• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer : Why Nintendo Switch games are ending up more expensive

evanmisha

It's not just a few $ more to produce. It's also a few $ more to ship due to weight and dimensions. Also, if it's like in the past, you have to pay Nintendo to produce the carts which comes with it's own upcharge.
I'm not saying this accounts for 10$ worth of increase but It's probably the case where total cost comes close to $5 and it doesn't make sense from a publisher to not just update that to the nearest 10$ increment.

$44.35 -> $49.99

I seriously doubt there is any data that items sell any differently at 49.99 compared to 45 which makes moving it up to the higher value even more enticing.

Why would they cost more to ship? The cases are substantially smaller as a result of the switch to carts. Also, Switch carts are tiny. Anyone with a kitchen scale wanna weigh a Wii U case with a disc inside and a Switch case with a disc inside? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the latter is both smaller and lighter.

It's not just a few $ more to produce. It's also a few $ more to ship due to weight and dimensions. Also, if it's like in the past, you have to pay Nintendo to produce the carts which comes with it's own upcharge.
I'm not saying this accounts for 10$ worth of increase but It's probably the case where total cost comes close to $5 and it doesn't make sense from a publisher to not just update that to the nearest 10$ increment.

$44.35 -> $49.99

I seriously doubt there is any data that items sell any differently at 49.99 compared to 45 which makes moving it up to the higher value even more enticing.

Shipping costs should be lower compared to a Wii U game though, the size and weight are smaller. Or is the psp style case shape irregular or something?

Same reason all PS4 games ended up being more expensive than PS3 versions even doe it was probably pain in the butt to include PS3 port. Next gen tax, it'll go away in time.

At least I hope so.

MilkyJoe

Well, we've heard that the cost of manufacturing a Nintendo Switch game is higher than the cost of making a PS4, PC or Xbox One game, because the cartridges the Switch uses cost more to make than Blu-ray discs.

No, the cost of manufacturing a blank cartridge is more than manufacturing a blank Blu Ray disk. It has fuck all to do with how much it costs to make the game.

Shiggy

Such a policy seems impossible to enforce in Europe where there is no suggested retail price. I call bullshit, especially since we know 3rd parties are free to do their own sales, which suggests they're free to set the pricing as they want.

I'm sure they have that policy internally, but I seriously doubt they have such a rule with 3rd parties.

Legally speaking, there's nothing wrong with that policy. In fact, on DSiWare and WiiWare, it was Nintendo that set the prices for third party games.

The article makes it sound like there's no such policy though. More like a guideline at best. And that would make sense since otherwise the Switch game part in shops would indeed be rather empty as it's not getting very strong game support from third parties.

So why on earth does it cost the same physically and digitally in europe?

Could be a decision by Koch Media. Bear in mind that they also need to pay Sega.

The amount of Americans that think they are the only place in the world that exists is astonishing.

You get cheaper digital pricing than physical, congrats?
Nobody else does.

Fucking Eurogamer... what a stupid article, they basically wrote this shit up just to pander to the Rime nubs for charging extra.

Still not buying the game, it's coming out later, a port and more expensive.

A few bucks maybe, but like $15 Canadian, fuck off I can buy SD cards cheaper.

KORNdoggy

i think this is just BS reasoning for the devs/pubs taking advantage of a new console launch. i think in 6 months time if switch even gets multiplatform releases day and date alongside the competition we will see prices level out.

but much like playstation VR's launch. publishers can get away with charging more for the same thing because those on that platform are starved of content. it's been true for every console launch ever. the switch is no different. yes, their carts are probably marginally more expensive to manufacture. but it's not enough of a reason to justify a $10 price hike. especially when you consider the game is also available digitally with no manufacturing costs.

I was worried about the price increase after BotW was £60 RRP. I really do hope that price does not stick. The biggest perk of digital should be that it doesn't need the extra manufacturing cost so the game is cheaper.

The Boat

Legally speaking, there's nothing wrong with that policy. In fact, on DSiWare and WiiWare, it was Nintendo that set the prices for third party games.

The article makes it sound like there's no such policy though. More like a guideline at best. And that would make sense since otherwise the Switch game part in shops would indeed be rather empty as it's not getting very strong game support from third parties.
Oh I'm not saying it's illegal, just that it doesn't add up. Like you say, it's likely a guideline and one that is followed on most releases on any platform at launch.

Nintendo manufactures the carts and likes to make some money there. That's on top of a licensing fee and they no doubt charge publishers for a set amount of inventory in advance. This is what they have always done. Nintendo loves it, publishers hate it and it's why the physical goods from Nintendo always cost more.

The question then becomes, will AAA publishers also sell games at higher costs? If they are producing a million copies of a game, the cartridges will be significantly lower than an indie publisher who is only producing 100k physical copies. At what point does it really make a difference? And how much more expensive it is exactly?

I doubt it is $10 more expensive, and that parity between digital and physical needs to stop.

jaxpunk

WHOAH who knew we had some many people working in manufacturing on gaf. To all the can't cost 10bux to manufacture, can we get a bom break down on the cost of each cart?

Thanks in advance!

Fucking Eurogamer... what a stupid article, they basically wrote this shit up just to pander to the Rime nubs for charging extra.

Still not buying the game, it's coming out later, a port and more expensive.

A few bucks maybe, but like $15 Canadian, fuck off I can buy SD cards cheaper.

Yea this reads like they just want to put the blame elsewhere and not place responsibility on the publisher for Rime. This shit ain't foolin no one, if they want to charge 10 more for their physical copy then fine but your price parity bullshit for digital is not a thing.

Bazry

Why was this never an issue with 3DS carts? Plenty of 3DS ports of games came out in line with the usual 3DS price, why was there never anyone complaining about the costs of carts then?

Why was Monster Hunter 3 cheaper on 3DS than on Wii U?

Why was this never an issue with 3DS carts? Plenty of 3DS ports of games came out in line with the usual 3DS price, why was there never anyone complaining about the costs of carts then?

storage on 3DS carts is vastly lower, though it would also matter what variations in size nintendo supports for switch.

evanmisha

Guess this is as good a thread as any to spread the word as I don't think this has been noticed yet. Has-Been Heroes went up on the eShop yesterday at 24.99 CAD. Physical copy is priced at 29.99 CAD. Have I just missed the news or did we already know this?

tolkir

Because there weren't greedy publishers.

EmiPrime

For those of you who didn't bother to read the article:

What does this mean? Well, we've heard that the cost of manufacturing a Nintendo Switch game is higher than the cost of making a PS4, PC or Xbox One game, because the cartridges the Switch uses cost more to make than Blu-ray discs.

We've also heard that the cost of the cart depends on the size of the cart. Switch game card carts come in a variety of capacities: 1GB, 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, 16GB and 32GB. At a high level, the bigger the cart the more expensive it is, although the price may vary according to print run (lower the volume, higher the price, for example - an issue that may affect indie developers who don't expect to shift a huge number of copies of their game).

Famassu

Game cards cost a couple dollars more yes, they don't cost $10 more.

In Australia, it's an even higher price difference iirc.
There's probably a multitude of reasons why prices are higher. More expensive physical option is one reason that increases prices, publishers also have less potential for games to make a profit if they sell them for 10$ less because it's not like there are dozens of millions of Switches around yet, so that can often push prices upwards, there's also need to make back initial investments into Switch development, less competition etc. etc.

Games at a console launch are often sold at a premium and prices often don't drop quickly vs. a platform that has been in the market for 2+ years after which pricing starts to be more competitive and even then can come crashing down in just a month or a few.

jacobeid

Banned

Exactly. Whoever priced Rime made a shitty decision and Eurogamer is backing them for some dumb reason. Their logic doesn't hold at all.

Only thing we can do is vote for your wallet. For a dev who has been dropped by both Microsoft and Sony, I'm not sure why anyone has any confidence in the smoke and mirrors game anyway.

LewieP

Games which would require much smaller print runs were digital only.

Yea this reads like they just want to put the blame elsewhere and not place responsibility on the publisher for Rime. This shit ain't foolin no one, if they want to charge 10 more for their physical copy then fine but your price parity bullshit for digital is not a thing.

It is a thing in Europe and Eurogamer is an European site. Show me one example in Europe where digital is cheaper.

Warning: Nobody will believe this
Hardly ANY 3DS developer/publisher made huge profits due to expensive cart prices. Margins were always super tight. Now development costs from 3DS to Switch have gone up hugely...

Effect

$44.35 -> $49.99

Going by Amazon here are the dimensions of Zelda:BOTW Switch and Final Fantasy XV PS4.

Zelda: 0.4 x 4.1 x 6.6 inches; 2.1 ounces
FFXV: 0.6 x 5.3 x 6.7 inches; 2.4 ounces

Yeah no. I don't think cost has anything to do with the weight and/or dimensions of the games being shipped. If anything it should cost less if that were a factor because the Switch games are listed as being smaller and lighter. At the very least it's a wash on that front since they aren't any bigger then current games. They're pretty much similar in size to the 3DS cases with just length and width changes.

DQ8 3DS: 0.5 x 5.4 x 4.9 inches; 2.2 ounces

LewieP

Warning: Nobody will believe this
Hardly ANY 3DS developer/publisher made huge profits due to expensive cart prices. Margins were always super tight. Now development costs from 3DS to Switch have gone up hugely...

But 3DS mostly required bespoke games, or porting was non-trivial, which is not the case for Switch.

I'd like to see the numbers. You can fit a lot more Switch games on a pallet/in a box than you can PS4/Xbox One games. I wonder where the trade-off is between cost of cartidge and cost of packaging/shipping.

With shipping being equivalent it still wouldn't account for $10.

Oregano

Nintendo doesn't even force games to be playable when docked so the idea that they're forcing publishers to price their products a certain way is laughable.

I don't remember this being the case with cross platform physical PS4/Vita games. Or does Nintendo charge much higher than Sony for their cartridges?

Top Bottom