• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon |OT| Sloan's blanket is six feet of my shit.

Easy_G

If there is a sequel I hope it doesn't take itself too seriously because of upper management.

If there is a sequel I hope it's a different setting and characters, along with a different inspiration. I don't see how a direct sequel to a game like this would work. It was as good as it was because it's so fresh and unique.

Tunavi

Banned
Aww, the Blood Dragon Kotaku thread got locked. I'm just watching the credits now. Amazing game, but I seriously wanted to put the controller down after the gay joke. It was a really bad gay joke. I literally fucking cringed when I heard it. I do like the post 80's interpretations of it and how people think this was somehow the zeitgeist of manliness or something in the 80's and how just relax dude. Here's some real talk. In the 80's you wouldn't hear a gay joke in a popular action film. In the 80's we were taught to look at gay people as plague carriers. Of course I didn't believe that shit, but that's what we were taught. I know I'm going to get flamed. Everything in here was spot on 80s and I loved it, except the stupid gay joke. I'm straight and white. I just wonder what people would think if they made a black joke or jewish joke at the start of the game. Don't give me that my best friends are gay and shit. It's just fucking wrong. It's hard enough trying to explain to 12-year-olds on Xbox Live why it's not cool to call people faggots. It's harder still when our past homophobia is enshrined in content meant to mirror the 80s. As cool as the 80s were. we were still really racist, homophobic people back then.
2YrF8Uq.gif

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
I played it over a few days through Redbox, but never bought it outright.

God bless RedBox mirite?

On topic: I thought it was the funniest real world commentary when (joke spoilers)
they started talking about video games and violence at the end of the dam. The cognitive dissonance such an over the top game still thumbing its nose at alarmists was awesome. Failing to understand our capacity for kindness!

Not sure if it was posted already, but what is the name of the song in the credits and where can I find it? It was really cheesy but in a good way.

Mengetsu

My god just finished the game and holy shit what a ride! It's clear the developers were 80's babies and put so much love into the game and the music...by god the music is so legit. 10/10 well worth the 1200 space bucks. I would love a sequel but, I'm scared it won't be as good.

Anybody know if this is actually available anywhere? Possibly UK only or something?

Already bought the game on steam but I would probably buy that for the poster and soundtrack CD if I can find one. Probably give the key away to someone if its redeemable on uplay

OMFG that last sequence was absolutely amazing hahaha! When that song started playing, when the stairs lit up, it was like a fucking time warp back to the late 80's. Such a great game haha.

Arkos

Finished earlier. Sooo good!!!

Loved the
training montage and love scene! And when he accidentally blew up the scientist with the laser lol. Yes! No! Yes! No no no no!

Only regret:
no final boss makes me sadface. Riding the hilarious talking dragon just about makes up for it though I guess

Feels so fresh compared to so many other games (which is ironic, no?)

anddo0

I feel I was robbed of a
final boss.

Great game otherwise.

Finished earlier. Sooo good!!!

Loved the
training montage and love scene! And when he accidentally blew up the scientist with the laser lol. Yes! No! Yes! No no no no!

Only regret:
no final boss makes me sadface. Riding the hilarious talking dragon just about makes up for it though I guess

Feels so fresh compared to so many other games (which is ironic, no?)

I'm going to wrap things up today. I'm up to the final mission myself.

I read the spoiler tags about the
lack of a final boss
. I'm actually okay with this. It's a nice change from what's become a formularic routine. I look forward to finishing this game.

Mengetsu

I'm going to wrap things up today. I'm up to the final mission myself.

I read the spoiler tags about the
lack of a final boss
. I'm actually okay with this. It's a nice change from what's become a formularic routine. I look forward to finishing this game.

When the credits start to roll listen to the most awesome song you will ever hear and when it's done skip the rest because it's like 20 min of credits lol

drbond

Neo Member
Loved the

The
training montage
is one of the reasons to buy this game. Its awesome as it is....then they decide to score it to an awesome song from the 80's movie
(classic martial arts JCVD flick), "No Retreat, No Surrender" {"Hold on to the Vision" by Kevin Chalfant; for those that will chose the song to incorporate into their personal workout music playlists}.

The other reason to buy the game is just to experience the last hour of gameplay, and sit through the credits music. Kudos to peeps who get thrown back into the 80's after both those specific music selections at the end start up.

voltron

Raaaadical! 80s style man!

Thanks guys so close to buying this today. Totally going to. Seems like some mindless old skool FPS shooting fun. Like, fun... you remember when games were fun?

What is it 1200? Totally there? Hell Im there for 1600 but I thought I saw 1200 yesterday ..?

Finally started today, so many great cheesy one liners.
"Sure he can't? Shuriken." after a shuriken takedown had me physically cringing and shaking my head while laughing at the same time, such an incredible moment.

Arkos

Raaaadical! 80s style man!

Thanks guys so close to buying this today. Totally going to. Seems like some mindless old skool FPS shooting fun. Like, fun... you remember when games were fun?

What is it 1200? Totally there? Hell Im there for 1600 but I thought I saw 1200 yesterday ..?

That's exactly the type of fun it felt like to me. For once the hype is so true, it might even still be understating it. Hope you enjoy

Balboa

Is there no way to make money once you've completed the game? I need over $8000 for 3 more shotgun attachments but all I can think to do is pilfer corpses which would take forever.

Is there no way to make money once you've completed the game? I need over $8000 for 3 more shotgun attachments but all I can think to do is pilfer corpses which would take forever.
Have you gotten all the collectibles? Because usually where there's a collectible there are some stash boxes sitting around with money in them.

Balboa

Have you gotten all the collectibles? Because usually where there's a collectible there are some stash boxes sitting around with money in them.
Yeah I've already collected everything :( there might be one or two boxes left to pilfer but I doubt it's worth the effort to find them, could be anywhere!

Weird... I can't imagine how you could have collected everything, done all quests and still not had enough money to upgrade everything. That sucks.

Easy_G

Weird... I can't imagine how you could have collected everything, done all quests and still not had enough money to upgrade everything. That sucks.

I got in a similar situation. Maybe I wasted too much money replenishing my ammo. At least taking out the squads of enemies is fun, so pilfering isn't too much of a chore.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Such a beautiful game. Only way to top it with a sequel would be TIME TRAVEL or setting it in Miami.

Also, LOVED the final moments of the game. Just perfect.

Yeah I ran into the same problem. Spent too much on ammo and flak jacket. I needed 2 more pistol parts but $30 a corpse and $8 a hunt just ain't cutting it. I guess this is where I stop playing. Good times though.

todahawk

Yeah I ran into the same problem. Spent too much on ammo and flak jacket. I needed 2 more pistol parts but $30 a corpse and $8 a hunt just ain't cutting it. I guess this is where I stop playing. Good times though.

I had no issues with making money after the game was over but I also had $15k+ after i was done.... ran around and found more crates, I thought i was thorough but after the game there seemed to be no shortage of them. i found chaining melee attacks a quick way to make money since you don't have to pilfer afterwards.

Andrew.

Banned
Killing dragons nets you a couple hundred bucks at least. Couple that with seeking out groups of guards (which isn't hard) to chain takedown/auto pilfer should make collecting 3k worth of upgrades less painful.

Arkos

Yeah I've already collected everything :( there might be one or two boxes left to pilfer but I doubt it's worth the effort to find them, could be anywhere!

Spending too much on ammo and armor, methinks. Killing dragons gives you solid monies though. Look for dragons and collectibles, kill everything in between, you should be able to max out still. Go on foot if you're not already, helps you run over more randomly hidden stuff.

Side question: I'm feeling like pilferable boxes might be respawning randomly for me now that I've finished the game? Or did I just miss this many on my play through.

Finished it yesterday, bloody marvelous game. I had a great time and i'm now tempted to play Far Cry 3.

I'm completely happy with the ending and the last few scenes, loved the setting and art direction. It's a great labour of love. I pretty much expected it to be a nostalgia overload when i knew Dean Evans was Creative Director. Legendary 8-bit guru.

If there is a sequel i hope they do something different, they could easily drag this out and cheapen the experience if they keep the sequel the same. As it stands it's a breath of fresh air in neon and i'm perfectly happy with that.

I only missed one vehicle, grrrrrrrr!

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The killstar hand laser beam is the absolute best weapon I have ever seen, I get a huge chuckle out of whirling it up and ripping enemy waves into blue clouds of cyber death.

However I really do wish the pistol wasn't such shit, this thing should have been single shot and very heavy hitting with the option for a triple shot modification. As it is now the pistol feels really underwhelming.

Top Bottom