• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volotaire

Lol! Yes ign and their source knew about this now after Eurogamer had to report it first? Whatever man all these websites are trying to get hits and piggybacking

IGN said they had a couple conflicting reports about this.

- Controller snaps off and snaps together

Have to correct myself after re-watching it, Andrew added some speculation that a 3rd part would be added (not rumoured). Apologies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4ZXRPXoTh0 (Timestamp 51:50)

sikkinixx

Man I really hope VC is on this thing and it doesn't have to start from zero again.

Is it too much to ask to have Super Metroid, A Link to the Past, Super Mario Bros. 3, Oracle of Ages, Minish Cap, Earthbound, Wario Land, Super Mario RPG, Wave Race 64, Last Blade 2, and Kirby 64 on one device without having to buy these games three times?

With Nintendo: yes.

Think about how long it took them to put all that shit on Wii U. The system was already dead once they finally got around to it.

On that same note, some of us have also been speculating that different HH add-on attachable controllers could be sold in lieu of the basic ones, like for certain games or genres.

Also, the only thing that makes me slightly wary of the idea coming to fruition is that Nintendo typically likes as few extra pieces for consumers to keep track of as possible.

Right, and I'd be scared about misplacing control modules. Plus managing so many loose parts could become tedious.

Lexxon

I don't get it, the Wii Virtual Console sort have did that and if I have a WiiU I see no need to really get this, unless I plan on taking it on the go with me all the time. I'm trying to be optimistic but this does nothing different based off the rumors. Kudos for the 3ds owners I guess, I'll just wait and see.

The Virtual Console could have been so much more. To me, it was just an expensive nightmare, starting on Wii when my 2-4 games didn't transfer to my new Wii due to some kind of oddity (no account system), then having to pay for upgrades on Wii U, no compatibility with the portables, etc etc etc...

If Nintendo could have all console/portable Virtual Console support, out of the box, for NX right off the bat, with promises for free upgrades to new consoles, lower prices to be far more reasonable, etc...they'd have a cash cow on their hands. Until then, die-hards will keep using homebrew or dedicated hardware for emulation.

zflOQG.jpg

The old Wii prototype controller in the upper right would be one solution to the dpad/button problem. Just put the dpad on one side and ABXY on the other. Yeah, it could break, but to me, it's better than sacrificing the dpad or needing 2 different controller types.

...I'm honestly surprised they would ever consider giving up the cross shaped dpad, though. Lots of crazy ideas in that time. Chedder Cheese, of course, takes the cake.

dtm808

Man I really hope VC is on this thing and it doesn't have to start from zero again.

Is it too much to ask to have Super Metroid, A Link to the Past, Super Mario Bros. 3, Oracle of Ages, Minish Cap, Earthbound, Wario Land, Super Mario RPG, Wave Race 64, Last Blade 2, and Kirby 64 on one device without having to buy these games three times?

All your digital purchases are tracked on eshop/NNID now so while they may have to re-port the games over, you shouldn't have to re-buy them.

gafneo

Banned
What if we've been over thinking the design?

2 basic controllers, freeform touch screens, 3ds tech, same button layout.
Motion controller for TV and or 2 player mobile connected by a wire.

F4qgw7B.jpg

I call it Nintendo 3D Bros

Lol! Yes ign and their source knew about this now after Eurogamer had to report it first? Whatever man all these websites are trying to get hits and piggybacking

One outlet gets a scoop, other outlets subsequently corroborate it.

This is completely mundane journalistic practice. Anyone who thinks there's something shady, sinister, or suspicious about it has no idea what they're talking about.

(and LOL at the idea of the fuckin' Wall Street Journal posting clickbait)

This is completely mundane journalistic practice. Anyone who thinks there's something shady, sinister, or suspicious about it has no idea what they're talking about.

What did WSJ say? Last year they said kits were going out and it was reported it was a console AND a mobile unit. I don't care what IGN says. If they had a source who could get this info, then why not say it?

I can believe Eurogamer, but it doesn't mean I have to believe everybody else who all of a sudden knew this...I mean remember the fake screen controller from a few months ago that appeared online? Remember how all of a sudden some of these people and their sources heard the same thing, then in the end the guy came clean and said he made it from a 3D printer lol!

Banned
What if we've been over thinking the design?

2 basic controllers, freeform touch screens, 3ds tech, same button layout.
Motion controller for TV and or 2 player mobile connected by a wire.

F4qgw7B.jpg

I call it Nintendo 3D Bros

Oh my god, my eyes!

What did WSJ say? Last year they said kits were going out and it was reported it was a console AND a mobile unit. I don't care what IGN says. If they had a source who could get this info, then why not say it?

I can believe Eurogamer, but it doesn't mean I have to believe everybody else who all of a sudden knew this...I mean remember the fake screen controller from a few months ago that appeared online? Remember how all of a sudden some of these people and their sources heard the same thing, then in the end the guy came clean and said he made it from a 3D printer lol!

Journalists hear a lot of shit. A guy from Game Informer heard that the NX might not have face buttons (keep in mind that story wasn't actually published in Game Informer). If an outlet has information that they're confident in posting, then they're going to post it. And subsequently other outlets who might have heard the same thing are going to corroborate what they've heard. This happens all the time. A guy on 4chan leaked Assassin's Creed Empires hours before Kotaku published their report on it when hearing the same thing.

WSJ said it was a console with a unit you could take with you on the go. That still sounds similar and things change in R&D all the time. So instead of two standalone units, we're basically getting one. Judging from all the rumors though it seems like portability is going to play a big part in the NX.

MuchoMalo

Banned

The portable = Mobile unit
Dock + portable = console

It's not that hard, and they've recently called it a hybrid so that's a moot point anyway. As for why sites like IGN didn't report on it first, it's simple: they don't report on everything they hear right away. They wait until either they have enough sources to feel confident or someone else reports on it. That's how the industry works. These sites would all look like massive clickbait sites if they reported on every single rumor they're given.

Übermatik;212068965 said:
I don't get the whole 'two detachable controllers' speculation - I interpreted the leak as if those two detachable parts met in the middle to form one controller should you prefer (tabletop screen + one control pad OR 'handheld' screen-in-the-middle combination)...
I can't see Nintendo designing two control schemes for their games where one format has reduced buttons...? It seems weird. If it's 2 controllers, wouldn't they be awfully small? You'd also have to sacrifice analogue sticks for D-pads, surely?

Basically this:

p9Ut76Jm.png

Rather than this:

YPPOwSHm.png

(Super shitty 2 min Photoshop)
Don't worry, the drawing conveys the idea perfectly.

That would be the most simple and basic idea, similar to the attachment controls we see in tablets and smartphones. But it adds some extra bulk in the device thought.

Also we should consider that it would be a waste if the detachable controllers don't work like Wii Remotes. Not only because of new games that would use the interface but because of the Wii library as it would be of interest to Nintendo to play all their generations of games in one device.
zflOQG.jpg

The old Wii prototype controller in the upper right would be one solution to the dpad/button problem. Just put the dpad on one side and ABXY on the other. Yeah, it could break, but to me, it's better than sacrificing the dpad or needing 2 different controller types.

...I'm honestly surprised they would ever consider giving up the cross shaped dpad, though. Lots of crazy ideas in that time. Chedder Cheese, of course, takes the cake.
That could work... But do you think it's worth it? A short travel thumbstick or circle pad could feel rather close to the Dpad functionality while having more granular control and working better for combinaded directions.

And well, if we follow the path of solutions of this type one could come up with thousands of them. From collapsing (think a telescope) controllers to use the 4 face buttons in Wii and NES mode all the way to have sliding pieces.

It would be in their best interest to go as far as having the detachable controllers, adding even more complexity than that could open a Pandora box of problems.

This is why im fond of stuff like trackpads or capacitive surfaces, while they are not the best in terms of feedback they simplify the interface quite a bit and have a lot of flexibility.

TLZ

Banned
This is not from Nintendo but from Big Ben:
327173-inlay-details-BB_325928_02.png

gamers.png

I love. Greatly.

In all honesty this is exactly what I had in mind the NX would be like, especially Eurogamer saying "brain within controllers" (or some sort). I imagined the NX is the controller that can be stretched accordingly to fit any smartphone/tablet, which will be used as the screen obviously. This was they won't be competing with smart portable market, rather take full advantage of them.

Of course I might be completely wrong, but it's just my imagination trying to comprehend everything I've read and forming a conclusive picture that would benefit them without competing with anyone and simply working with them.

EDarkness

The portable = Mobile unit
Dock + portable = console

It's not that hard, and they've recently called it a hybrid so that's a moot point anyway. As for why sites like IGN didn't report on it first, it's simple: they don't report on everything they hear right away. They wait until either they have enough sources to feel confident or someone else reports on it. That's how the industry works. These sites would all look like massive clickbait sites if they reported on every single rumor they're given.

That's not a console. Especially if the dock doesn't do anything. It's just a handheld connected to the TV. There would be nothing gained by doing this. Which is why I'm hoping the dock actually does something.

AzaK

OK, so in an attempt to help this thread get to WUST levels of insanity, what about this as an idea (Taking rumours, patents and insane desires into account).

There is no augmented dock (a-la SCD) as we have been discussing previously but the dock itself can handle more than one NX being docked into it. When additional units are docked, then THOSE become effectively the SCD's.

I see a few advantages over an actual augmented dock.

1) Just one dock SKU to sell. I was thinking an augmented would be optional therefore requiring a basic HDMI/Charge dock for most users.
2) Nintendo can make money selling multiple units
3) People get multiple handholds to share amongst their house but get the advantage of combining them for the "console" experience.
4) Going forward Nintendo don't have to sell more beefier docks, they just upgrade the NX. I think this might be easier to swallow for people than having to buy a new dock for more power.

The software engineering side would be a bit of a nightmare but they could simplify it if all the secondary unit did was provide additional GPU, forgoing the CPU side.

I would also guess price would have to be very reasonable if they were going to go this route as I doubt families would want to buy 2xUS$250 consoles.

Who said wall street was click bait?

tronic307

Man, Trevelyan9999 is really tripling down on this.

https://twitter.com/SMetaldave64/status/759803617163354112
Is it just that Trev thinks ARM is weak so NX must be x86? Does he understand that a Jaguar x86 core is about on par with an ARM A53 and thus doesn't rule out the NX CPU being faster than PS4? Does the GPU need to be even as fast though? Has an NX console been ruled out 100% yet? A console with a hypothetical AMD K12 ARM APU would be able to run the same games and OS as Tegra and destroy PS4. It's just not available yet; AMD has no real mobile tech because they're likely too broke for the R&D. Maybe that's what his 'sources' are saying? The AMD ARM win maybe?? Even then, it's not as if Nvidia couldn't best PS4 handily with the right ARM-based SOC but maybe Nintendo doesn't or shouldn't even care about that right now.

Banned
Is it just that Trev thinks ARM is weak so NX must be x86? Does he understand that a Jaguar x86 core is about on par with an ARM A53 and thus doesn't rule out the NX CPU being faster than PS4? Does the GPU need to be even as fast though? Has an NX console been ruled out 100% yet? A console with a hypothetical AMD K12 ARM APU would be able to run the same games and OS as Tegra and destroy PS4. It's just not available yet; AMD has no real mobile tech because they're likely too broke for the R&D. Maybe that's what his 'sources' are saying? The AMD ARM win maybe?? Even then, it's not as if Nvidia couldn't best PS4 handily with the right ARM-based SOC but maybe Nintendo doesn't or shouldn't even care about that right now.

According to his videos, he believes porting from ARM to x86 is easier than porting from x86 to ARM. So he believes that the NX console would play handheld games and the handheld won't play all the console games. Also, it requires less porting work for third parties to port their XB1/PS4/PC games to the NX console if it's x86 instead of ARM.

ARM CPU's are better than any x86 chip inside the PS4, XB1, XB1S and Neo. The A72 would be incredible for a console especially at 14nm and clocked above 2.0Ghz.

Edit: Also, his main argument is most third party game engines are designed for the lead platforms (PS4 and Xbox One) which use x86. Therefore, it's imperative NX is also x86 if they want to reduce as many barriers as possible to getting AAA third party support.

Man...

The idea that all of Nintendo's games will be on one console is mind-boggling to me. Just imagine all the flagship titles they're known for being able to be played on screen and also on the go, titles such as Mario, Zelda, Pokemon's handheld versions just everything on one console. Wow. As someone who's always hated having to pick one Nintendo platform (I usually had handheld and console but still) this is great. I don't have to say "ok I'll get this handheld now and get the console later", I can say "ok I'll just get this" and be good with it. They can also come out with a higher rate of releases too.

This is dope.
Yeah, not only is the output supposed to increase in quantity, but I guess I haven't thought much of just what the systems will get. Until this generation handhelds didn't get 3D Mario games and 3D Zelda games while the consoles didn't get Pokemon nor Monster Hunter.
In Japan it's very likely that the first year of the system will have a 3D Mario, Monster Hunter (maybe a port), Breath of the Wild, and maybe a new Pokemon game.
I think that'll appeal to a lot of people.

MuchoMalo

Banned
According to his videos, he believes porting from ARM to x86 is easier than porting from x86 to ARM. So he believes that the NX console would play handheld games and the handheld won't play all the console games. Also, it requires less porting work for third parties to port their XB1/PS4/PC games to the NX console if it's x86 instead of ARM.

ARM CPU's are better than any x86 chip inside the PS4, XB1, XB1S and Neo. The A72 would be incredible for a console especially at 14nm and clocked above 2.0Ghz.

16nm*

Yeah, not only is the output supposed to increase in quantity, but I guess I haven't thought much of just what the systems will get. Until this generation handhelds didn't get 3D Mario games and 3D Zelda games while the consoles didn't get Pokemon nor Monster Hunter.
In Japan it's very likely that the first year of the system will have a 3D Mario, Monster Hunter (maybe a port), Breath of the Wild, and maybe a new Pokemon game.
I think that'll appeal to a lot of people.

Zero chance of a mainline Pokemon game coming to NX before 2019.

TLZ

Banned
Nope. She hasn't been wrong in the past couple years. Mother 3 still has time to show up, and the Zelda rumors can still be true if Nintendo wasn't ready to announce female Link. (And the old man in demo not having voice acting could be because its a demo and hasn't been recorded yet.)

I'll still put 100% faith in those rumors because she hasn't let me down. But if she's wrong, she's wrong. I know she tries to get facts and so far she has done well. But if she gets bad info that just happens sometimes. But until no Mother 3 this year and until BotW releases I still believe. I still believe anyways because i know she wouldn't misreport on purpose.

The same could be said about Trev too though. Nothing is certain until official reveal.

How do these vague, highly subjective, marketing terms disprove what Eurogamer reported?

Because this

It doesn't help that a lot of this info goes against what Nintendo has said in the past.

"What we mean by integrating platforms is not integrating handhelds devices and home consoles to make only one machine."

WSJ explicitly called it a hybrid, in an article by the same guy who wrote that story last fall.

Portugeezer

I love. Greatly.

In all honesty this is exactly what I had in mind the NX would be like, especially Eurogamer saying "brain within controllers" (or some sort). I imagined the NX is the controller that can be stretched accordingly to fit any smartphone/tablet, which will be used as the screen obviously. This was they won't be competing with smart portable market, rather take full advantage of them.

Of course I might be completely wrong, but it's just my imagination trying to comprehend everything I've read and forming a conclusive picture that would benefit them without competing with anyone and simply working with them.

If you read carefully that is not what they meant, and honestly I don't know why they tried to write something so simple in such a weird way.

Neoxon

The smart money's on going back to Red and Blue to capitalize off the Pokemon Go Original 151 hype.
They kinda already did that with X/Y. My guesses are for Gen 8 for the NX with remakes for Diamond/Pearl. Plus, Pokémon GO is likely gonna get more Pokémon in the near future, not to mention that the hype for GO isn't gonna be as potent by the time the NX comes out.

Neoxon

I know Game Freak is pretty shitty about this, but with no BC they'd be actively deterring purchases and I'd imagine even Sun and Moon would benefit with its 3D engine
So you think they'll port Sun/Moon to the NX? Given their track record with adopting new hardware, I wouldn't get your hopes up. Gen 7 will most likely be the 3DS's last hurrah, which would be timed pretty well since they'll launch 4 months before the NX does.

They kinda already did that with X/Y. My guesses are for Gen 8 for the NX with remakes for Diamond/Pearl. Plus, Pokémon GO is likely gonna get more Pokémon in the near future, not to mention that the hype for GO isn't gonna be as potent by the time the NX comes out.
No they didnt do it with XY. We're talking about directly

Neoxon

No they didnt do it with XY. We're talking about directly
But the point is that we already had our Gen 1 remakes with Fire Red/Leaf Green, & they did a shit-ton of Gen 1 nostalgia bait with X/Y. Plus trying to take advantage of the GO hype would be pointless by the time the NX comes out since Pokémon GO would be well past its prime by then.

Neoxon

Because those were for the GBA, three handhelds ago by the time the NX comes out.
But what would really be the point in remaking the Gen 1 games again, especially when Diamond/Pearl are next in line to be remade? As stated numerous times, the Pokémon GO hype would already be dead by the time the NX rolls by (& GO will probably be at Gen 2 by then), so there's really no point in capitalizing on GO's hype.

Edit: Also, his main argument is most third party game engines are designed for the lead platforms (PS4 and Xbox One) which use x86. Therefore, it's imperative NX is also x86 if they want to reduce as many barriers as possible to getting AAA third party support.

This is nonsense. Every major engine has supported Android and by extension, ARM, for quite a while now. Even Frostbite supports Android and iOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom