• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Expect less talk, more games again from Sony E3

Am I the only who suddenly now expects *more* talk?

Why would he lie about something like that? It's really him acknowledging how well last years show went over when there was very little talk and it really was just game after game. 90s would basically be him giving a short introduction and then introducing another game and him coming out again at the end to wrap up the show and possibly doing a "One more thing" announcement as he did with TLoUPII at PSX.

mPG5qze.gif

To make things worse.. they are good actors 😂
They look like they are having a great time standing in front of dem perfectly placed burgers.

I can't believe it is E3 time! I been watching easy allies all week. Damn I can't wait

Edit: Phantom Wail sounds like something you tell people to to catch a leaker.

Humdinger

I'd be okay if they slowed down the pace a little. I'm an older guy, and last year's conference nearly gave me a stroke. Too much goodness all at once. Take it easy on me, Sony.

I'd be okay if they slowed down the pace a little. I'm an older guy, and last year's conference nearly gave me a stroke. Too much goodness all at once. Take it easy on me, Sony.

Sony's conference last year was probably the best one I've seen in my 17 years of following E3 closely. I hope this year's format is very similar.

RedSwirl

have you ever thought that maybe MS doesn't have enough "new" big games in development two or three years out? They can show a halo 5 for the current year but then they can't really announce halo 6 three years out? Same with gears. They can announce forza Motorsport for the current year but they can't also announce forza horizon 3 for the following year... it is just known quantities as far as studios and games they have in development. I agree they do have a surprise game sometimes like a dead rising or something but for the most part they tease what they can and if they have exciting new games in development two or three years out they would tease it like scalebound, crackdown state of decay etc... too bad they are not e3 winning announcements and ms should be actively trying to secure those if they want the same reactions. The hardcore games announcements that win e3 are not something ms seems to be after and you can't blame Sony for being able to secure games like shenmue or ff7r with exclusive arrangements.

Well you're right. It doesn't. Exclusives are Microsoft's big problem (even though I don't really like the idea of exclusives all that much anymore, I'd prefer platforms differentiate each other with platform features).

I'm just saying, I personally tend to tune out the kinds of announcements I know are three-plus years out. Part of it is because I tend to want to see tangible gamepaly footage from E3, not target renders and CG trailers. I'm not saying one company or another has a lack of that at its conferences, I'm just saying I'm not going to get excited for FFVII R, Death Stranding, or Shenmue III until I know what they actually look like.

I personally like the sales talk; it gives me a chance to check GAF for reactions and use the bathroom. Last year I had to wait until after the show to see GAF reactions!

I do like this new format though :)

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I mean last years was just a glorified playlist of trailers. I get what they're going for but at some point they might as well just throw the videos up on YouTube and say here you go.

I sweat I don't understand this. What did Sony do before the last two years that was so important to a "TRUE E3 EXPERIENCE"? E3 is a glorified playlist of trailers. It's why we hype it so much.

Burglekutt

Cool, but make sure to have a "one last thing."

I consider any E3 presentation without something like that to be a bit of a disappointment. I also love the "available for download right now" moments, even if Im not particularly interested in the game in question.

newjeruse

I consider any E3 presentation without something like that to be a bit of a disappointment. I also love the "available for download right now" moments, even if Im not particularly interested in the game in question.
It's just an easy way to end on a strong note.

jiggle

Some talk is good
Ffviir shenmue bomb dropping wouldn't be as impactful if they were just rando trailer reel

Wereroku

After reading about how much he enjoyed being a behind the scenes guy it makes sense that he would push a content focused conference instead of talking heads.

They need to invite old girl that does the vocals for the Persona songs, announce a new game that's completely out of left field, then have her sing The Last Surprise immediately afterwards.

You know that the singer for each of the 3 modern Persona games are different people right?

The one that did the songs for P5 is not 'old'

greatness awaits...again
For the past two years, they've definitely been giving us just that; greatness. Can't believe I'm saying this but I may end up liking the PS4 more than the PS2 by the end, and that's not something I thought I'd ever say, considering how I felt about it in it's earlier years :p

I hope we see more games releasing between now and e3 2018 and less games 3 plus years off, that stuff is cool but i wanna see things ill be playing soon

I hope we see more games releasing between now and e3 2018 and less games 3 plus years off, that stuff is cool but i wanna see things ill be playing soon
Yeah, that's the one thing I don't like about Sony's E3s. Their big announcements can often be years down the road as opposed to coming out soon or next year, which kind of lessens my excitement when I realize I'll have to wait so long for them, albeit that's mostly on Square Enix's end. At least Sony's own games aren't usually announced TOO far in advance

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
mark cerny comes out on stage, covered in 3 different robes all wrapped in chains. a live band plays tense, thrilling music as he puts on a show attempting to remove the chains before a timer counts down to..what?

he almost doesn't make it, but right as there's only 1 second left he removes the final chain.

he stands silently for a moment, only to suddenly rip off the robes bruce almighty style. his shirt reads "vita is life" and the countdown counts the final second.

alarms go off all over the stadium as a glass box is lowered from the ceiling. as it hangs a few feet above the ground, mark circles it to show it off, magician style. he smirks and headbutts the box, shattering it into a million pieces.

inside is a note, he unfolds it, he can't believe his eyes. not even mark knew this was coming, how could they do this? how is this possible?

he holds the note up so the main camera can zoom in; it's displayed on every screen in the arena.

as mark cerny vomits on the ground from sheer shock and happiness, the note reads "ps4 PROtable summer 2018"

a man in a crash bandicoot costume rushes the stage and rips mark cernys head off. he presents it to the crowd. the cheering and applause is so loud every window in the building shatters and every other event, including sony's, is immediately shut down.

best conference ever

Lol wtf

Karu

I took the Brace Yourself-E3 2017 Sony trailer as confirmation that Red Dead2, Death Stranding, Detroit, Days Gone and TLOU2 will all be there, but seen little mention of it and a lot of hoping and guessing. Am I missing something?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFNNlrAPaDU&t=5s

Great that they keep the format from last year, was the perfect press conference.

Wonder how long that's going to make the show. knowing the format now, I hope it's long!

The less they talk, the shorter they get. At this rate it'll be an hour with a few extra minutes.
2013: 1:47
2014: 1:46
2015: 1:31
2016: 1:17

But since they have a shitload of 3rd party games marketing rights I expect it to be a tad longer than last year's conference.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I took the Brace Yourself-E3 2017 Sony trailer as confirmation that Red Dead2, Death Stranding, Detroit, Days Gone and TLOU2 will all be there, but seen little mention of it and a lot of hoping and guessing. Am I missing something?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFNNlrAPaDU&t=5s

Great that they keep the format from last year, was the perfect press conference.

PlayStation News isn't official, bub. Here is their About description:

"Uploading PlayStation related videos. Not "News" per se. Much more active on Instagram"

Definitely do not expect RDR2 on any stage or show floor.

Top Bottom