• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer - Switch screen is 6.2", 720p, Capacitive Multi-Touch, IR sensor

ggx2ac

6.2 inches is a great size. All I need is better than 3 hour battery life and I think I'm really happy about how this thing turned out.

Since the battery thread was closed, there was this new article.

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/...by-usb-c-cannot-be-charged-in-kickstand-mode/

The move from a proprietary charger standard to a high-capacity, non-proprietary cable may be a move to counter the system’s reported mediocre battery life. Our source at Nintendo suggests that the system’s poor battery life may be mitigated by the ability to quickly charge it using a portable battery pack or a USB port.

It does look like in the picture there is a USB-C port so basically, quick charging the battery in approximately 30 minutes (a phone reference) for a 3 hour battery (Although that was from a dev kit and not retail model) means that there shouldn't be much concerns with having to recharge something if you can do it quickly. (If it's true.)

Fundamentally, slip your PS4 Pro/Scorpio into a bag along with a Switch - when you are on the train, which is the most powerful system at that very moment in time? The one sitting with no power or the handheld?
I think an argument can be made that if you leave your PS4Pro at home and take your Vita, that is the most powerful system. It will play more third-party games than Switch, and at higher graphical settings.

There are drawbacks--the screen is smaller (though also high ppi), fidelity is potentially inconsistent, controls are incomplete, etc. But there are benefits too: the much bigger library mentioned, plus longer battery life, more portability, cheaper, etc.

The power argument will not be what's compelling for Switch. The Nintendo first-party games will be the attraction.

No kidding. 720p is a travesty, no question about it.

In a day and age where we have 1440p cell phones that last +/-5 hours of screen on time, not to mention standby, this news is underwhelming. But Nintendo can and has done a lot with less before so if the games are there, it won't matter.

Thread keeps on delivering. Laughing my ass off.

King_Moc

Banned
I bet something like 3D Mario, MK, or Skyrim would have that battery die in less than half an hour.

Probably true. But then you'd have to find a mobile gpu that could even run them at 1440p first in order to be able to test it.

MDave

720p screen is what I was expecting regardless of rumors before the reveal. At 6.2 inches this makes it as sharp as a Vita screen which no one complained about, not even today. Only sub native res games on Vita were there complaints. Hopefully something Switch developers won't do. I won't buy your games if you do this!

Tegra X1 full clocked performance in handheld mode is also what I was expecting if it uses Pascal/Parker for the cooler running and more efficient chips. I think I'll be right predicting the price hopefully.

random25

Since the battery thread was closed, there was this new article.

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/...by-usb-c-cannot-be-charged-in-kickstand-mode/

It does look like in the picture there is a USB-C port so basically, quick charging the battery in approximately 30 minutes (a phone reference) for a 3 hour battery (Although that was from a dev kit and not retail model) means that there shouldn't be much concerns with having to recharge something if you can do it quickly. (If it's true.)

That's what I wanted. Hopefully this is true for the final product. The slight bummer is the inability to charge it while in kickstand mode.

ggx2ac

That's what I wanted. Hopefully this is true for the final product. The slight bummer is the inability to charge it while in kickstand mode.

I was bummed about that too because I'm used to lying back while resting the 3DS on me while it is charging while playing games however, if the quick charging due to having USB-C is true, then I don't need to have the thing plugged in for 3 hours like the 3DS to recharge the battery and instead be shocked with having it charged to 80% in ~30 minutes.

It's Nintendo their standards are different. They have a lot to overcome. Launching a console in 2017 with 720p on the go handheld is passable. Playing a game on the big screen in 2017 in 720p is... not so much. People look at numbers they do. Not everyone but they want to know they are getting a product that is along with the standards of today. I just think the negative press will be just the same as with Wii U if this is the case. I don't know I guess we will see. I just think it will be some positive press for nintendo to say imagine your favorite game you can take it on the go and play it at 720p and 60fps... and then take it inside and play it on the big screen at 1080p 30pfs. I don't know that just seems better for marking and having good press and people not questioning what your console can do. Like having people laugh at your console, make jokes about it running games, etc (Wii U).

Battlefield 1 runs at 720p on Xbox One
Not all of the time I know don't quote me
. People seem to think that still looks pretty great!

That said, it's not even certain that games won't run at higher resolutions when the Switch is docked (this has been said roughly 240 times ITT).

KonradLaw

I bet something like 3D Mario, MK, or Skyrim would have that battery die in less than half an hour.

Nah. Advanced games eat batteries like crazy, but not that crazy. 3 years ago Razer Edge tablet could last a bit over hour with BioShock Infinite and the tech did get better at using less power.

Non-mobile type of games still are awfully hard on batteries though.

Battlefield 1 runs at 720p on Xbox One
Not all of the time I know don't quote me
. People seem to think that still looks pretty great!

That said, it's not even certain that games won't run at higher resolutions when the Switch is docked (this has been said roughly 240 times ITT).

I see no reason why 1080p games won't run in 1080p on a TV. They'll be downsampled to 720P automatically on the handheld.
This is assuming the Dock will provide the ability for 1080P games to run natively on a TV.
A lot of games will run in 720P anyway, but that's no different than what people are playing on WiiU and XboxOne on their tv sometimes.

Would i like games to run at native 1080P on tv always, sure. But it's Nintendo and they chose the hybrid way.

If i'm wrong i'd love to hear more about why, since it's just my uneducated guess.

King_Moc

Banned
I see no reason why 1080p games won't run in 1080p on a TV. They'll be downsampled to 720P automatically on the handheld.
This is assuming the Dock will provide the ability for 1080P games to run natively on a TV.

No chance. Even if the tablet can do 1080p undocked on a game, they aren't going to massacre battery life for better AA.

Spinluck

pretty pointless argument that's being spun here. a 1080p screen would have even higher PPI so like why do y'all keep bringing that up as if it's some amazing trump card that is destroying people that would like a 1080p resolution? the 3ds has a higher PPI than a 32' 1080p display and that's a fucking tragedy of a screen.

Wut...

I'm lost.

King_Moc

Banned
It's not AA, but it looks as if AA is applied, right?

Downsampling is AA, but it's probably the most resource intensive (and effective) way of doing it. Given the ppi is quite high, they'll probably go with something a lot lower on the requirements and stay rendering at 720p. Some first party Wii U games had no AA at all, so this definitely isn't a priority for them.

Edit: seen your edit....it actually was automatic on the Wii U as the console was still rendering at 720p. I played Mass Effect 3 in 480p on the gamepad rather than my TV as I felt it looked better. That game really does look ridiculous on the gamepad

Downsampling is AA, but it's probably the most resource intensive (and effective) way of doing it. Given the ppi is quite high, they'll probably go with something a lot lower on the requirements and stay rendering at 720p. Some first party Wii U games had no AA at all, so this definitely isn't a priority for them.

Unfortunately.
But thanx. I was mistaking two different things.

Edit: seen your edit....it actually was automatic on the Wii U as the console was still rendering at 720p. I played Mass Effect 3 in 480p on the gamepad rather than my TV as I felt it looked better. That game really does look ridiculous on the gamepad

Yeah, exactly. Thanx

Rondras

Banned
Was it that 720p is the max internal output resolution or just the screen?
It's the screen. Switch will be playable on other resolutions but here peoplw who know nothing about tech are bitching because they have smartphones with 2k... Devices that dont even make use of that resolution for most of their content...

Spinluck

Yep. If they don't hit 1080 while dock watch what happens. I've been saying this and got a lot of resistance. I personally could be okay with 900p. I guess we will see but they have to get every aspect right. So much is riding on this and sadly they are Nintendo. People look for a reason not to buy there consoles or wait until they are dirt cheap. Hopefully along with Nvidia they created something great.

I think a few games will but it won't be a big deal.

DemoCracy

The Switch is not a portable console, it is a home console with portable capability; therefore, it is very important to this console to save possibly battery life in portable mode then a gamer can play a game when is not at home as long as possible.

Gaspard

To be honest though, that's in part because of heavy GPS and mobile data transfers. Without those more advanced mobile games often last longer than Pokemon GO. Altough obviously this doesn't apply much to home console-like games, which are even more demanding.

While that is a fair point, if I use my GO+ to browse the internet while keeping the game in the background my battery life is significantly improved.

My phone is still receiving GPS and mobile data to pick up Pokestops and the like.

Heck, Pokemon GO makes my 1440p phone last for only two hours.

That game is known to be a battery hog no matter the hw used to play the game. The game itself isn't that well optimised on android phones, sure it's been patched since then but outside of new iPhones the game runs poor.

Not a great companion to use, imho.

The best we could hope for is sub Xbone performance on the Switch .. Xbone rendering games at 720-900p was good enough for 30-40 million people playing on TVs lol.

Even when the Wii U was rendering at 720p and scaling to 1080p the games still looked great. If the Switch allows for more performance then they could clean the images up a bit more with AA or rendering at 1080 if possible.

BBboy20

720p console gaming

IN 2016
Folks don't want to pay $600 for a console.

First of all, people aren't stupid because they have other expectations than you have. My biggest concern isn't that the games run in 720p when mobile, I'm okay with that. But I expect a 2017 console which apparently is designed to be a home console first of all - according to Nintendo - gets native 1080p together when connected to a TV. And yes, you can see the difference between 720p and 1080p on a TV. It's huge.
image.php

BreakAtmo

Lol at anyone who expected a 1080p screen 'because phones!'. It would be a massive waste of battery and processing power. On a 6.2-inch screen the difference between 720p and 1080p wouldn't be worth chasing when you could have better models/textures/lighting/framerate. If it turns out that the games are all running at 720p and there's no change from handheld mode to docked mode, that would suck, but hopefully they're being smart and giving us a 720p handheld mode and 1080p docked mode.

SandTorso

Hell yes to the ir sensor, my cats keep destroying my sensor bar cables. Going to plop this sucker next to the TV and call it good.

720p is fine with me as long as the screen is nice. Wii u game pad looked like crap, so of its better than that I'm happy

pretty pointless argument that's being spun here. a 1080p screen would have even higher PPI so like why do y'all keep bringing that up as if it's some amazing trump card that is destroying people that would like a 1080p resolution? the 3ds has a higher PPI than a 32' 1080p display and that's a fucking tragedy of a screen.

in this case here, the Switch will have a comparable PPI to Apple's retina displays. 720p looks just. fine. on a 6 inch screen viewed from a foot or two away.

Especially when considering (something some haven't done yet) that this screen is tethered to a mobile game system. Higher resolution requires more powerful and expensive hardware, reliant upon a higher capacity battery, both requiring an expanded footprint for the device etc

so as far as I'm concerned, I find no merit in suggesting that a better alternative would have been that Nintendo include a higher resolution screen with nonsubstantial and barely discernible visual benefit at the expense of those other elements of the device that I mentioned. Please see how ridiculous that shit is guys

3DS screen has a higher ppi than some TVs, which you're right is kind of irrelevant, mostly because the distance at which they're viewed is different by orders of magnitude. PPI really doesn't mean shit to me if I'm viewing my 60 inch panel from all the way across the room, right?

The Switch will boast retina-esque PPI at a comparable viewing distance to how retina displays are viewed. 1080p would have been -better-, more is usually better, but enough is just fine. Someone explain in no uncertain terms how 720p on this device is a problem, how it represents a bad move on Nintendo's part, how a 1920x1080 screen would serve to legitimately improve the device despite potentially increasing its price point, physical footprint, and battery consumption, etc. pick your poison, I'm not trying to put words into anyone's mouth, I'm just wracking my brain trying to figure out how any of you in here have deemed this resolution a problem, outside of the occasional person saying to themselves, "Hmm, 720p on a modern device sounds a bit low". I can all but guarantee that barring games running at sub-native resolution (the plague of Vita) very very few users of the device will have any problem at all with the handheld resolution in practice.

dogen

I agree with you completely (really, your post kind of just rewrites the exact point I already made). In the context of a portable machine, this is a far better choice than arbitrarily going with 1080p. All I'm saying is that the leap in resolution from 720p to 1080p could never be described as barely noticeable.

If this was a standard tablet, it would be pretty bad, actually. And not just because of the marketing spec war; you'll spend more time zooming in to get things like comics readable.

For games, on a screen that small, I'm far more concerned with a resolution that keeps everything performing smoothly and gives developers a reasonable target for keeping their games native res.

Yeah, only the first sentence was towards you. Everything else was my opinion of complaining about it not being 1080p

Steejee

I was bummed about that too because I'm used to lying back while resting the 3DS on me while it is charging while playing games however, if the quick charging due to having USB-C is true, then I don't need to have the thing plugged in for 3 hours like the 3DS to recharge the battery and instead be shocked with having it charged to 80% in ~30 minutes.

The impression that I get is that there's not any sort of built-in restriction on that, it's purely the physical placement of the USB-C plug. If that's the case then a portable charging cradle wouldn't be hard to do, or even just something like a right-angle USB-C plug (something like https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FQ7IJT6/?tag=neogaf0e-20) would probably do. Also means just holding it instead of putting it on the stand would be fine for charging while playing.

Edit - I'm personally in the '3 hours is alright, especially with quick charge' boat. Rare that I have three hours to play games where I wouldn't be able to plug in or charge. Even times that I am away from power that long I'm typically ready to read or do something else after two hours of gaming. I could definitely see it being more of an issue for other people though. Wonder what sort of time an external battery could give...

dogen

He didn't reply to me. I think the argument for why 720 is *perfect* is complete and utter bollocks, especially the PPI argument. The screen could be better, 720p is not the perfect resolution for a handheld screen of that size. It could be better, it's not.

It is for a device that's not going to be $600 and nintendo wants to be able to handle ports from the other consoles.

The thing would not run high end games(for it's hardware) at 1080p. Full stop. It's not going to run ports from xb1 or ps4 at 1080p. Full stop.

A 1080p screen would (passively) use more battery, actively reduce image quality(many games would be sub native), or actively reduce performance. Or, it could be more a lot more expensive. Battery life will be further reduced(possibly significantly) as I'm sure they're already putting in as big of a battery as possible.

Now maybe nintendo could actually make a tablet that could keep up with the xbox 1(a big maybe). Even if they could, it's not like the xbox one runs most games at 1080. It's not even close to most games, so what would the point be? Running nintendo games at 1080p? Ok, do you really want to pay $600 for that?

Top Bottom