• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer why our Starfield: review will be late (DF unaffected and will be on time)

coffinbirth

fuck-around.gif

jm89

Content creators on Twitter and Youtube are inherently clickbaity.

Journalism is supposed to be above that. And they clearly arent.
Are you kidding me?

You trying to tell me every outlet that got sent a review code would pass that not being clickbaity test?

MMaRsu

Banned
Are you kidding me?

You trying to tell me every outlet that got sent a review code would pass that not being clickbaity test?

Many of them wouldnt indeed. With the exception of Edge in my opinion.

VG247, Eurogamer, RPS have all had clickbait articles about not only Starfield but many other titles.

Trash clickbait articles, might I add.

Oh I read that wrong my bad.

No, not every outlet would pass that test. But many of the outlets who were not send a code, would also not pass that test.
Bethesda also has issues with Reedpop, the mother company of VG247, Eurogamer, RPS.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

That doesn't make any sense.
It isn't obvious, but it does. They aren't saying score, and they aren't saying superlatives.

They are essentially saying that the game would be best in many categories on Xbox, but because there are no other contenders in each of those accolade categories you can't give an award without other contenders - and that is the fault of Microsoft failing to deliver more games, and not a criticism of the game in the review.

Topher

Gold Member
It isn't obvious, but it does. They aren't saying score, and they aren't saying superlatives.

They are essentially saying that the game would be best in many categories on Xbox, but because there are no other contenders in each of those accolade categories you can't give an award without other contenders - and that is the fault of Microsoft failing to deliver more games, and not a criticism of the game in the review.

A game doesn't need other first party contenders to receive accolades. It can stand on its own. Whatever the author was trying to say, that sentence was a poorly written mess.

PaintTinJr

A game doesn't need other first party contenders to receive accolades. It can stand on its own. Whatever the author was trying to say, that sentence was a poorly written mess.
Yeah, completely agree that the sentence fails to say what they intended, and for just another paragraph could have sold the sentence as the backhanded compliment they intended.

You can give the game those accolades, but I agree with the implied meaning in the metro review that the accolades without besting something else shouldn't be given.

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah, completely agree that the sentence fails to say what they intended, and for just another paragraph could have sold the sentence as the backhanded compliment they intended.

You can give the game those accolades, but I agree with the implied meaning in the metro review that the accolades without besting something else shouldn't be given.

Hard to know what was intended, frankly. Too much left to interpretation.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
If someone goes into a review with preconceived notions drawn from unfounded biases then I would be wary of allowing a review code for that outlet.

Eurogamer has shown they have such notions. Maybe they shouldn't show their own favoritism, as this just foments publisher's favoritism. Now it's a vicious cycle, including these recent tweets.

I remember when XSX first came out, Microsoft sent consoles to folks who were known to be negative on Microsoft. How'd that turn out?

Three

If someone goes into a review with preconceived notions drawn from unfounded biases then I would be wary of allowing a review code for that outlet.

Eurogamer has shown they have such notions. Maybe they shouldn't show their own favoritism, as this just foments publisher's favoritism. Now it's a vicious cycle, including these recent tweets.
Does Axios, Eurogamer, Metro, The Guardian, and all of ReedPop have some kind of bias I'm not aware of?
I remember when XSX first came out, Microsoft sent consoles to folks who were known to be negative on Microsoft. How'd that turn out?
Like who? They gave special access to the likes of DF and Austin Evans.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

Does Axios, Eurogamer, Metro, The Guardian, and all of ReedPop have some kind of bias I'm not aware of?
Trying a little bing search with: "gaming awards metro UK" to see what yearly awards Metro UK could have given to Hi-Fi rush at the end of the year, it suspiciously returned a very shilly set of awards in the article below:

downing on eFootball that is still far superior to any Fifa, despite being a rubbish PES looked paid all the way, along with Xbox being format of the year and Forza for innovation really make no sense unless paid. So my theory is this is all staged, and what we will see is all those held back reviews are for a second wave of influenced reviews. It is a shame really, because hopefully the game is really great, and with them pulling the £1/$1 gamepass trial, a PC demo for a new IP would really do the trick to let the game speak for itself.

Last edited:

GymWolf

If you have confidence in your product surely you give it to everybody you possibly can for review?
Nah, when you know that some of these lunatics are gonna actively gave you a lower score because they hate you, there is no need to give them anything.

If it is bad to give codes only to selected reviewers it is also bad to have reviewers that are gonna fuck years and years of devs work for stupid ass reasons, i surely know what is worse between the 2...

People should not care about reviews, full stop, so you can avoid bias from both sides.

Watch a lot of footage, listen to some streamer or youtuber or gaffer with your same taste and then decide by yourself, on pc you even have 2 hours of try before asking for a refund, modern reviews are trash anyway, a bunch of inepts wannabe journalists with shitty ideologies and poor gaming skills that need to rush every game they review to respect an embargo date, and you want this people to tell you if a game is good or not? If the combat is good or deep? If the writing is good? Fuck that.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
What’s your point here? That’s entirely fair comment lol.

Is this seriously how it works in your mind?

They criticised the Xbox release schedule and so they’re just an enemy of your favourite brand/multinational corporation so they can just be denied prompt access to future titles?

How is saying they cannot give a game "accolades" because Xbox has had a poor "release schedule" a "fair comment"?

Interfectum

What’s your point here? That’s entirely fair comment lol.

Is this seriously how it works in your mind?

They criticised the Xbox release schedule and so they’re just an enemy of your favourite brand/multinational corporation so they can just be denied prompt access to future titles?
Potentially withholding accolades from the game because of the platform? What does the Xbox release schedule have to do with the quality of the game? It's not a fair comment unless you are some lame ass console warrior.

Last edited:

Three

How is saying they cannot give a game "accolades" because Xbox has had a poor "release schedule" a "fair comment"?
This has been discussed in the thread already. They mean that the accolades like "best xbox series exclusive" don't mean much because there is very little else to go up against because of the poor release schedule. So they are limited in that sense.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
This has been discussed in the thread already. They mean that the accolades like "best xbox series exclusive" don't mean much because there is very little else to go up against because of the poor release schedule. So they are limited in that sense.

That's what they should have said if that is what was meant. Too easy to misinterpret.

Jigsaah

Gold Member

Like who? They gave special access to the likes of DF and Austin Evans.
Step 1: Go to Google
Step 2: Search "Metro UK Microsoft Rich Bullies"
Step 3: Profit

or just click here

https://metro.co.uk/2023/07/15/microsoft-are-rich-bullies-so-of-course-xbox-has-won-with-activision-19133026/

I'm not sure about the rest of them, I'm not really familiar. I can't even say I disagree with said article. However, if they are all affiliated, then it kinda makes sense. My point is, from Microsoft's point of view, this is probably unwarranted and may give them pause when considering who has access to the biggest game of their generation.

As for your other question, honestly I cannot remember, it's been 3 years. I do remember seeing on youtube that certain folks that were very positive on Xbox did not get console previews but Microsoft was actively trying to convince naysayers. I don't think they were necessarily big youtubers by any stretch.

My point there is, Sony is still dominating, so doing the opposite doesn't help them either.

Last edited:

Three

Step 1: Go to Google
Step 2: Search "Metro UK Microsoft Rich Bullies"
Step 3: Profit

or just click here

https://metro.co.uk/2023/07/15/microsoft-are-rich-bullies-so-of-course-xbox-has-won-with-activision-19133026/
I'm not sure about the rest of them, I'm not really familiar. I can't even say I disagree with said article. However, if they are all affiliated, then it kinda makes sense. My point is, from Microsoft's point of view, this is probably unwarranted and may give them pause when considering who has access to the biggest game of their generation.
"A reader is frustrated that Microsoft is buying Activision Blizzard but is particularly angry at how poorly the FTC made its arguments."
"By reader Lamstrom"

If you think that's reason to boycott the publication then that's some Putin shit from MS you're advocating.

As for your other question, honestly I cannot remember, it's been 3 years. I do remember seeing on youtube that certain folks that were very positive on Xbox did not get console previews but Microsoft was actively trying to convince naysayers. I don't think they were necessarily big youtubers by any stretch.

My point there is, Sony is still dominating, so doing the opposite doesn't help them either.
I don't remember MS sending xbox to anybody "known to be negative on Microsoft". Who would that even be as a hypothetical? They were giving previews or sending them to the likes of DF, Jeff Grub, Austin Evans, Tom Warren, Jez etc.

What negative press did the Series consoles even receive from outlets? If anything the lack of games on release and the lies they were feeding people about Series S, raytracing in Minecraft, Halo, cg trailers of unready games etc, mostly went unchecked by the gaming press for years.

Last edited:

oji-san

Banned
"A reader is frustrated that Microsoft is buying Activision Blizzard but is particularly angry at how poorly the FTC made its arguments."
"By reader Lamstrom"

If you think that's reason to boycott the publication then that's some Putin shit from MS you're advocating.

I don't remember MS sending xbox to anybody "known to be negative on Microsoft". Who would that even be as a hypothetical? They were giving previews or sending them to the likes of DF, Jeff Grub, Austin Evans, Tom Warren, Jez etc.

What negative press did the Series consoles even receive from outlets? If anything the lack of games on release and the lies they were feeding people about Series S, raytracing in Minecraft, Halo, cg trailers of unready games etc, mostly went unchecked by the gaming press for years.
Go buy them a copy if that hurt your feelings so much. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

VN1X

Banned
More than dead... The information about videogames is in the hands of people like that.
Reviews before playing a Game ... LOL 🙃

The truth is that I do not understand such a lack of neurons and that this does not imply a penalty but the opposite... I do not understand how someone who sees these things can later take seriously the opinions, evaluations and content about video games (or about anything) of people like that.

What did this say?

Darsxx82

What did this say?

An IGN journalist/producer..... She says that she hasn't played Starfield yet but, even so, she sees it right to review the game based on her feelings based on what has been published and Starfield direct...
Her Review?: Basically that Starfield will not be a reference in any aspect (story, shooting, gameplay, graphics, interactivity, quest...) and of course nothing that is going to be worth recognizing.

After the reactions to that tweet, she decided to delete it...

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
"By reader Lamstrom"

I literally said I can't really say I disagree with the article. So no, I'm not advocating for anything. I'm simply pointing out things like this as a possibility as to why Microsoft has chosen to go this route.

No need to get sensitive about it.

Marvel14

Banned
Here I'm going to do it for you:

1. Huge world, great exploration, not as revolutionary as was promised
2. Some copy/paste or activities and systems from Skyrim
3. Some bugs, pretty standard Bethesda fare

9/10

You like Bethesda games? Buy it
You like Skyrim in space? Buy it
You like open-world RPG and are ok with sci-fi? Buy it

What quality? You see everything in the trailers, this is what the game looks like and plays. That goes for 99% of games out there.

Also - what investment? The game is available on Game Pass.
Great review but doesn't tell me enough to be sold as i am not sure ill like it. Have nothing against the game ,- do find it hilarious that as usual the people who want to shit on a good product always come out of the woodwork to 💩.

But on the argument:
1. Are you really saying you can judge gameplay quality just by watching videos?

I disagree, usually you need a mix of both videos and some review aggregation from lots of consumers/ reviewers to have a decent information set to decide. If you were right the review industry would gave gone out of business by now.

2. Since when is gamepass free? I guess what you're saying is the cost for individual users is spread out and affordable which is fair enough. But you're forgetting the time investment. You could easily spend 10- 20 hrs working out if you really like a game or not...not trivial.

Top Bottom