• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 Officially Revealed for PC, Xbox One, PS4 [Reddit Rumor = Ban]

Nothing that really grasped me, but it looks fine.
I have to agree that it does feel like it's Fallout 3/NV all over again with the tone and designs though.

Lulubop

Witcher 3 runs like horseshit on consoles though, especially PS4. And it doesn't look all that great either.

XEuV9zL.gif

This I hadn't considered...

And Fallout 3, NV and Skyrim ran worse than that on previous gen systems and looked worse in relation to games at the time.

OT, at last: it's a new Fallout game. I'll buy it. I like the color palatte. Story will probably be trash, but since I never interact with Beth's main quests until I've exhausted everything else, whatever. Gonna spend 200 hours with it on every platform I own and it's gonna be my GOTY no matter when it releases.

Euron

Unless it's running at 60fps like MGSV, it really doesn't.
MGS5 is confirmed cross gen though. If Fallout 4 really isn't cross gen we don't know what Bethesda is doing to take advantage of the hardware. This could be the biggest world ever seen in a video game for all we know.

And for the people making Witcher 3 comparisons, at least Bethesda is actually showing us what the game will look like (plus they're games haven't been about the graphics since Oblivion). Plus Witcher 3 still has bad framerate on PS4 after not looking like initial footage which really hinders gameplay. Bethesda is hopefully putting the effort in where it matters.

M°°nblade;166292029 said:
What a contradiction.

If anything, it's the lack of geometry and lighting effect that's hurting the game's looks.

Well assuming Bethesda "Played it safe/conservative" in teh graphics department

What is our reasonable expectation for what they will deliver on the other aspects of the game

So much DLC and withheld content. 30 FPS. 2.35:1 resolution and a d horribly buggy launch. I love it! So effing love it. Let's be honest.
Looks fun though. No day-1 buy for me though. I'm too poverty of logical thought for that type of game.

(Seriously though, it does look awesome)

imBask

Banned
The whining about graphics in this thread is why devs always announce their games with boring CG trailers.

Good on Bethesda for putting their balls on the table with an in-engine announcement.

honest question, is it specified that this is in-engine? for all we know this could be pre-rendered and the game looks even worst!

As long as the framerate is silky smooth I'll be a happy camper. I personally have reached a point of diminishing returns with visuals in console games. Performance means far more to me. The visuals in Fallout 4 (*if* accurately represented in the trailer/screenshots) will suffice for me.

tuxfool

Banned
It doesn't look all that great technically, but I really appreciate the extra colour and some of the scene composition. The unmitigated brownness of the previous games made them really unappealing to me.

While I appreciate trailers that don't downsample, I'm really not impressed with the IQ. I'll be damned if there isn't aliasing everywhere.

Given the boat mountains, I'm going to guess it's set in LA. If so I'm kinda disappointed, really don't like that city as a setting for... anything,

Fury451

Banned
So much DLC and withheld content. 30 FPS. 2.35:1 resolution and a d horribly buggy launch. I love it! So effing love it. Let's be honest.
Looks fun though. No day-1 buy for me though. I'm too poverty of logical thought for that type of game.

(Seriously though, it does look awesome)

I'm sure you're being somewhat sarcastic here, but when has a Bethesda RPG not given a crapload of content on launch?

Looking forward to seeing/reading more, but a few things:

-the world looks a lot more evolved, which could be great. I love the desolation of a good post-apocalyptic story, so hopefully there's plenty of wasteland- but some of those city shots were neat. A lack of loading time, more NPC VAs, and better NPC AI will make or break those larger cities, though. I dreaded every time I had to go into New Vegas. It was a fucking mess. :/

-not crazy about all the color. One of the things I actually didn't like about New Vegas was the happy blue sky with the little tufts of clouds hovering about. If there's one style of game I like bleak and gloomy, it's definitely post-apoc games. Lighting looks good though and the implication of weather is welcome!

-I really hope there isn't constant VA for the protagonist. That would really bum me out. As others have pointed out, Fallout is a series I like planting myself into. For major event scenes- ok... maybe, but for all of the various dialogue options, no. I'm getting tired of playing as Troy Baker.

-not sure if I can handle a lot of post-apocalyptic BAWSTON accents, hahah!

-if these graphics are so underwhelming (according to many here), could Fallout 4 possibly be a candidate for Project Morpheus? ;)

-I feel like when we see more, the 'next-gen' element of the graphics/presentation/gameplay will present itself further, That said, I didn't feel the same level of being impressed with F3/NV to Fallout 4 as I did with Oblivion to Skyrim, which absolutely blew me away and that was within the same gen. I, like clearly many others, just kind of expected more- but I'm remaining optimistic. I put in almost 200 hours into Fallout 3 and consider it in my Top 5 of last gen. Excited to get back into the wasteland. :)

So the main character talks, interesting.

Not impressed with the graphics, but willing to relent because Bethesda's worlds are usually very well crafted

Watevaman

The overall quality of the assets may not be as high as some other games on the market today, but I for one am just happy that it's more detailed in terms of feeling. For example, the leaves in the hallway are a nice touch and it looks like there's gonna be a wider variety of stuff.

Plus, if it's a nice, big world, then I'm happy with it.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Yep. People would rather be lied to, apparently, and then get all indignant when the actual game releases.

Ridiculous. I think the game looks great given the hardware they have to work with.

Your post is ridiculous.

People would rather a game have great graphics. No lying and no downgrades, just great graphics. Why do you think it's either them lying right now or downgrades in a year or two?

So...odds of this hitting in 2015? Or is spring 2016 more likely? Guessing since they didn't say a date its the latter...unless they want to save something for the press conference.

I think it looks fine.

I have no idea what people were expecting, but it's an open-world game from a series that has never really been a looker.

If you have been playing 3D Fallout for its graphics, then man, I don't know how you ever enjoyed 3D Fallout.

molnizzle

And Fallout 3, NV and Skyrim ran worse than that on previous gen systems and looked worse in relation to games at the time.

Only if the previous gen system was a PS3. The 360 versions of Bethesda's game all ran pretty great — and at launch. A hell of a lot better than Witcher 3 is running on current gen, that's for sure.

People would rather a game have great graphics. No lying and no downgrades, just great graphics. Why do you think it's either them lying right now or downgrades in a year or two?

Because we understand the hardware they have to work with. These consoles aren't magical objects that need to have their arcane secrets deciphered. They have standardized x86 components that've been around for quite a while now.

MattXIII

Looks decent I guess.

Will buy once its been out for a year or so, giving the mod scene time to grow.
Please have mods.

SillyJoe

Can't fucking wait, basically. By far the most hyped I've ever been for anything in my life. Is that sad? Maybe.

Anyway, the game looks absolutely gorgeous. Replays of 3 and New Vegas 100% imminent. Fuck yeah.

"Ugh! I wish developers were upfront about their game's visuals in trailers or even lowered graphical fidelity so once the game is out, our expectations our met and nobody would have deceived us!"

*Fallout 4 trailer releases*

"Ugh, that's so ugly! What developer would show a game looking like this in confidence?! Are they trying to get me to not buy their ugly looking game? This is some PS2, early 360 era stuff! Fallout 3 looked the same, even better in spots!"

Marty-McFly-What.gif

I thought it looked good too. I guess people were expecting more. I just want good performance. I'll most likely go PC on this but if the console versions run great I might get it on one of them.

This is why I'm assuming the graphics aren't anything groundbreaking here. They are probably making it to hopefully run smooth and to be able to handle any/all features they want to include in the game.

Awesome trailer. Looks amazing.

Does any USA gaf member know where this game is based? Unsure of locations but I thought that was the liberty bell in a shot there but could be wrong

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Witcher 3 runs like horseshit on consoles though, especially PS4. And it doesn't look all that great either.

Fallout 4 is a Bethesda game. It is going to run like shit on consoles as well. The Witcher 3 looks WAY better than this, however you consider it. It is also incredibly massive. It also has no gameplay load times which I hope Bethesda picks up on but I seriously doubt it.

Originally Posted by Darkstorne

This game was in pre-production since 2008, and full production since 2011 - two years before current gen consoles went on sale and before they even officially existed. Fallout is a series expected to sell 10 million + copies these days. Chances are extremely high this started out as a cross-gen game but shifted to current gen only a year or so ago when Zenimax were convinced by PS4/Xbone adoption rates to ditch the larger install base of last gen.

That explains the lower-than-expected graphic quality. At least we'll easily be seeing 1080p and 30+fps on consoles, and PC gamers know not to worry about visuals in Bethesda Game Studios titles anyway =)

Cross post from the other thread

there is your answer and Why this looks more like GTA5 and less like The Witcher 3

Top Bottom