• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I don't think I've ever seen this much smut talk on AniGAF ever! Kirito's penis this, Arararagi's jizz that, Free's DTL hotdogs... My god such language!

Did I read right that a new SAO was coming? I just assumed someone was trolling here but wanted to follow up to be sure :-| <---*being serious*

Theonik

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 23
i6MSKzEFdOHqL.png

Moe
Another awesome episode. Also dat acceptance of the Kotai boat having sailed on all sides. RIP waifus.
Okita *bow* *bow*
This show. This show. That sakuga.

LordCanti

Ararararagi doesn't know the meaning of the words "refractory period".

Internet died again so I can't finish Yamato, but it's looking like a solid 7 or so on my AOTY list as of ep 24.

hipbabboom

Yamato 2199 - 21

I'm barely half way through this episode but I about lost it when
dude smelt his hands.... I've totally did that in real life after coming in contact with a hot girl and its creepy as hell!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Finished up Silver Spoon. Definitely one of my favorite shows of the year. It was really entertaining with an enjoyable cast of characters and hit upon a set of themes that I haven't really seen done much in any anime before. Ended up being a lot better than Moyashimon, I can't wait for the second season. My most anticipated show for next season.

I will say the one thing that bothered me was how quickly he gave up on the idea of being a vegetarian. It's not that hard to be a vegetarian. Even if you live in Japan you can still do it (although certain people in here who shall not be named are cowards!). Obviously though the show was a lot better for it because a lot of it just doesn't happen if he just simply refuses to eat meat.

LordCanti

Meat is what's for dinner. Nothing else is quite as good with liquor.

Yamato 24

Did uhh... Did he put a
baby in her?

Their culture still needs an info dump.

If that bothers you, boy are you watching the wrong kind of entertainment. Anime may not be for you.

Umm no. I don't watch anime to look at the cheeks of young cartoony girls. I watch anime for the characters and story when they interest me. There are plenty of anime that don't revolve around fan service like that and which I can enjoy.

sonicmj1

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 14

Did you think this show couldn't do a psychologically-probing Eva episode? Because you were wrong.

ibru5OAINM45W6.jpg
iyS6qbhM9U7GB.jpg
iqu3NRNe7YCMb.jpg

In this episode, everyone is Shinji

Seriously, even if it used many of the tropes familiar to these sort of episodes, they were applied well in exploring the backgrounds and motivations of Kodai and Yuki. I liked the similarities and differences across the two sets of delusions, with Kodai's black-and-white nostalgia (even reflected in the traditional look of his family's home), with Yuki's stark white-on-white alienation.

Yamato succeeds at everything it sets out to do. If it weren't for the show's obsession with butts in skintight suits, you could recommend it unconditionally to pretty much anyone.

I'm still not sure what Chu-2 was trying to say when it got all preachy in those last few episodes.
Running away from reality and retreating into a fantasy world that's so delicately balanced that one move will cause it to crumble around your feet and send you into eternal depression is for pros? Only conformists deal with their problems in healthy ways!

I think the idea is more that
everyone creates delusions large and small to get by in life, and therefore lying to oneself to make life go more smoothly is human and healthy.
This is actually kind of true to an extent (and I think the small parallels the show draws between
the way Yuka "grieves" through her search for the Unseen Horizon and the shared cultural myths her family accepts when grieving for her father
could be powerful in the hands of a better-written show). The problem is, as you said, there's no real distinction made in terms of scale or impact on one's life.

LayLa

Yamato has inspired me to make an attempt to watch all of Legend of the Galactic Heroes during 2014.
is there a preferred order to watch it in? Chronological, Production etc?

Yamato has inspired me to make an attempt to watch all of Legend of the Galactic Heroes during 2014.
is there a preferred order to watch it in? Chronological, Production etc?

My Conquest Is the Sea of Stars -> Overture to a New War -> Main series

After that you can watch the side stuff. Overture to a New War is a better telling of the first two episodes and My Conquest Is the Sea of Stars is basically the series pilot.

You could really watch Golden Wings whenever, but I wouldn't recommend it.

yamato 15

shit getting triangle/real/butts

Does star blazers still hold up? Was the english dub version butchered in anyway? Think ill watch that again someday.

Theonik

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 24
What are those feelings. I don't understand.
Very good episode.
Also some pictures because firehawk requested them.

If it weren't for the show's obsession with butts in skintight suits, you could recommend it unconditionally to pretty much anyone.
Aren't the butts in skin-tight suits one of the reasons why you can recommend it to pretty much everyone though?

hipbabboom

You guys keep comparing those ladies and you for get the dead hotness on Mars. Homegirl fixing to drive a man towards necrophilia. It would be damn good necro-ass too. Gives me that onesama feel. Hnnggg!

Theonik

You guys keep comparing those ladies and you for get the dead hotness on Mars. Homegirl fixing to drive a man towards necrophilia. It would be damn good necro-ass too. Gives me that onesama feel. Hnnggg!
Akira is best girl. These shots are just conveniently already uploaded it all.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Is Yamato only available as a fansub?

And are the Bakemonogatari episodes missing from CR critical? It looks like they have the other three seasons just fine but the first season looks like it's missing around 3-4 episodes. Right?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
For the love of.... I woke up and check my facebook feed and apparently there's now a 16.6 of SAO now. What.....

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
a what. is that a radio station? And why do you have SAO friends.

I don't have SAO friends. I'm just subscribed to SAO stuff and half the time it's cool shit. The other half is not so cool shit. 16.6 is apparently a sequel 16.6.

Apparently the chronological order is 16.5, The Day Before LN, 16.6

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
We agreed that films and OVAs should be place in the same category, but what about specials? They're usually just considered part of the show right?

On top of the usual top 10 I have:
Films/OVAs of the year (up to three)
Studio of the year
Male character of the year
Female character of the year
OPs and EDs of the year (up to five each)

Any more request or is that fine.?

Theonik

Sorry. Just got back from the gym. Need glucose. Brain still isn't back to 100%. :p
The Japanese release comes with English subtitles.
There is also a western release planned for next year but we know not of its quality.

We agreed that films and OVAs should be place in the same category, but what about specials? They're usually just considered part of the show right?
It would depend on whether they are standalone. Some people voted for that early OP remake special for example.

duckroll

Depending on the special, it can either be considered as part of a series or a film/OVA I guess. I don't even know what "special" means in this case!

Are we seriously going to have stuff like best character and so on. I'll really rather not. It feels really dumb. This isn't MAL. :(

I don't have SAO friends. I'm just subscribed to SAO stuff and half the time it's cool shit. The other half is not so cool shit. 16.6 is apparently a sequel 16.6.

Apparently the chronological order is 16.5, The Day Before LN, 16.6

i still have no clue what a 16.6 is.

is that some evangaleon numbering bullshit?

Some side chapter after volume 16? Some OVA after episode 16? etc

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Depending on the special, it can either be considered as part of a series or a film/OVA I guess. I don't even know what "special" means in this case!

Are we seriously going to have stuff like best character and so on. I'll really rather not. It feels really dumb. This isn't MAL. :(

Why does it even matter though?

We all know Bearguy-san is character of the year.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

I was just looking over the previous threads and saw the term "special" used in the 2010 one. I'll just leave it and let people decide where they think it is best suited. As for the character of the year, it's to give Inferno Cop an easy award. Besides it's optional so if you don't want to vote in the extra categories don't. Besides it's not like I'm doing best hairstlye of the year or best "what you say" reaction face of the year.

Pooya

On top of the usual top 10 I have:
Films/OVAs of the year (up to three)
Studio of the year
Male character of the year
Female character of the year
OPs and EDs of the year (up to five each)

Any more request or is that fine.?

if we're doing lame things like best character of the year might as well include something like best original soundtrack, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom