powering up the NX. For all we know it sits in the dock and you can play handheld games on your tv.

Fredrik

Nintendo has mentioned NX several times but these rumors don't quite add up to a few of the things they said.

If these rumors are true then what's the entirely new concept Nintendo talked about?

And if it uses a new CPU/GPU architecture then how will NX absorb WiiU?

Nintendo has mentioned NX several times but these rumors don't quite add up to a few of the things they said.

If these rumors are true then what's the entirely new concept Nintendo talked about?

Remasters like others of course

Hermii

I doubt Iwata ever meant cpu gpu or instruction set when he was talking about architecture to investors.

It will absorb some of the ideas of Wii U, like maybe streaming, two screens, gyroscope, amiibo etc. Also he said that years ago NX probably wasn't fully concorptualized.

A little bit off topic, but I have noticed a bunch of places seem to have limited to no stock of the New 3DS consoles. Even Amazon UK only have a few SKUs that they sell themselves.

ksamedi

Eurogamer never said anything about the dock powering up the NX. For all we know it sits in the dock and you can play handheld games on your tv.

I don't think that makes sense because games would look worse then Wii U because of low resolution. If the marketing message is "play your games on the go" as Eurogamer implies, then I would expect a console that is more powerful than Wii U atleast, can get some third party ports and be playable on the go. That's how I see
It All this discussion about power levels is interesting but there is just too much pessimism at the moment I think.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Doom getting an NX port? Shut up and take my money.
A 386 can run DOOM, so it shouldn't be much of a problem for NX. ;)

Seriously though, with Vulkan likely fully supported on NX a DOOM (2016) port shouldn't be an impossibility.

From a technical standpoint, what would be the likelihood of this being 3DS backward compatible? I know it says no BC in the title, but I wasn't sure if it was just referring to Wii U BC or both.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
It's august... how many more days until we get a press release for the unveiling?
If a press release regarding NX reveal will be issued in August, I think one can safely assume it will either be published before August 10 or after August 16, considering Nintendo Co., Ltd. will be closed between August 10-16 due to holidays.

I don't think that makes sense because games would look worse then Wii U because of low resolution. If the marketing message is "play your games on the go" as Eurogamer implies, then I would expect a console that is more powerful than Wii U atleast, can get some third party ports and be playable on the go. That's how I see
It All this discussion about power levels is interesting but there is just too much pessimism at the moment I think.
A lot a lot of western gamers are going to be disappointed. They care about power and graphics.

Zoon

A lot a lot of western gamers are going to be disappointed. They care about power and graphics.

I think it's more correct to say they want 3rd party support. But, the truth is that even if Nintendo released a 6TF console at 300$, it would still get the same amount of 3rd party support that the rumored X1 handheld will. Power was never a problem.

Oregano

Press release after the new Tegra is announced and they'll mention something like "utilising technology from Nvidia's Tegra X2" or something equally vague.

Or would that be uncharacteristic of Nintendo?

Galava

Press release after the new Tegra is announced and they'll mention something like "utilising technology from Nvidia's Tegra X2" or something equally vague.

Or would that be uncharacteristic of Nintendo?

I see more likely them promoting the NX chip as a "combined effort of Nvidia and Nintendo", rather than "Nvidia did this chip".

Your Vita prayers weren't answered :-(

But just like you, I'm rooting for this. But I'll also be rooting for Neo. And for Xbox One S and Scorpio. Gaming these days is great. What a time to be alive.

thefro

From a technical standpoint, what would be the likelihood of this being 3DS backward compatible? I know it says no BC in the title, but I wasn't sure if it was just referring to Wii U BC or both.

I think the question is whether it would take physical 3DS carts. I think getting 3DS games running on the thing through emulation would be fairly easily, although the aspect ratio might be a little awkward.

maxcriden

Has anyone considered yet that the two detachable controllers might not actually be two controllers?

Perhaps its like two halves of a single controller, so that when the console is docked you "snap" them off and put them together so you can play from the couch using a standard gamepad?

This was my initial expectation, but Eurogamer tweeted after their article that the controllers are specifically two separate, individual detachable controllers.

I doubt Iwata ever meant cpu gpu or instruction set when he was talking about architecture to investors.

It will absorb some of the ideas of Wii U, like maybe streaming, two screens, gyroscope, amiibo etc. Also he said that years ago NX probably wasn't fully concorptualized.

I wonder if this is the quote I've been looking for. Do you have it handy? I thought Iwata-san had said something about Wii U VC architecture being absorbed or carried forward to future systems.

This was my initial expectation, but Eurogamer tweeted after their article that the controllers are specifically two separate, individual detachable controllers.

Well, assuming the article has some credibility, I think that particular element is probably wrong. I don't see a way that can work without severely hindering the gameplay experience

I think it's more correct to say they want 3rd party support. But, the truth is that even if Nintendo released a 6TF console at 300$, it would still get the same amount of 3rd party support that the rumored X1 handheld will. Power was never a problem.

People will refuse to believe this, but it's the truth.

Mithos

People will refuse to believe this, but it's the truth.

Then Nintendo can shut down shop now, why prolong the suffering?

I want Nintendo to shut down every single excuse possible for 3rd parties to make about why they do not support Nintendo hardware, so the only thing left is...

Well we've not made any games on Nintendo hardware for so long so the audience is not there and those few who are still there, well they do not trust us to deliver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom