• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV Hands-On Impressions

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
this dude has different colored eyes

is he like noctis?

is noctis' eye color changing still a thing?

Or it could be heterochromia like Yuna

mariacavali_heterochromia.jpg

Dark_castle

Relax I was just kidding. I fully respect Ishida because I think it's admirable to be so passionate about something that you would defend near everything about it. And he and I are both huge Chrono Cross/ DB GT fans, so we cool. :)

injurai

Banned
Versus13 was always apart of FNC, the same with Type 0. From the start. The problem is that FNC didn't go as planned with the bad reception FF13 got, and the constant delaying of the other FNC games. Type 0 didn't even come out until 2011, 6 years after the announcement

This is not true. Versus XIII was a solo project that Nomura wanted to pursue, the pitch being a darker more serious game based on Kingdom Hearts gameplay. He was given the green light. Nojima and Nomura penned a new internal bible that detailed a new vision for the FF crystal mythos. At this time FFXIII was a PS2 game and had nothing to do with FNC. When the XIII team whom lacked any strong vision was told their project would move onto the PS3 they decided to take a look at the FNC bible. As more internal teams took note of what Nomura and Nojima where doing the marketing team working on FNC floated the idea of a connected mythos. That's when Nomura's project was named Versus XIII. It's also why early on it was heavily reiterated on that all the FNC games did not take place in the same universe, but where completely separate universes that shared the same cosmic governing forces. So in one sense Versus XIII was the original game that this mythos was for, but FNC was the extended branding was formed.

Inuhanyou

All of the FNC mythos was supposed to surround FF13, Versus 13 and Agito at the time of the announcement of the 3 games. Everything else that may have happend before that is speculation and irrelevant to the fact that these games as we know them were intended as FNC games.

This is not true. Versus XIII was a solo project that Nomura wanted to pursue, the pitch being a darker more serious game based on Kingdom Hearts gameplay. He was given the green light. Nojima and Nomura penned a new internal bible that detailed a new vision for the FF crystal mythos. At this time FFXIII was a PS2 game and had nothing to do with FNC. When the XIII team whom lacked any strong vision was told their project would move onto the PS3 they decided to take a look at the FNC bible. As more internal teams took note of what Nomura and Nojima where doing the marketing team working on FNC floated the idea of a connected mythos. That's when Nomura's project was named Versus XIII. It's also why early on it was heavily reiterated on that all the FNC games did not take place in the same universe, but where completely separate universes that shared the same cosmic governing forces. So in one sense Versus XIII was the original game that this mythos was for, but FNC was the extended branding was formed.

If you are going to make some claims about ps2 era FNC claims, you are going to need to back it up. At least from 2006 on, Versus was DEFINITELY part of the FNC.

injurai

Banned
If you are going to make some claims about ps2 era FNC claims, you are going to need to back it up. At least from 2006 on, Versus was DEFINITELY part of the FNC.

Yeah, from 2006 on it certainly was. Earlier on though the "fnc bible" was part of Nomura's independent project whilst XIII was completely separate. Nojima started work on his mythos as early as 2002 with Nomura working closesly with him. The reason it was expanded is because XIII lacked a narrative vision early on. Everything we saw though was post FNC era work. What we know about the PS2 era stuff comes from translated interviews with Nomura and others. I've tracked them down in the past, but I've done it a half a dozen times for people in the past.

Yeah, from 2006 on it certainly was. Earlier on though the "fnc bible" was part of Nomura's independent project whilst XIII was completely separate. Nojima started work on his mythos as early as 2002 with Nomura working closesly with him. The reason it was expanded is because XIII lacked a narrative vision early on. Everything we saw though was post FNC era work. What we know about the PS2 era stuff comes from translated interviews with Nomura and others. I've tracked them down in the past, but I've done it a half a dozen times for people in the past.

Well, did you save those links?

Squire

Banned
Relax I was just kidding. I fully respect Ishida because I think it's admirable to be so passionate about something that you would defend near everything about it. And he and I are both huge Chrono Cross/ DB GT fans, so we cool. :)

GT? Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Better than the nonsense that is super. "Oh yeah let's just change the color of super saiyan and add some god whatever, and golden freeza, and EVIL GOKU! how creative!"

Still better than GT.

Back on topic, neat right up.

It's been a trend for many previous previews criticizing the graphics. While they aren't nearly as good as promised, I think they suffice. Hopefully NEO will deliver a better looking game, guess it's time to save for a NEO. More importantly consistent performance from a potential patch.

I'm definitely gonna play this on PS4 but I'd also double dip if I had a gaming computer.

Permanently A

Thanks for the write up! I'm not too worried about the graphics issues -- according to the first leak they've only just started porting it to consoles a few months back. 3 more months of development time could improve the situation greatly. Of course their priority will be fixing major bugs, but that doesn't mean they can't have a graphics optimization team working concurrently.

This is what I feared. The English translators took a lot of liberties with the script and seem to have been allowed to remove parts of it. This is likely why some of the Japanese banter isn't subtitled -- it isn't translated in the first place. The problem extends to cutscenes as well where whole lines are removed in the English translation and thus won't show up in subtitles. The script doesn't flow well at all and doesn't even match what's happening on screen at times (e.g. the reaction to finding out about
the king's death
from a newspaper is only lame because it's not even mentioned in the original Japanese script). Things aren't looking too well for people who want to play this game in English, regardless of whether they're playing the dubbed or the subbed version. :(

aw, what the fuck man

I need to hurry up and learn moonrunes

Jeffrey

This dude was in the third dungeon and was pretty tough. He kept one-shotting everyone with his quick slashes, the only way I avoided that was by doing the block parry thing. Basically hold square then quickly press circle when the prompt comes up. It was very frustrating having no control over my party and so they kept dying.

This worries me the most.

The reason I hate playing action rpgs with AI party (Tales, Star ocean etc) on hard difficulties is because of having to baby sit your dumb ai members that never guard or parry or anything.

JCreasy

Ugh. I don't want this.

I'm canceling my pre-order and waiting to see how the Neo version turns out.

It's 2016. PS4.

We deserve better.

Still excited for the game, but it's no longer a priority. I'm thinking I should just wait it out for a PC port, since I heard whispers of that happening at some point.

aw, what the fuck man

I need to hurry up and learn moonrunes

Seriously! I resume studying... first thing tomorrow morning.

Limality

Banned
Still hyped. Looking forward to the journey these guys will have. Graphics Quality won't be an issue for me. Heck, if I can play FFVII and FFVIII in 2016, some aliasing and 16-bit bushes shouldn't hinder me from enjoying this.

Thanks for the write up! I'm not too worried about the graphics issues -- according to the first leak they've only just started porting it to consoles a few months back. 3 more months of development time could improve the situation greatly. Of course their priority will be fixing major bugs, but that doesn't mean they can't have a graphics optimization team working concurrently.

This is what I feared. The English translators took a lot of liberties with the script and seem to have been allowed to remove parts of it. This is likely why some of the Japanese banter isn't subtitled -- it isn't translated in the first place. The problem extends to cutscenes as well where whole lines are removed in the English translation and thus won't show up in subtitles. The script doesn't flow well at all and doesn't even match what's happening on screen at times (e.g. the reaction to finding out about
the king's death
from a newspaper is only lame because it's not even mentioned in the original Japanese script
). Things aren't looking too well for people who want to play this game in English, regardless of whether they're playing the dubbed or the subbed version. :(

Literally what the fuck is that.

Untranslated banter would have been bad enough, jesus christ.

Falk

that puzzling face
I got called out for user bait hard, and this is quite evidently that on the opposite token. Interesting to see

The person you namedropped hadn't even posted in the thread you namedropped in. This is the second time I'm telling you this.

If you think a nudge about what not to do is 'getting called out' maybe you're posting on the wrong forums.

edit: In contrast, this post *is* you getting called out.

Ran rp

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2015/...ents-have-been-removed-from-final-fantasy-xv/

Much of the game we knew as Final Fantasy Versus XIII is no more, now made evident today by director Hajime Tabata who shared new reasoning behind changes long suspected. By far the biggest change is the removal of Stella Nox Fleuret – who was set to be the main heroine opposite of Noctis.

“We wanted to keep her as a heroine in FFXV’s story, and pursued ways to tie her in to FFXV’s design as well, but we found it increasingly difficult to make sense of Stella’s character and role within FFXV,” Tabata explained. “So then we thought, do we want to recreate Stella with a different role and image, or do we want to start over with a new hreoine? And after a lot of consideration, we decided not to include Stella in FFXV. Instead, we have a new heroine named Luna, who has a different role within the story. So we will be talking more about her in the future.”

The second change Tabata mentioned was in regard to the city of Insomnia and a scene once seen as the opening of Versus XIII wherein Noctis visits a party taking place in the city. That sequence too has been “deleted” from Final Fantasy XV.

“Now, if you have been following info on Versus, you may already know this, but there was a sequence of scenes right after the party where the city is attacked by the enemy forces of Niflheim,” said Tabata. “That sequence has been deleted from FFXV. And there is a good reason behind it.

“Scenes like those had to be regressed because of a very critical factor. So now, the sequence is: Noct and his retinue leave Insomnia, and then… What was it? Then the Niflheim army attacks the crown city. There’s an extremely important reason behind this decision. In fact, it could be construed a spoiler, so I can’t tell you about it here.

tumblr_mykn4uviCA1rbngrzo1_500.gif

Dark_castle

PSY・S;214808394 said:
Now I want to see the party scene in pixel form.

edit: now i'm depressed again.

freakin' newspaper

The guys find out about the invasion of Insomnia by reading the morning newspaper. This is really lame. In relation to where they are at the point, Insomnia is essentially just over a nearby hill, it is hard to believe they wouldn't have heard or seen any signs of an invading army going by. I wasn't invested enough in the guys, Noctis, Insomnia, Regis or their quest at this point so this rather pivotal scene lacked impact.

From OP's impression. It's really quite bizarre if it's true that Insomnia were that close to where Lestallum (I assume that's where the newspaper scene took place?) was. Don't tell me something as major as the news of an invasion of a fucking nation didn't travel quickly around the neighbourhood to where the current party were? They have to wait until the newspaper writers report them, which means it's not an immediate report at that. Them finding this out through a live broadcast news on TV would have made way more sense if Insomnia is actually quite distant away from Lestallum.

Really, this whole newspaper reveal is unbelievable. I can't believe we traded a potentially exciting escape sequence out of Insomnia for a cutscene of the party finding out the invasion in the most passive, uninspiring way.

Inuhanyou

PSY・S;214808394 said:
Now I want to see the party scene in pixel form.

edit: now i'm depressed again.

freakin' newspaper

No tears now, only stella

Frumix

Suffering From Success
PSY・S;214808658 said:

Well you know, when you're given a bunch of disjointed cinematics, ideas and images and told to make a video game out of it, things like that happen. We can only guess how much of a game Versus was, but probably not much.
Then you think about how they wanted Versus to be a series of multiple games before they shipped even one.
The whole project is a laughing matter.

From OP's impression. It's really quite bizarre if it's true that Insomnia were that close to where Lestallum (I assume that's where the newspaper scene took place?) was. Don't tell me something as major as the news of an invasion of a fucking nation didn't travel quickly around the neighbourhood to where the current party were? They have to wait until the newspaper writers report them, which means it's not an immediate report at that. Them finding this out through a live broadcast news on TV would have made way more sense if Insomnia is actually quite distant away from Lestallum.

Really, this whole newspaper reveal is unbelievable. I can't believe we traded a potentially exciting escape sequence out of Insomnia for a cutscene of the party finding out the invasion in the most passive, uninspiring way.

Yep, that's depressing, but at least we get Kingsglaive, which seems to be the least tolerable compromise, imo.

Gbraga

I didn't watch Kingsglaive, so maybe I'm underestimating how obvious it was to the public, but even though Regis was expecting the invasion, wasn't Niflheim invited into Lucis on official business, and only attacked once already inside? It's not like they declared war and marched all the way to Insomnia, it was a sucker punch, at least on the public's eyes. Regis knew it would happen, but officially they were there to sign a peace treaty. So it makes sense that news would start to go around only when shit was going down already.

The TGS 2014 trailer even starts with them listening to the radio and reports of the peace negotiations still ongoing. Of course, that might not even be a part of the game anymore.

TRI Mike

"I've just recently been playing FF VI and VII for the first time so to me Cindy is just the worst thing ever. Not saying Final Fantasy has ever been the pinnacle of progressive ideals but Jesus... Ridiculous design."

Stopped reading here.

Gbraga

"I've just recently been playing FF VI and VII for the first time so to me Cindy is just the worst thing ever. Not saying Final Fantasy has ever been the pinnacle of progressive ideals but Jesus... Ridiculous design."

Stopped reading here.

Are you alergic to people who disagree with you? What's the point of even going into an impressions thread if you won't read it unless it matches your preconceptions?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I've said it before, but how annoying that PS3 and PS4 were actually sold on the back of this game..... And now you need a Neo for it not to look like crap.

Dark_castle

I didn't watch Kingsglaive, so maybe I'm underestimating how obvious it was to the public, but even though Regis was expecting the invasion, wasn't Niflheim invited into Lucis on official business, and only attacked once already inside? It's not like they declared war and marched all the way to Insomnia, it was a sucker punch, at least on the public's eyes. Regis knew it would happen, but officially they were there to sign a peace treaty. So it makes sense that news would start to go around only when shit was going down already.

The TGS 2014 trailer even starts with them listening to the radio and reports of the peace negotiations still ongoing. Of course, that might not even be a part of the game anymore.

Yes, I'm aware that it was a sucker punch, secret betrayal type of invasion, but you're telling me it takes them that long to figure out about this that their first instance of knowing comes from a newspaper, which reports event that happened on the previous day, not the same day. Like what the hell? So someone bothered to report the invasion to newspaper agency, as they slowly put them on print, but meanwhile something like a TV or radio station couldn't pick up the news and provide much more immediate report of the invasion? Better yet, how the fuck does nobody in the cast have any insiders who could call them and let them know about the incident?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It's not like there's other great games to buy those consoles for, or anything....
That's irrelevant if Final Fantasy is the primary reason you bought the console.

It's not a stretch to say these consoles were sold to many on the back of this game. It appeared at E3 2006 and then E3 2013, which were the big pitches for PS3 and PS4 respectively. I did grab a PS4 knowing I'd be ready for FFXV, and now the sentiment is that it's also going to be used to sell a Neo.

Well fine, capitalism and it's false promises. Buyer beware.. Just don't try and tell me "its all good", because it's not.

Whompa02

PSY・S;214808658 said:

Watching Kingsglaive I can understand why some of this was deleted already.

Hell even that scene during an early trailer of Versus, where the 4 guys were driving hastily, got retranslated into Kingsglaive into a totally new scene as well.

Most of Versus was repurposed into Kingsglaive already. FFXV is a totally new and different beast. What's left to see, is what content in the 2013 trailer translated into, for FFXV.

Sylas

Yes, I'm aware that it was a sucker punch, secret betrayal type of invasion, but you're telling me it takes them that long to figure out about this that their first instance of knowing comes from a newspaper, which reports event that happened on the previous day, not the same day. Like what the hell? So someone bothered to report the invasion to newspaper agency, as they slowly put them on print, but meanwhile something like a TV or radio station couldn't pick up the news and provide much more immediate report of the invasion? Better yet, how the fuck does nobody in the cast have any insiders who could call them and let them know about the incident?
It very much depends on the context of the invasion. The media could have largely been shut down--we don't really know what went down shortly after things got fucked up. A good invasion would make sure to do that I would think? Control the message while you're taking over.

The newspaper thing is easily explained as, "Someone that was there is giving us an exclusive story and we're getting it out there before we also get shut down." Someone doesn't have to report things to a newspaper. They've traditionally been much harder to get rid of than a television or radio broadcast.

It's really hard to criticize narrative decisions before you really know/have the narrative in your hands.

Jonm1010

Banned
Given that a lot of this game mirrors several of FF12's systems, I was wondering why you want to skip it?
More then anything? For a game built around story, I am beyond sick and tired of late teen angsty characters whining through convoluted plots.

The demo was not very engaging gameplay wise and some of the issues people continue to report about in these "hands on" make this feel like a game that is not worth 40+ hours when I still have a backlog of much more worthy games.

Top Bottom