• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: PS1/PS2 games heading to PlayStation 4

There's no way this would be for discs. It will be PSN only.

That's what i'm thinking. Ps3 already has a software emulator built in for ps2 classics. If you have a modded ps3 you cant convert any ps2 game to play on it and the compatibility is actually pretty decent.

I'm pretty sure you won't need to rebuy them. My PSOne titles were purchased on my PSP and have worked on my PS3 and Vita with no issues at all. I'd be genuinely surprised if anything's changed on that front.

I hope that's the case. I have a nice PS1 collection on my PS3.

I never did buy anything really for PS2 on it...except Rygar because I never played it when it came out on the PS2. It was a bad purchase. :(

RedSwirl

If this is true, this is basically what I expected to happen, at least for PS1 games. I expected PS1 emulation and hoped for PS2 emulation, but never believed Sony would go for PCX2-style resolution improvements. Even if true, the resolution upgrades probably won't happen for every game.

Sony will probably just make the current list of PSOne and PS2 classics available on PSN on PS4. If you've already bought some you'll probably be able to re-download them at no charge (which is what Sony did on the Vita). The real remaining question is if Sony plans to use this emulation to let you play old physical discs. That's how they let you use PS1 discs on PS3, and I think hackers found out unlocked PS3 firmware could run PS2 discs through emulation.

Okami on PS4...

5mPQjR9.gif

It would be beyond amazing.

For Okami I'd rather they just take the PS3 port and bring it over to PS4. The PS3 version of Okami already renders in 4K (and then downsamples to 1080p). I imagine a PS4 port would just display at 4K.

Velkyn

If this is actually going to happen, even more reason for me to get a PS4 as soon as I can find one in stock. My only fear is that some of the more obscure titles in the PS2's library won't find their way to the PS4.

stawnkald

No disc support, no care. I'm cool if they want to sell emulated PS1/2 games for those who don't have certain ones, but for fucks's sake, show some goddamned goodwill for people who have owned the old PS consoles and still have a large collection of discs.

I hope that's the case. I have a nice PS1 collection on my PS3.

I never did buy anything really for PS2 on it...except Rygar because I never played it when it came out on the PS2. It was a bad purchase. :(

It would be a very bad and inconsistent move for them to recharge for games on Ps4

Pretty sure they will maintain the same unified account structure for emulated games that we saw this generation

So then the big question is, will this allow you to use games already purchased on PSN or will you have to rebuy them.

People have already talked about this. It will probably be the same as it always has been. You buy a PS1 game, it works on everything that supports it. There is no "wii u" price.

Dont defend Nintendo's handling of legacy software bro

Even fans think they dropped the ball. Its a convoluted mess.

#1 - Don't tell me what I can or can't do.

#2 - I was just stating facts to his incorrect info. All VC/Wiiware games can be transferred to the WiiU free of charge. There is no convolution with that, it's pretty cut and dry.

Lime

If PS2 games will be able to be played in 1080p through either PSN or one's original discs, then I will literally shit myself.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
If this does happen hopefully they have put a lot of work into the emulator, the better it is the less issues they will have with game compatibility. Which in turn would hopefully mean lots of releases because they wouldn't need to spend much time in QA.

#1 - Don't tell me what I can or can't do.

#2 - I was just stating facts to his incorrect info. All VC/Wiiware games can be transferred to the WiiU free of charge. There is no convolution with that, it's pretty cut and dry.

How Nintendo does it

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/sy...p?menu=how_to&submenu=wup-transfer-ht-content

How Sony does it

Connect to Psn and download purchased game.

But yes that guy was incorrect. It can be done if you follow all the steps.

btkadams

If PS2 games will be able to be played in 1080p through either PSN or one's original discs, then I will literally shit myself.

seriously! i'm feeling the same.

i really really really hope that we will be able to use our discs, since some of my favourites haven't ever been released on psn (ssx, timesplitters, amplitude, tony hawk's pro skater 2).

Empty

ooh hope this is true. i really thought the psnow stuff would screw us on retro support.

and hopefully this will provide incentive for more ps1 classics releases (chrono cross in europe come on)

Mondy

Banned
I'm thinking if they allow you to download the HD PS4 version for free if you already own the game on PSN, it'll be a good sign of things to come on PSNow.

For example, if you bought Brothers on PSN for PS3, they'll allow you to stream it over PSNow for free.

Z3M0G

Is there any chance at all that they could actually allow us to play our PS2 disks?

If so... this would be the best Playstation news EVER.

curb

Banned
No disc support, no care. I'm cool if they want to sell emulated PS1/2 games for those who don't have certain ones, but for fucks's sake, show some goddamned goodwill for people who have owned the old PS consoles and still have a large collection of discs.

Well then you won't care. Why let you use what you have when they can sell it to you again? I'd love it if Sony spread more good will like that but I doubt it will happen.

btkadams

I fear this will make some of my much desired HD remasters less likely.

Dark Cloud 2 and Rogue Galaxy. Sigh.

didn't sony file a patent that talked about retroactively putting trophies in old games? if this emulator can really make games run at native resolution, it could essentially be the same as a rerelease.

It would be a nice gesture but there is no precedent for it.. I wouldn't expect it.

Remember Vita/PSP Umd fiasco?

Well the PS3 still supports disc based PS1 games, so there's that. But since they removed PS2 support for physical games in favor of digital downloads I'm not expecting it either. But yeah, it would be a very nice little extra for those who kept their collections all these years. :>

Mit-

I've always thought publishers would have issues with HD emulation enhancements, but since this would only be for digital titles we'll have to buy again, it would be easy to manage.

For example, many full screen games are not meant to be viewed in widescreen. The extra screen space shows visual blemishes and geometry that were meant to be hidden.

Similarly, certain low res assets and GUIs can look atrocious, not to mention most HUDs being designed for full screen also.

So, a lot of developers might want to tweak their games before they are presented. This is by and large why I never expected this to happen for disc emulation on 360/PS3, and I also knew it would never come to Wii U for Wii games (BUT DOLPHIN HURRR-no. It isn't Nintendo's decision to present other people's games in a format other than they were originally designed for.)

Anyways, this would work fine for rereleases and will essentially make it easy for more developers to release HD updates with minimal work.

Mupod

Would be amazing if it works for PS2 discs (as in, I'd buy a PS4 tomorrow) but I'm not holding my breath.

At least it's good to see that they're not going to try and force that streaming crap on people looking to play older games..

As far as disc versus digital....

There's absolutely no way this is going to be for discs. No incentive for Sony to allow that to happen.

Son Of D

So this means that we can play PS2 discs on PS4 or will it be download titles only? If it's the former, then that could be the closest we get to Viewtiful Joe HD (and knowing Square Enix, we'll get this before FFXII HD on PS3).

Ushiwaka

For Okami I'd rather they just take the PS3 port and bring it over to PS4. The PS3 version of Okami already renders in 4K (and then downsamples to 1080p). I imagine a PS4 port would just display at 4K.

Yeah porting Okami HD to PS4 is even better but that would be up to Capcom. It's unlikely but there's RE4 Ultimate HD on steam after all these years so anything is possible with Capcom. I hope it happens someday.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
PHzJwIh.png

This what PS1 emulator can do for PS1 games in term of "hd enhancement". if PS4 can do something like this it's be nice.

Simzyy

Seeing as the chances of being able to use my PS2 discs on the PS4 are near zero, at least put the games I have on the PSN store.

I don't expect it to run discs, but I would be so psyched if it could run discs. My PS4 would magically change from my expensive Resogun player to one of my most-played consoles. I still have quite a few PS2 games on my shelf I still have to get around to and would love to play them on PS4.

But ultimately, I don't mind hooking up the PS2 and will absolutely not rebuy anything I have that still works.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
didn't sony file a patent that talked about retroactively putting trophies in old games? if this emulator can really make games run at native resolution, it could essentially be the same as a rerelease.

Yes they did, an I'm pretty sure something came out about a similar process from them years ago too. If they can stick trophies into old games, well, that would be pretty darn fanastic. Playing through the old Spyro, Crash, or FF games and having trophies to collect, would make me replay all my old games.

Tiu Neo

If it runs discs: FUCK YEAH.

If it doesn't... fuck. Well, it's good, but there are a lot of great games that can't/won't be released for download, for legal reasons, certification bullshit or because the company that owns the game doesn't care about it. :(

Top Bottom