• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: The difficulty slider in South Park: TFBH changes the color of your skin.

If people want to get the game because this aligns with their politics, uh

I wouldn't necessarily assume that is true throughout.

South Park has always been liberal; they just occasionally make fun of liberal positions as well. They spent an entire season lampooning Donald Trump's campaign and were as surprised as we were that he actually won.

What happens if a black person wants to play the game in easy mode? They have to be white? 😓

Thatsthejoke.jpg

Like with the first game, how Jew was one of the character classes.

They literally revealed that in the first two weeks. GI revealed the game Dec 1 2011, Jew was revealed as 5th class 2 weeks later.

I will never understand spoiler culture. Getting upset about something so early is weird. The last game had tons of unannounced jokes and areas. This will be longer, so it'll have even more. In fact, I'm pretty sure all of the footage, so far, has been in the first 2-3 hours.

Monkey Blue

Neo Member
During the process, South Park stalwart Eric Cartman will comment: "Don't worry, this doesn't affect combat. Just every other aspect of your whole life."

It's just a joke not an actual difficulty slider.

Estoc

This is exactly the thing you would expect them to do. Love it.

Guess I should buy this at full price to encourage more of this? I really hate uPlay though... :(

Not a fan of South Park in the least, or the role they've played in propagating some particularly shitty ideas, like "Calling someone a fag is a-ok, because it doesn't really refer to gay people"

Fuck. That.

But this difficulty slider is the best argument for games as art in some time.

CazTGG

South Park has always been liberal; they just occasionally make fun of liberal positions as well. They spent an entire season lampooning Donald Trump's campaign and were as surprised as we were that he actually won.

Yeah, i'm sure this is the future liberals want and not just Stone & Parker punching down the LGBTQ2S+ community.

200_s.gif

Also, let's stop pretending South Park isn't a show whose central point is "taking a side is dumb, look at how dumb being anywhere but the centre is" that's made by two libertarian cowards who are hands-off with Trump now that he won the election.

We should really try not to turn hot takes from mouth breathers on 4chan, Tumblr, Twitter, and YouTube into nuanced discussion of long-form artistic endeavors...

Funny because this is the kind of argument i'd expect to see in a YouTube comments: This thing got an award/critical praise, therefore outliers are idiots:

Matt & Trey won an Emmy that dolphin season (9), I think I'll trust my own first hand interpretation of the work instead of knee-jerking over memes like people seem to consistently do. If right wing idiots can't tell when they're being made fun of, that doesn't make it bad satire, it makes them fucking idiots.

Bad satire is bad regardless of what the writers intended or what the alt-right cretins think of it, which is not to say there isn't anything troubling with the group using the cited episode to be grossly transphobic.

I have to admit sometimes I wonder if people who complain about South Park being "Both sides!" actually watch South Park. They tend to take actual sides on issues. It's just that they'll also make fun of the left sometimes as well.

For the most part, they don't. Strangely enough every person I've talked to who complained about last season didn't actually watch much of it -- they all seemed to have gotten as far as "they showed giant douche/turd sandwich, I've seen all I need to see here, no way they will use that to springboard into other commentary, no sirree."

Same thing with PC Principal. If they'd watched the entire season they'd see that he ended up being a heroic character.

Yeah, i'm sure this is the future liberals want and not just Stone & Parker punching down the LGBTQ2S+ community.

200_s.gif

Also, let's stop pretending South Park isn't a show whose central point is "taking a side is dumb, look at how dumb being anywhere but the centre is" that's made by two libertarian cowards who are hands-off with Trump now that he won the election.

People who post screenshots out of context just expose themselves as never having watched the show.

It's an episode explicitly about how being transgender isn't a trivial decision, and isn't a slippery slope comparable to being "transracial" (which wasn't even a word when the episode aired) or trans-dolphin.

They were not centrists in the season leading up to the 2016 election. They directly lampooned every personality failing and campaign snafu of Trump via Mr Garrison, portrayed his voters as gullible, uninformed idiots, and the worst they portrayed Hillary was as boring and repetitive. They're being hands off now because weekly the Trump admin proves itself redundant to parody, and they would inevitably make the entire show revolving around Garrison as the presidency continues to spiral out of control.

Drain You

I think I'd rather it actually being tied to difficulty. To those saying what if a black guy wants play on easy, it goes both ways. I white as hell and would rather play on hard. I'd just choose the darker skin color. Wouldn't bother me.

I think I'd rather it actually being tied to difficulty. To those saying what if a black guy wants play on easy, it goes both ways. I white as hell and would rather play on hard. I'd just choose the darker skin color. Wouldn't bother me.
Well thankfully if a black person wants their character to be black they don't need to play on a harder difficulty.

Yeah it doesn't sound like you watch the show at all.

Whining that "they won't make the jokes I want them to make, so they're cowards!!" is childish and entitled as fuck, btw

Spinifex

People who post screenshots out of context just expose themselves as never having watched the show.

It's an episode explicitly about how being transgender isn't a trivial decision, and isn't a slippery slope comparable to being "transracial" (which wasn't even a word when the episode aired) or trans-dolphin.

I really don't think that was their point. Fuck, even if it was some woke meta social commentary, it's not what the vast majority of people took from the episode. The 4chan 'I identify as an Apache attack helicopter LUL' is basically a minor evolution of South Park's 'I identify as a dolphin LOL' and is only ever used to denigrate trans people.

adj_noun

world reactive in that it makes the world more difficult to engage with

kind of like what a difficulty slider would do

*shrug*

Everything I've heard about has either been flavor or the money thing, and...hey, I could be wrong, but if the first game was anything to go by, money won't exactly be an issue.

*shrug*

Everything I've heard about has either been flavor or the money thing, and...hey, I could be wrong, but if the first game was anything to go by, money won't exactly be an issue.

yeah money in the first game was so easy to come by the game had a trophy/achievement for you to beat it without ever selling anything.

I really don't think that was their point. Fuck, even if it was some woke meta social commentary, it's not what the vast majority of people took from the episode. The 4chan 'I identify as an Apache attack helicopter LUL' is basically a minor evolution of South Park's 'I identify as a dolphin LOL' and is only ever used to denigrate trans people.

We should really try not to turn hot takes from mouth breathers on 4chan, Tumblr, Twitter, and YouTube into nuanced discussion of long-form artistic endeavors.

There are people who post pictures of RDJ from Tropic Thunder, unironically using the film as a defense of blackface, despite the actual characters in the film telling his character that it was terribly inappropriate. There are (white) people who refuse to watch Dear White People because of the title, despite the film focusing on a black student (creator of the titular, fictional radio show whom other students point out is racist) who has to overcome her own petty hangups to be a better person. A good chunk of NeoGAF thought that last year on South Park was elevating Donald Trump. They were factually wrong, but they weren't any less vocal about it on the internet.

Matt & Trey won an Emmy that dolphin season (9), I think I'll trust my own first hand interpretation of the work instead of knee-jerking over memes like people seem to consistently do. If right wing idiots can't tell when they're being made fun of, that doesn't make it bad satire, it makes them fucking idiots.

We should really try not to turn hot takes from mouth breathers on 4chan, Tumblr, Twitter, and YouTube into nuanced discussion of long-form artistic endeavors.

There are people who post pictures of RDJ from Tropic Thunder, unironically using the film as a defense of blackface, despite the actual characters in the film telling his character that it was terribly inappropriate. There are (white) people who refuse to watch Dear White People because of the title, despite the film focusing on a black student (creator of the titular, fictional radio show whom other students point out is racist) who has to overcome her own petty hangups to be a better person. A good chunk of NeoGAF thought that last year on South Park was elevating Donald Trump. They were factually wrong, but they weren't any less vocal about it on the internet.

*applause*

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

Great comment

poodaddy

South Park will be the most progressive game of all time thus far. An adult comedy show lol. I love it man, and the difficulty slider is a genius. This games gonna be incredible.

Thank you. Should be posted in every South Park topic on Gaf.

Fj0823

Damn, good post.

poodaddy

A standing, figuratively speaking of course, ovation to you good sir. Wonderful post.

sirap

Saw this in Easy Allies's preview. Chuckled when they fretted over whether this slider was "crossing the line".

TrutaS

I first thought this was a bit unfair, but then I thought that's the point, and then I thought that's actually perfect for a South Park game. So I'm totally glad they did it.

People thinking South Park is alt-right is new to me. It should be pretty obvious that that's not the case at all if you watch the show.

Top Bottom