• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer - Switch screen is 6.2", 720p, Capacitive Multi-Touch, IR sensor

King_Moc

Banned
It is idiotic to complain about a handheld being 'only 720p in 2017'. Stop comparing it to phones, which only have that resolution for clean text and high resolution video. No one is playing console level games in 1080p on their iphones, and having a native 720p is going to be a lot better than running a game in 720p and upscaling it to a 1080p screen.

random25

FINALLY, a person who actually knows the benefits of resistive screens! I won't miss them on Nintendo products, but they get way, way more flack than they deserve. I'm still struggling with capacitive screens on phones when I need to select something small or use the phone when it's raining or snowing.

I did use PDAs for god know how many years, though, so I'm a bit biased.

Resistive touch I feel is always the best choice for gaming. It maybe is low tech compared to capacitive touch and its multitouch capabilitites, but having a stylus or any object pointed enough to control the screen is a much better control than using fingers, unless you buy a specialized stylus for pinpoint accuracy.

Having it as a top layer affects the image quality though.

jonno394

Very disappointed in the 720p screen. I can easily tell a huge difference in quality between a 1080p video/picture and 720p on my tiny 5 inch phone. Pretty sad a new device coming out in 2017 can't hit 1080p. Classic Nintendo move.

Please show me a comparable device for less than $300 that does full console gaming. Thanks

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
when docked does it output at 1080?

I mean I think we are all hoping the dock allows the unit to run overlocked (more power), but even if it doesn't, I think we can expect the Nintendo first-party games to potentially run 1080P output to tv, but the third party ports may not.

LordofPwn

How much bigger than a Vita screen is that?
the vita can almost sit completely on top of the switch's tablet portion. also has higher resolution than vita
It's 237 PPI which isn't that bad. The real concern is of the actual screen quality, color reproduction, ghosting and the like
i think Emily said it was IPS so color should be in the 90's but ghosting may still be an issue, probably see it more after a couple years.
size comparison

l1VjCyA.jpg
Also a note to this, the dock is the same height and width as the switch tablet and is about 2" deep or about the same as the diameter of a regular amiibo base.

Zomba13

all those 'why only 720p' replies literally made me sick.

as someone having worked their ass off to optimize a vita game only to still have it in subnative, my pain at seeing my work half ruined by subnative is palpable still to this day. I dont ever want to see something like that on the switch.

besides I dont see many complain about vita resolution when a game is native res, and the switch is even in higher DPI than that

This is my feeling. No one says an anything about the Vita screen and this will have better ppi than that and is only slightly bigger so it's not a 3DS to XL type thing where the resolution is the same just on a much larger screen.

This is going to be fine for a handheld gaming device. I mean, if you don't play games on a handheld you might think this is insane and how we're past 720p and everything should be 1080p or 4K with HDR at this point, but it'll be fine.

nikatapi

The most reasonable resolution they could go with. I remember in the NX speculation threads that most people didn't expect an HD screen on the system.
Anyway, for the size of the screen it is fine, more than decent PPI and hopefully all games will be rendered at the native resolution (unlike Vita for example).

rekameohs

Banned
I'd sure love it if the same people complaining for 1080p in this thread were the same people complaining in the three hour battery life thread.

Exile20

720p device releasing in 2017? You're kidding me, right?

Even if that is serviceable, people know what resolutions are these days and that won't be seen as a good thing in the eyes of the masses.

720p is smart. That means you can downclock the cpu/gpu dynamically to save battery life.

A 1080p screen would be a killer on battery.

Jon

Couldn't be happier with 720p. I'm honestly surprised to see the disdain and confusion for this decision...thought GAF would be through the roof with this news.

Still not a fan of the screen size myself. It'll be decent for handheld play, but when the device is docked by a kickstand I can see it being very small indeed.

Area of a 16:9, 6.2" display: 16.2"
Area of a 10.6", 6.2" display: 47.84"

The latter is 3x the size, or 195% bigger. The reason I chose 10.6" is because that's the same screen size as the Surface tablet -- and I think the screen on that is just about acceptable enough for viewing at a distance with the device docked by its kickstand.

The Switch's display is significantly smaller, and remember that games are unlikely to have their interfaces scaled for Kickstand mode versus having the device in your hands.

Very disappointed in the 720p screen. I can easily tell a huge difference in quality between a 1080p video/picture and 720p on my tiny 5 inch phone. Pretty sad a new device coming out in 2017 can't hit 1080p. Classic Nintendo move.

That's got more to do with the fact that the 720p video is being upscaled to a 1080p display than anything else.

The benefits of going 720p far outweigh 1080p for that screen size (220ppi, same as Vita), in my eyes. Much better battery life and less power used pushing pixels users won't see at any acceptable viewing distance.

Maxinas

All these delusional posts. Unless you can come up with a battery more power and cost efficient than lithium-ion, keep dreaming with your native 1440p, 4k gaming.

Not at all unreasonable to expect something beyond 720p for a console which will be played at home on a TV by many.

Considering PS4 and XB1 fail at rendering games at 1080p, it's unreasonable to expect a lower speced console to do so!

720p is just fine.

The dock doesn't do anything that major. This is the price you pay to be able to play this huge thing away from the TV for ~3 hours.

The presence of an AC connection will probably upclock the device so it can render 1080p

4K on a 42 inch TV is 104.9 PPI

720p on a 6.2 inch screen is 236.87 PPI

Unless you're shoving the thing into your face I seriously doubt you'd ever see a visible pixel. Bigger numbers are not always noticeable nor are they always feasible.

720p for the Switch screen is great. Retina (300ppi or more) is better, but not necessary

So people would rather have a $499 1080p gaming console/handheld with a 1.5 hour battery life because muh resolutionz

Par for the course for the gaming audience I guess. Why is this not half the price and twice as powerful!?

The consumer is really irrational sometimes. They want 4k in their phone, what for? who knows, but they want it

oti

Banned
i guess nintendo has to shelf one of their cornerstone franchises for the time being.

Seriously though, looking for clues in Phoenix Wright will be pretty bad without touch. Although if this means they will have to come up with a better way to do this without touch it could be pretty cool. Layton and Wright have been pretty much the same all those years.

This is all well and good, but I'd like to see some kind of confirmation that the Joycons and pro controller feature gyro controls. It's be nice to have a choice for aiming in games.

The iPhone is half the size and does a shit ton more than just play games. The point was the initial comparison didn't work.

This is meant to be a dedicated handheld device though, the resolution is made in mind for games, not movies or browsing the internet. The iPhone probably cant play graphically intensive 1080p games at a stable framerate for longer than an hour without the battery killing it. This is a good trade off. When comparing the two the only thing that matters is the performance for games.

It's hard to tell who in this thread is being sarcastic and who isn't.

720p is fantastic for a portable. 720p looks great on a 42 inch TV connected to an XB1, as many XB1 games render at 720p.

People acting like 720p is some stone age shit are absolutely out of their minds.

dan2026

As long as the games has some decent anti-aliasing it shouldnt matter too much that its only 720p

The worst thing about the 3ds is how eye shearingly jagged all the games are.

KNT-Zero

So this looks like Nintendo is making a WiiU Lite, more stylised and portable friendly.

I wouldn't complain… if I didn't already have a WiiU. I'm pretty sure all of my physical games are gonna get neglected by this console :(

hodgy100

people's expectations for this device continue to baffle me. you know what nintendo are like and you know what they aim for.

The battery life is already rumored to be pretty low. 720p and maybe ~3 hours of battery life? I'm not sure how regular consumers will react to that.

size comparison

l1VjCyA.jpg

Honestly they should have dropped the detachable controls and just made it a smaller version of the Wii U tablet, only with asymmetrical analog sticks. It would have been comfortable, had a better dpad, and a stylus and resistive touch screen for backwards compatibility with DS/3DS games.

rekameohs

Banned
This argument is totally backwards. The "huge difference in quality" is because the 720p is being upscaled to 1080p. And I guarantee you that many Switch games will be native 720p; just look at Xbox One. And, as you said, they will look worse on a non-native screen. These games would literally look worse on a 1080p screen than a 720p one, at the tremendous cost of battery life.

StereoVsn

For a handheld gaming device, 720P is alright. However, I really hope Switch can push 1080p for majority of games when docked. Considering Xbone woes with 3rd party devs and 1080p, I have my doubts.

see5harp

This is my feeling. No one says an anything about the Vita screen and this will have better ppi than that and is only slightly bigger so it's not a 3DS to XL type thing where the resolution is the same just on a much larger screen.

This is going to be fine for a handheld gaming device. I mean, if you don't play games on a handheld you might think this is insane and how we're past 720p and everything should be 1080p or 4K with HDR at this point, but it'll be fine.

It's probably Going to look awesome. It's just years and years of the shitty ass tech Nintendo has given us with different screen types and low resolution that is making many people pessimistic. Every time I play something on my new 3ds xl, I wonder why that shit cost more than $200.

oti

Banned
Dude...i'm rocking an iPhone SE because it is tiny. I can't stand these large phones and the Switch is no exception.

I get you. I'm just saying that tablets aren't completely new. For this to work though Nintendo has to offer more than just games to make people use it like a tablet and hence be ok with throwing it into their bag every day.

Due to battery life and other factors people seem to move more and more to Phablets though. That form factor just isn't made for video games I guess.

rtcn63

Okay with 720p, especially if it means FPS/battery gains. Just hoping the quality of the screen itself isn't bad (color accuracy etc.) like the Wii U gamepad or 3DS XL.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
And I can tell a huge difference in quality in upscalled crap and native one. And good thing that the primarly goal for this device isnt to browse pictures or videos.

720p is suddenly a bad thing when console gamers were just gushing over 720p games 3-4 years ago.
3-4 years ago = "suddenly". Very few have been "gushing" over 720p games since the launch of Xbone and PS4 and unless a game is bleeding edge visually like BF1, the game is going to be slammed for not hitting at least 900p at bare minimum, which is still an absolute joke now days.
Aren't we still getting 720p on Xbox One?

Yes....which is why MS is making the Scorpio...which is also releasing the same year as the Switch....

As well as Sony releasing the PS4 Pro this year....

AndyD

aka andydumi
720p device releasing in 2017? You're kidding me, right?

Even if that is serviceable, people know what resolutions are these days and that won't be seen as a good thing in the eyes of the masses.

Pretty much. 1080p pixels are visible at 6 inches, 720p are going to be glaring.

Timeaisis

This is probably a joke post but...

Video are different than games. Most mobile games do not push full resolution. Hell, lots use 960x640px because anything upwards of that would eat battery like nobody's business. You're comparing apples to oranges, and your also conveniently making a video comparison to rendering resolutions.

https://twitter.com/FioraAeterna/status/752900257063723009

720p will be fine. Anything more and the system would suffer by quite a bit in battery life. People already sweating the rumored 3 hour battery life, imagine if it was 1080p or 1440p.

In order to create high quality detailed console style games, I dont think its a bad decision to be at "only" 720p

But lol at the "dont buy 1440p screens". Its critical for mobile VR, which at $60 for Gear and $79 for daydream is a far more affordable solution than the $500-$800 of PSVR/Vive/Rift+Touch. And if you get at least a day's use of battery at 1440p, why is it a bad thing to want high resolution for better quality visuals, photos, videos etc.

Dude...i'm rocking an iPhone SE because it is tiny. I can't stand these large phones and the Switch is no exception.

I'm pretty sure it's not intended to supplant smartphones as anyone's primary portable device.

If carrying a secondary, larger portable device in a bag is really that anathema to you, then yeah, the portable functionality probably isn't for you.

For a handheld gaming device, 720P is alright. However, I really hope Switch can push 1080p for majority of games when docked. Considering Xbone woes with 3rd party devs and 1080p, I have my doubts.

I mean there really isnt any reason it cant switch to a high power output mode when docked since its no longer running off the battery

Top Bottom