• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer why our Starfield: review will be late (DF unaffected and will be on time)

graywolf323

That's not a good look not giving Skillup a review copy. Seems like they gave review copies to outlets and people they know will give them the highest metacritic on day 1, then eventually others with review the game and the metacritic will be more accurate. I could be completely wrong but that's what it seems like
Jez Corden gets a review copy but Eurogamer does not.

Will Smith Reaction GIF
Wow, that's crazy. So even big peeps got denied. Now I do not feel as bad for getting denied. Lol.

yep, who did & did not get review codes is one of the things that has kept me from pre-ordering the game still

they’ve been weirdly selective, it feels like even more so than usual for a big game launch

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Edge aswell.

Tbh both these publications should never be given review codes by anyone.

One uses their reviews to push their agenda the other one is pretentious.

if we start choosing who reviews what it won't end well

just look at the ERA website that gives high scores to his constructor but low scores to competitiors

the ideal is to give to everyone or don't give it to anyone and each buy their own code

Sleepwalker

No.
But its a similar situation here. Tell me, what stops them from buying the game and review themselves? I don't think companies can stop them, at least not that I know.

Now, if in Skill Up case is a clear case of choice, then I think he has every right to not review the game. But people also have the right to criticise him from not doing so, because it tells alot about his integrity/profissionalism.

I think as a reviewer prioritizing games you get early access codes to to be fairly reasonable no? He hasn't complained about not getting a Starfield code, just pointed out to not expect a review from him around release. He doesn't cover every single release, he hasn't covered Baldur's gate 3 at all.

We know why you're bringing up Hogwarts Legacy, but he has made 0 comments around the controversy that I know of and is not a "woke" reviewer at all as far as I'm concerned. He also doesn't care about people talking shit to him online case in point when he shat all over TLOU2 in his review.

At the end of the day he's running a business, going back and reviewing Hogwarts a month or 2 later probably would not have made sense financially vs covering newer releases.

But you do you.

You retards know that Eurogamer is (mainly) a UK outlet? And exactly that outlet seems to be affected.
Yeah dickcheese, I'm familiar about it being a British publication. It was funny to me to see Eurogamer attempting to push above their weight with the Americans. Bethesda was like: "Who are you exactly, Eurogamer? Move your Euro ass to the side, it's IGN and Game Informer here babyyy!"

Montauk

Yeah dickcheese, I'm familiar about it being a British publication. It was funny to me to see Eurogamer attempting to push above their weight with the Americans. Bethesda was like: "Who are you exactly, Eurogamer? Move your Euro ass to the side, it's IGN and Game Informer here babyyy!"

How is asking for a review code as a game reviewing outlet attempting to push above their weight?

Literally what are you going on about?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
5FB6CQ0.jpg

DF are stil in the good graces of MS as long as they’re not too harsh on them.
Again, really bad look fraternizing with people you are supposed to be reviewing/criticizing. I get that industry folks get together and party all the time but out in the open like this taking pics like you are their biggest fans is not a good look. Especially after their own company was denied access to the game by these two people.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Just going through the blitz of 10 day concern-a-thon before the game comes out.

August 20 - 23: You're not allowed to run more than 40 minutes in a straight line
August 24 - 26: There are small load screens
August 29: Some outlets did not get review codes
August 30: ??????

People who are currently playing and reviewing the game: Jez, Rand, Nick Spheshal. Even Colt Eastwood got a copy, but Edge and SkillUp didn't. Yep, makes sense 😛

Giantbomb, WaPo, very likely IGN, Gamespot etc as well.

8b13f9f583e0f3b6b84251ae4d363fd5.png

I am going to reply to you exclusively in Nana Patekar memes now Heis :p

Last edited:

Darsxx82

Maybe a LOL, but I have a feeling and wouldn't be surprised if Eurogamer group, VG247 and other had been penalized for its position in different articles against the ABK Acquisition and supporting CMA decissions.

Having said that, it is a double-edged sword for MS to make this decision... I do not expect that "punishments" like this do not have an impact on the impartiality, honesty and professionalism of the person who is going to do the Review...

PS. vG247 shitting on Starfield and XBOX all these months has surely also been targeted by Bethesda.

Saber

Gold Member
It tells you zero about his integrity or professionalism, he’s not obligated to review every game people want him to review.

I think as a reviewer prioritizing games you get early access codes to to be fairly reasonable no? He hasn't complained about not getting a Starfield code, just pointed out to not expect a review from him around release. He doesn't cover every single release, he hasn't covered Baldur's gate 3 at all.

We know why you're bringing up Hogwarts Legacy, but he has made 0 comments around the controversy that I know of and is not a "woke" reviewer at all as far as I'm concerned. He also doesn't care about people talking shit to him online case in point when he shat all over TLOU2 in his review.

At the end of the day he's running a business, going back and reviewing Hogwarts a month or 2 later probably would not have made sense financially vs covering newer releases.

But you do you.

I think it was bad of my part bringing up Hogwarts(even more from Skill Up, I still respect him) as I said reviewers doesn't need to do reviews of certain games if they don't want to. But it doesn't mean people can criticize them, but its better if I don't drag on this.

Now about the code stuff. I retain what I said. I have all my criticism about Bethesda and their ugly and janky games, but Eurogamer is not entitled to a copy and I'm pretty sure nothing stops them from buying the game. Nothing of value will be lost if they make or not a review. They could bankrupt for all I care, still nothing of value would be lost.

edit: Also M Montauk easy on the slave part

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Again, really bad look fraternizing with people you are supposed to be reviewing/criticizing. I get that industry folks get together and party all the time but out in the open like this taking pics like you are their biggest fans is not a good look. Especially after their own company was denied access to the game by these two people.

This!

The Office Thank You GIF

If Phil Spencer and Todd Howard meet and give Digital Foundry "a special permission" to share this one tidbit about Starfield, they're obviously not going to trash the game.

cdyB92z.jpg

This will also directly influence their performance review. I'm glad I've already stopped giving Digital Foundry my views, and I hope others boycott these paid merceneries as well.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Just going through the blitz of 10 day concern-a-thon before the game comes out.

August 20 - 23: You're not allowed to run more than 40 minutes in a straight line
August 24 - 26: There are small load screens
August 29: Some outlets did not get review codes
August 30: ??????

Giantbomb, WaPo, very likely IGN, Gamespot etc as well.

8b13f9f583e0f3b6b84251ae4d363fd5.png

I am going to reply to you exclusively in Nana Patekar memes now Heis :p
Bring 'em on. I love Nana Patekar 😄

And there is no reality in which a game developer does not provide a review code to IGN and Gamespot. They will ALWAYS get a review copy, so that's nothing.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Seems pretty crazy to me, given how many people seem to be playing Starfield - pretty much anyone with a decent social media following or reviewer for pretty much any other outlet seems to be saying "I can't say anything but I'm playing Starfield."

I wonder why they excluded Eurogamer, but not DF if they're the same company. If they were afraid of the bugs being exposed (as has been suggested in this thread) then surely DF wouldn't get a copy. If they were afraid of bad scores or impressions, there'd be no pre-release codes for anyone.
Also seems strange to exclude EDGE - they're a print only magazine and their review likely wouldn't be on sale until mid September at best, likely October. No real chance to influence the almighty first week Metacritic.

I can only conclude that Edge and Eurogamer must have farted in a lift at Gamescom and that Todd Howard strolled in as they walked out. There's just no other explanation.

I would love to know the real answer though, I hope it's really petty.

adamsapple

Bring 'em on. I love Nana Patekar 😄

And there is no reality in which a game developer does not provide a review code to IGN and Gamespot. They will ALWAYS get a review copy, so that's nothing.

It seems like a Zenimax / MS UK specific thing.

In the US, they have sent multiple codes to the staff at giant bomb and other outlets, who really wouldn't need more than one code.

Montauk

I think it was bad of my part bringing up Hogwarts(even more from Skill Up, I still respect him) as I said reviewers doesn't need to do reviews of certain games if they don't want to. But it doesn't mean people can criticize them, but its better if I don't drag on this.

Now about the code stuff. I retain what I said. I have all my criticism about Bethesda and their ugly and janky games, but Eurogamer is not entitled to a copy and I'm pretty sure nothing stops them from buying the game. Nothing of value will be lost if they make or not a review. They could bankrupt for all I care, still nothing of value would be lost.

Nobody is entitled to a copy, but other outlets have been given a copy as it the standard industry or practice. Stop making this entitlement point, nobody is labouring under the misconception that they have to supply a code as a matter of law.

So why haven’t these outlets been given a copy? What is positive about that?

Nobody’s gonna force you to read their reviews. I mean you’re gonna read then anyway just so you can furiously angry about them on here - but no one is gonna force you to read them.

So why do you want other gamers, who like having a wide variety of reviews to read, to be denied their reviews?

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
I don't like Edge or Eurogamer, but unless this is some petty MS bullshit over the UK trying to block the Acti merger then I would suspect that Bethesda isn't confident in the state of Starfield because Edge and Eurogamer are typically far more harsh.
they say in the article that it's for alot of UK sites

so far what i've seen the game looks good so i don't see what bethesda would try to hide

Sleepwalker

Oh I think we are not in disagreement here but more likely misunderstood each other then, I dont care for Eurogamer I think their track record alone and the things they take issue with to be more than enough to be denied codes by every publisher until their reviews start being about the games themselves and not social commentary.

I am sad that SkillUp did not get a code because I appreciate his input when it comes to game mechanics, story etc and I think publishers should make an effort to provide codes to reviewers that will examine the game on its own merits.

adamsapple

they say in the article that it's for alot of UK sites

so far what i've seen the game looks good so i don't see what bethesda would try to hide

Meanwhile, some other UK outlets have been provided access through Bethesda's US arm.

It sounds like a UK specific distribution problem, if the US arm of Zenimax is sending codes to UK outlets.

Hugare

They probably saw Eurogamer fucking every big release with their 5 star rating and didnt want some of that lol

Hilarious

+1 pt on MC

Last edited:
Top Bottom