• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F*ck Konami: MGSV FOBs beyond the first must be bought via macrotransactions

Someone else not buying a consumer entertainment product scares you, because of the notion that their reasons might not be sufficiently justified and they'll subsequently be missing out on the experience of playing it?

How much does the idea of a child in Africa being born HIV+ scare you? No one's stopping you from playing and enjoying the game. There is a legitimate discussion to be had about anti-consumer business practices associated with this game's macrotransactions, and anti-consumer business practices will inevitably piss people off and generate bad PR, as they should.
Fair enough. I was more reffering to people suggesting others not buy it. Im weak I guess. Lets not compare childeren dying of HIV in Africa to purchasing a game from Konami though eh? That does scare me, Im not actually scared about this man, come on.. I dont like this shit either but I guess I'm too much of a MGS fanboy to take a futile stand against Konami by missing out on something I have been waiting so long for. If you got the will to do that then respect I guess.

Majukun

You'd have a point if this was MP focused game and everyone knew about the coins way beforehand.

That isn't the case here. The only people screwing us all are the ones who will pay money for the coins.

no,everyone is screwing us
just like with dlc,,if people don't STOP BUYING THE GAMES,the publishers will continue to put them until every game will have them,doesn't matter if multiplayer or single player focused

you know why?because if they are not losing money,they have no reason not to.

they will stop only when money is going out eir pocket (see xbone),if it doesn't they will continue,and do it worse next time.

It obviously didn't when Peace Walker did it five fucking years ago. I know you like taking the high ground here, but I didn't exactly hear you complaining about waiting for unlocks then.
Konami must have heard those complaints, since they're selling the solutions at a premium.

Probably because I had and have no interest in Peace Walker, didn't even know they were in that game, and didn't have a PSP to play it on anyway?

Well, peace walker had the same unlock system as MGSV. You just couldn't pay to speed it up because there weren't microtransactions. It sucked then, it sucks now. But as long as it isn't debilitating the single player experience a great amount, it's not as massive a hamper on enjoyment as it likely sounds, especially given that the people that have played the game with no FOBs are progressing.

Majukun

The rope snapped when F2P games got big. The rope snapped years ago.

If you think you'll have a good time with the game, buy it and don't feel bad, because if you're having fun the microtransactions aren't a problem for you.

f2p stays from FREE TO PLAY

putting microtransaction in a free game is acceptable

putting them in a SIXTY BUCKS game is not,it never has and it never will be,put people continuing buying those games because they "can't stay without mgs" will contribute to making this the norm.

i wanted dragon age inquisition,i didn't bought it because it had microtransaction

Hypron

So it's not really 120 hours but more like 120 minutes?

Yeah that sounds in line with Peace Walker and it's perfectly fine. The game is probably designed so that you don't need to wait. You will simply go through the game normally, and then at the end you'll clean up the main OPs and extra OPs going for S-ranks and by the time you're finished you'll have pretty much every update.

There will just be a delay between the time you choose an update and the time you get it, but that's not really an issue because you will still have a constant stream of unlocks (which are likely not required for S-ranking missions anyway).

Axass

Or buy the game, enjoy it and don't take part in microtransactions... the same thing we've been doing since this all started with horse armour (but we called it DLC back then).

That worked well with DLC, see how it completely vanished? Let's keep ignoring the problem.

Microtransactions have been a thing for a while now, and they haven't taken over to any significant degree. Really? We're already at the point when a whole multiplayer mode is almost completely locked behind them, in a $60 game, so early in the generation... and you think we're doing good? Ok...

I want to play the game, I just won't spend money on the bullshit microtransactions. I don't see how that doesn't strike a good balance between not supporting the bullshit but still allowing yourself to experience something that interests you.

But I will say, this is probably my last KONAMI game. I really can't think of anything on the horizon, the pre-release nonsense this company has been a part of is very despicable really. Don't see any reason to continue buying their products after this one.You won't be buying new products from them because there's nothing to buy... that will show them. -_-

DLC still exists and it hasn't "ruined the game industry" and neither will microtransactions.

Yeah, AAA games are definitely not suffering due to them.

-------------------

The "buy the game, not the microtransactions" tactic is working so well BTW.

It obviously didn't when Peace Walker did it five fucking years ago. I know you like taking the high ground here, but I didn't exactly hear you complaining about waiting for unlocks then.

Unless I'm mistaken, you couldn't pay to speed up the process so the game was designed in a way that made sense to Kojima as far as timers are concerned. Which I don't remember the timer being excessive, just monotonous. Though tbh, I didn't really give a shit about the base shit anyways as I was bored by the way it was presented and could not care less.

This is some other level shit. Especially as it seems so compelling in how it relates to the rest of the game.

Unit24

So... you know you can earn MB coins in-game with no real money, right? I know they'll probably make it take a while to earn them to encourage you to use real money, but still.

Furyous

Does the free FOB apply to only one owner of the game? Let's say I purchase the game used. Will I be charged $5 or $10 for buying the game second hand so Konami gets a slice of the pie? It would suck if the FOB option was permanently disabled after use for one console.

ZeroX03

Banned
Unless I'm mistaken, you couldn't pay to speed up the process so the game was designed in a way that made sense to Kojima as far as timers are concerned. Which I don't remember being the timer excessive, just monotonous. Though tbh, I didn't really give a shit about the base shit anyways as I was bored by the way it was presented and could not care less.

This is some other level shit. Especially as it seems so compelling in how it relates to the rest of the game.

The timers in single player seem fine, maybe a little worse than Peace Walker. With the scope of the game (100~ hours) it seems to match the most time consuming upgrades (2~ hours).

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Feel like this was known awhile ago.

Also from the way it is described, it isn't even needed.

Does the free FOB apply to only one owner of the game? Let's say I purchase the game used. Will I be charged $5 or $10 for buying the game second hand so Konami gets a slice of the pie? It would suck if the FOB option was permanently disabled after use for one console.

Shouldn't be. There was no code for it included with the game.

So... you know you can earn MB coins in-game with no real money, right? I know they'll probably make it take a while to earn them to encourage you to use real money, but still.

No, you can't. Confirmed by a Metal Gear community manager and Konami Europe on Twitter.

soultron

Banned
You will probably get the free allotment once per playthrough in such a way that does not stack. It will probably be a part of the FOB tutorial is why I say this.

Hypron

Unless I'm mistaken, you couldn't pay to speed up the process so the game was designed in a way that made sense to Kojima as far as timers are concerned. Which I don't remember being the timer excessive, just monotonous. Though tbh, I didn't really give a shit about the base shit anyways as I was bored by the way it was presented and could not care less.

The timers are actually quite similar to Peace Walker since someone said the times were actually in minutes instead of hours. End-game updates in PW would take ~= 2 hours to unlock and they take the same here in TPP.

Bsigg12

Man, I was really looking forward to this stuff too after playing the single player portion. What a disappointment.

taco543

So there isn't going to be a metal gear pachinko machine because the metal gear solid 5 turns your console into a pachinko machine?

Trey

Hahaha, "hold it against others" because they don't care about an accelerator they don't need to buy. Like you are some kind of authority on what people choose to play and buy with their own money.

That's what I'm saying. I'm not. What entertainment I decide to spend my money on, and for what reason, is no moral arbiter on what you can or should do with yours.

Why would you need more than one?

The more you have, the more teams you can deploy on missions, the more teams you can deploy on missions, the more resources you can gather, the more resources you can gather, the quicker you can buy higher level expansions, tools and weapons.

Here's something for you guys to think about.

The way the numbers for these work, some percentage of players (that I'm sure Konami has an estimate for) will participate in the microtransactions.

In fact, I guarantee that a non-zero percentage of people on GAF will do so.

I'd be willing to bet at least one person who says they won't do it, maybe even in this thread, will in fact end up doing it. The justification will change from, "well I'll just not participate in the microtransactions" to "it's only a couple bucks, who cares."

Furthermore, each sale, beyond supporting Konami directly, also supports EVERY company making the decision to do something like this. Because the bitching means nothing when you're all buying it anyway, and you're all potential participants in the microtransaction scheme. You're saying in the loudest way possible (for those looking at the money) that this is okay.

Plenty of you guys are telling yourselves whatever you need to in order to help you sleep at night and buy this game without feeling bad about it. I understand. But you're also hypocrites, and it's okay to accept that. Everyone is at one time or another. But let's not pretend you're making some sort of stand by "only" buying this game. That's a joke.

Boke1879

Why would you need more than one?

I guess the more you have. The more missions you can send your soldiers out on so they can bring you back more resources.

All in all. It's just a way to speed up development of your Mother Base.

Again. For people who have beaten the game. Were they bothered by this. Did MB seem like a grind? Was the single player experience dampened?

People are buying MGSV for the story, cutscenes etc directed and written by Kojima. Paying for additional FOBs isn't going to change shit for most fans of the series. Believe it or not, most people play through games once and don't aim for 100%&achievemnts etc.
MGO and possible microtransactions aren't really the reason people are pre ordering since MGO doesn't come out till over a month later. Seriously, how many calls for stop pre ordering are you all going to make. Reddit, GAF, Tumblr etc have all attempted this shit and failed... and you're trying to start some shit over the online components of a game series renowned for its single player.
Konami *might* change this if people complain loud enough but criticising people for buying MGSV due to this is foolishness.
EDIT - Sure we shouldn't endorse shirty practices, but it's as simple as playing this game for the single player,sure there's more grind this way, but these models work because the majority spend money on them, look at the f2p mobile app market. Konami have made it clear they're a business first, Game company second over these past few months.
All I'm saying is this shit was predictable, it's now the norm for stuff like this to happen, stop criticising others for supporting mgsv and put that rage towards Konami, who are trying to act like a business and a general developer second.

Revven

What's an FOB for? I'm 5 hours into MGSV and I don't seem to have a need for whatever it is?

An FOB is a separate online base, that you don't need to use if you don't want to but if you do it will increase the amount of resources you get when you send out troops on Outer OPs (or, missions) -- it also allows you to send even more units out the more FOBs you have (for a total of 3 FOBs, I believe?) You start out with one FOB but can only get additional ones if you buy MB Coins, the minimum amount being somewhere around $15-$25 for the cheapest FOB. The FOB is not accessible right now which is probably why you haven't noticed it -- it will be accessible tomorrow. You start out with one for free.

In addition, if you do set up an FOB you can be invaded and the resources you have on your FOB can be stolen.

FOB stands for Forward Operating Base.

biteren

The way the numbers for these work, some percentage of players (that I'm sure Konami has an estimate for) will participate in the microtransactions.

I'd be willing to bet at least one person who says they won't do it, maybe even in this thread, will in fact end up doing it. The justification will change from, "well I'll just not participate in the microtransactions" to "it's only a couple bucks, who cares."

Furthermore, each sale, beyond supporting Konami directly, also supports EVERY company making the decision to do something like this. Because the bitching means nothing when you're all buying it anyway, and you're all potential participants in the microtransaction scheme. You're saying in the loudest way possible (for those looking at the money) that this is okay.

Plenty of you guys are telling yourselves whatever you need to in order to help you sleep at night and buy this game without feeling bad about it. I understand. But you're also hypocrites, and it's okay to accept that. Everyone is at one time or another. But let's not pretend you're making some sort of stand by "only" buying this game. That's a joke.

i just dont wanna give Konami money and figured getting a used copy was the best way to go about it

Majukun

thank you
every copy sold of this game is a "yes" to microtransaction in the future

ZeroX03

Banned

AC Unity has a lot of problems, but microtransactions aren't really one of them. Practically everything you can buy with them is junk or easily provided to you anyway. And the game gives you enough free hacking points to get the collectible maps for 100%.

Of course the game is terrible in many other ways, but spending money doesn't really make the game any easier or better.

Top Bottom