• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hanamaru Kindergarten 04

cqTvWyX.jpg

MYGHOWA.jpg

J6ujMsA.jpg

Poor Anzu. Tsuchida loves Dragon Quest more than her.

duckroll

I was just looking over the previous threads and saw the term "special" used in the 2010 one. I'll just leave it and let people decide where they think it is best suited. As for the character of the year, it's to give Inferno Cop an easy award. Besides it's optional so if you don't want to vote in the extra categories don't. Besides it's not like I'm doing best hairstlye of the year or best "what you say" reaction face of the year.

Sounds like a slippery slot though! It's just an odd disconnect between what I think is voting for a work based on merits, and having stupid fan-wanky awards which are nonsensical fun. I'm not against the latter itself, but against it being represented together with merit awards since I feel it takes something away from it.

Conan-san

i still have no clue what a 16.6 is.

is that some evangaleon numbering bullshit?

Some side chapter after volume 16? Some OVA after episode 16? etc

16.5 refers to a dumb beta chapter that was basically an awkwardly written sex scene between Asuna and Kirito following that whole todo with the guy who did an awful job of being Asuna's bodyguard and went (or already was, I can't mind off the top of my head) snooker loopy.

One particular statement (which demeans us all when uttered) became something of a meme that basically turns all discussion of SAO into a waste of time.

The chapter has not seen official publication, ever and was, as far as I can tell, only put up on the author's website as a joke.

16.5 refers to a dumb beta chapter that was basically an awkwardly written sex scene between Asuna and Kirito following that whole todo with the guy who did an awful job of being Asuna's bodyguard and went (or already was, I can't mind off the top of my head) snooker loopy.

One particular statement (which demeans us all when uttered) became something of a meme that basically turns all discussion of SAO into a waste of time.

The chapter has not seen official publication, ever and was, as far as I can tell, only put up on the author's website as a joke.

oooh that one.

so what goes on in 16.6? bangs the sister?

Are we seriously going to have stuff like best character and so on. I'll really rather not. It feels really dumb. This isn't MAL. :(

Don't worry, what makes MAL dumb is the people. This place has some degree of immunity to that disease.

Now start thinking who you'll vote for in the stealth Waifu/Husbando categories :p

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
We agreed that films and OVAs should be place in the same category, but what about specials? They're usually just considered part of the show right?
It's probably better not to have a bunch of extra categories that potentially make the outcome of the vote harder to parse. if people want to add stuff on to their votes they're welcome to but it's not worth tallying.

also no gifs please.

Theonik

It's probably better not to have a bunch of extra categories that potentially make the outcome of the vote harder to parse. if people want to add stuff on to their votes they're welcome to but it's not worth tallying.

also no gifs please.
Just for you I'll post all my list names in spinning glitter GIFs.

LayLa

My Conquest Is the Sea of Stars -> Overture to a New War -> Main series

After that you can watch the side stuff. Overture to a New War is a better telling of the first two episodes and My Conquest Is the Sea of Stars is basically the series pilot.

You could really watch Golden Wings whenever, but I wouldn't recommend it.

thanks for this, will give this order a go

DiGiKerot

Code Geass Akito 2
Two key points:

1) The female pilot suits are somewhere between Yamato and Muv-Luv in terms of being ludicrously servicey. In that, boy, they're certainly tight-fitting, but at least they don't look mostly nude.

2) Man, the battle in the back-half of the episode is pretty spectacular. Based Orange and all that.

I dunno, though, I thought the episode was terrific, but it's pretty much more of the same as what we got in the first instalment. I mean, there's a couple of slightly goofy things in there (mostly
"Julius Kingsley"
making his brief appearance, admittedly), but it's very much the same, much drier, largely humourless take on Geass that we got before, and if you didn't like the pacing of the first episode, this isn't likely to win you over.

Quick question: when does the name of the thread officially change/new thread is made? I mean the obvious choice would be once Winter shows start or are about to, but seeing how no Fall shows are currently going on and/or the ones that restart come back around January 9th I'm curious what's the established norm in here.

Quick question: when does the name of the thread officially change/new thread is made? I mean the obvious choice would be once Winter shows start or are about to, but seeing how no Fall shows are currently going on and/or the ones that restart come back around January 9th I'm curious what's the established norm in here.

Its whenever Branduil get off his lazy butt and posts it!

It's whenever a new thread gets made. It doesn't always even make sense, we've had people jump the gun and make a new thread way too early sometimes.

If everyone in the thread put Rozen in even the 7th or 8th place on their list, it would have a fair shot of scratching the top ten. Points add up if enough people vote. See: stuff like From the New World and Humanity Has Declined from last year. No one had them as their AotYs, but enough people at least listed them somewhere that they ultimately racked up more points than even SAO and Chooney Boo Boo.

B, but Humanity Has Declined was my AOTY last year.

That they are equally small groups!
(And weirdly, that I am the only one in both! lol)

KKK was too meta. The shiritori trap card episode skit was funny.
And episode all of Hyouka was good. So put me there togheter with you.

The internet came back! It came baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaackkkkkkkkkk!

Hehe, so someone was with the same problem as me.

Mushishi - END

It was pretty good, Suzu is waifu material, each episode just worried about telling a story and for the most part they were dark or bittersweet.

Touch - END

They cut somethings from the manga ending, but the anime was very good! I think I'm going to watch the movies now and then reread the last volume of the anime and start reading Mix.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 01-07

You know, when everyone was raving about it I just didn't care. It seemed kind of dumb and as a high intellectual who was too busy watching LoGH at the time I just couldn't possibly give it a chance.

BUT IT'S SUPER AMAZING HOLY HELL. I don't remember the last time when I watched five episodes of a series back-to-back and felt like I should watch the whole thing straight if I could. Maybe Gurren Lagann or when I was trying to give myself brain damage by forcing myself through SEED Destiny.

JoJo is classy, manly, stylish and hype as fuck. It makes 24 minutes pass like a goddamn Tic-Tac.

Also I thought Jonathan's voice sounded a lot like Siegfried Kircheis. Wasn't the same voice actor though, and instead found out that Dio's VA voiced Kircheis in LoGH Gaiden, which I'm yet to watch. Crazy, huh?!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Sounds like a slippery slot though! It's just an odd disconnect between what I think is voting for a work based on merits, and having stupid fan-wanky awards which are nonsensical fun. I'm not against the latter itself, but against it being represented together with merit awards since I feel it takes something away from it.
OK, I'll remove the character awards and we'll just say Inferno Cop and Haruka would have won it anywho.

also no gifs please.
Well it's only me who has to deal with the extra work load unless someone wants to volunteer doing all the counting for me. ;) Also I was joking about having a gif award. We'll just say it was this and call it a day.

survivor

Banned
We agreed that films and OVAs should be place in the same category, but what about specials? They're usually just considered part of the show right?

On top of the usual top 10 I have:
Films/OVAs of the year (up to three)
Studio of the year
Male character of the year
Female character of the year
OPs and EDs of the year (up to five each)

Any more request or is that fine.?
Does this mean I can't vote for movies/OVAs in the usual top 10?

Gazoinks

I think the idea is more that
everyone creates delusions large and small to get by in life, and therefore lying to oneself to make life go more smoothly is human and healthy.
This is actually kind of true to an extent (and I think the small parallels the show draws between
the way Yuka "grieves" through her search for the Unseen Horizon and the shared cultural myths her family accepts when grieving for her father
could be powerful in the hands of a better-written show). The problem is, as you said, there's no real distinction made in terms of scale or impact on one's life.

Yeah, I was kind of being facetious, but the show definitely had an issues with scale
since Rikka's fantasies approach delusion and are actively damaging to her life situation, but the show endorses them with "hey, everyone has their fantasies that help them live life."

It's indie movie syndrome. :p

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 01-07

You know, when everyone was raving about it I just didn't care. It seemed kind of dumb and as a high intellectual who was too busy watching LoGH at the time I just couldn't possibly give it a chance.

BUT IT'S SUPER AMAZING HOLY HELL. I don't remember the last time when I watched five episodes of a series back-to-back and felt like I should watch the whole thing straight if I could. Maybe Gurren Lagann or when I was trying to give myself brain damage by forcing myself through SEED Destiny.

JoJo is classy, manly, stylish and hype as fuck. It makes 24 minutes pass like a goddamn Tic-Tac.

Also I thought Jonathan's voice sounded a lot like Siegfried Kircheis. Wasn't the same voice actor though, and instead found out that Dio's VA voiced Kircheis in LoGH Gaiden, which I'm yet to watch. Crazy, huh?!

Just wait till you get to Battle Tendency.

Theonik

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 26 -END-
iO59joHq8HqVt.png

My Loan and Bich Mai are the names of heroes.
And this is over so many manly tears shed in this
Okita ;_;, Mamoru ;_;
It's been a while since I've seen a show that is this near flawless in executing everything it sets out to do.
Bra fucking vo.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Does this mean I can't vote for movies/OVAs in the usual top 10?
We decided to separate them to give them a chance because the films and OVAs are often seen by a smaller audience on GAF compared to the TV shows so they hardly have a chance of being in the final top 10. Though with shows like Little Witch Academia we could very well be wrong. If you feel the limit of three is too small I could increase it to five. We felt 10 would be too many because hardly anyone sees that many new films and OVAs in a year.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 26 -END-

And this is over so many manly tears shed in this
Okita ;_;, Mamoru ;_;
It's been a while since I've seen a show that is this near flawless in executing everything it sets out to do.
Bra fucking vo.

The last few episodes were brutal tearjerkers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom