• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer - Switch screen is 6.2", 720p, Capacitive Multi-Touch, IR sensor

720p is just fine and preferable for a 6.2 inch screen. I do think the screen is really too small to be everything they want it to be though. To rest it on a table top and multiplayer game, or even just single player, and using those tiny joy cons turned sideways.... really seems like it would all work much better with at least an 8--9 inch screen or so. Even in their marketing everyone is all huddled around squinting at this tiny screen, not a good look.

dogen

Downsampling is AA, but it's probably the most resource intensive (and effective) way of doing it.

Down sampling is actually not really that great. If you combine a little bit it with a post process AA or temporal, it's pretty good. By itself it's just as expensive as supersampling, and produces noticeably worse results.

I would imagine devs would try and stay consistent with the FPS across the board ..

IE

Docked 720p upscaled to 1080 @ 60 fps. When you remove from the dock you stay at 720p without scaling @ 60 fps.

If you have a game native 1080p @ 60 fps when taken off the dock it would render at 720p @ 60 fps. It shouldnt really be that hard to be honest.

During the process of being removed from the dock the software will adjust the power levels and graphic settings to accommodate the situation.

No kidding. 720p is a travesty, no question about it.

In a day and age where we have 1440p cell phones that last +/-5 hours of screen on time, not to mention standby, this news is underwhelming. But Nintendo can and has done a lot with less before so if the games are there, it won't matter.

I genuinely want to know in which world 720p is a travesty. It sure as shit is not the one we live in.

A travesty.

Your $500+ 1440p phone won't even play games that are half as complex at 720p, let alone native resolution, for long.

Resolution and camera megapixel wars really did a number on people, it's really disappointing that, even on a hardcore videogame forum like GAF, so many people think bigger number = always better.

antibolo

Banned
Not going to happen. Nintendo is being smart by abandoning anything Wii related.

Would be nice if games could still support Wii/Wii U controllers (other than the GamePad) as optional controllers though. Assuming the Switch has a Bluetooth controller it would require very little effort.

Would be nice if games could still support Wii/Wii U controllers (other than the GamePad) as optional controllers though. Assuming the Switch has a Bluetooth controller it would require very little effort.

I don't think so. It doesn't makes a lot of sense for legacy controllers and accessories to be continuously supported. It's needlessly complicated, even if the effort is low.

LordKano

I don't think so. It doesn't makes a lot of sense for legacy controllers and accessories to be continuously supported. It's needlessly complicated, even if the effort is low.

And that way Nintendo can charge everyone again if they want to play with more than two people. Something they couldn't do on Wii U (since everyone and his dog had Wiimotes).

udivision

Unless there's some actual functional differences between the JoyCon Pro and the GamePad Pro, they should continue support for it even if it's low key.

Top Bottom