• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF7 remake's latest staff interviews (contains some info on multi-release plan)

I wonder, if they'd just come out and said in a single sentence "We're remaking Final Fantasy VII for PS4, and instead of just a single game, we'll be adapting it into a multiple, full-length titles." if the reaction would be different.

The more we learn about this, the less concerned I am.

What's in that video? I get multiple games that look and play like that? That sounds fucking awesome.

HeelPower

I'm really disappointed by this news, but a fully realized FF7 Remake in PS4 standard is a much much larger undertaking than Witcher 3.

Witcher 3 also reuses many assets. I love witcher 3 but most of everything pretty much looks the same. It's impressive.

The Witcher 3 is really not the BC/CE "great divide" some folks think it is. It does a lot of things right, but it's not an apt comparison relative to the embarrassment of riches that is FFVII when it comes to diversity of locale and shifts in plot.

You really cannot compare The Witcher 3 with something of the scale of a Final Fantasy game.

Have you guys even played TW3 ?

Bracketing aside the difficulties of remaking FF7 on modern tech,I see too many people over simplifying and belittling what a humongous,gigantic game TW3 really is.

TW3's world is staggeringly huge,rich and sophisticated.

Turin

Banned
If there's fetch quests, I hope the stories to them are as amusing as some of the ones in Witcher 3. lol

That's disappointing. I don't understand why they would have to change the combat style. That's a huge part of the game and it's just being replaced. I hope it's good but I just can't imagine it being better than the original or being as epic as some of the original boss fights.

*shrug*

I think they can be more epic. Depends on how it's done. At least the
mind battle with Sephiroth
will be better.

Bracketing aside the difficulties of remaking FF7 on modern tech,I see too many people over simplifying and belittling what a humongous,gigantic game TW3 really is.

Witcher 3 is a game specifically designed with PS4/XB1 and modern PCs in mind. They know the limits of these systems and played within them.

Square Enix have to take what was already a game pushing PS1 hardware to its limits in 1997, and take it even further beyond on PS4 in 2017, something that wasn't even on their radar when it was originally designed and planned. That's the key difference.

HeelPower

Witcher 3 is a game specifically designed with PS4/XB1 and modern PCs in mind. They know the limits of these systems and played within them.

Square Enix have to take what was already a game pushing PS1 hardware to its limits in 1997, and take it even further beyond on PS4 in 2017, something that wasn't even on their radar when it was originally designed and planned. That's the key difference.

I totally realize how insane the remake will be when translated to HD 3D.

But there's no need to make a mockery of TW3 achieved in modern world design.

Its huge.

And most of the way they did would not work today without a huge amount of work .
FFVII has 14 towns and most of them different how many RPGs even comes close to that today .

Its huge.

I don't think anyone is making a mockery of TW3.
People just saying you can't say TW3 huge so FFVII should be okay to do .
They are very different .

MrHoot

Well I will still give credit to witcher 3, it is still a massive game (even though the locations are more homogeneized) but it doesn't take away it's grandeur.

Putting aside the massive scale of FF7 and it's variety, i think it's pretty fair to say that part of why SE can not make something this scale is also because they fucked up a lot during Gen 7 and I don't think they sadly have the coherence or the full manpower of CD project for a single project.

Like if Square managed to keep a steady route during the PS3 era that might've been in a position today where they could've put everything in a single huge-ass game.

Yeah obviously more Midgar stuff would be awesome. Someone has also shown Kalm which will be great to see actually fleshed out, Gongaga (we might get some Zack stuff there too), Rocket Town, Wutai, cosmo canyon, temple of the ancients and so many other places outsides Midgar that are incredibly diverse. I'm going over the locations again and there's just a shitload of very different places.

One of my biggest questions is how if they're gonna make the goofy ennemies that FF7 had.

I mean look at this bullshit
CVnpeYpU8AEtRLD.png

It's litteraly a house

by making you beat up an actual house
it doesnt have to make sense its magic so i dont gotta explain shit

JeffZero

Purple Drazi

Its huge.

I wouldn't really regard my statement as "making a mockery." It's an important step forward and it will be considered in many conversations over the next several years.

Its huge.

Oh, I'm not underselling the scope of TW3 at all or trying to discredit. CDPR did a great job with it and the final product is testament to their skills. Sorry if it comes off that way.

It's just the beginning concepts and goals of the game are very different.

TW3? The idea is "Okay, this is what we want to make, and here's how we're going to do it."

FFVII? "Well shit, we have all this stuff and millions of hungry fans to please, and we gotta do it all over again with 400x times the power 20 years later."

HeelPower

I wouldn't really regard my statement as "making a mockery." It's an important step forward and it will be considered in many conversations over the next several years.

oh sorry,its not about your statements or the users I quoted per se.

Its just that I saw these comparison across multiple FF7 threads ,and people quickly brushed aside TW3 as "oh it was just quick and dirty copy pasta".

JeffZero

Purple Drazi

Its just that I saw these comparison across multiple FF7 threads ,and people quickly brushed aside TW3 as "oh it was just quick and dirty copy pasta".

Oh yeah, that's definitely a gross oversimplification and I could never get onboard with statements like those.

Boke1879

That wasn't my intent at all. CD projekt and Witcher 3 get all the praise from me. It's my favorite game this year.

But like other said before me. They had a goal with that game and they knew how to realize it and make it work. I didn't mean for my comment to come off like "copy paste"

It just I feel both games aren't comparable. Not if fans want a true 1:1 remake scale wise that Nomura and Co. seem to want as well.

Never had an issue with a dev team putting a huge amount of work and time into an ip or engine plus ip and planning a sequel to make it worthwhile. Sometimes a second game is required. Releasing a $120 game doesn't sound like a good idea. Of course a FF7 remake ideally should be done in one go story wise but I can understand the cost and time problems. They say it will be a substantial release each time so

Ishida

Banned

I did. And the world just cannot compare with the scope and variety of FFVII.

And I'm not belittling TW3.

HeelPower

That wasn't my intent at all. CD projekt and Witcher 3 get all the praise from me. It's my favorite game this year.

But like other said before me. They had a goal with that game and they knew how to realize it and make it work. I didn't mean for my comment to come off like "copy paste"

It just I feel both games aren't comparable. Not if fans want a true 1:1 remake scale wise that Nomura and Co. seem to want as well.

Oh, I'm not underselling the scope of TW3 at all or trying to discredit. CDPR did a great job with it and the final product is testament to their skills. Sorry if it comes off that way.

It's just the beginning concepts and goals of the game are very different.

TW3? The idea is "Okay, this is what we want to make, and here's how we're going to do it."

FFVII? "Well shit, we have all this stuff and millions of hungry fans to please, and we gotta do it all over again with 400x times the power 20 years later."

With that I agree.

I also think FF7R would be more complex if properly realized than pretty much any other RPG,while being fully aware that TW3's world was insane in its own right!

tuxfool

Banned

There is a lot of asset reuse in the witcher 3, and with GTAV and any other open world game today. Games are designed with this in mind and are no lesser for it.

Now, FF7 on account of its static backgrounds and rather simplistic character/npc models could get away with making a lot of unique designs. For a 1:1 of FF7 they just can't do this.

They can't re-appropriate (a lot of) assets from Midgar and then place them in the Forgotten City.

Boke1879

There is a lot of asset reuse in the witcher 3, and with GTAV and any other open world game today. Games are designed with this in mind and are no lesser for it.

Now, FF7 on account of its static backgrounds and rather simplistic character/npc models could get away with making a lot of unique designs. For a 1:1 of FF7 they just can't do this.

They can't re-appropriate (a lot of) assets from Midgar and then place them in the Forgotten City.

My thing with GTAV has little to do with it on the technical level and more about it and just a behemoth sales wise. GTA can afford to not show up for 5 years because as a game it'll sell over 30 million easily.

tuxfool

Banned
My thing with GTAV has little to do with it on the technical level and more about it and just a behemoth sales wise. GTA can afford to not show up for 5 years because as a game it'll sell over 30 million easily.

Yeah, absolutely. Rockstar knows it can spend whatever on it and they'll recoup their costs in no time. This definitely isn't the case for a JRPG, even if it is called FF7.

jnWake

The huge snake outside Midgar will look incredible in the remake.

I have to wonder though, how will the Chocobo stuff work here? Will it conflict with the episodic nature of the game?

The huge snake outside Midgar will look incredible in the remake.

I have to wonder though, how will the Chocobo stuff work here? Will it conflict with the episodic nature of the game?

invisible walls
games link to each other to allow back tracking from another game
lots of stuff can be done

JackelZXA

I just hope the splits aren't too severe. most of disc 2 should be given at the same time because most of it is stuff that would already be mapped, and that seems to be the big sticking point. In another thread people were talking that splitting the game in a natural way and disc 1 content would be most of the heavy lifting. It would be weird if the game got split up more than a few parts per disc. Midgar could easily be a full part and then breaking at alot of major beats would work. (Junon Boat, Cosmo Canyon, Forgotten City/Northern Crater?, Cloud's recovery, Midgar Raid) I feel like the weapons thing is something that alot of people probably forgot was a major part of the game, so it'd be interesting if there were any weird reactions to them when the game got to that part. (It'd also fit that "telling a complete story with each episode" thing since the huge materia/weapons storyline is such it's own story...How long do you spend without cloud in the party? I feel like it's a large part but it might not be as big as I remember)

invisible walls

It isn't really until highwind shows up that you can really just go anywhere. It's pretty directed by which vehicle you have up until a certain point, so restructuring the game so that highwind is the point where you can go back to any location and do all the sidequests wouldn't break the mold too much. (By then you'd have visited most major locations and cities)

TriAceJP

Not a big fan of the Dissidia reference as I found those games way too Dragon Ball Z and less Final Fantasy, but excited for the seamless battles.

I'm wondering if the parts stack into each other, so I can seamlessly travel to an older location without having to swap discs/installs/whathaveyou.

invisible walls

Oh, rad.

Fou-Lu

Not a big fan of the Dissidia reference as I found those games way too Dragon Ball Z and less Final Fantasy, but excited for the seamless battles.

I'm wondering if the parts stack into each other, so I can seamlessly travel to an older location without having to swap discs/installs/whathaveyou.

But I mean, the power levels of most FF games are DBZ or beyond.

How many playable character does Witcher 3 have? How many attack spells? How many summons? How many support materia? How varied are the locations? Do they have locations like Midgar, Costa Del Sol, Cosmo Canyon, Gold Saucer, Crater, ? How many mini games does it have? How many types of vehicles?

The problem with FF7remake isnt the size of the world, thats only part of the problem.

Ray Down

Banned
But I mean, the power levels of most FF games are DBZ or beyond.

People forget Ultimecia could compress time destroying universes and basically became time and space, Nexron being an avatar of death itself, Exdeath basically being able to attack from a different dimension basically becoming a multiversal threat or Cloud of Darkness having the power to devour universes with the void. Sephiroth by word of god is the strongest thing in its universe stronger then KoTR which shatters the dimension it exists in in its final attack.

JackelZXA

How many playable character does Witcher 3 have? How many attack spells? How many summons? How many support materia? How varied are the locations? Do they have locations like Midgar, Costa Del Sol, Cosmo Canyon, Gold Saucer, Crater, ? How many mini games does it have? How many types of vehicles?

The problem with FF7remake isnt the size of the world, thats only part of the problem.

FF7's still a VERY dense game. Alot of that is because content generation was a bit easier with the technology of the time. I had to look at a walkthrough to remember "Gongaga Village" and it's reactor. Like....theres big moments everyone remembers, but there's still so much more just....individual locations and unique interiors and exteriors. The game was designed in a way that isn't how a large game would be built nowadays. Remember Bone Village? Junon is a massive place on its own even. And yeah there's the issue of just how many individual assets there are. npc's, weapons, monsters, spells, summons....its a dense as fuck game.

JackelZXA

I think some things will be changed sure. Like I honestly can't see us climbing a giant pipe to reach Shinra HQ.

They'll just make it more cinematic. Like when Cloud uses a dolphin to help him jump up to the junon landing pad, or when you dig up fossils to find the midgar 5 key. .......

SeZMehK

It's going to be interesting to see how Thunderhead (Cloud) is going to look like when cross dressing. Lol.

I hope you get that reference, lol.

farisr

I don't understand one thing, they are removing some stuff from the original game or not ?
Yes, they will be removing some stuff from the original game. What will it be, we don't know. These cuts will be a result of things that don't fit in or can't be adapted anymore with the new style, or will be altered to fit in. But for the most part, they're going to try to keep in as much things as possible.
One of my biggest questions is how if they're gonna make the goofy ennemies that FF7 had.

I mean look at this bullshit
CVnpeYpU8AEtRLD.png

It's litteraly a house
This probably falls under the "some stuff that will get cut" category.

papo

But that's the thing FFVII world is actually a world with 5 continents. I agree that TW3 has more to do in that space, but FFVII has the bigger space and more full fledge towns.

TW3 is humongous, but by today's standards translating FFVII would be an even bigger task if they choose to do a full open world, not a scaled overworld with tons of areas.

I really hope they keep this in mind when translating the monsters over.

Also, it would be nice to have an actual Sapphire Weapon fight this time around.

fuck it while their at it just add all the Warriors
Omega,Ultima,Sapphire,Jade,every gem in the friggen Universe
im serious too
i want more super bosses

Ruff

I think some things will be changed sure. Like I honestly can't see us climbing a giant pipe to reach Shinra HQ.

Man maybe not but climbing the wreckage of the fallen plate with the entire collapsed Sector 7 plate in flames in the background was all sorts of epic and really set the mood for the all sorts of hell you were about to bring upon that damn no good Shinra Inc.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I wonder, if they'd just come out and said in a single sentence "We're remaking Final Fantasy VII for PS4, and instead of just a single game, we'll be adapting it into a multiple, full-length titles." if the reaction would be different.

The more we learn about this, the less concerned I am.
Truth.

If they said from the beginning, "we're remaking FFVII as a trilogy", people would be wildly positive and would understand that the scope of things would increase significantly.

Now you have had half a year of people thinking they were getting "a" remake, and now mistakenly doing the math thinking they're going to have to pay for 1/3rd of a full game at a time :p

R0ckman

Eh, I liked the corn rows on Barret, but this is much better for a more accurate reflection his age. Liked that they toned him down too, more "dominant black man" and less "angry black man".

MrHoot

One thing for sure, if they add a dlc for permanent cross-dressing costume
for every character
, i'll get it.

Top Bottom