• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F*ck Konami: MGSV FOBs beyond the first must be bought via macrotransactions

ironcreed

Banned
GTFO. I can't trust a 10/10 from journalists coming from a paid review event?

Dat boot camp, baby.

10895443_1527592087524612_1108033554_a.jpg

SirNinja

I dunno. The "quality" of a game should take into account the entire package that's being sold, not picking and choosing certain elements. Just strange (well not so strange really given how beloved the franchise is) that this game gets a pass for this stuff from so many.

Not strange at all, and it isn't picking and choosing. A review of any game should be a review of the developer's work, not the publisher's attempts to sabotage or dilute it. As an example, the microtransactions in Assassin's Creed Unity PC didn't affect my enjoyment of the game. (The bugs and poor optimization, however, did, and that's what should count against a game in its reviews.) The bullshit microtransactions were obviously something Ubisoft tried to shoehorn in, but as long as it doesn't affect the game itself, it's not a problem. I can just ignore them and shake my head at Ubisoft for putting them there in the first place.

ApharmdX

Banned
This stuff is obviously awful, but seriously just ignore it and play the game and move on.

Boycotting this game is literally valueless. Konami isn't going to take away any message from any of it whether zero people buy these coins or everybody does. They don't give a shit and they're highly unlikely to make any more significant video game releases for a long time if ever. They're just seeing how much money they can extract on their way out.

No, no it's not valueless. That's money that Konami doesn't get. Whether a message gets taken or not. I'd rather not reward Konami for shitty behavior, hence I'm not buying this game, and I'd encourage others to do likewise.

A review of any game should be a review of the developer's work, not the publisher's attempts to sabotage or dilute it.

I guess we have different perspectives on this. I think you're looking at the word "quality" more in terms of evaluating a work of art, while I'm looking at it more as an evaluation of a product put up for sale?

lionpants

If I have Ground Zeroes for XB1 registered on Konami Core and I register the Phantom Pain PS4 version, do I still get the bonus? Or do they have to be from the same system.

No, no it's not valueless. That's money that Konami doesn't get. Whether a message gets taken or not. I'd rather not reward Konami for shitty behavior, hence I'm not buying this game, and I'd encourage others to do likewise.

Game still has a lot of value minus the transactions. Hasn't affected my play at all and I'm still having a blast. One of the best games I've played. I know that may sound a bit hyperbolic, but I've always wanted a good stealth game that doesn't force you to play that way should you mess up. Being metal gear and open world is just icing on the cake. I'm gonna show konami I don't want microtransactions by simply not buying them.

The sad part about all of this is that it probably won't even matter. Someone, somewhere are purchasing microtransactions and showing companies that it's viable.

noshten

Not strange at all, and it isn't picking and choosing. A review of any game should be a review of the developer's work, not the publisher's attempts to sabotage or dilute it. As an example, the microtransactions in Assassin's Creed Unity PC didn't affect my enjoyment of the game. (The bugs and poor optimization, however, did, and that's what should count against a game in its reviews.) The bullshit microtransactions were obviously something Ubisoft tried to shoehorn in, but as long as it doesn't affect the game itself, it's not a problem. I can just ignore them and shake my head at Ubisoft for putting them there in the first place.

To me the problem with omitting this system from reviews - potential customers aren't fully informed about everything the game has to offer. Personally when I read a review I'd like it to overview all the features of a game - if it's missing components of the game in question because that's what the reviewer was given by the studio/publisher/review event than I will take those reviews with a grain of salt. Such practices can certainly effect my enjoyment of a game - that's not a given but I would not purchase a game based on early reviews. Going to have to wait and see what the reaction is in a week when more trusted review sources have chimed in. This type of tacked on systems are things I don't tolerate especially when the company goes out of its way to misinform customers before the release. Perhaps I might have been a bit more tolerant if they came out and said straight up we want to hunt for whales but they didn't and that's deplorable

I think game development is way out of control and that video games are getting too complex, so i am buying copies to reward konami's smart business decision of keeping that hack Kojima in check.

From a player's perspective, this is absolute bullshit.

From a business perspective, it's probably smart for them to bleed dry the last cash cow they'll ever have.

Sesha

So glad I don't buy games day 1 or even month 1. And even in the ultra-rare occasion that I do, I know beforehand that it doesn't feature this nonsense or other scummy aspects.

WTmGkGe.png

This tweet cracks me up. That PR speak.

It comes with a free "experience".

To me the problem with omitting this system from reviews - potential customers aren't fully informed about everything the game has to offer. Personally when I read a review I'd like it to overview all the features of a game - if it's missing components of the game in question because that's what the reviewer was given by the studio/publisher/review event than I will take those reviews with a grain of salt. Such practices can certainly effect my enjoyment of a game - that's not a given but I would not purchase a game based on early reviews. Going to have to wait and see what the reaction is in a week when more trusted review sources have chimed in. This type of tacked on systems are things I don't tolerate especially when the company goes out of its way to misinform customers before the release. Perhaps I might have been a bit more tolerant if they came out and said straight up we want to hunt for whales but they didn't and that's deplorable

That my disconnect with people wanting to excuse the omission of the FOB/MB Coin bits from a final and total published review. I don't think this really is a matter of debate but reviews (in a published context) is the entire package of said game and not only specific or general elements. I mean if other games had their less than stellar features (no matter how impactful it is) ignored in favor of their strengths, that would change the review number or final recommendation - wouldn't it? We may have more perfect scores.

"So 7/8th of this game is amazing and the remaining 1/8th you may not see and we weren't privy to when we played it - no clue how that is. But yeah, 7/8th, amazing!"

Edit: Btw, published reviews and scores are only as meaningful as you feel they are. 10/10 could be crap to you personally and a 6/10 may be your GOTY. But, a review should be based on the entire game and experience at launch that the customer will play.

SirNinja

I guess we have different perspectives on this. I think you're looking at the word "quality" more in terms of evaluating a work of art, while I'm looking at it more as an evaluation of a product put up for sale?

I'm actually somewhere between those two perspectives. While I dislike that there are microtransactions in the game, I believe that it should dock points from Konami's reputation, rather than the game's review score. Give credit, and criticism, where it's due. Scoring down TPP for the microtransactions is a lose-lose scenario that misses the root of the problem; it just ends up making Kojima look bad, and it gives Konami all the more vindication for making whatever horrible MGS game they end up excreting after this one.

I'm actually somewhere between those two perspectives. While I dislike that there are microtransactions in the game, I believe that it should dock points from Konami's reputation, rather than the game's review score. Give credit, and criticism, where it's due. Scoring down TPP for the microtransactions is a lose-lose scenario that misses the root of the problem; it just ends up making Kojima look bad, and it gives Konami all the more vindication for making whatever horrible MGS game they end up excreting after this one.

If you put it like that, at least Kojima's name isn't on the box anymore...

spekkeh

Banned

Games are always a compromise. Maybe it was Kojima's vision to have unicorns prancing around in the player's living room shooting rainbows out of their arse, but Konami said can't do it too expensive, those cunts. If ifs and buts were candies and nuts we'd all have a merry Christmas. You need to review the end product, which is a mix of designer wishes, programmer constraints and publisher patience. And who knows how much was Kojima's idea. For all we know he did want all the timer based development layers.

This is true of any game mechanic or part of a game you pay for. I don't see why you would point this part out at all.
Because microtransactions are between you and that part of the game. You can have one fob for free, then it's 20 bucks a piece thank you very much.

In fact it's NOT like "any part of a game you pay for". You usually have the whole thing paying the initial price of admission, or at least that's how it was some time ago. Here you must pay to have another bite.

Spux666

Banned
I hope you all know this is false right? Yes micro transactions exist. But you can earn Mother Base coins through daily challenges and crap. You don't need to pay for anything, it will just take a while.

Ghazi

I hope you all know this is false right? Yes micro transactions exist. But you can earn Mother Base coins through daily challenges and crap. You don't need to pay for anything, it will just take a while.
GAF overreact about something? No way!

spekkeh

Banned

Oh goody I love arbitrarily grinding to get something that the game is designed to have you get immediately if you fork over cash. That's fun.

A while = several months to a year of jumping through f2p hoops and a login grind. Doesn't feel very optional when its very existence is designed to test your patience and willpower in a full price AAA video game.

autoduelist

Oh goody I love arbitrarily grinding to get something that the game is designed to have you get immediately if you fork over cash. That's fun.

To be fair, though, lots of games have 'unlocks' you can buy (weapon unlocks, car unlocks, etc) for those who don't want to 'grind' them out via playing the game.

I hate microtransactions, so I'm not fond of these, but for all we know the game is balanced to only have 1 of these bases and the excess bases actually hurt the game... until enough people have played we have no real idea how 'bad' this situation is. If the lack of buying one creates significant grind gates like some IOS IAP game, then yeah, that's a problem... but if having extras bases actually makes the game too easy... then only giving one out for free isn't the worst thing in the world.

That is, it's all about how they balanced the game... and we don't have that answer yet from what I can tell.

JackelZXA

Pretty great, as is the OT apparently! Thanks for asking.

Yeah the game's still GOOD. I haven't heard any counts of this effecting singleplayer story progression so I'm fine. Grinding goofy side ops stuff for side content doesn't bug me. (Does the extra bases just allow you to research multiple base upgrades at once? That seems useless)

Karamsoul

If this is true, then this point needs to be more visible to everyone. I think currently everyone is in a hubbub because they think that they're locked out of being able to acquire additional FOBs - that it will require actual money to do so.

If the case is that those additional FOBS are acquirable through standard gameplay (by earning MB coins in game without paying for them), then all people are complaining about it the length of time it will take to eventually be able to purchase the additional FOBs through the MB points you gather in-game.Then it's the same thing as EA with the Battlefield "unlock" packs - that's a much more acceptable scenario than the one being pitch-forked right now.

With the FOB pricing model now revealed hours before the game's official launch, we have all the information we need to say "fuck Konami."

Yeah, shame Konami won't respond to me on Twitter. Cuz seriously, #FuckKonami."

I kind of wonder though if this was forced onto Kojima and co or if this was always in the plans.

If this is true, then this point needs to be more visible to everyone. I think currently everyone is in a hubbub because they think that they're locked out of being able to acquire additional FOBs - that it will require actual money to do so.

If the case is that those additional FOBS are acquirable through standard gameplay (by earning MB coins in game without paying for them), then all people are complaining about it the length of time it will take to eventually be able to purchase the additional FOBs through the MB points you gather in-game.Then it's the same thing as EA with the Battlefield "unlock" packs - that's a much more acceptable scenario than the one being pitch-forked right now.

I know absolutely nothing about Battlefield packs. Does it also take someone 19-22 days of daily grinding to get one?

Karamsoul

I know absolutely nothing about Battlefield packs. Does it also take someone 19-22 days of daily grinding to get one?

No, they're weapon/vehicle/loadout unlock packs which you can buy to unlock everything at once, instead of just playing through the game to unlock them individually through MP progression. They're purchasable shortcuts to unlocking everything, if you feel that you don't want to wait. I think the same applies to MB points in MGSV.

Spux666

Banned
Yay daily bonuses guys! it's just like my favourite f2p mobile games.

Yes but also...

"These coins can also be earned through gameplay. Information supplied by Konami in-game states that "you will start receiving rewards after proceeding to a certain point in the game.""

Yes but also...

"These coins can also be earned through gameplay. Information supplied by Konami in-game states that "you will start receiving rewards after proceeding to a certain point in the game.""

I'm reading Konami's statement to mean 'you can't earn daily rewards until you're past Episode XX.' Not sure where Gamespot is getting that you can earn MB coins by simply playing through the game.

Yes but also...

LoL, bet you there will be a new thread about this when I wake up tomorrow. Still, that does sound a little promising at least.

Top Bottom