• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout - Series Reviews

Never played the games other than a few minutes of the mobile version, so will watch it eventually with no expectations. I did like what I've seen so far in the trailers at least.

93% on Rotten Tomatoes after 36 reviews:

53645429765_1ecf1cf6b1_c.jpg

Huge win for Bethesda/Microsoft/Amazon!

As always, I'll judge things for myself, was going to watch it regardless. Trailers looked promising and it has talent behind it so I'm optimistic, will binge it all this weekend most likely 👌

Singular7

Initial reviews are promising -- hopefully its not a Ring's of Power girl boss situation, but I'll watch regardless.

GymWolf

I haven't played any of them ... which one is best?
Some are gonna say the first 2 because they were the real fallouts, some are gonna say 3 for the atmosphere, very few are gonna say 4 because it has the most modern gameplay (for bethesda standards).

Edit: shit i forgot new vegas, probably the best one in 3d for freedom of choice.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Reviews are showing up alongside the show itself.

eurogamer 4/5

IGN 9/10

Film Stories: positive

Let’s goooo!
Alot of the reviews saying quirky and funny and just like the games

I definitely played different fallout games to everyone else. I don't remember laughing out loud at any of them... sure the pipboy gags were satirical and some side quests were silly...

But it's just not a funny game 🤷‍♂️

I definitely played different fallout games to everyone else. I don't remember laughing out loud at any of them... sure the pipboy gags were satirical and some side quests were silly...

The main character is silent in the games. The whole gag of having a cheesy, idealistic and naive 1950s person emerge in the apocalypse is kind of inherently comedic when they have to act it out. It's like Blast From the Past basically, with more violence.

220px-BlastFromThePast.jpg

RagnarokIV

Yeah, I prefer 1 and 2 as opposed to the Bethout games… As a youngster the game over screen in Fallout 2 gave me a fucken nightmare lol

StueyDuck

The main character is silent in the games. The whole gag of having a cheesy, idealistic and naive 1950s person emerge in the apocalypse is kind of inherently comedic when they have to act it out. It's like Blast From the Past basically, with more violence.

220px-BlastFromThePast.jpg
Again...that's not really the humor of fallout. Yeah sure there's a tongue n cheek satire to the Innocence of the past juxtaposed to nuclear war.

Fallout just isn't a comedy game. Sure it has comedy elements but so do things like doom and gears of War. If I made a gears tv show it wouldn't be borderlands/marvel quips.

Strategize

Bipolar gaf strikes again. I thought you guys hated critic scores and that they were useless/worthless. Now, they are not? Make up your minds dumdums.
I think critics get it right more than the audience does on average, at least I know they're actually reviewing the show as a show rather than bitching about minor lore details or it being "woke" for having a female protag or something.

Last edited:
Again...that's not really the humor of fallout. Yeah sure there's a tongue n cheek satire to the Innocence of the past juxtaposed to nuclear war.

Fallout just isn't a comedy game. Sure it has comedy elements but so do things like doom and gears of War. If I made a gears tv show it wouldn't be borderlands/marvel quips.
It will automatically diverge from the games when you have to have the main character have a lot more actual personality. Just speaking and acting as a 1950s sheltered person who knows nothing instead of just a silent vessel will automatically be more comedy. All the tutorials are comedy style cartoons designed to showcase the weird infantile nature of the vault dwellers.

GymWolf

I think critics get it right more than the audience does, at least I know they're actually reviewing the show as a show rather than bitching about minor lore details or it being "woke" whatever that means.
After the high scores to the last jedi, nobody should trust reviewers ever again.

And you are naive if you think that some reviewers don't add points to overly woke shows or that they are all apolitical when they judge something, reviewers are humans afterall.

StueyDuck

It will automatically diverge from the games when you have to have the main character have a lot more actual personality. Just speaking and acting as a 1950s sheltered person who knows nothing instead of just a silent vessel will automatically be more comedy. All the tutorials are comedy style cartoons designed to showcase the weird infantile nature of the vault dwellers.
I mean we'll see but what they've shown so far and the reviewers doubling down on quirky I'm just expecting marvel dialog. Which will suck cause the fallout games generally have a decent carrot on the end of the stick to chase story wise.

They aren't narrative brilliance sure but they can provide some good twists n turns for the show.

I just hope its not a rogue band of anti heroes making jokes and doing silly things while violence happens. That shtick is so over done now... and again, not fallout, at least not of the 4 games I've played 🤷‍♂️

I mean we'll see but what they've shown so far and the reviewers doubling down on quirky I'm just expecting marvel dialog. Which will suck cause the fallout games generally have a decent carrot on the end of the stick to chase story wise.

They aren't narrative brilliance sure but they can provide some good twists n turns for the show.

I just hope its not a rogue band of anti heroes making jokes and doing silly things while violence happens. That shtick is so over done now... and again, not fallout, at least not of the 4 games I've played 🤷‍♂️
Best case scenario I'm hoping for is that over time the main character transitions from comedic and ignorant about the world to adapting as they explore more serious storylines that will span a few seasons. I think it makes sense they will be a bit of a moron for a while in season 1, as long as they adapt to survive.

we're gonna have to agree to disagree:

yep. this's a show based on a game series in which you wander around gunning down mutants, mole rats, & ghouls while listening to the ink spots & the andrews sisters, making it kinda tough to maintain any genuine sense of gravitas...
of course, having an ever-present grim/twisted sense of humor in no way invalidates the ability to either feature interesting characters or to tell an interesting story...

John Bilbo

I hope they capture even some of that retro futurism in more than just on the surface. I think the characters and dialogue will be mostly in line with the current era of 2020s than the 1950s though.

I hope they capture even some of that retro futurism in more than just on the surface. I think the characters and dialogue will be mostly in line with the current era of 2020s than the 1950s though.
Yeah, that would be a missed opportunity if they don't. Even Marvel has Captain America who has comedic moments in this exact way.

Soodanim

Gold Member
The high scores have interested me enough to wait for the user scores and see if it's trying.

Or I'll get bored one and give it a go anyway.

Either way, I expected a forgettable flop and this might be a pleasant surprise.

Top Bottom