• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F*ck Konami: MGSV FOBs beyond the first must be bought via macrotransactions

watdaeff4

I haven't really followed coverage of this game that much.

Was this "mode" talked about, ("promoted"), a lot leading up to release? Or is this something they unveiled recently?

When I say this next part, it is by no means justifying what Konami did as those prices are ridiculous, but didn't a rumor come out that Kojima got fired for being over budget with this game? If so, I wonder of this is a gaudy attempt at Konami trying to meet goals.

I just started my playthrough, I really hope the SP is not too grindy w/o purchasing this. Will be pissed off.

Sol1dus

if people don't buy the coins Konami will be more likely to lower the costs/give more daily bonuses. But knowing how most of us are, we'll nag about it on this forum and then buy em tomorrow.

labx

Banned
if people don't buy the coins Konami will be more likely to lower the costs/give more daily bonuses. But knowing how most of us are, we'll nag about it on this forum and then buy em tomorrow.

Sadly but true... And the thing is that this is never going to stop. Konami, will always have ways to lure people to buy more "money". People will nag and nag, and in the end, we are not willing to make a difference.

Sol1dus

Sadly but true... And the thing is that this is never going to stop. Konami, will always have ways to lure people to buy more "money". People will nag and nag, and in the end, we are not willing to make a difference.

To be completely honest I'm ok with this...yes it's pretty expensive but it's not like I was counting on having this feature until it was shown the other week. I will enjoy the main game and see this as a nice addition that I can invest into if it seems like a fruitful experience for the cost in a couple of months.

We should overcome the futility by joining together to make a difference. We need to set up some kind of wall that publishers need to overcome if they wish to taste our dollars. Actually a wall is a little too aggressive. Lets make it more of a gate that publishers can pass through only if their game is free of these violent pricing practices. So that we, the gamers, call the shots and have the power. We can call it the gamer gate.

I think the reason for the state of things and the lack of will to change the state of things is that no matter what happens and which crappy new systems are put in place to get more money from players is that by the end of the day it is just video games.

It's shady as fuck. But it's just video games.

huh? i read some of the first page but i still don't understand what FOBs are.. can i at least beat the story without issues if im not buying them..? i'll never buy anything in-game with actual money so.. i need to know i'll be fine.

huh? i read some of the first page but i still don't understand what FOBs are.. can i at least beat the story without issues if im not buying them..? i'll never buy anything in-game with actual money so.. i need to know i'll be fine.

They're PvP enabled expansions to your Mother Base. I'm fairly certain they aren't required, they just speed up the development time for research.

Edit: these "expansions" allow you to gather more resources, speed up research times but they're open to being invaded by another player.

ZeroX03

Banned

Yes you can beat the game and do everything in single player without touching FOBs, they just give you more resources and manpower. You might as well get the free one because it's beneficial.

Z3M0G

If I put my game into rest mode mid mission, and return to play a single mission over several days in short sessions each day, will I still get my login bonus every day?

That's most likely how I'll be progressing through this game...

ClearData

Jim Sterling really made me worry about this stuff in his latest podcast. I'm paraphrasing, but he said that even when people don't like micro transactions if they tolerate them the publishers already have the hooks in. It's the passivity that eventually leads to more implementation.

Personally, I won't spend a dime on this mode. I don't want to encourage this in the future and I don't appreciate Konami actively obscured the existence of this system from the press. They didn't want anything dampening pre-release hype. I wouldn't have missed Kojima's last Metal Gear, but I'll keep an eye out for this in the future.

Yes you can beat the game and do everything in single player without touching FOBs, they just give you more resources and manpower. You might as well get the free one because it's beneficial.

hmmh ok. doesn't sound too bad, i guess.. though if the game feels significantly harder than previous Metal Gear games and i start to get that feeling that it's designed that way to try and push me to give them more money then.. i dunno, i'll eject the disc and never put it in again.

They're PvP enabled expansions to your Mother Base. I'm fairly certain they aren't required, they just speed up the development time for research.

Edit: these "expansions" allow you to gather more resources, speed up research times but they're open to being invaded by another player.

speed up development time for research? meaning you have to pay money to get items and stuff faster..? gross game design if true.

what's PvP like without paying anything extra then? is there any point to it, do i just basically lose all the time if i don't pay up? a really depressing thought...

Z3M0G

Oh, another question...

Your FOB's can be attacked by other players... so can other players do enough damage to your FOB that you'd need to spend more real money to repair the damages?? (Taking out camera's, weapon placements, etc)

Brannon

What they'll do is the current flow of MB coins, then a small surge to get you JUST within range of the cheapest FOB, then trickle it so that you won't feel as bad about buying a small bunch of coins. Sure they'll get the flaming whales that buy the giant pack, but they're betting big on the small impulse just-do-it-now! small purchases to push that MB total over the edge.

We shall see in a few weeks.

Grewitch

I know this is a case of take it or leave it, but for me it leaves a bad taste, that they would tarnish the game like this.

I'm playing Ground Zeroes and waiting for my copy to arrive, but it's just disheartening to know this garbage is there.

I can't believe people think that it's fine because we can just ignore the FOB stuff. Should we not be able to enjoy that feature in full without such nonsense, beings we paid $60 for the game?

I would love to build these huge bases and mess with the invasions, but I am not going to grind for months in order to get another base and I sure as hell am not going to buy the coin packs in order to build. This is just abhorrent and walls off a part of the game that we paid for... period.

Being ok with it and enjoying the game while not being ok with it are two entirely different things. Normal rational people can still love MGSV and simply be upset at the cheap tactic Konami pulled her on this mode. Don't pay for the MB, simple as that.

Bedlam

Jim Sterling really made me worry about this stuff in his latest podcast. I'm paraphrasing, but he said that even when people don't like micro transactions if they tolerate them the publishers already have the hooks in. It's the passivity that eventually leads to more implementation.
Exactly what I've been saying a couple of times in this thread: when the 99.9% are okay with the alterations to the game that incentivise microtransactions and still buy the base game, then the publisher has won. They were merely targetting the whales (00.1% in my example) anyway with that stuff and hope that their usual customer base still buys the game. Publishers will push this as far as then can; until people are not okay with this anymore and sales of the base game take a noticable hit. It's beyond me how some people can't wrap their head around this.

And that's the case with this game again. With this hobby, people usually don't give a shit about the consequences of their actions. They are incredibly short-sighted and only care about their gaming experience of the next couple of days and then wonder when things get worse over the years. Whether that is due to the average gamer still being relatively young and overly susceptible to hype or something, I do not know. But that's how it usually goes it seems.

Well, I stood in front of the game today in a games shop but I decided against buying it. Bought new strings for the guitar instead. Disgusting monetizing schemes, which increasingly corrupt the gaming segment I once loved, are really pushing me away from this hobby.

BibiMaghoo

The prices are pretty disgusting. Paying more than the game for some coins which amount to pretty basic DLC is bullshit of the highest order.

Oh, another question...

Your FOB's can be attacked by other players... so can other players do enough damage to your FOB that you'd need to spend more real money to repair the damages?? (Taking out camera's, weapon placements, etc)

The real money is just to secure the additional ocean space. The stuff you actually put in that space is all bought using the in-game currency / resources.

LAA

Just got up to getting FOBs now.
More annoying than I thought. I thought it was just so you can send more troops on missions, more defense etc., but it does actually increase the staff you can have, Mother Base included, which is very good actually as I'm trying to get to Level 50 for all of them, and I really have been extracting as many "Good" soldiers as possible, all A, A+, A++ and I'm at 42 for R&D so far. I think it will be a huge grind to find good soldiers to level up your base, but we'll see. Havent seen any S, S+, S++ soldiers yet, other than Kojima who was an S for Intel.

EDIT: From looking into it more, seems you can actually upgrade platforms on the FOB too, so you can add more staff numbers that way. Hopefully then you don't "require" FOBs to get to 50 then, I would think I could get to 50 on everything just from upgrading the platforms on the FOB and fulton-ing soliders how I have been and not only looking for S,S+,S++ soliders, similar to how it was on PW if I recall.

I can't even see these atrocious prices because the servers are still all fucked up. On Xbox One and I still haven't even been able to upload my Mother Base staff from Ground Zeroes.

Nephtes

I can't even see these atrocious prices because the servers are still all fucked up. On Xbox One and I still haven't even been able to upload my Mother Base staff from Ground Zeroes.

Exactly!

I WISH I could complain about FOB prices, but I've never been able connect to the servers, EVER. Can't upload my GZ save for my bonuses, and I'm almost done the damn campaign.

The lack of information from Konami about the downed servers for Xbox is beyond infuriating as they tweet and retweet tons of fluff stories about how great MGSV is...

I wish the gaming media had the same outrage they had when Arkham Knight and Diablo III were less than complete at launch.

Phionoxx

If you play the whole game in offline mode, as you progress through the story do you still unlock the first FOB? Or do you need to be connected to the servers at some point for the FOB unlock to trigger?

If you play the whole game in offline mode, as you progress through the story do you still unlock the first FOB? Or do you need to be connected to the servers at some point for the FOB unlock to trigger?

You unlock the ability to build an FOB through story progression even if you're in offline mode, but to actually set it up you need to connect to online.

Walpurgis

Banned
Just got up to getting FOBs now.
More annoying than I thought. I thought it was just so you can send more troops on missions, more defense etc., but it does actually increase the staff you can have, Mother Base included, which is very good actually as I'm trying to get to Level 50 for all of them, and I really have been extracting as many "Good" soldiers as possible, all A, A+, A++ and I'm at 42 for R&D so far. I think it will be a huge grind to find good soldiers to level up your base, but we'll see. Havent seen any S, S+, S++ soldiers yet, other than Kojima who was an S for Intel.

EDIT: From looking into it more, seems you can actually upgrade platforms on the FOB too, so you can add more staff numbers that way. Hopefully then you don't "require" FOBs to get to 50 then, I would think I could get to 50 on everything just from upgrading the platforms on the FOB and fulton-ing soliders how I have been and not only looking for S,S+,S++ soliders, similar to how it was on PW if I recall.
I haven't started playing yet but I believe you can steal staff members and equipment from other FOBs. Who knows, you might hit the jack pot and invade someone who has 30 FOBs and 30,000 S++ personnel.

Konami's server checker is saying that only the steam and PS4 servers are down. I think we can start complaining about FOB's very soon...haha

Now if only the idroid app would work on my phone...

edit: And now the steam server is up as of 10:30EST

Top Bottom