• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT| When is Crunchyroll coming to GTA Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vecks

Infinite Stratos - 4
25 minutes of the most boring action I've ever witnessed. On the plus side there was minimal Houki which is always a plus. China's pretty boring.

Charl next episode.

Not really that relevant, but ever since I started watching Gundam Build Fighters, whenever I read China it sounds like Chi-na in my head.

Jintor

The Melancholy of Haruhi-chan Suzumiya Episode 6

lpJykj4.gif

I've fallen out of love with the Haruhi franchise generally speaking, but I don't think I could ever hate:

a) Sugita
b) Haruhi-chan

Vecks

Hunter x Hunter 103

Another one of my favorite parts of the arc. One thing I've never understood: the boogers. They're so distracting. I can't stop staring. Does she have a cold or something? Why won't she just wipe her nose on her sleeve? Even if you're blind and don't care about your appearance, isn't still really annoying to have two giant dangling strings of goo on your upper lip?

Dresden

Hyouka 06

Also, I don't get what was wrong with the mystery of this episode? Sure it was insignificant but it's meant to be? I don't understand what people were expecting out of this show to be really honest. For one the show would plain not work if they weren't tackling normally mundane issues. That's actually a huge part of how the character dynamics in the show work. The clash between Oreki's 'energy preservation' and Chitanda's curiosity would just not work if they were not tackling 'boring' mysteries.
Putting that rant aside, I see this is also the episode were the 'Kinininirimasu' gifs came from. Didn't expect to see it so soon.
Anyway sufficed to say that I'm really enjoying this show so far.

The problem isn't about the subject matter being mundane, but rather, that some mundane things are boring and some are not. The show succeeds when it gives meaning to normalcy, and the worst parts of the show - the cigarette episode, for one - lacks that.

CorvoSol

The Hosodapocalypse will not be televised.

Nor will it, apparently, win any awards.

Blood-C 4

Regular Saya is a dope. Gray eyed fighting Saya sucks at her job so much she could basically be a character on Attack on Titan or AGEtory Gundam. Red Eyed Saya is dope and slices through demons like you would not BELIEVE. Red Eyed Saya is where it is AT.

Also how do none of her friends notice her jumping up a tree? Like a ninja? And is it just me, or is Polar Bear coming on too strong by ALWAYS giving this girl kiss treats? Or is it just that that symbol is particularly unsubtle?

Also:

lRM7h9p.jpg

6mGIj6V.jpg

EKwqNg1.gif

#BAROMETERS #BAROMETERS #BAROMETERS

cajunator

Banned
Aww.

Are these good sales numbers?

Still don't really understand what's the cutoff between good and bad.

Sold.

Theres something called the Manabi line. It hovers around 2,700 copies or so to break even. Production costs are way too variable to indicate success or failure but its a estimation point. The show Henneko sold below the line so its probably a fair bet to say it didnt make money.

I've been watching a lot of good stuff lately with a friend for no particular reason!

Angel's Egg
I liked it. It's pretty easy to see how this film get's it's sort of... 'notoriety'? It's almost entirely allegorical, which can be a bit grating after awhile, but it has enough going on visually to hold you through the 71 minute run time. I especially loved the prominently featured Amano art; from the character design to the beautiful architecture. The film was unique, if nothing else.

The Castle of Cagliostro
It's kind of miraculous that I hadn't seen this up until now given the lavish praise I always hear. I haven't seen a whole lot of Lupin, but It's always great to watch. That coupled with it being a Miyazaki film makes this a pretty easy recommendation. It almost (almost) seemed a bit slower than other Lupin films I've seen, in that there was more breathing room between bits of intrigue and action. Not a bad thing to be sure. All-in-all it felt competently produced with an admittedly expected visual charisma and a solid direction. It made me a bit more excited for Lupin III vs. Detective Conan The Movie coming the beginning of next month.

I think next week we'll probably end up watching Vampire Hunter D and maybe Millennium Actress and Perfect Blue.

These are truly great movies, but Millennium Actress is a masterpiece and I cant wait for you to watch it.

Unbreakable Machine-Doll 5

Really liking Frey. Don't even need to mention her ample bust(+1) to say that she's just as cute as the rest of the girls in the show. Still one of the most incompetent assassins I've seen in awhile. Her doll Rabi looks awesome, but that just might be my love for dogs showing off.

Loki seems like quite the asshole. But I can't help but think that him and Raishin are going to be the bestest of friends. Little sister Komurasaki seems like she'll be a fun addition as well.

Charl going Tsundere so hard after that conversation with Raishin was fun and so was jealous Yaya. Sigmund is such a bro, his talk with Yaya was very sweet.

Something about their telephone eyes are just so adorable.

Blazblue Alter Memory 5

*Cries self into a corner.

Goddamn, they even have Trinity appearing before Bang!

That is BS.

Atleast, it was her and Sena doing most of the talking.

Oh, and this whole hot spring scene.

Was just one big "WTF" moment to me.

wait, so Platinum is in it?!
K. now I have to watch it.

Saikano 6

Shuuji you're fucking awful. Piece of shit. At least you kinda know you are.

Up and down this show.

This show will make you love Chise and totally hate Shuuji. However given the extreme circumstances Im not sure that he is entirely to blame for his stupidity. This show thrives on torturing its characters.

Infinite Stratos - 4
25 minutes of the most boring action I've ever witnessed. On the plus side there was minimal Houki which is always a plus. China's pretty boring.

Charl next episode.

Charles is all you need.

• Miss Monochrome 01-06
i0UTdo9.png

Heheh I love these short 4-5 minute shows, they're always great for that quick laugh. I want a Roomba as a pet now.

k9PcyVu.png

Is this guy wearing an Ash Ketchum hat?

Cwarrior

Just heard: http://variety.com/2013/film/awards/oscars-19-films-submit-for-feature-animation-oscar-1200798376/

Wolf Children is not even being submitted for nomination. It's over. Wrap it up. Anime is dead. RIP.

Lol I laugh at you furries, any ways how did modoku get on there? isn't that just some I recut tv anime footage made into a movie?

6 movies on hacksoda still can get any recognitions in the rest of the world, face it his never going to gain any recognition world wide like the studio ghibli guys or satoshi kon.

I've been thinking to check out letter to momo for quite some time after you are umosu.

wonzo

Banned
Lol I laugh at you furries, any ways how did modoku get on there isn't that just some I recut tv anime footage made into a movie?

6 movies on hacksoda still can get any recognitions in the rest of the world, face it his never going to gain any recognition world wide like the studio ghibli guys or satoshi kon.

I've been thinking to check out letter to momo for quite some time after you are umosu.
in english pls

cnet128

Banned
Hyouka 06

Who the hell said this episode was boring I want to punch them in the face.
But yeah actually this was one of the most entertaining episodes yet. The first half had me legit burst into laughters and the conversations and banter were beautifully executed. Not to mention giving some nice insight into the way Chitanda thinks which they hadn't done so far. Also lol at Oreki getting baited.
Also, I don't get what was wrong with the mystery of this episode? Sure it was insignificant but it's meant to be? I don't understand what people were expecting out of this show to be really honest. For one the show would plain not work if they weren't tackling normally mundane issues. That's actually a huge part of how the character dynamics in the show work. The clash between Oreki's 'energy preservation' and Chitanda's curiosity would just not work if they were not tackling 'boring' mysteries.
Putting that rant aside, I see this is also the episode were the 'Kinininirimasu' gifs came from. Didn't expect to see it so soon.
Anyway sufficed to say that I'm really enjoying this show so far.

People approving of Hyouka 6? I ENDORSE THIS HEAVILY.

I will never be able to understand how anyone can think badly of the episode that gave us this.

cajunator

Banned
The Melancholy of Haruhi-chan Suzumiya Episode 6

lpJykj4.gif

Proof positive that this show is unforgettable.

Cosign, although I quibble with the word "boring" being used there. Like I said in my own posts, the mysteries are mundane, but not boring.

Ill accept mundane. Still isnt interesting.

Nor will it, apparently, win any awards.

Blood-C 4

Regular Saya is a dope. Gray eyed fighting Saya sucks at her job so much she could basically be a character on Attack on Titan or AGEtory Gundam. Red Eyed Saya is dope and slices through demons like you would not BELIEVE. Red Eyed Saya is where it is AT.

Also how do none of her friends notice her jumping up a tree? Like a ninja? And is it just me, or is Polar Bear coming on too strong by ALWAYS giving this girl kiss treats? Or is it just that that symbol is particularly unsubtle?

Also:

lRM7h9p.jpg

6mGIj6V.jpg

EKwqNg1.gif

#BAROMETERS #BAROMETERS #BAROMETERS

Just wait Corvy kun. This show has only just begun to mess with you.

• Miss Monochrome 01-06
i0UTdo9.png

Heheh I love these short 4-5 minute shows, they're always great for that quick laugh. I want a Roomba as a pet now.

k9PcyVu.png

Is this guy wearing an Ash Ketchum hat?

This reminds me of Interstella 5555 for some reason.

Lol I laugh at you furries, any ways how did modoku get on there? isn't that just some I recut tv anime footage made into a movie?

Sometimes I really wonder if you are Hiroshi Yamauchi come back from the dead to fuck with people.

CorvoSol

I thought you were banned? Welcome back?

Mature

Well someone is living a charmed life!
Hah, why? Because I've neglected watching a lot of great films and now I'm watching them in gluttonous succession?

These are truly great movies, but Millennium Actress is a masterpiece and I cant wait for you to watch it.
You know, I've seen Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika, Magnetic Rose, and even all of Paranoia Agent, but I've never managed to run into Millennium Actress or Perfect Blue. Maybe I've subconsciously been holding out on them since I know I wont have any more after I've watched them.

cajunator

Banned
Hah, why? Because I've neglected watching a lot of great films and now I'm watching them in gluttonous succession?

You know, I've seen Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika, Magnetic Rose, and even all of Paranoia Agent, but I've never managed to run into Millennium Actress or Perfect Blue. Maybe I've subconsciously been holding out on them since I know I wont have any more after I've watched them.

Millennium Actress is my favorite anime movie. It best made use of Kon's fantasy/reality mixing ideas and told a compelling love story. The music in it is occasionally electronica to set the pace but also some very beautiful pieces as well, and the old-school appearance of it is very charming. Lots of it is homage to early classic Japanese cinema and theres so much little detail everywhere. Even Chiyoko is cute as a girl. Good god I love that movie so much. I will never stop praising it.

The only Satoshi Kon thing I've seen is Tokyo Godfathers. I should really get on that.

Not even Paranoia Agent?

Speaking of which, I really wish Funimation would get the rights to that. I don't think it's been released on Blu-ray (and if it was, it'd probably look like shit due to upscaling), so just a DVD rerelease would be cool.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Buta

ugd7ASM.jpg

This was rather cute. Nothing amazing, but certainly a pleasant watch. Though I must ask, what happened to her tail?

Evangelion Movie 3

Wut? Okay. Whatever.

It seems like everything would have been fine if someone had been all
"Hey, Shinji, seriously, your Dad's a dick and you'll destroy humanity if you get in an EVA again" instead of all "FUCK YOU SHINJI". Then again, just killing him would have achieved the same thing, I guess.

As always with Evangelion, they toss words around like they mean something to the audience when the audience has absolutely no idea what they're talking about.
Lilin?
Great. Off to wikipedia I go and...okay it means
human.
Cool. Say that next time.
Adam?
Okay, I've read a bible, I get it. Staahhhpppp. Had to wikipedia again to figure out what that was in the context of the show. If your movie uses vague misappropriated symbolism to conceal otherwise simple ideas to the extent that no one watching knows what you're talking about, then you need to rethink your usage of symbolism.

At least it looked cool I guess, and the story seems to be going to a more interesting place than I thought the original did.

Apparently Asuka
is half angel half human thats why she calls humans Lillin. Her eye is supposed to have fused with an angel or some shit like that.

Every time a new Rebuild film comes out I have to rewatch the previous ones again to get myself updated with the story and subtle references. Also EVA takes it to the next level. Some of the references feel shoe horned in just to be deep and shit. Similar to Ergo Proxy.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Infinite Stratos - 4

Charl next episode.

Bring on the Charl, the only hope for IS
even though IS has no hope.

• Valvrave S2 - 13
Picking up where we left off 5 months/5 minutes ago, Cain is in the process of turning into an Anti-Spiral

Saki becomes even more popular, Haruto takes credit for bullcrap and Shoko gets dismissed by everyone.

Rukino is even in the product placement.

You know, this show really isn't my thing. What is this? Is it a loose parody of mecha anime? A loose parody of high school anime? Playing it straight? The worst harem ever?

I can't tell.

dropped

Dropping valvrave? tsk.

This show will make you love Chise and totally hate Shuuji. However given the extreme circumstances Im not sure that he is entirely to blame for his stupidity. This show thrives on torturing its characters.

I'm kinda torn, tbh. Part of me thinks its at least partially Shuuji's fault in that
he doesn't get away from the pedophile teacher
but then I feel like that's victim blaming. Shitty situation all around.

Magical Girl Pretty Sammy 7

8RrUtYZ.jpg
gjJ9WAU.jpg

I would watch this

Washu joins! By destroying a 60 billion dollar satellite! And there was even more english than before!!!

Too bad Misa is getting tired of this shit, seeing the same kill move over and over, maybe she'll get a new trick up her sleeve???

Also, I think Washu "knows" who Sammy is, but is obviously being presented as "I don't really know who". But hey, she's a genius!

Mature

Not even Paranoia Agent?

Speaking of which, I really wish Funimation would get the rights to that. I don't think it's been released on Blu-ray (and if it was, it'd probably look like shit due to upscaling), so just a DVD rerelease would be cool.
It still roams in the land of the illustrious and expensive Geneon. That'd be a great license rescue.

cajunator

Banned
Or you Cosplaying santa.

Ok you gotta point there.

Not even Paranoia Agent?

Im prety sure you can still find official copies on Ebay or Amazon for not a whole lot of money.

Bring on the Charl, the only hope for IS
even though IS has no hope.

Dropping valvrave? tsk.

I'm kinda torn, tbh. Part of me thinks its at least partially Shuuji's fault in that
he doesn't get away from the pedophile teacher
but then I feel like that's victim blaming. Shitty situation all around.

Saikano puts characters in REALLY fucked up situations they really cannot escape from. It will make you feel like everything is just futile.

Finished Zetsubou Sensei. The comedy was superb, the characters were absolutely fantastic, the voice acting was some of the best I've seen, and the art is brilliant. Over-all a very good show, though season 2 could have been a bit less abstract for my taste.

Went ahead and read the ending of the manga and MY MIND. IT'S FUCKED. Such a dark yet beautiful ending.

cnet128

Banned
Hunter x Hunter 103

I'm pretty sure this show shouldn't be allowed to be this good. Isn't there some kind of law against it?

I could honestly just sit watching the King play Gungi with Komugi for hours.

CorvoSol

Dual!! Parallel Trouble Adventures 8

Hahaha, the harem grows, and how! This episode introduces us to Notsuka II, in a hilarious twist of fate. It also establishes that the real villain is not Doctor Rara, who as it happens is a pretty nice guy, but really is
his wife who is also the wife of Doctor Sanada in the other world. If that hurts your brain, both Rara and Sanada have daughters by this woman who are named Mitsuki and are exactly the same age. Chrono Cross right there, folks.

But here's what matters most: This episode basically flips a massive middle finger at what I had once considered the only redeeming feature of Gundam AGE's 3rd arc.

I'm going to spoil Gundam AGE's 3rd arc. If you have seen it, you have my condolences. If you haven't and you want to, don't. You're a damn fool for entertaining the idea.

Anyway, the idea is in Arc 3, Adolf Hitler's grandson goes to the giant Space Auschwitz that the Martian Jews have been living and finds out that hey, these Jew guys aren't so bad, their lives are miserable, their leaders are desperate, and there're nice people living among 'em. Hell, the Martian Jews' leader takes the kid in as his own. It's a humanizing moment which takes the previously annoying, one-note space villains and makes them into people, which casts the so-called hero's actions in an entirely different light. Until of course Hino loses his balls, realizes that suddenly Adolf Hitler looks like a bad guy, and that his pedophilia/Nazi propaganda is coming across wrong, and retcons all the "bad guys" into being mustache curling bad guys.

So in this episode we have young Shinji/Tenchi wake up in the enemy stronghold, only to find out that they're normal people who are perfectly nice. Heck, the so-called evil overlord has a cute daughter who doesn't like the war at all and wants to end it and make peace. The bad guys, it so happen, have a reasonable motive for invading Japan and trying to conquer the world. The people left back in heroland are portrayed as sympathetic, struggling to get by without knowing what happened to their friend (as opposed to Hitler, who was throwing a bitch fit for losing a fight), and when Shinji/Tenchi gets invited to dinner with the evil overlord, it turns out that the Big Bad is just a doting father who dresses in a button up and bolo tie and laughs a lot.

We're also introduced to an actual villain so the sympathetic aspects are not discredited with some half assed master plan. It's not as ideal as having the villains continue simply with their good reasons for doing bad things, but it works a HELL of a lot better than the absurd twist in AGE.

Point is, 8 episodes in, I finally get why people like this show. Also AGE is horrible and please never ever watch it. 2nd worst Gundam show ever made.

Go_Ly_Dow

Just heard: http://variety.com/2013/film/awards/oscars-19-films-submit-for-feature-animation-oscar-1200798376/

Wolf Children is not even being submitted for nomination. It's over. Wrap it up. Anime is dead. RIP.

I don't know, but I feel physically ill now and I'm really upset. :(

And meanwhile, Aniplex or Warner Japan or whoever is submitting Madoka Magica The Rebellion Story. Wow.

fuck this bullshit.

i blame the sword art online generation :(

Anybody know why the Viva Namida/Space Dandy theme song was removed from youtube? I thought it was done via official youtube channels (even crunchy roll was linking to it).

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Millennium Actress is my favorite anime movie. It best made use of Kon's fantasy/reality mixing ideas and told a compelling love story. The music in it is occasionally electronica to set the pace but also some very beautiful pieces as well, and the old-school appearance of it is very charming. Lots of it is homage to early classic Japanese cinema and theres so much little detail everywhere. Even Chiyoko is cute as a girl. Good god I love that movie so much. I will never stop praising it.

how can you be even more awesome cajun, I love millennium actress

Magical Girl Pretty Sammy 8

A sudden realization but....

Sasami Kawai = Pretty Sammy.

DUH

And we have a more blatant example where it would've been possible to realize that Misa is Misao, but who cares about questions! Washu is an ally of JUSTICE.

I wonder if what happened here would've worked as well as other Magical Girl animes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom