• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extensive new details on Zelda Breath of the Wild from Game Informer (Maybe spoilers)

Charamiwa

Banned
I mean, maybe the dungeons are all mechanical and quite similar, but we still have no idea how to get there. If one of the dungeon is only accessible by finding a key in the depth of Death Mountain, the whole journey will be pretty awesome.

Maybe dungeons in this game will feel more like rewards in and of themselves, and the build up is very rewarding. At least I hope so.

Alienous

Just a guess, but Ganon's will likely be elemental. Earth, Fire,Water and Wind. With the final boss a 5th thing

Yeah, I'm wondering whch elements though.

There's the Rito, Gerudo, Goron and Zora.

So that suggests Wind, Sand (Desert), Earth and Water. Or, if the Gerudo are located at Death Mountain, maybe they'll be Fire?

Plum

I mean, maybe the dungeons are all mechanical and quite similar, but we still have no idea how to get there. If one of the dungeon is only accessible by finding a key in the depth of Death Mountain, the whole journey will be pretty awesome.

Maybe dungeons in this game will feel more like rewards in and of themselves, and the build up is very rewarding. At least I hope so.

That's exactly what they're building them up as being. We've seen in the relatively tiny Plataeu area that just to cross a ravine/river without dying you need to use your own ingenuity. Considering that the dungeons are most likely housed inside
4 roaming Colossus-type creatures
I can't imagine that they'll be easy to get to.

duckroll

I mean, maybe the dungeons are all mechanical and quite similar,

Based on the screens it would be VERY weird to have all dungeons have a wooden treehouse look with leaves and air vents all over. :p

Yeah, I'm wondering whch elements though.

There's the Rito, Gerudo, Goron and Zora.

So that suggests Wind, Sand (Desert), Earth and Water. Or, if the Gerudo are located at Death Mountain, maybe they'll be Fire?

If the theories are true, the dungeons are going to be independent of locations, which might be what Aonuma meant by dungeon (locations) not being themed. Maybe they're moving around and you need to first find one and then figure out how to lock it down because you can approach into it. So you might end up going into a wind dungeon in the desert for example. Who knows.

I'm really hoping if all Shrines share the same aesthetic, and the rumored 4 dungeons follow suit, that there is a ton of exploration in the overworld to make up for it. Zelda's always been known for featuring a huge swath of locales and environments, especially when it comes to it's dungeons.

I'm really hopeful there are tons of miniboss and large boss fights spread throughout the over world, hopefully non story related and consistently respawning for a decent challenge.

RaidenXZ

Ok i found out how the dungeon boss looks, you can find it on Zelda's reddit page if people are interested.

Looks freaking epic but it's the only dungeon boss i will look at, not gonna spoil more until launch.

Where'd you guys find it on the reddit pages? I'm having trouble finding it :p

Plum

Just saw the boss...

Holy fuck that's a cool design. I don't think there's a single design in this game I don't like, they really got the character/boss art down after most being just plain bad in TP and SS.

Spoiler me, bro

It's Beedle

THAAANK YYYOOOOUUUU

Dark Souls had weapon durability, right?

I thought I would hate that in that game, but I don't remember it ever being an issue (it was in DS2 though). I think there were weapon repair items (or you could do it at the blacksmith guy) for the weapons I really liked. I don't think I ever had a weapon break in my playthrough of it.

From the footage Zelda definitely seems to have them break more often, but hopefully we'll get repair items and eventually get weapons that last for a long, long time.

Either that or hope for a Switch gameshark/homebrew that enables you to give yourself infinite durability. :D

I think BotW's durability is going to feel very different from durability in Souls or other RPGs. We're not building Link's stats around a particular weapon, and it appears as though weapons are highly disposable. Durability may still be a bad idea--the pleasure of scrounging up new weapons and adapting on the fly may not compensate for the frequent, if mild, annoyance of weapons breaking--but I don't think it will be quite as empty a mechanic as it has been in some other games.

jariw

No invincible weapons and what I assume also implies no repairing weapons?

Welp. The game has now created a new grind. The grind I have to constantly try to find enemies with weapon types I like and farm them so I can have multiples of that weapon....

Why not have some fun with the game instead of using weapons? Use Stasis to aim a boulder directly at an enemy nest? Use Magnesis to drop a metalic chest in the head of the enemy? Or use remotely-controlled bombs? Or sneak past the enemy without combat?

Where'd you guys find it on the reddit pages? I'm having trouble finding it :p

don't bother, really isn't that great a screenshot and it doesn't show any of the dungeon behind it, best to go on full media blackout now.

Boss doesn't look that great, just a thin towering machine torso, no head or eyes or anything, sky behind him.

Pinky

Banned
WBG looks interesting, for sure. Not the best screenshot though. It's difficult to tell what it actually is. Very abstract and mechanical looking.

Plum

What if all bosses are Ganon ? :D

Well we already know that ain't the case since we've seen three named bosses already :p

But yeah, I know what you mean. I'm expecting a different Ganon element in each of the dungeons; as long as the designs are as good as the one shown and the fights are good as well I won't mind at all.

RaidenXZ

https://www.reddit.com/r/zelda/
I dunno if i may post that reddit post directly since it links to a scan. But you can find it if you scroll a bit down there.

It's a spoiler post called: Massive Spoiler ahead timeline placement possibly confirmed.

Thanks for the assist!

don't bother, really isn't that great a screenshot and it doesn't show any of the dungeon behind it, best to go on full media blackout now.

Boss doesn't look that great, just a thin towering machine torso, no head or eyes or anything, sky behind him.

And I'm just going to take a peek at the pic and back out. And then I'll patiently wait :)

Clessidor

Based on how this game is described it really will be a quite different experience. Not sure what I should think about some decisions like broken weapons. But on the other hand it might inspire you to try different fighting styles over one playthrough and not stick with the same one over the entire game.

I'm also fine with dying horses as long there isn't a depressing swamp area...

duckroll

Not the same scene shown in the GI article, but I'm pretty sure this is the same dungeon described, as seen in the latest trailer:

LaJVcSL.jpg

JobkP6E.jpg

Blueblur1

If the dungeons suck then I'm sure it'll be something that's addressed in the next major Zelda game. Its impossible for Breath of the Wild to be absolutely perfect.

heathen

Aonuma talks about Zelda as a character and how reactive she is in the game. He says she has a lot of different emotions in the game and you can discover different sides of her. She will also get mad at you and scold you rather than being passive. But he also says that players might completely miss out on these details depending on what they choose to ignore in the game. Sounds like there's going to be some extensive time spent with an AI Zelda at least.

It sounded more like you can miss cutscenes where Zelda gets mad at you if you move to the ending too quickly. I expect the secret 20 year plan amounts to a linear queue of cutscenes that will be shown in order, but the trigger points for these can be reached in any order.

Not the same scene shown in the GI article, but I'm pretty sure this is the same dungeon described, as seen in the latest trailer:

I thought so.

So is this the camel guardian? The long corridor could be in his legs and the room with the gears in his square body.

Pretty confusing that the boss is wind themed then and not sand themed. But to be fair there is already a Sand boss in the overworld.

I would really like to see the screenshots from GI though...

Astral Dog

I thought so.

So is this the camel guardian? The long corridor could be in his legs and the room with the gears in his square body.

Pretty confusing that the boss is wind themed then and not sand themed
Why the boss would be "sand" themed,sand is not even a traditional element

Caelus

If the dungeons suck then I'm sure it'll be something that's addressed in the next major Zelda game. Its impossible for Breath of the Wild to be absolutely perfect.

I doubt the dungeons will suck. People being nitpicky about dungeon count (despite the overworld containing many dungeon-like areas not counting the shrines) and the dungeons themselves being different and less traditional does not mean they will suck.

Charamiwa

Banned
I thought so.

Pretty confusing that the boss is wind themed then and not sand themed. But to be fair there is already a Sand boss in the overworld.

I would really like to see the screenshots from GI though...

Wind blight would imply this is the giant bird. Also the article says your guide is a male voice, so maybe the Rito guy?

Astral Dog

Well we already know that ain't the case since we've seen three named bosses already :p

But yeah, I know what you mean. I'm expecting a different Ganon element in each of the dungeons; as long as the designs are as good as the one shown and the fights are good as well I won't mind at all.
There could be an Earth Blight Ganon,Fire Blight Ganon,Water Blight Ganon.the possibilities are endless

Trevelyan

Banned
It's easy to tell they are probably in the flying eagle mech thing, therefore a 'wind' temple, and being able to manipulate it either right side up, sideways, or upside down. Earth would be the camel, fire the iguana and water the elephant. I'm curious about the gimmicks in those dungeons since the eagle seems to be adjusting it's position relative to the earth.

arlucool

In order to create a more of a cohesive storyline, we added this element in there that will make it a little bit more streamlined for every player. This's something I can't reveal right now, but when you play you will find out. This idea that I'm talking about is actually something I came up with when I first started developing the games. I've been harvesting this idea for 20-plus years.

God Lord Aonuma, stop with the tease, I cannot hold anymore. ;_;

Caelus

So people are already expecting the dungeons to suck? People on GAF...you guys need to chill out

You should know by now that GAF's reading comprehension is terrible and skews negative. We've been through this game having no story, no towns, no NPC's, no dungeons, and even after all of those have been confirmed, people are interpreting the streamlined approach to dungeons as elementary.

shandy706

Have to be careful during a thunderstorm, since your metal items can attract thunder

I like the sound of thunder, more of it around me by just wearing armor sounds great. Bit strange that armor attracts a sound rather than the cause of it.

Top Bottom