• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex-Naughty Dog Community Guy on DLC/Microtransactions: 'You should pay for good work'

foxbeldin

I'm all for the 'you should pay for good work' thing but unbalancing a game with P2W microtransactions so the bad players can beat the good ones doesn't feel like "good work" to me.

MilkyJoe

tTuK9I8.gif

Klossen

Banned
He certainly did. Which is why I stopped playing TLOU MP, because it got riddled with a ton of people using them.

Wow. That's bullshit. This just makes matters worse for casuals who aren't invested in the game. They sure as hell won't be looking at the PS store for weapons to buy. Those invested in the game will be though.

As much as I hate microtransactions, I understand that I'm in the minority
Are you though?

"A clear-cut example of that is the burst rifle in The Last of Us. A lot of people thought 'Why are they charging for guns?' We did the research and noticed that a lot of players were having trouble jumping into the game for the first time, so we wanted to give people a weapon that was easily accessible and would give them a bit of a leg-up. There were other weapons if they were a more experienced player that they could buy – it's up to them. If you're already kicking ass, you probably don't need these, but if you want 'em, have 'em. It's just a matter of personal preference.

This is also a great way to NOT give a clear cut answer.

Personal preference can be in the decision to purchase it but making your game pay 2 win over it is not the same as "well you wanted a gun!". That means someone else's personal choice is now degrading the experience for someone who did not make the same choice.

"A clear-cut example of that is the burst rifle in The Last of Us. A lot of people thought 'Why are they charging for guns?' We did the research and noticed that a lot of players were having trouble jumping into the game for the first time, so we wanted to give people a weapon that was easily accessible and would give them a bit of a leg-up. There were other weapons if they were a more experienced player that they could buy – it's up to them. If you're already kicking ass, you probably don't need these, but if you want 'em, have 'em. It's just a matter of personal preference.
Wow. What he describes here is just bad game design.
In an beautifully designed game mode. Don't get me wrong...

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Wow. That's bullshit. This just makes matters worse for casuals who aren't invested in the game. They sure as hell won't be looking at the PS store for weapons to buy. Those invested in the game will be though.
Exactly.

AKyemeni

Burst Rifle?

That wasn't DLC...

So what the hell are they talking about? Besides, all the regular stuff was way better than the DLC they offered. All the competitive guys (me included) used the non-DLC items cuz they worked better.

foxbeldin

Best quote from the article
Edit: This article previously stated that Eric Monacelli is community strategist at Naughty Dog. He has since moved to Infinity Ward as director of communications.

Edit: This article previously stated that Eric Monacelli is community strategist at Naughty Dog. He has since moved to Infinity Ward as director of communications.

finley83

Banned
This guy doesn't work for Naughty Dog any more, it's stated at the end that he moved on. This is a personal expression and not representative of the Company, etc.

(For the record, I hate MT's with a passion, especially in this game)

Edit: too slow

He's in a position to know more than you, and yet you're sure that "a lot of it" is cut to later be sold separate from the main game. Okay...

As a dev there's probably no point wading in to this but...

During development your scope is invariably larger than you will be able to complete (insert maxim about work expanding to fill space/time etc). To hit your street date you scope down and cut the work you don't think you can complete that will have the least effect on the quality of the final product.

Towards ship you branch. The final game goes out, but the content team keeps working on things that couldn't make the ship date. You resurrect that cut level and repurpose and build something new and put it out there. Is the original purchaser entitled to it because it was being worked on while the game still wasn't out?

What if you didn't start repurposing work on it until the second DLC or some later TU? Is the purchaser still entitled to it?

What if you didn't resurrect it until the next game? Is the purchaser still entitled to it?

Ultimately it doesn't matter when a piece of content was 'developed'. The only thing a consumer can do is evaluate the product on sale at the time of purchase and decide if the value exchange is a good one.

I don't speak for my employer yada yada.

Ullus

We did the research and noticed that a lot of players were having trouble jumping into the game for the first time, so we wanted to give people a weapon that was easily accessible and would give them a bit of a leg-up.
what about level/KD capping a weapon instead of selling it then? oh right, money

Septic360

Banned
Yer I just noticed that. The last line is a bit out of context OP.

The you should pay for good work is talking about Left Behind dlc which is fair enough.

Edited the post for clarity and falafels.

Still, his reasoning on the weapons etc....ughhh...ulcer inducing

Are the DLC weapons in the TLOU MP better than the default weapons? I have not played the game so I can't speak from experience, but the way he phrases his third point makes it sound like they are.

If that's the case, fuck that. If I have to pay to be on a level playing field with other players, I'm out.

I do agree with his other points - good DLC is worth paying for, and content in DLC is not necessarily content that would be in the game if the concept of DLC didn't exist.

Ahem ...

Eric Monacelli is a glorified community manager, not a developer. He also no longer works for Naughty Dog, but Infinity Ward.

Hoje0308

Banned
I'm sure he goes to every studio to see how they do their work and cuts, yeah ok...

Like I said, it's been proven it happens with content on disc and sold later. Also, some games are just easy to see they had things cut and or at least unfinished. We pay for games that aren't worth 60 is enough of a reason.

The point is that you almost certainly know less than he does about the industry and yet you're so eager to dismiss his statement while asserting yours which, again, is informed by less knowledge of the industry than his. So yeah, lets see your proof that the problem is rampant.

Garlador

"Good work"?

P2W is more like being Good Worked Over.

Love Naughty Dog, but this wasn't one of their better or gamer-friendly decisions.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Microtransactions should only be for cosmetic items I feel. Charging money for 'powerful and accessible guns' is a big no-no in my book. I am also not a fan of ND MP games after they royally fucked up UC2 with patch 1.05. They simply do not give a fuck about what their fans think.

Soulflarz

Banned
I'm on mobile but TLoU's DLC is not another TLoU

If adding a long level is suddenly the same as a second game....well I dunno. Is Battlefront's season pass Battlefront 1-3?

kiguel182

I mean sure, you should pay for good work.

But when that work is a weapon on top of a 60 dollar purchase then maybe they could include it in. You know, supporting your paying costumers and all.

I would say is argument is better when it comes to free-to-play games and such. Micro transactions of a 60 dollar release doesn't sit well at me regardless. Games are already expensive.

Gbraga

I think it's complicated. I can see it from their point of view, it does take work to make these new weapons, but maybe not having new content can be for the best if it means the game's balance remains intact. Maybe if we could also buy them with in-game currency?

jjonez18

They killed the flow of TLOU multiplayer with their dlc. And he seems to be content with it. Nothing like getting mowed down by a group of people running to spawns with dlc shotguns/rifle hybrids.

Hope Uncharted takes a turn for the better and doesn't try to give new players a "leg up".

And people got so fucking defensive in the thread calling them out.

ND may make some of the best games but their MT policy is pure, smooth bullshit.

Hoje0308

Banned
There are hot debates around this all the time in the office, because everybody's got their own opinion. For me, the more thought that's put into DLC, the more you should be able to charge for it, because it's one of those things where you're creating another game unto itself – The Last of Us: Left Behind was another game. It's essentially the second Last of Us game, right?

It's work, and you should pay for good work.

Intentionally misleading quote job by the OP, especially when you consider what he wrote after the "pay for good work" statement.

Locking off a weapon behind a paywall is good work you should pay for apparently.

Pretty obvious what your intentions were.

Top Bottom