• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extensive new details on Zelda Breath of the Wild from Game Informer (Maybe spoilers)

I really didn't expect that horses could die. That is going to make my wife sad.

Really loving everything I'm hearing, though it is going to be interesting to see how it all works out in the end. Zelda, in general, is pretty formulaic in terms of how they teach the player by giving them an item, then an opportunity to use it, then reinforce. With the ability to do whatever you want, I want to see how they end up teaching in this game.

AntMurda

I almost regret reading the OP now. All the new small gameplay mechanics sound awesome.

300 devs on a Zelda game sounds insane. Obviously Monolith is helping but still...

Obviously Nintendo is the lead team but Skyward Sword had Digitalscape/MonolithSoft/Digital Media Lab and others providing additional graphics/animation/mocap. Not to mention SRD/MarioClub which are Nintendo tech teams.

"–Simpler approach with dungeons in Breath of the WIld
– Game Informer didn’t see the familiar chest opening animation and signature music
– Never found a signature Zelda item or compass"

Well, damn. With the assumption going around that there will only be four proper dungeons, I've hoped that those four dungeons will at least be very complex. This, however, kinda reads like the opposite.

Would be rather disappointing to me as I'm kinda worried that the open world gameplay loop could get old relatively quickly.

"– Groups were created out of the over 300 devs to work on specific sections of the world"

I dislike this as well. It obviously makes sense to handle it this way, but they did the same thing in Skyward Sword and as a result the different areas' quality varied wildly.

Maybe they showed him the first dungeon and that is always the easiest. I wouldnt worry so much for now and guess there will still be so complex puzzles in the game. And if it is just a kind of "how the heck should i ever get to that place" in the overworld.

I also think they learned from Skyward Swords mistakes and took care that the world feels the same. Sure you always have parts you dislike but as they tested the game always in development they probably saw a lot of stuff early enough to change and twist it so it is still fun in the end.
It sounded like they invested a lot more time for testing the game and to make it feel really good.

Edit:

Interesting that Nintendo didnt showed him any towns. I mean he played a lot of the game and still the infos are nearly the same we all already knew. Still no word about towns, quests more of the overworld in general. How big the game really feels, if there is a lot to do in it and so on.

I really like the idea of all main bosses being a form of Ganon because clearly there is no shortage of boss characters in the overworld.

Chaos17

Aonuma talks about Zelda as a character and how reactive she is in the game. He says she has a lot of different emotions in the game and you can discover different sides of her. She will also get mad at you and scold you rather than being passive. But he also says that players might completely miss out on these details depending on what they choose to ignore in the game. Sounds like there's going to be some extensive time spent with an AI Zelda at least.

You're right he did said that, I forgot for a moment because the article said there will be no companion like usual. *thinking*

Yeah, that confirms that the 4 Guardians are the dungeons. Pretty disappointing since they all share the same mechanical theming, but that these are simpler and have no dungeon item is really, really disappointing.

I was so much looking forward to get lost in a Zelda dungeon again and it looks like my wish won't get granted.

Waji

I don't care even a little about chests sounds/animation.
If it means getting items faster, then that's good.
The atmosphere is calm and doesn't need that kind of big jingle.

No companion as in no navi or fi, not no companion as in no NPC to help you out. Clearly that isn't the case since wolf Link is a companion, we've seen the different races have a larger role, AND a Gamexplains video has a character fighting with link that looks like the Ruto
I guess I read it as the worst possible outcome but well we could indeed think of the word companion only as the useless guide, you're most certainly right about that.
But I'm not holding my breath
of the wild

Alienous

Given the open-ended design of the game I could understand them not having traditional Dungeon items.

If the Dungeon they played revolved around solving puzzles by tilting it then perhaps the Dungeon puzzle 'item' will be replaced by Shiekah Slate interaction with the Dungeon you're within. So there isn't some item sitting in your inventory useless, but rather Dungeons intricately designed around a single mechanic that is discarded at its conclusion. Then the Dungeon doesn't have to consider what items you have or don't have.

So you can beat the Final boss at the beginning. Interesting.

Also Zelda can get mad at you??? I wonder what the circumstances are?

M-PG71C

Sounds good, putting Zelda on top of its head looks like its paying off. I'm happy they are breaking away from traditions. It is time for change. And change is good.

Flare

Some of these changes will no doubt make certain Zelda fans averse, but I'm ready for experimentation. Those details sound pretty cool, can't wait to see how it all comes together.

Given the open-ended design of the game I could understand them not having traditional Dungeon items.

If the Dungeon they played revolved around solving puzzles by tilting it then perhaps the Dungeon puzzle 'item' will be replaced by Shiekah Slate interaction with the Dungeon you're within. So there isn't some item sitting in your inventory useless, but rather Dungeons intricately designed around a single mechanic that is discarded at its conclusion. Then the Dungeon doesn't have to consider what items you have or don't have.

This is what I'm thinking they have to do, too.

Edit: Though if there are optional dungeons, I could totally see you needing something in order to do them.

Mouse Cop

So the 4 roaming dungeon theory is confirmed. Also, really think they showed off either one or two dungeons in the latest trailer. Link is shown to be running though moving corridors, which I assume is him inside the dungeon. Not sure how to feel about this, I do feel relief in knowing that there is a boss at least. From the article, it also seems like they're going to get rid of keys and use the Sheikah Slate to open doors and progress through the dungeon, at least I think so anyway.

Still super hyped for the game, but no themed dungeons is kind of deflating. I had hoped for TP-esque dungeon design.

I'm cool with the mechanical beasts being the dungeons, just hope they have unique aesthetics on the inside.
I wouldn't be surprised if Hyrule Castle/Ganon's Castle is a 5th and final dungeon.

Pinky

Banned
Wind Blight Ganon, huh? Sounds like Ganon's essence/spirit will be present in all the major dungeon bosses. Interesting.

I got a major sad face when I read that your horses can get killed. :(

Overall, my hype keeps growing. This game is going to be ridiculously good! I can feel it!

Edit: In regards to all weapons not being invincible, I would assume the Master Sword isn't part of this equation. I think they're referring to every other weapon you come across. I could be wrong though. I mean, the Master Sword in this game looks pretty old and beat up, so there could be more to it this time around.

duckroll

"– Groups were created out of the over 300 devs to work on specific sections of the world"

I dislike this as well. It obviously makes sense to handle it this way, but they did the same thing in Skyward Sword and as a result the different areas' quality varied wildly.

To clarify, the article actually mentions that criticisms towards Skyward Sword's world directly influenced how they set out to design and craft the one in BotW. They understood that people found the areas separated too artificially. The article also talks about how it's not just a manner of dividing labor to create areas. It's the opposite. They actually formed entire sub-divisions this time among the staff, and each took complete ownership of a large area. Not only are they responsible for everything within that area, but they constantly test the content among themselves to improve it as a manner of pride because it is "their" part of the game as opposed to just a segment they were told to work on.

Chaos17

So the 4 roaming dungeon theory is confirmed.
It's not confirmed since the player was warped into 1 by Nintendo. So there is no new infos about the exact number of available dungeons. Like mod said on previous page, we don't have the context. So let's not jump to conclusion.

I'm cool with the mechanical beasts being the dungeons, just hope they have unique aesthetics on the inside.
I wouldn't be surprised if Hyrule Castle/Ganon's Castle is a 5th and final dungeon.

They will share the same asthetics for every guardian dungeons, similar to the shrines. We saw 2 shots in the trailer. Sadly.

Man, I'm a bit letdown by this. I too hoped for a more complex dungeon design and variety in it. The moving dungeons idea in theory sounds cool but that they all share the same asthetics and theming and are simpler without a map and compass is a huge letdown.

It's not confirmed since the player was warped into 1 by Nintendo. So there is no new infos about the exact number of available dungeons. Like mod said on previous page, we don't have the context. So let's not jump to conclusion.

You just have to count 1+1. The dungeons are "mechanical" so of course they take place in the giant beats which are "mechanical". What else in this world is mechanical apart from the shrines?

I'm going to keep an open mind about even the four proper dungeons being smaller/simpler than traditional. Obviously it would be wonderful if one Zelda could have the best of all Zelda features and some fresh reimagining of the Zelda structure, but as long as the shrines and dungeons are still fun, I'm happy to try BotW's experiment with a radically different (hopefully improved) overworld. I also don't care that much about items being moved out of the dungeons, because Nintendo can always throw in dungeon-specific hooks if they want (e.g. a sand rod that cannot be removed from the dungeon).

I love the detail about metal/lightning and different snowboarding properties for shields.

The Lamp

I really didn't expect that horses could die. That is going to make my wife sad.

Really loving everything I'm hearing, though it is going to be interesting to see how it all works out in the end. Zelda, in general, is pretty formulaic in terms of how they teach the player by giving them an item, then an opportunity to use it, then reinforce. With the ability to do whatever you want, I want to see how they end up teaching in this game.

it's about time horses could die. Save your tears for the man who has to keep reincarnating to meet game over screens. The hero has a whole timeline dedicated to dying but the horse stays invincible? Why don't the goddesses send Epona after Ganon then.

Mouse Cop

It's not confirmed since the player was warped into 1. So there is no new infos about the exact number of available dungeons. Like mod said on previous page, we don't have the context. So let's not jump on conclusion.

My bad, you right. I figure with the knowledge that inside of dungeons "move" you can maybe draw a conclusion to it. At the very least, the theory has some strong support now. Areas leading up to dungeons are supposed to be harder to get too as well, so maybe those will be dungeon-like. It takes the idea they had in SS and could maybe expand on it? Also, it's kind of hard to read through every post, this thread is moving fast!

The Third Heat

Neo Member
As much as I didn't want to read any more info about this game, I'm glad I did. It's helping to focus my expectations, rather than continuing to believe this game will change my life without having the facts to back it up.

With $60 on the line (plus $300 if I stick with my Switch pre-order), I gotsta know as much as I can. Story stuff can stay hidden for now, but I was burned too many times by staying media blackout on some games last year, so this is good.

Top Bottom