• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extensive new details on Zelda Breath of the Wild from Game Informer (Maybe spoilers)

Flare

They will share the same asthetics for every guardian dungeons, similar to the shrines. We saw 2 shots in the trailer. Sadly.

Man, I'm a bit letdown by this. I too hoped for a more complex dungeon design and variety in it. The moving dungeons idea in theory sounds cool but that they all share the same asthetics and theming and are simpler without a map and compass is a huge letdown.

You just have to count 1+1. The dungeons are "mechanical" so of course they take place in the giant beats which are "mechanical". What else in this world is mechanical apart from the shrines?

Where does it say that the dungeons are simpler without a map or compass? Unless I've misread something, all the summary says is that the compass is not found anywhere. The Slate acts as the map for the dungeon.

We should probably wait to see how complicated the dungeons get instead of jumping to "dungeons are simpler now".

duckroll

Zelda can scold you but there are no companions? Waaaaaait a minute.

What Aonuma said is that there is no guide companion in the game because they don't want a character who is always with Link guiding him along the way. They want his journey to feel lonely and for his actions and decisions to be the player's actions and decisions. He then proceeds to talk about how the feeling of loneliness is important because he wants it to feel meaningful when you run into other characters and for there to be a warm emotional connection.

Where does it say that the dungeons are simpler without a map or compass? Unless I've misread something, all the summary says is that the compass is not found anywhere. The Slate acts as the map for the dungeon.

We should probably wait to see how complicated the dungeons get instead of jumping to "dungeons are simpler now".

– Simpler approach with dungeons in Breath of the WIld

Thats what it says.

Chaos17

You just have to count 1+1. The dungeons are "mechanical" so of course they take place in the giant beats which are "mechanical". What else in this world is mechanical apart from the shrines?

So far, Game Informer is the first to have tested a dungeon (unless I missed a thread) and all he only said about it "it was moving". I'm not disagreeing with you but something mechanical can be anything and doesn't have to move.

Though, if we continue to speculate and we're doing Shadow of Colossus approach (have to jump on big moving monsters or platform to enter dungeon) I wonder what the Zora will be. *thinking*

Raitaro

I'm getting a bit worried that there won't be (m)any traditional items returning in this game like the hookshot or boomerang if there aren't any chests in the dungeons (as far as we now know at least). Seems like all the focus is on collecting more (breakable) weapons, clothing, food and horses so far.

Seeing as combat and gathering are such a large focus in this game, it would have been cool to see at least a few iconic items come back as permanent gear that have abilities to aid in combat or item gathering. Would have been a somewhat fresh approach considering most of them used to be tied to puzzle solving and traversal mostly. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

I have to admit that the more I hear about this game, the more worried I'm starting to get that they might have abandoned too many typical Zelda defining things (like items, themed dungeons, etc.) for the sake of the open world, free-roaming approach, even when I really applauded their decision to go back to the series open world roots at first.

Edit: thanks for the many reply's people! Guess my worries are somewhat unfounded, going by what most of you are telling me. I would miss things like the boomerang if it's not returning (even though it might indeed be one of the the things that the orbs will "buy" you) but I agree that the larger sense of open world adventure is more important than a returning item or two (or themes in dungeons arguably). I'll be there day 1 one to check out how this game turned out along with you all, worries or not.

I'm getting a bit worried that there won't be (m)any traditional items returning in this game like the hookshot or boomerang if there aren't any chests in the dungeons (as far as we now know at least). Seems like all the focus is on collecting more (breakable) weapons, clothing, food and horses so far.

Seeing as combat and gathering are such a large focus in this game, it would have been cool to see at least a few iconic items come back as permanent gear that have abilities to aid in combat or item gathering. Would have been a somewhat fresh approach considering most of them used to be tied to puzzle solving and traversal mostly. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

I have to admit that the more I hear about this game, the more worried I'm starting to get that they might have abandoned too many typical Zelda defining things (like items, themed dungeons, etc.) for the sake of the open world, free-roaming approach, even when I really applauded their decision to go back to the series open world roots at first.

I'm okay if the boomerang is gone (I don't think it will be) because we got rods!!!!

m4st4

What Aonuma said is that there is no guide companion in the game because they don't want a character who is always with Link guiding him along the way. They want his journey to feel lonely and for his actions and decisions to be the player's actions and decisions. He then proceeds to talk about how the feeling of loneliness is important because he wants it to feel meaningful when you run into other characters and for there to be a warm emotional connection.

That makes sense, thanks. Yeah I was just watching chuggaaconroy's Skyward Sword walkthrough and Fi is non-stop talking, everybody is, at the beginning, so annoying. As for Zelda, I believe she'll be integral to this story to a point where she's spending a good while with Link.

I remember in the E3 demo they trade Spirit Orb(s) for the Glider. Since we don't know what else the Orbs do, I'd assume a few traditional items will re-appear in exchange for the Orbs.

NSESN

We also don't know if they played the smallest dungeon. But I don't care much about themed dungeons, of course it makes some dungeons awesome, but it also makes some dungeons boring.

Chaos17

Then you should check this thread, it resume the solid gameplay we saw last year with the new items: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1233823

Maybe it will comfort you a little and lift up your worries a bit about the new items :)

AoPotNH.mp4

You guys scoffing at the horse dying thing but it looks like they will die quite easily. The treehouse almost got they horse killed fucking around with a guardian. If link can die in one hit so can a horse.

Ah great. I was really hoping that the rumoured 4 dungeon count wasn't true. Although no official confirmation, it is looking likely to be true. I was also hoping that the dungeons wouldn't take the form of the mechanical beasts. Man, that is so disappointing to hear really.

I've said this before but the shrines having the same theme will get old and boring really fast and as the beasts are mechanical in nature and we've seen I guess a small snippet of it in the recent trailer, it's lackig variety.

Twilight Princess was perfect when it came to dungeon count and variety. Does this mean, we won't get the traditional Forest, Fire, and Water dungeons? *sighs* I wiated 5.5 years for this.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
So every weapon is breakable? Not sure how I feel about this.
Maybe it is possible to complete the game without using weapons (excluding Master Sword perhaps) and instead using the Sheikah Slate in inventive ways?

Ah great. I was really hoping that the rumoured 4 dungeon count wasn't true. Although no official confirmation, it is looking likely to be true. I was also hoping that the dungeons wouldn't take the form of the mechanical beasts. Man, that is so disappointing to hear really.

I've said this before but the shrines having the same theme will get old and boring really fast and as the beasts are mechanical in nature and we've seen I guess a small snippet of it in the recent trailer, it's lackig variety.

Twilight Princess was perfect when it came to dungeon count and variety. Does this mean, we won't get the traditional Forest, Fire, and Water dungeons? *sighs* I wiated 5.5 years for this.

I feel the pain and your disappointment. Its sad since this was shaping up to be the ultimate Zelda game. But a lack of variety in theming of the dungeons and overall more simpler dungeons is a no-go especiall because the shrines are looking so similar to each other and are also pretty simple and puzzle based. I would hope the dungeons would be the direct opposite of that and more complex.

I feel the pain and your disappointment. Its sad since this was shaping up to be the ultimate Zelda game. But a lack of variety in theming of the dungeons and overall more simpler dungeons is a no-go

It's crazy how afraid and resistant some are to change. I've been playing Zelda for 30 years and I couldn't be more excited for this game's new direction.

13ruce

Banned
The best part i like is that you have to place markers on places of interest by yourself, 100 seems like a good number of markers you can place.

I will take 4 dungeons gladly with all of the shrines and seemingly things to do in the overworld.

MM is my favorite game and i think it gets by amazingly well with it's 4 dungeons because there is so much going on outside of the dungeons

gamerMan

Me too. While the overworlds in the last few Zelda games have been a bit weak, the dungeons have always been great. Even the first game had great dungeons and items that you would collect in the dungeons. I hope they didn't break what made Zelda great with an emphasis on the open world. Without great dungeons, this game might not live up to my expectations.

I have to agree with some others that I'll likely find it pretty disappointing if not only do most or all shrines have the same-ish theme, but the dungeons do as well. This is what it's possibly looking like at this point. Still holding out hope for some variety with other dungeon-ish parts of the game, maybe caves etc.

duckroll

Why do people keep saying the dungeons will all look the same and that they're "mechanical" in nature? It sure doesn't look that way in Game Informer. It looks like a wooden wind themed dungeon, with a wind themed boss. :p

To prepare for BotW I decided to replay the original Zelda games on the NES Classic. I finished Zelda 1 the other day and I started Zelda 2 today. I can say for certain that the more of I play of them, the less worried I am that BotW will not feel like "Zelda" because the things it aims for are things which were literally the foundations the series started with - adventure, combat, discovery.

Having seen BotW footage over the years, I'm also not worried that there won't be toys and puzzles to play with. The Runes and Shrines look like they'll be a lot of fun, and I expect there to be a lot of items and tools which can be found in the overworld - many of them being totally optional.

I will take 4 dungeons gladly with all of the shrines and seemingly things to do in the overworld.

MM is my favorite game and i think it gets by amazingly well with it's 4 dungeons because there is so much going on outside of the dungeons

You can't compare it with MM. MM had a way smaller world and the dungeons were long and complex and more importantly, have all a unique theming which isn't the case with BOTW's dungeons. So I find that comparison a bit lacking.

So you wanted the same ol' formula again???

Yes because its great and there's nothing wrong with it.

You can't compare it with MM. MM had a way smaller world and the dungeons were long and complex and more importantly, have all a unique theming which isn't the case with BOTW's dungeons. So I find that comparison a bit lacking.

Yes because its great and there's nothing wrong with it.
It was fun but becoming stale and paint by numbers.

Mr-Joker

Banned
– No invincible weapons in the game, Nintendo says

Pre-order canceled.

Nah not really but I am going to have a rough time with this game and rarely use my strongest weapon because I don't want them to break.

jariw

So you wanted the same ol' formula again???

It's such a strange phenomenon, that some people want new games to act exactly like the old games. A new direction for a new game is bad just because it's new.

Not surprising that EA:s annual releases of the same game sell so much.

It was fun but becoming stale and paint by numbers.

That's your opinion though. I think many fans will agree with me that the dungeon concept of the previous Zelda games was great as it is. Its a unique concept to the series and the series just releases a main console game every 5 years or so, that's half an decade. Think about it.

Alienous

Pre-order canceled.

Nah not really but I am going to have a rough time with this game and rarely use my strongest weapon because I don't want them to break.

I didn't really consider it, but I do hate that in games.

Knowing that it'll break eventually also deters me from buying weapons in games. Seems like a bad investment.

That is concerning.

Fair enough. I see your point, but it just seems the overworld is going to have so much going on in it. It feels the overworld is the point of the game (hence the title). I am sorry to Zelda fans that love the entries with 8+ dungeons. But I can live with the 4 dungeons because of the shrines and the (hopefully successful) intentions of the overworld

edit: do we need to track down the dungeons? If they are moving? I love the sound of that

Atram

Interesting that they continue to be silent about the crafting system. Since every weapon can break, I bet there will be something that repairs weapons + crafting receipts.

spuckthew

So every weapon is breakable? Not sure how I feel about this.

It's dumb IMO. I personally find item durability such a fucking tediously artificial mechanic to spike difficulty.

At the very least items should just become unusable/weaker and not vanish from inventory so that they can be repaired to full power.

Chaos17

I feel the pain and your disappointment. Its sad since this was shaping up to be the ultimate Zelda game. But a lack of variety in theming of the dungeons and overall more simpler dungeons is a no-go especiall because the shrines are looking so similar to each other and are also pretty simple and puzzle based. I would hope the dungeons would be the direct opposite of that and more complex.

I think we should wait to get more details about that dungeon that the player tested maybe it wasn't that simplified like we're fearing it to be because the puzzles in the shrines I saw were fun and cool yet short wich is normal for their purpose. But still there were more than 1 way to solve the puzzle.

All we've for now is a resume made by a third party.

It's such a strange phenomenon, that some people want new games to act exactly like the old games. A new direction for a new game is bad just because it's new.

Not surprising that EA:s annual releases of the same game sell so much.

Whats funny is dampolflourken has been complaining about stale Nintendo for the past 3 years and all the sudden he taking it back lol

Top Bottom