• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody is missing the main problem in Halo Infinite

the_master

The biggest problem was not that it was open world halo--that seems like it could be pretty cool--the biggest problem is that the first object was exact same thing in different locations. Immediately, it went from the sense of wonder and unknown of exploring this alien ring which Halo 1 captured so well, and gave the player a clear and rote objective. When you show the gameplay loop so obviously people aren't going to keep that sense of wonder. They're not going to care about exploration, they're going to go from objective to objective as fast as possibly because it sends the message that there's nothing interesting in the world between objectives. This is something that Breath of the Wild did really well--obfuscating the gameplay loop a little bit by not showing the player explicitly where the shrines were and filling the world with location specific quests that weren't telegraphed. Halo Infinite looks like it's gone the Ubisoft route, and that sucks because a sense of wonder is what made Halo 1 so special to me.
Very good point. The mission they showcase is "Destroy this 3 identical turrets" Yeah amazing, do the same thing 3 times and the go over there to do another thing 4 times as well...

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
The good: it's still Halo.
The bad: it's too much Halo.

It's like playing again and again the same game, despite the open world, despite the hook.

The gameplay looked like a beta of Destiny. Not current Destiny, the original. 343 needs to hire new designers and put this baby back in the oven.

JoduanER2

You saw 5min, probably 0.1% of the whole map. I don't think every mission is just random opponents scattered over the map

So you are saying that for the, supposedly "big gameplay reveal" of Halo Infinite, they decided to show one of the "boring" parts. It doesn't make any sense.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
So you are saying that for the, supposedly "big gameplay reveal" of Halo Infinite, they decided to show one of the "boring" parts. It doesn't make any sense.
It has already been clarified by people in the know. This was an early build to show Microsoft what they've been up to 1 year ago and that progress had been made.

Jaxcellent

Maybe if the do the RT on the guns they will look alot better.. and maybe when we see more of the game we will like it more. So far a bit underwhelming... The 4k stream does look better but the live stream looked like 2001. The games need much better animations... And a much more cinematic feel to it... IMO

Entroyp

For me Halo 4 felt stale, so imagine my reaction to this trailer which looks like it brought the series back to 20 years ago. Animations are stiff as hell, the reticule in the middle of the screen feels off too, movement looks weird but not that bad. We didn’t ignore all these issues is just that the graphics were so underwhelming it’s difficult to ignore.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Looked like a blast to me honestly.

Maybe you just dont dig Halo anymore?
Dude. Bruh. Frere.

Come on.

It looks worse than Guardian.

It shouldn't look worse than Guardian.

The brute NPC in the end looked like something out of an AA indie game.

I don't think that anyone questions the gameplay - they all thought it was solid Halo gameplay.

This is ... like Marvel vs Capcom Infinite (man, what IS IT with the Infinite subtitle - is it a curse or something?). Solid gameplay, crappy visuals.

Halo shouldn't have crappy visuals. It deserves a LOT better than this.

wolffy71

Banned
There have been enough comparisons to Reach and 4 to not retread on that, but the issue is definitely not trying to look like legacy Halo, it's that things seem almost untextured and flat, plus the world is still and lifeless, even in comparison to 7th and 8th gen games. It has better filtering quality than anything on those for sure, but nothing about it really says 12Tflops of eating monsters for breakfast and all their Velocity engine stuff, especially with the pop in.

The last part may have been due to running on a PC and not actually using the velocity engine, but that begs the question...Why, this late, would a demo not be running on SeX?
Yeah but even the gameplay looked like it always has. To some thats a good thing but idk how i feel about it.

Top Bottom