• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer - Switch screen is 6.2", 720p, Capacitive Multi-Touch, IR sensor

No way will 1080p when docked be a standard on the Switch. People should accept that fact if they want to like this device.

I don't mean standard. I mean capable. I expect most games to render at 720p internally when docked.

If it's not capable of 1080p, it'll be worse than Wii U in that regard.

MADGAME

No way will 1080p when docked be a standard on the Switch. People should accept that fact if they want to like this device.

Then how is this an upgrade over a Wii U, which was primarily a 720p/60 console?

If portability/720p on the handheld is the upgrade, then Nintendo's statement that the switch is first and foremost a home console seems disingenuous at best.

Nintendo said its a home console first and foremost...

Again, we are still only talking about the screen resolution of the tablet, and we have also already established that ppi-wise it's not bad at all. What you might be seeing on your TV at home using this as a home console is an entirely different thing.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Then how is this an upgrade over a Wii U, which was primarily a 720p/60 console?

If portability/720p on the handheld is the upgrade, then Nintendo's statement that the switch is first and foremost a home console seems disingenuous at best.

There's much more to graphics than FPS and resolution... and per Nintendo, this isn't a replacement for the Wii U (or 3DS) anyway.

MADGAME

There's much more to graphics than FPS and resolution... and per Nintendo, this isn't a replacement for the Wii U (or 3DS) anyway.

Didn't Nintendo say they are phasing out Wii U production? In a roundabout way I thought they said if you want a Wii U you better buy one soon. And they are also saying the Switch isn't meant to replace the Wii U?

What the hell is going on, GAF? This can't be real.

The games that run at 720p on Wii U will most likely run at 1080p on Switch.
What it will not happen is AAA 3rd parties running at 1080p.
I can live with this if true

sanstesy

You are asking Nintendo to graphically outperform the XBO while the Switch being the less powerful console between the two. It's a compromise you have to accept if you like & want a hybrid and there is no way around it.

I don't mean standard. I mean capable. I expect most games to render at 720p internally when docked.

If it's not capable of 1080p, it'll be worse than Wii U in that regard.

I can't argue with Switch being below-par if it doesn't support 1080p at all, but the majority of Wii-U games were 720p.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wiiu/comments/37bej7/psa_native_resolution_and_framerate_list_of/

That I didn't even notice the difference between 720 and 1080 Wii-U games tells me I won't be too miffed if Switch only does 720. That being said, I'd hope they can do 1080p just so Gaf doesn't explode.

Shy

I hope there'll be some kind of solution for people like me, aren't able to have to the dock in a direct line of sight for the IR. Otherwise i'm fucked. 😞

I know they won't do this. But being able to plug in the WII sensor bar would be one solution that would work for me.

I hope there'll be some kind of solution for people like me, aren't able to have to the dock in a direct line of sight for the IR. Otherwise i'm fucked. ��

I know they won't do this. But being able to plug in the WII sensor bar would be one solution that would work for me.
If it's the same IR technology, you can just get a wireless sensor bar. It's essentially just two IR bulbs.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Breath of the Wild Switch is gon be virtually identical to the Wii U version, watch. 720p, 30fps.

I don't see this happening while docked (the versions being identical) unless Nintendo doesn't have time to develop properly the port.

Switch is in most educated guesses at least twice as powerful as Wii U.

MADGAME

You are asking Nintendo to graphically outperform the XBO while the Switch being the less powerful console between the two. It's a compromise you have to accept if you like & want a hybrid and there is no way around it.

I'm not asking Nintendo to do anything, I'm asking how the Switch is an upgrade over Wii U if the standard will be less than 1080p. The Wii U consistently churned out 720p/60fps games. If Switch does the same, that means essentially there is no upgrade except on the handheld/portability side. That makes Nintendo's home console first and foremost statement pretty damn disingenuous.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not asking Nintendo to do anything, I'm asking how the Switch is an upgrade over Wii U if the standard will be less than 1080p. The Wii U consistently churned out 720p/60fps games. If Switch does the same, that means essentially there is no upgrade except on the handheld/portability side. That makes Nintendo's home console first and foremost statement pretty damn disingenuous.

Since when is resolution the one and only standard by which we measure things?

sanstesy

It doesn't make it disingenuous as it functionally still works the same as a home console. You are just disliking the compromises that come with the hybrid concept. And that's okay.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Breath of the Wild Switch is gon be virtually identical to the Wii U version, watch. 720p, 30fps.

That doesn't make sense though. The most conservative estimates are that the Switch is 2x the Wii U in power, so it should absolutely be able to run Breath of Wild, Mario Kart 8S, Splatoon S in 1080P when it is docked to the TV. Infact, I think Nintendo will develop their games with this standard.

Obviously some of the third party XB1 ports won't be running at 1080P.

vern

I can't argue with Switch being below-par if it doesn't support 1080p at all, but the majority of Wii-U games were 720p.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wiiu/comments/37bej7/psa_native_resolution_and_framerate_list_of/

That I didn't even notice the difference between 720 and 1080 Wii-U games tells me I won't be too miffed if Switch only does 720. That being said, I'd hope they can do 1080p just so Gaf doesn't explode.

The machine is capable of 1080p. Gaf won't explode ...not because of that anyway.

Shy

If it's the same IR technology, you can just get a wireless sensor bar. It's essentially just two IR bulbs.
True but, Whether Nintendo allow for other options that aren't using the dock only. Is another thing entirely.

I think people are underestimating its abilities based on what you currently know about consoles.

There is no reason not to believe that it will have different power profiles similar to a gaming laptop or business laptop. The Nvidia shield had profiles .. so why wouldnt the switch? Nvidia is working on the API and helping on software.

The CPU / GPU could be downclocked for the sake of portability and the game options could change on the fly when it is taken off the dock. There is 0 reason for it not to be able to change resolution and graphics settings during the period it is removed from the dock.

You could have a game running at 1080p 30 fps on TV while docked and then change to 720p 30 fps when it is removed from the dock.

Keep in mind that the XboxOne is barely 1080p native most times it is resolution switching.. same with the ps4.. in the most demanding games the resolution changes dynamically to keep the fps from dipping.

sanstesy

That doesn't make sense though. The most conservative estimates are that the Switch is 2x the Wii U in power, so it should absolutely be able to run Breath of Wild, Mario Kart 8S, Splatoon S in 1080P when it is docked to the TV. Infact, I think Nintendo will develop their games with this standard.

Especially for a game like Breath of the Wild which is open-world and heavily physics-based I could see them improve framerate, draw distance, AA & AF in favor of upping the resolution.

Yeah just because the screen is native 720p doesnt mean the system cant pish native 1080p when docked

Fucking Wii U did native 1080p

Nibel

Let him vent, he's going to camp in front of a Best Buy in March 2017 anyway

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Especially for a game like Breath of the Wild which is open-world and heavily physics-based I could see them improve framerate, draw distance, AA & AF in favor of upping the resolution.

That could also happen. Although Nintendo seems to prefer 30 fps for Zelda anyway. But there's no way it's identical unless something went terribly wrong during the porting.

orioto

Good Art™
Are you really going to be complaining about a system that will give you Wii U quality graphics on something you can take with you on the go?

I dont get this infatuation with people wanting the Switch to be a PS4 2.0.. Even if Nintendo made a traditional x86 console more powerful than a ps4 with standard controls it wouldn't garner anymore sales than the Switch as it is announced.. If Nintendo got the hardware right it still has to have an online infrastructure, trophies, achievements, region free, party chat, and third party support to be uber successful lol..They would have to tick every box possible to be at parity with Sony and Msft.and at that point you would just call it the Scorpio lol...

You are partitioning off the same exact user base.. what Nintendo is doing as usual is growing a base that is outside the norm to eclipse the standard.. We dont need another Ps4bone lol we have 2 already and 3 with PC.

No you didn't get it lol i was answering him about something else

RoadHazard

Gold Member
True but, Whether Nintendo allow for other options that aren't using the dock only. Is another thing entirely.

If it uses the same technology (which seems likely) it doesn't matter what Nintendo "allows". As long as the camera sensor in the controller can see two sets of IR lights spaced out approximately the right amount, it will just work. With the Wiimote you can throw away your sensor bar and use two candles instead if you wish, it can't tell the difference.

I think people are underestimating its abilities based on what you currently know about consoles.

There is no reason not to believe that it will have different power profiles similar to a gaming laptop or business laptop. The Nvidia shield had profiles .. so why wouldnt the switch? Nvidia is working on the API and helping on software.

The CPU / GPU could be downclocked for the sake of portability and the game options could change on the fly when it is taken off the dock. There is 0 reason for it not to be able to change resolution and graphics settings during the period it is removed from the dock.

You could have a game running at 1080p 30 fps on TV while docked and then change to 720p 30 fps when it is removed from the dock.

Keep in mind that the XboxOne is barely 1080p native most times it is resolution switching.. same with the ps4.. in the most demanding games the resolution changes dynamically to keep the fps from dipping.

That could also happen. Although Nintendo seems to prefer 30 fps for Zelda anyway. But there's no way it's identical unless something went terribly wrong during the porting.

Well this makes me feel better. I just assumed BotW would be a straight port. Guess that doesn't make a lot of sense.

DavidDesu

In terms of pixels per inch this resolution at that screen size is close to the iPad Air (traditional middle iPad size with "retina" display). It's absolutely fine, and IPS LCD will look great compared to the screens Nintendo has used on all their past hardware!

Capacitive multi touch, about time. Knowing that from the off there's no reason developers can't smartly design games to accommodate console controls or take advantage of touch if suitable when used in portable mode. I'm down on Nintendo rather a lot but I like the sound of everything I'm hearing.

If you're chasing absolute cutting edge graphics then expecting that from Nintendo at this stage of the game is a fools errand. Finally though we get ALL Nintendos games and their special third party exclusives, and more, on ONE system. One system that can be used on your tv with a big comfy traditional controller, or used in bed or on the go to play exactly the same games. I love it. Price will be key and I might just get one (might even come before I get myself a Pro if I'm honest).

sanstesy

Yeah, that would be pretty disappointing.

Also with improving framerate I just meant locked 30 fps, which the Wii U version will surely not have.

A 720p resolution for a 6.2" screen on a gaming portable sounds perfect. I'm pretty surprised to see some people are actually disappointed by this. Do you guys have any understanding on how resolutions and the power required to drive them works? Or what pixel density is and why it is a far more important number than basic resolution?

Comments like "720p in 2017!" are rather naive.

Top Bottom