• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fatal Frame: Nuregarasu no Miko new info

I didn't notice before but they actually showed Ren in a picture during the streaming.

Gt19mz6.jpg

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
the mission mode could work fine, reading at it it seems more a chapter mode than everything.
for controls, didn't they already confirmed the gamepad as a camera?
good to have the map on pad during exploration.
this REALLY needs to come west side

Wasn't the Xbox brain the ultimate version?

I gotta find the Wii one.

Xbox version added an extra ending and had some really neat extras like a first person mode. My one complaint about the wii version is it doesn't have any interesting unlocks like that, just costumes.

big_z

Xbox version added an extra ending and had some really neat extras like a first person mode. My one complaint about the wii version is it doesn't have any interesting unlocks like that, just costumes.

The wii version is still the one to play. It also has an exclusive ending and the first person mode is pointless since they dropped the fixed cameras. I believe it has all the other content the Xbox version had.

IMO the wii version is like the remake version of resident evil 1.

I think it doesn't even compare. REbirth has actually a lot of new content. The same can't be said for FF2 remake.

IMO there wasn't really need for a FF2 remake to begin with.

Shizuka

Everyone asks for a Wii U Fatal Frame game, until one is announced, and then confirmed not to be the game everyone thought it would be.

The wii version is still the one to play. It also has an exclusive ending and the first person mode is pointless since they dropped the fixed cameras. I believe it has all the other content the Xbox version had.

Unless, you know, you don't think the perspective shift was an improvement. Not to say FF2Wii was bad, far from it (FF2 is still the best one, either version depending on taste), but I still prefer the original.

The wii version got rid of the mission mode and replaced it with that horrible haunted house rails game. Xbox version also had a arcade style mode where you'd play all the houses in quick sucession.

I agree that it's the definite version of the game and comparable to Resie in terms of being a from the ground up remake. Heavily improved graphics, new cutscenes, completely different perspective, changes to the gameplay(ie, traditional hold charge system) make it the best version of the game.

And a first person mode would have still been a neat way to explore the environments, looking through the viewfinder constantly isn't quite the same.

HIR0

I'm not sure about mission unlocking.
I'd rather they let me explore the location they have set in the game and have a natural progression kind of flow rather than breaking the game up into missions.

I like the new mission based-structure. It seems to allow for a variety of smaller stories on different individuals, something that really excites me.

I love the idea of learning about individuals and why they came. Kind of like anime series Hell Girl, Mushishi, Kings Journey, etc.

Then again I'm not a horror fan.

It's just FF2 with FF4 visuals and mechanics.

I don't think it's bad, but I was expecting more new content.

The perspective shift completely changes how you approach the game and how its scares and atmosphere are presented. Same content for the most part outside of the gameplay tweaks(ie, locking on, ghost hands) but it felt very different to me.

The perspective shift completely changes how you approach the game and how its scares and atmosphere are presented. Same content for the most part outside of the gameplay tweaks(ie, locking on, ghost hands) but it felt very different to me.

It felt pretty familiar to me. Probably because I had already played FF4 at that point.

REbirth actually has new areas, some new mechanics, new enemies and new puzzles.

big_z

Do we know how many characters are playable?

I'm hoping its one and the mission structure is something like these people are missing, choose who to find first and maybe you'll learn information on the way which leads/unlocks new locations/victims.

I fear it will be play this character, then play another in the same area, rinse and repeat. That type of gameplay really hurt fatal frame 4.

Speaking of fatal frame 4
in the basement where there's circular-ish hallway with a room that you can look into via tiny slots, is there a way into the room, or does anything happen?
my spirit tracker was glowing but I couldn't find anything.

It felt pretty familiar to me. Probably because I had already played FF4 at that point.

REbirth actually has new areas, some new mechanics, new enemies and new puzzles.

It feels different compared to the original, which is what it is a remake of. And REmake is certainly more extensive, but FF2 Wii has a similar graphical overall.

Edit: Maybe they just mean it is broken into chapters? The wii version of Fatal Frame 2 broke the game up into chapters which the PS2 version didn't do. Chapter goals could just be finding the person you're looking for, causing the story to move forward.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
It feels different compared to the original, which is what it is a remake of. And REmake is certainly more extensive, but FF2 Wii has a similar graphical overall.

Edit: Maybe they just mean it is broken into chapters? The wii version of Fatal Frame 2 broke the game up into chapters which the PS2 version didn't do. Chapter goals could just be finding the person you're looking for, causing the story to move forward.
Having played the original Fatal Frame 2 recently, it is split into chapters.

Missions don't bother me based on how they're handled. Since one of their main three locations mentioned was the shop, I imagine it being like Fatal Frame 3, you have a main home area, but the difference is that clients ask you to do things in the mountains which you then can set out to do.

Ambition

Fatal Frame should not be exclusive to Wii U. P.T. should give the developers clues as to why they should expand to PS4...it's the better system with way better graphics prowess.

Fatal Frame is Wii U exclusive?! Sheeeit one more reason for me to buy a Wii U this winter :D

Do we know how many characters are playable?
Not sure but I think Miu and Ren are playable. So 3 playable characters?

The graphical overhaul isn't nearly as big as REbirth since the original game is a PSX title while FF2 is a PS2 game. I'm not even sure why they made a remake so soon and for a console of similar capabilities like the Wii.

The graphical overhaul isn't nearly as big as REbirth since the original game is a PSX title while FF2 is a PS2 game. I'm not even sure why they made a remake so soon and for a console of similar capabilities like the Wii.

It looks a lot better, Fatal Frame 2 wii is on the upper echelon of games for the system visually. The wii is more powerful than the PS2, and Fatal Frame 2 was a game designed for the system despite the Xbox port.

tmarques

If you don't literally hold your gamepad upright Nintendoland-style to battle ghosts, the whole game is one big conceptual failure [that I'll still import day zero].

They wouldn't be that stupid, would they? Using the pad as a radar in ZombiU was ridiculous fun, I can't imagine what a similar system would do for Fatal Frame.

It looks a lot better, Fatal Frame 2 wii is on the upper echelon of games for the system visually. The wii is more powerful than the PS2, and Fatal Frame 2 was a game designed for the system despite the Xbox port.

It looks quite nice and better than the original, yeah. It's not a huge difference though.

What I mean to say is, based on visuals and new contents, it's not on the same league as the RE remake, which I think is one of the best remakes ever.

I still liked the game, but I think it wasn't really necessary. Would have preferred a new title or a remake of the original game, if they really had to make one :p

What I mean to say is, based on visuals and new contents, it's not on the same league as the RE remake, which I think is one of the best remakes ever.

I still liked the game, but I think it wasn't really necessary. Would have preferred a new title or a remake of the original game, if they really had to make one :p

Fair enough, hard to mess with perfection though :p

Still can't believe NoA brought over Spirit Camera but not the already translated version of one of the most respected horror games of all time :/

Fair enough, hard to mess with perfection though :p

Still can't believe NoA brought over Spirit Camera but not the already translated version of one of the most respected horror games of all time :/

Yeah, that is weird. They really didn't care about it.

In europe the game even came out just a single day after the japanese release. Too bad they'll probably not do this with FF5 :(

Fatal Frame should not be exclusive to Wii U. P.T. should give the developers clues as to why they should expand to PS4...it's the better system with way better graphics prowess.

Sigh... Do you want to get banned?

Back to the topic:

Still look like a fatal frame game, not sure how to feel about mission based though.

MarionCB

I share the trepidation towards the mission based structure. Hopefully I'll get a chance to see for myself!

The perspective shift completely changes how you approach the game and how its scares and atmosphere are presented.

It's personal preference, but this is exactly why the Wiimake is inferior to the Xbox version, for me. The forced perspective of the original allowed the designers complete control in how each area is perceived and revealed. This meant the tension and dread could be dramatically increased by just the right angle or placement of the player, objects or ghosts; the way you went down those winding stairs, not getting to see in front of you, or approached a corner at the end of a long corridor, or a large foreground object obfuscating the scene. By not letting you see around where you like and having a static camera instead, all kinds of artful direction was possible, and they could focus or hide elements from the player to great effect. Then the Wiimake took all this and, unchanged, made it an indirect over the shoulder First Person Perspective. Something which I found diminished the tension and horror.

It's the same thing the Resident Evil series did with RE4, which had the same dread-diminishing effect; it increased the action aspect instead. RE could survive this change because they were always action games too, but Fatal Frame, as a much purer Horror game, is much more badly affected. Well, at least, for me and my preferences. There was also the dramatic difference in going from Third Person to First Person in switching to the Camera--the only time you could see where you liked--and back again, which was somewhat lost too.

Understandable, but not having a complete view of everything around you is exactly what makes the wii version so much more terrifying to me. Running and not being entirely sure whether Kusabi is behind, or to the side of me is incredibly tense. You do miss something in terms of the "artful" direction that you mentioned, but seeing the entire stage at once made it pretty easy to respond to any situation that popped up. Whereas in the wii version I was having to use sound in combination with the visual elements to track ghosts.

Meesh

Wait, what.. I don't understand. A murderer in a suicide forest? Does he murder inside the forest or just hide there? The former would be kinda weird..
Weird...instead of just letting you commit suicide, the killer murders you...before you can get the job done. Seems to me the best place for a murderer isn't at some random suicide hangout, but rather a birthday, Christmas, or slumber party where they can truly relish the pain, agony and terror of those who're happy and interested in living.

Whoever this murderer is, he's gotta be totally washed up and having some kind of midlife killer crisis. Plot fail total??

Anyways, I'll still buy, play and preach the shit outta this game to friends and family who love horror games, after all WiiU doesn't have enough of these little gems.

Weird...instead of just letting you commit suicide, the killer murders you...before you can get the job done. Seems to me the best place for a murderer isn't at some random suicide hangout, but rather a birthday, Christmas, or slumber party where they can truly relish the pain, agony and terror of those who're happy and interested in living.

Dunno - if you want to go undetected, killing people at a notorious suicide spot is a pretty good way to go about it, provided you don't go all Leatherface on your victims. Not to mention that not everyone going there is going to be planning suicide, and even those who are aren't likely to want to have that final decision taken away from them.

I quite like the idea, and it has the potential to add an interesting new wrinkle to the series.

Meesh

Dunno - if you want to go undetected, killing people at a notorious suicide spot is a pretty good way to go about it, provided you don't go all Leatherface on your victims. Not to mention that not everyone going there is going to be planning suicide, and even those who are aren't likely to want to have that final decision taken away from them.
I suppose if all a guy wants to do is get his rocks off, but stringing the authorities along seems to be part of the fun(Or so Ive heard). I haven't spent a lot of time with the series like you I think so there's probably some things about what to expect within the Fatal Frame universe story and characters that don't resonate with me just yet. I'm sure all my criticisms, though few, will be laid to rest without a worry. :) I'm just picky about characters and story is all.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I am not too hot on the mission structure of the game as that tend to disrupt the game flow.

Either way I can't wait to play this game when it get localized.

Translation: "Whaa whaa why isn't this on the PS4 whaa whaa I don't want to buy a baby console whaa whaa."

Seriously port begging isn't cool.

Siren used a mission structure and it worked well for the game. Particularly, the second game where it was refined. Unlocking the rest of the game by meeting certain goals within missions that can be repeated sounds a lot like those games and it shouldn't be a surprise if they were inspired by the cult classic. Here's hoping.

Looks like they will be streaming some events about the movie. They're also gonna play FF1. I wonder if they'll show FF5 in the last session...

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201409/05060695.html

C8QbKYy.jpg

Translation by Homuranagi on the BCL forums:

http://bcl.rpen.us/community/index.php?/topic/1159-japanese-movie-topic/page-3

The full schedule (all times in JST). Note that you will need a Niconico account if you want to watch these. If you won't make it in time, schedule a timeshift (basically a recording for later).

First Night: Commentated playthrough of FF1

http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv191396163

Time: 15/9 (Monday), 12pm - 4am

Cast: Various LPers, Makoto Shibata

Details: Playing through FF1 for 14 hours. They aim to finish the game at the initial screening on the 22nd, so it looks like they've potentially given themselves a very optimistic estimate of how long this game is.

Second Night: Commentated playthrough of FF1 + behind the scenes look at the premiere event

http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv191395852

Time: 22/9 (Monday), 6pm - 8pm

Cast: Ayami Nakajo, Fujiko Kojima, Mari Asato, some LPers and possibly others

Details: A live stream of the event to celebrate the movie's premiere. This is where they also plan to complete the playthrough of FF1 with the cast present.

Third Night: Horror stories and scary tales about FF

http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv191395900

Time: 23/9 (Tuesday), 9pm - 11pm

Cast: Shimako Iwai, Hirokatsu Kihara, Ginty Kobayashi, Kaoru Sakura, Mari Asato, Makoto Shibata

Details: Horror authors (and a voice actress) talk about true ghost stories with Mari Asato and Makoto Shibata. This could be gold. Also accepting reader submissions to be read by the voice actress.

Fourth Night: Live stream of a haunted place... with a... pretty girl...?

http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv191395918

Time: 24/9 (Wednesday), 8pm - 10:30pm

Cast: Perhaps a ghost...?

Details: Streaming a haunted ruin in the hope of catching a ghost. Sounds thrilling.

Final Night: A special get-together just before the film's release

http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv191396152

Time: 25/9 (Thursday), 9pm - 4am

Cast: Movie cast, staff, LPers, lots of others

Details: Final special programme before release. A special showing of part of the movie, plus highlights and stories from the cast and director. Kadokawa also talking about the history of horror and other things no one cares about, plus yet ANOTHER LP session? What this time? It can't be FF1 again?

jimi_dini

Siren used a mission structure and it worked well for the game. Particularly, the second game where it was refined.

Hmm, the mission structure was one of the reasons why Siren just didn't click for me. You switch characters all the time and also areas. Nothing feels connected, I wasn't pulled in because of that. I stopped in the middle of that game and never tried it again.

I will buy this in any case. I just hope that this mission structure won't ruin the game. Hopefully Nintendo will release a Limited Edition of some sort. Fatal Frame the series deserves that.

I really hope Nintendo can bring Fatal Frame Wii U to the U.S and Dub it. This is one of the games i've been dying to get on Wii U.

IzzyF3

Nintendo!!!!! If you're looking! We want Fatal Frame!!!!

Seriously, Fatal Frame in HD looks incredible. Throw in a Fatal Frame character in Smash Bros and you know more people will buy FF. Just do it, Nintendo.

Pachimari

Would it help if someone made a Twitter campaign?

I'm just not sure anyone is aware if the interest from the West is high enough.

I would be ecstatic if it came to our side of the world.

Top Bottom