• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu review scores (3/1/17) - Zelda: Breath of the Wild gets perfect score (40/40)

Means nothing. Very eye-rolling.
That is such a romanticised piece of artwork that it's actually cheesy.

Calm down man.
giphy.gif

Are you salty, my friend?
Well, Famitsu sometimes do give high scores, but 40 is still a 40.

Four 9s is the absolute lowest your game should get from famitsu or it's gonna be rough when real outlets get to you

They don't "sometimes" give out high scores

Edit:

its a 7.5

its not hard to calculate

game is average or I should say its exactly what most people want.....just a bomberman game

Excited overall this friday for the switch

Famitsu scores have a different calculation

40/40 actually means anything from "above average but they gave us an exclusive/money" to "it's been hyped for more than 2 years so we had to give it straight 10s"

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I expected no less, OOT, WW and SS also got 40/40.

The last 40/40 was 4 years ago though (GTA V). Edit: I forgot MGS5 in 2015.

I mentioned this in the other thread, but while I'm sure BOTW will be great, a 40/40 from Famitsu doesn't really mean a whole lot these days, lol. I 100% expected them to give this game a perfect score.

Didn't Nintendogs of all games get a 40 from them?

Lol, i'm dead

mrmickfran

The 4th Zelda to receive a perfect score from them after Ocarina, Wind Waker and Skyward Sword.

Inb4 thread derail about Skyward Sword like the Edge thread.
I expected no less, OOT, WW and SS also got 40/40.

The last 40/40 was 4 years ago though (GTA V).
Actually, MGSV also received a 40.

HunteronX

Banned
Four 9s is the absolute lowest your game should get from famitsu or it's gonna be rough when real outlets get to you

40/40 actually means anything from "above average but they gave us an exclusive/money" to "it's been hyped for more than 2 years so we had to give it straight 10s"

Fine, but how often do they give out 40s?

EDIT: It's in the first post, anyway. I'm out.

ViciousDS

Banned

interesting take

Now that I think about it.....whats the lowest score given by Famitsu for a really popular game?

Its weird, because 4 different reviewers should prevent a 40/40 from consistently happening. They all should have different tastes in games.

I know,I know famitsu scores haven't been exactly relevant for awhile now...But...40/40....Edge 10/10 I'm so damn hyped chop chop 🚂🚂🚂🚂🚂🚂

Its weird, because 4 different reviewers should prevent a 40/40 from consistently happening. They all should have different tastes in games.

Actually maybe they just

I dunno

Like video games?

Man people really don't like it when people like things more than they do huh? Nintendo games is allowed to be a 10/10 experience for four separate individual people lol.

Dystify

The 4th Zelda to receive a perfect score from them after Ocarina, Wind Waker and Skyward Sword.

Inb4 thread derail about Skyward Sword like the Edge thread.

Nope, the derail this time is that Famitsu scores don't matter anyway. :p I agree somewhat..

It was kind of expected it'll get a 40/40. If it didn't get a perfect score from Famitsu people would've been worried though.

What's so weird about it? They're not giving out a perfect score for every single game. It's only their 24th. They haven't given many of those in the recent years.

Baleoce

As someone who is purchasing the Wii U version of BotW, I'm kinda disappointed it isn't being reviewed seperately by a lot of the major review mags / sites tbh. I don't want it to piggyback on the Switch version. I want to know if it's going to be a smooth experience.

ViciousDS

Banned

I found a tidbit here.....rather interesting. But I know Zelda is going to score well it looks amazing. But does give light to Famitsu

I am sitting next to a stack of eight Famitsu magazines. It's math time. These magazines are a random sampling of the vast piles of shit in my closet and have dates from this month, earlier this year, and even a few from 2010. I have all kinds of Famitsus and Dengekis from the last few years laying around, so I grabbed this pile and looked at all of the 71 reviews from the eight magazines. The scores add up for 2190 points, for an average of 30.85. There are far more games that score in the 30's than there are the 20's, teens, and singles, combined here. In fact, the bottom half of the scale sits literally unused across this entire sampling.

Read more at http://www.gamerevolution.com/features/famitsu-sucks#czuMp4Yukzib0gmt.99

Gamerevolution really could change the headline though lol, it doesn't need to be famitsu sucks, they have great articles

I found a tidbit here.....rather interesting. But I know Zelda is going to score well it looks amazing. But does give light to Famitsu

Gamerevolution really could change the headline though lol, it doesn't need to be famitsu sucks, they have great articles

Yeah it probably means that the people that review games for famitsu aren't fucking so far up their own asses that they enjoy a lot of the games they play a good bit

pringles

I love how people are so quick to say "means nothing" when a game gets a perfect score, but if it gets an 8.8 you'll see a swarm of posters calling attention to the review and how it means the game isn't great.

ViciousDS

Banned
Yeah it probably means that the people that review games for famitsu aren't fucking so far up their own asses that they enjoy a lot of the games they play a good bit

Look, I can understand a review outlet dishing out high scores to the majority of highly anticipated titles. But to see all four reviewers assigned to a given game rank each and every game with a decent ad budget among the top tier so consistently is insane. Humans react differently to games the same way we react differently to music, movies, and books. Believe it or not, there are people out there who dislike Gran Turismo 5; there are people who despise Call of Duty; there are plenty of real, reasonable, fine human beings who just can't get into Uncharted or Assassin's Creed the way some other people can; and seemingly half the Final Fantasy fan base hated both Final Fantasy XII and Final Fantasy XIII (which were awarded 40/40 and 39/40, respectively). If you're giving every single highly touted game a high mark, and doing so while listing incredibly short, vague reasoning bordering on guesswork, then your reviews are essentially rendered meaningless. You've got four people, and all of them pretty much agree on virtually every game they review? I've had a hard time getting four people to agree what color the sky is.
Read more at http://www.gamerevolution.com/features/famitsu-sucks#czuMp4Yukzib0gmt.99

That doesn't always seem to be the case

Again because its Zelda people will say that and shit this thread.

I know Zelda is a legit 10/10 contender based on the footage and info alone. but how is it that 4 guys review the exact same way nearly every time?

As of 2016, twenty-four games have received perfect scores from Famitsu.
As of 2016, forty-six games that received a near-perfect score of 39 (in which one of four reviewers gives the game a "9" while the other three give "10s").

Not as many as I thought, but damn thats still a lot

MTC100

Banned
It's pretty crazy that we all know Famitsu is crap, yet it seems to get its own thread more often than it deserves.

That said, 40/40 is certainly not a bad sign! But it probably doesn't mean anything either.

Well the 24th game to receive a "perfect" Score, if I remember correctly BotW was the 20th Game to receive a perfect score from Edge as well.

Those scores aren't that often to come by, considering Edge has been around for 23 years and Famitsu most likely for the same amount of time.(or longer) it's already foreshadowing the coming scores of other magazines tomorrow. My guess is that Zelda will have at least a Metascore of 95 or 96.

It's just getting a pass because it's Zelda.

A pass for what? What issues are not being flagged up and it's getting an automatic good score because of the franchise history?

Just an FYI - bitter shitposting can result in a ban, and while you're a junior any ban is permanent.

Forkball

It's just getting a pass because it's Zelda.

image.php

(If BotW is anywhere near The Witcher 3 it will be GotY)

All of Famitus perfect scores. I bolded the ones I agree with (as in I would give a 10/10)

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998, Nintendo, for Nintendo 64)[1]
Soulcalibur (1999, Namco, for Dreamcast)[2]
Vagrant Story (2000, Square Co., for PlayStation)[2]
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (2003, Nintendo, for Nintendo GameCube)[2]
Nintendogs (2005, Nintendo, for Nintendo DS)[2]
Final Fantasy XII (2006, Square Enix, for PlayStation 2)[2]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2008, Nintendo, for Wii)[3]
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (2008, Konami, for PlayStation 3)[4]
428: Fūsa Sareta Shibuya de (2008, Sega, for Wii)[5]
Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (2009, Square Enix, for Nintendo DS)[6]
Monster Hunter Tri (2009, Capcom, for Wii)[7]
Bayonetta (2009, Sega, PlatinumGames, for Xbox 360)[8]
New Super Mario Bros. Wii (2009, Nintendo, for Wii)[9]
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (2010, Konami, for PlayStation Portable)[10]
Pokémon Black and White (2010, Nintendo, for Nintendo DS)[11]
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (2011, Nintendo, for Wii)[12]
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (2011, Bethesda Softworks, for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3) – the first western developed game to receive a perfect score.[13]
Final Fantasy XIII-2 (2011, Square Enix, for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3)[14]
Kid Icarus: Uprising (2012, Nintendo, for Nintendo 3DS)[15]
Yakuza 5 (2012, Sega, for PlayStation 3)[16]
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle (2013, Namco-Bandai, for PlayStation 3)[17]
Grand Theft Auto V (2013, Rockstar Games, for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3) – the second western developed game to get a perfect score after Skyrim.[18]
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (2015, Konami, for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox One)[19]
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017, Nintendo, for Wii U, Nintendo Switch) [20]
I would give MGSV's gameplay a 10/10 and the story a 1/10 so I omitted that one.

Actually maybe they just

I dunno

Like video games?

Man people really don't like it when people like things more than they do huh? Nintendo games is allowed to be a 10/10 experience for four separate individual people lol.

The problem is being able to gauge whether the consumer will enjoy the game or not. When almost everything is 30/40 or higher it muddles the system. I'm just excited for BotW as the next guy, but these reviews have lost weight.

Top Bottom